dram

Announcing new sub-forum for editing!

Hello everyone!

This is the new sub-forum specifically for discussing anything related to editing Take On Mars. With the addition of Steam Workshop and the release of our editing tools, there isn't a better time.

The game currently support Addons, which means additional content that is plugged into the game. Addons can contain custom vehicles, scenarios, locations, and their required models, textures, sounds, and so on. Custom vehicles and scnearios also support their own custom GUI, scripts and the like.

As time progresses, we will be releasing step-by-step instructions on how to make your own addons.

Later on, we plan to add support for Mods, which means changing content that exists in the game at present. This means creators will be able to overhaul things such as the Mission Control room, the Map, the Lab, and even the Main Menu. Anything will be possible to edit.

Lastly, we plan on implementing support for Total Conversions, these are similar to mods, but are much more extensive. These mean completely replacing the game with something else!

A lot to look forward to in the coming weeks, enjoy!

Martin Melicharek,

Project Lead - Take On Mars

• Like 1

Just curious here, but would mods (or more likely total conversions) be able to add network code, so you could end up with a multiplayer Mission Control where different people are able to control different rovers on the same copy of a map?

Request for tutorial for importing mesh/textures from Autodesk Maya, I have a modular building project that I think would be a great addon for TKOM, but I have no clue how to get the assets into the game.

Anyone able to assist?

Request for tutorial for importing mesh/textures from Autodesk Maya, I have a modular building project that I think would be a great addon for TKOM, but I have no clue how to get the assets into the game.

Anyone able to assist?

https://trello-attachments.s3.amazonaws.com/546c99f95e4811c6ce89bb94/54d9c9c0df31c45003583a4e/c92aa4f305fd2f46932e7ded6ea6a766/graphic_documentation_EN.pdf

This should help :) a PDF documenting everything needed to import and set up models from Maya to Workbench.

Just a note, in the materials names, Maya dislikes the / sign, replacing it with an underscore. The easiest way to keep the / in there is to put FBXASC047 instead. So where a material path may be obj/structures/crap it would become objFBXASC047structuresFBXASC047crap

Hi,

I just got introduced to this great game. As I'm a professional developer myself I of course wanted to mod this game to my liking. Mainly I want to extend the existing entities with new commands. I've search the forum and wiki pages, but could not find a good guide on how to create mod's. Specifically I need to know how to get the mods to load in the game. The programming is of course my task and I'm quite competent at that. What I need help to do is:

- I don't know how to unpack the example mod. I got the game data unpacked from the workbench, but cannot find a way to unpack any of the other .pak-files.

- I do not know how to extend existing entities. (might be the example mod answers that, but I can't get it unpacked :))

- I do not know how to repack (if needed) the mod and make it loadable from the game.

I feel that this information should be the absolute minimum requirement for this sub-forum as this is probably the first place all new modders go to get that info.

Thank you for a great game, and thank you for keeping it moddable!

Hi,

I just got introduced to this great game. As I'm a professional developer myself I of course wanted to mod this game to my liking. Mainly I want to extend the existing entities with new commands. I've search the forum and wiki pages, but could not find a good guide on how to create mod's. Specifically I need to know how to get the mods to load in the game. The programming is of course my task and I'm quite competent at that. What I need help to do is:

- I don't know how to unpack the example mod. I got the game data unpacked from the workbench, but cannot find a way to unpack any of the other .pak-files.

- I do not know how to extend existing entities. (might be the example mod answers that, but I can't get it unpacked :))

- I do not know how to repack (if needed) the mod and make it loadable from the game.

I feel that this information should be the absolute minimum requirement for this sub-forum as this is probably the first place all new modders go to get that info.

Thank you for a great game, and thank you for keeping it moddable!

Hi!

Very happy you are enjoying the game :)

Unpacking and repacking the example mod, or your own is done through the Addons menu, accessible from the main menu. There you have several options, such as upload to steam, delete, pack, unpack, etc.

Here is a very quick guide I wrote on making a mod:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/244030/discussions/7/35221031502869733/

Here is a video I made earlier which will really help when looking for what to edit and where:

I hope that helps! If you need any help in the process, feel free to let me know (if you like you can add me on steam and I can assist you more directly). :)

Hi!

I didn't find any place for mission editing, so i put my problem here, i hope you don't mind. :)

Is there a way to secure equipment inside the dropship? I'm trying to create a multiplayer mission for a livestream. Using manned descending lander and putting anything inside it the smaller objects will bounce around inside the ship. The larger one would stay where i put them, sometimes they will falls over. But the cars are glitching trough the dropship parts, and also loosing some parts (mainly the wheels).

For a plan "B" a timed spawning will also do the trick, if i can spawn the items inside the ship. (Maybe a few premade spawn slot would be nice for this.)

Hi Kelemenlajos,

Actually the plan is to have the vehicle support payloads. That is, you would give it a 'link' of what to spawn (a config of items and their offsets relative to the body). This would enable custom loadouts like you desire :)

Is it possible to attach building pieces together in the editor? As in build a building like you would on a manned mission. My other question is how do I make my character spawn when playing my custom scenario? Any advice is appreciated, thanks.

Hi tprof1313,

It is not possible to attach building pieces together in the editor, but it is planned to be able to spawn entire, functional buildings using it. This is still WIP of course.

As for spawning your character, do you mean when you make your own scenario? If so, select CHARACTERS, which opens a list of spawnable characters, then simply aim the cursor somewhere and press T to spawn him there. If you then select him, you can set "Is Start Unit?" to true, which means that when you start the scenario from the scenarios menu you will automatically start as that character.

How do I go about putting stuff in crates and suit holders? I'd like to make a mission that starts in a manned lander, with suits in holders, supplies and equipment neatly arranged and all that.

Since I cannot create a new topic, I will reply here and hope for the best.

I am looking for the damn generic "Early Access Results" window that pops when you run science tests from a probe. I am going to (hopefully) do what the devs should have done and add actual results. I am proficient with Photoshop and scripting, and I can use Google to find some real science data you'd expect. I understand the scope of this is pretty big for my first mod, but if someone could please let me know where those objects are located within the game files, I'd be very grateful. I am watching mod tutorials as we speak and have the Workbench ready to go. 

Hello Martians and Dear Developers!!!

The game may well claim to be the best
I found the problem. I found in the game files Russian text of dialogs and windows. The problem is that I could not understand how to apply them. The game has unpacking files (Game Data Extractor), but there is no back packer ".pak" format. In addition, in the game settings interface language does not change, no Russian fonts. I would like to next version of the game to get to the main localization language.

Thanks in advance. I hope to be heard.

PS: Take on RUSSIANS!

Hi everyone,

especially Bohemia Interactive staff:

I am new to modding though I am fluent in c and c++. I watched your youtube video on how to mod and successfully unpacked, packed, added addon and stuff like that...

what I would like to do is

1) create new vehicles that use parts from the old ones -> not necessarily any big changes in models... but with the option of creating a new skeleton or something and make a working vehicle. For the beginning, that mainly applies to unmanned missions. I can't figure out how to do this.

2) modify existing vehicles, for example change their speed. When I tried increasing the speed for the small rover the joints / wheels fell apart. But I couldn't find the function in the code which is responsible for that. I also don't quite get the skeleton file on the small rover, "techsmallrb.cfg". Which number stands for which value, and what do they do exactly? The file is in \scripts\entities\configs\vehicles\rover\skeletons.

I would really, really appreciate the help! :)

Best regards,

Aliin