Sign in to follow this  
Duke_of_Ray

Best game ever.

Not including OFP, what would be the next best game ever? My pick is Sid Meier's Gettysburg, a game that gave me tons of enjoyment, and set the way for my startegy games like it.

It would be one of these:

Doom (PC)

Dune (Amiga)

Times of Lore (C64)

Edit: Not to forget System Shock 1!

I have so many...

either Jagged Alliance 2 or the Rainbow 6 series.

Il-2(Flight Sim/PC) Soldier of Fortune 2(FPS/PC(Pitty about the crap damage moddeling))Metal Gear soldid 1&2(Playstation and Playstaion 2, awsome games) and Panzer Elite(Tank sim/PC)

Hey Solidsnake, i don't really understand what's so much fun about the FF series, you say you like them so i want to ask this question to you.

I've played the demo once (i've played the newest one, what is that? Number 10?) and i must say that i think it's extremely boring to me, what's so much fun when you need to attack and then let some other guy attack you, and then attack again, *yawn*...? Lots of ppl love these games but to me they look like Pokemon games, that's what they do too, right?

So please, can you tell me what's so much fun about it? Or are there things that i haven't seen yet?

Thanks...

ps: I must say that the graphics are very nice... biggrin.gif

Neverwinter Nights! That game is consuming me - it eats me alive! Aaaargh.. My soul is possessed by the Bioware Balor Lord and I cannot think a single rational thought! I.. must.. play.. Neverwinter.. Nights.. online.. all.. the.. time.. tounge.gif

I would say either:

Warhammer: Dark Omen - maybe an odd choice, but i've completed this at least 6 times (and enjoyed each time) and i generally loved it (i even considered getting into Warhammer but i couldn't grow the facial hair so there was no point)

Shogun: Total War - Same Again, I just keep coming back to it, i got it on its release date and i still play it occasionally today. Its a great game. Obviously it shares links with Dark Omen and the concepts are great.

Championship manager - I've never completed this (you can't do it really tounge.gif) but since i first got this about 3 years ago i've played it constantly, sometimes i have done nothing else. 5 days ago i started a game with Roma and created an amazing team, 4 days into that i started a Fulham side that is now getting constant attention, now i'm pondering whether to manage Barcelona, Atalanta or Watford. You can have your Metal Gear Solids, no game in the world will affect me the way CM has. After lo0ng sessions i visualise press meetings, interviews, and yes, i even talk about my teams as if i was on Jimmy Hills Sunday Supplement. Sad i know, but its amazing a game that looks like a spreadsheet can activate your imagination in such a wierd way.

Metal Gear Solid - The Graphics are fantastic, i've had this since it was released however and i haven't been arsed completing it, as soon as Solid's bit is up and you turn into the blonde hairdresser type guy i just get the feeling like i don't want to play it anymore. In school my Roommate completed it and i watched some of it, and like i said, the Graphics are great.

Half-Life - The game that revolutionized the fps, and brought the world the pleasures of counterstrike (i love it and no amount of flaming can change that) and Day of defeat. I don't need to explain why it kicks ass.

My Top Three Games of all time are:

1. Champ Manager

2. Operation Flashpoint

3. Shogun: Total war

Tekken, Street Fighter(only the first one), Grand Turismo, Quake, Chuck Yeager's Air Combat(early 90s), Silent Hunter, Simcity, C&C, Star Craft, Shogun the Total war...

Close Comabt 5 was good, MOHAA was great, and the NFL 2k series is some of the best foo....uhhh...gridiron games ever. smile.gif

Dude, CC5 had nothing on CCs 2 and 3.

Best games ever:

Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord

Total Annihilation

Silent Hunter

Steel Beasts

MS Flight Simulator (pick a version, but lets just say 2002 Pro)

Deus Ex

Half Life (I guess)

Mig Alley

Falcon 4

LONGBOW 2!!!!!!!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DarkLight @ Aug. 18 2002,08:02)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hey Solidsnake, i don't really understand what's so much fun about the FF series, you say you like them so i want to ask this question to you.

I've played the demo once (i've played the newest one, what is that? Number 10?) and i must say that i think it's extremely boring to me, what's so much fun when you need to attack and then let some other guy attack you, and then attack again, *yawn*...?  Lots of ppl love these games but to me they look like Pokemon games, that's what they do too, right?

So please, can you tell me what's so much fun about it?  Or are there things that i haven't seen yet?

Thanks...

ps: I must say that the graphics are very nice... biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

You dont play an RPG for the battles, you play them to experience the story line and the events that go with that. It can be a very moving experience (Call me a nerd if you wish), especially in the case of FF7. 8, i thought wasnt nearly as good.

Anyway, other than OFP, i would have to say....

-The rainbow six series. I was soooo afraid of dying in that game. I cant count how many times that series got my blood pumping. I cannot wait for raven shield!!

-DF:Land Warrior for the sniping. That game gave me a purpose like no other.......until OFP came out.

-Call me crazy, but, Max Payne. For one simple reason. Its fun!

Half Life is THE best game ever (tied with ofp) simply because of its great community (the games been around for over 5 years now, and modding still continues), and the way it revolutionized fps's.

I cant believe some of you say that half life sucks! Those who say that are insane or have some type of mental problem!

Other games I love:

Soldier of Fortune 2, MOHAA, RTCW, NOLF, Deus Ex, IL2 Sturmovik, and Empire Earth

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (USMC Sniper @ Aug. 18 2002,12:54)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Half Life is THE best game ever (tied with ofp) simply because of its great community (the games been around for over 5 years now, and modding still continues), and the way it revolutionized fps's.

I cant believe some of you say that half life sucks! Those who say that are insane or have some type of mental problem!<span id='postcolor'>

Well, i dont think it SUCKS, in so many words, i just fail to realize how it "revolutionized" FPSs.

It had a far more compelling story line, and nice graphics, yes, but it still operates under all the faulty physics of every other FPS out there. You can still take whole clips of ammo, and some light explosives, not to mention blasts from high energy weapons, without dying. You can even go so far as to use the power of those weapons to boost you higher into the air when you jump! You can still run as fast a car can drive, you can still fire fully automatic weapons with little or no recoil while running that fast, etc.

I dont think it was a bad game at all, back when it was just coming out. But seeing as how FPSs were founded on those unrealistic physics, i would say the more realistic games like the R6 series and OFP are the ones that "revolutionized" it.

F15 on zx81 smile.gif My very first flightsim !

Rocketball on the Commodore 64

Wings on the Amiga

Lucasarts adventure games ( all of them )

F22 and EF2000 from DID, Longbow2, IL2, CFS2

And RB6 series

i don't know about you guys but even though classic games might have a place in my heart since they were the first let's face it, they were in reality complete crap. few games stand out with their gameplay and replayabilty and i'll list them here.

duke-nukem series: ripping off an aliens head and using the neck as a potty was one of the defining moments of my life. oh and the pig-cops, classic.

fallout series : what can i say, mad-max redux.

X-com series: i used to live for this game, it's more complex in terms of gameplay and rewarding than most of the "hottest" new releases.

civilization series : talk about heaven on earth, it's still the best game in it's genre out there.

damn i'm a phllistine, i forgot about half-life.

Yeah, I never understand why Half Life revolutionised FPS. I mean Quake 1 was the first proper 3D game to use complete freedom of movement (I think) and that rocked. Half Life just gave us clean hi-res graphics and interactive characters.

You really need to rate games in their own categories, saying OFP is better than Command & Conquer is pointless as they are completely different games. My top five games (apart from OFP) in the genres I play are:

First Person Shooters

1: Operation Flashpoint

2: Deus Ex

3: System Shock 2

Real Time Strategy

1: Homeworld & Cataclysm

2: Warzone 2100

3: Command & Conquer (any version will do)

Space Flight Sim

1: Wing Commander (any of the last three)

2: X Beyond the Frontier (and X-Tension)

3: X-Wing series

Hard question...

For RPGs it would go

Fallout 1&2 (tie)

Morrowind (If you haven't played this, your missing out on one of the most open ended RPGs ever. Not to mention it has an awesome MOD community)

Xenogears (good PS1 rpg)

Darklands (an old pc rpg set in midieval Germany, VERY fun and addicting

Space/Flight Sim

Wing Commander 3&4 (The storylines in these kept me up all night. And I actually loved the FMV, go figure)

Combat Flight Simulator 2 (Pretty, and alot of fun. Make sure and download the Stennis. I managed to land an old German bomber on that badboy)

FPS

Halflife (Loved the storyline, loved the universe, played CS till my nose bled. But a year or so ago the mod community took a nose dive for the most part other then Day of Defeat)

Duke Nukem 3D (Nothing says fear like camping somewhere and suddenly hearing the *CLICK, WHINE* of somone planting laser trip mines behind you)

Medal of Honor Allied Assault (I don't know why, but I really got into that game. It was pretty weak though, there wasn't even blood)

Racing

Always loved the Need for Speed series ('cept for #2)

Other

Syndicate (There is nothing more fun then using that mind ray and getting a whole city of people to follow you around and attack other people)

Roller Coaster Tycoon ('Nuff said)

GTA3 (do the bad things)

Still don't get...

Neverwinter Nights (I own this game, I keep it patched, but it just dosen't do anything for me. The into has to be one of the most boring, convulted, drawn out affairs I've ever seen in a game. I guess the main thing is I hate being constantly directed. After playing Morrowind I doubt I'll ever get any enjoyment out of the main NWN quest. Hopefully the mod community comes out with something worthwhile.)

Star Craft (*shudder*)

- The Rainbow Six series [P.C.]

- Metal Gear Solid [PS/P.C.]

- The original Mario Kart [sNES]

- The X-Wing Series (especially XvT) [P.C.]

- The original Sonic the Hedgehog [MD]

Shameful GameCube Plug

For all you Resident Evil fans out there, pay close attention to the reworked version of the original game, out next month on Game Cube, and the upcoming Resident Evil: Zero, out next year on GameCube biggrin.gif

wow.gif2--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DarkLight @ Aug. 18 2002,17wow.gif2)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hey Solidsnake, i don't really understand what's so much fun about the FF series, you say you like them so i want to ask this question to you.

I've played the demo once (i've played the newest one, what is that? Number 10?) and i must say that i think it's extremely boring to me, what's so much fun when you need to attack and then let some other guy attack you, and then attack again, *yawn*...?  Lots of ppl love these games but to me they look like Pokemon games, that's what they do too, right?

So please, can you tell me what's so much fun about it?  Or are there things that i haven't seen yet?

Thanks...

ps: I must say that the graphics are very nice... biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Pokemon ripped off Squaresoft so they stole the idea of that kind of attack

Final Fantasy kicks your FPS ass!

FPS=

Oh i walk around, click click hes dead! hahaha thats fun