Sign in to follow this  
Tyl3r99

Disapointed with the full release content

Just wondering, how many people would be happy if due to the lack of vehicles BI added a tuned and optimized version of the A2 vehicles ( c130, f35, osprey, blackhawk, hind, civilian stuff etc. ) It would be easier and faster than mod new vehicles, and would add lots content.

Yeah I would be happy with that, they could use them as templates and maybe add more bits and bobs too them

I'm disapointed with weapons, the recycled parts on vehicles, lack of changes on controls and AI commanding, mod management, some UI (browser, Titan, vehicles in general), MP in general and the major one: sounds.

Most of these will be adressed on coming months by BI, I think.... And for the others, mods can duct tape it.

One thing i just realized........those few character faces we got in beta are all that were going to get?! seriously?

boy that VBS2 looks good. The fact that it has current military hardware which is something we all recognise and understand, is a major plus.

boy that VBS2 looks good. The fact that it has current military hardware which is something we all recognise and understand, is a major plus.

Actually there is only stuff from arma 2 and OA. :)

Actually there is only stuff from arma 2 and OA. :)

Well they indeed have more stuff than the ones of the video, TONS of it, they even make special content for diff costumers ( armies ).

I had been lucky enough to play a VBS copy and I would even say that it has way too much vehicles ( tend to have ALL the vehicles of the army of the costumer ), but it is a simulator, and has other goals than entertainment.

That made me smile..:rolleyes:

Really, get yourself A2CO and mod it, best thing you'll ever do..;) Can't go diving of course, there again who wants too..:p

That made me smile..:rolleyes:

Really, get yourself A2CO and mod it, best thing you'll ever do..;) Can't go diving of course, there again who wants too..:p

The improvement from A2 to A3 its much more than underwater warfare.

The improvement from A2 to A3 its much more than underwater warfare.

No its not, it looks better, that's where the comparison end's for me.;)

Play a really well modded A2 and there is a world of difference, if game-play realism is your thing. Complete immersion in a combat world, not possible (yet) in A3, but there in A2 and its sister 2'ss, imo of course..

Warfare/combat levels that are way above, what A3 can give at the moment, not saying it never will, but..

If you haven't seen that in A2, then you haven't played A2 to its potential. But it does have a few years on A3, however A3 will not change, other than what mod/addon makers do with it. Its hit its marketplace spot-on, I think anyway, can't fault BI on that.

No its not, it looks better, that's where the comparison end's for me.;)

That's just beyond belief...

No its not, it looks better, that's where the comparison end's for me.;) .

Obviously it's not fair to compare a 4 year old game with lots of mods with a still non-released game. But if you compare the raw games, A3 its way better, smooth movement, realistic visuals, huge Altis, the new drone and artillery engine, editor improved with sweet modules ( that have even hints to how to use them ), etc.

It hasn't been released yet, but its full of potential.

Obviously it's not fair to compare a 4 year old game with lots of mods with a still non-released game. But if you compare the raw games, A3 its way better, smooth movement, realistic visuals, huge Altis, the new drone and artillery engine, editor improved with sweet modules ( that have even hints to how to use them ), etc.

It hasn't been released yet, but its full of potential.

Difference is, this dev branch update is supposed to basically be an early content release, so technically, yes, it's released. Even if not technically, it releases next week.

Is ARMA 3 a little light on content in comparison with ARMA 2 on release? Yes. But I'd argue the engine has undergone far more changes than ARMA 2 had over ARMA 1 and the engine needed the work it has had done to it.

For me, I'd love to see official support for the content of ARMA 2 and it's expansions in ARMA 3 as a matter of priority. It's been hinted at by several Dev's and Mod's on these forums, a firm date for their support would resolve content issues for a majority of the fan base and allow BIS to develop new content at their leisure. I love playing around in All in ARMA but official support would guarantee stability and stop patches breaking content thus freeing up mission and mod makers to use the content without fear of having their work go unused.

Come on BIS, you know you want to!

I love playing around in All in ARMA but official support would guarantee stability and stop patches breaking content thus freeing up mission and mod makers to use the content without fear of having their work go unused.

Come on BIS, you know you want to!

+1 I couldn't be more agree.

Just saw this after posting the same in dev build thread:

BIS for your company's sake, for the sake of the community at large, use that unexpected, un budgeted money from the DayZ boom and HIRE MORE TALENT!!!!!!!!!!! Please, I wanted this game to get awesome reviews and be popular. I am tired of going into the server menu and seeing nothing but locked, clan only servers with 1 or 2 public servers with 2 or 3 guys in it. I want you to be a successful company so that you can give raises to the folks that work hard over there and so you can invest in new technologies for the ARMA series. I doubt this game gets better than an 8.0 which is what ARMA 2 got on gamespot. Because while there are many improvements that would help sell the game you skimped on something mentioned in a lot of reviews of ARMA 2. The vastness of possibility and toys to play with. A sandbox, no matter how preatty, is boreing without alot of unique toys to play with.

Please, you say this is the issue, resources. Invest in your company so that it can release top notch games from the get go! You have a talented team but its too small. This release is not quality over quantity. While many models and textures/the maps are quality, this copy and paste, some great texture some crappy textures, sometimes both on the same models, IS NOT QUALITY! And we certainly didn't get quantity.

I can appreciate the whole fix one thing break a million more things spiel about coding, coding is one thing but this pick and choose whats gets quality and not is annoying. I give BIS the benefit of the doubt that its not lazyness its that they dont have enough manpower. I echo what others have said about releasing ARMA 3 content at ARMA 3 s (good quality texture/model) level. I think you owe it to your loyal customers. This is not a mod that we get for free. This is a buisness transaction and while I wouldent say I feel jipped I am let down. When I see what your company is capable of and then see them fail because of bad management and business practices Its sad.

CombatComm, I take it you didn't see the posts for hiring that have came last year or so?

What are you talking about, copy paste? There are barely 2 vehicles pasted from Arma 2, the Buzzard and the KAMAZ, maybe the ATV I don't know or the raft. Looked at the 5 different vehicles that were just Bradley's but with different armor or armament from OA! The dozen humvee variants. This is not new to see a bunch of vehicles come from the same base. It happens all the time IRL.

Also, are we on the same multiplayer? I'm on dev and there's no shortage of servers for me. Try filtering?

And what about all the new features, like Instagoat said on bottom of first page? Attachments, diving, decent drones, somewhat better accessibility, better gear system, etc. No game is perfect. And if you find it lacking content, mods away. AllinArma if you want this Arma 2 content you keep talking about, mods like German Liberator Taskforce or Swedish Forces Pack, if you want better gameplay try TMR or small things like fa_gps... It goes on and on. Besides, BIS are still going to keep making content for Arma 3 post-release, probably as the campaign episodes come. I for one am enjoying Arma 3 a fair bit more than Arma 2. Anyone else, besides the ones who already said so?

CombatComm, I take it you didn't see the posts for hiring that have came last year or so?

What are you talking about, copy paste? There are barely 2 vehicles pasted from Arma 2, the Buzzard and the KAMAZ, maybe the ATV I don't know or the raft. Looked at the 5 different vehicles that were just Bradley's but with different armor or armament from OA! The dozen humvee variants. This is not new to see a bunch of vehicles come from the same base. It happens all the time IRL.

Also, are we on the same multiplayer? I'm on dev and there's no shortage of servers for me. Try filtering?

And what about all the new features, like Instagoat said on bottom of first page? Attachments, diving, decent drones, somewhat better accessibility, better gear system, etc. No game is perfect. And if you find it lacking content, mods away. AllinArma if you want this Arma 2 content you keep talking about, mods like German Liberator Taskforce or Swedish Forces Pack, if you want better gameplay try TMR or small things like fa_gps... It goes on and on. Besides, BIS are still going to keep making content for Arma 3 post-release, probably as the campaign episodes come. I for one am enjoying Arma 3 a fair bit more than Arma 2. Anyone else, besides the ones who already said so?

I didn't see the post about hiring and even as people have told me, they hired new people, is it not ovbious they didnt hire enough for what they are aiming for?

You should know as well as I do that multiplayer is not mod friendly. Except for a few exclusive mods that seem to be rampant (ACE) on servers, most servers dint allow ANY mods so you are stuck playing vanilla ARMA 3/2 on servers. So this whole mod fix for everything is not always the solution. This is why vanilla ARMA 3 should be great quality wise out the box. AiA is in no server AT ALL but if BI releases higher quality textured versions of ARMA 2 assets in an official AiA package it then becomes vanilla ARMA 3 and therefore allowable by default online.

Please dont get me wrong, this game is GORGEOUS in the grand scheme of things and when you compare ARMA 2 out the box with ARMA 2 OA the difference in graphics are almost night and day so I am sure it will get better. What I mean is the fact that OPFOR and NATO have the same chassis and practically the same everything. I am sorry but not even in 2035 is East going to meet West when it comes to military armament design. I don't care what crazy back story BIS comes up with to try and cover that up. This is the copy and paste I am talking about.

The interior textures for instrument panels in some aircraft look downright 16 bit and then in others 2013. It's this inconsistency of quality mixed with low quantity mixed with false advertising that has a lot of people panties in a bunch about ARMA 3. Yes, when a BI developer says ToH WILL be in the game and they show footage of awesome light glare, F-35s etc in videos and then it isn't in the game, that is false advertising. I and many others bought this game with those false pretenses in mind.

Great game but fell way short and it sucks to see the potential never met because a company isn't staffing themselves correctly for what they want to achieve. Anyone that disagrees with that is blind. BI is trying to do amazing things but arent there personnel wise. They've said it themselves. Makes me wonder where all that money made from DayZ which they NEVER expected or intended in their budget to make went.

Besides, BIS are still going to keep making content for Arma 3 post-release, probably as the campaign episodes come. I for one am enjoying Arma 3 a fair bit more than Arma 2. Anyone else, besides the ones who already said so?

For one side its not only the Buzzard and the Kamaz, also the raft, the Gorgon, the Mohawk, littlebird... though to me it's perfect, I love them. In fact I would even add a few more from AO ( the huey and/or Wildcat for the AAF, Osprey and F35 for NATO, some vehicles for civs, maybe a land "over" for the AAF, some russian stuff to CSAT, etc. ). Besides that I would also have some versions of the vehicles in game ( a medevac ghosthawk, marshall ambulance, marshall hq, etc. ).

Said that, I also enjoy A3 more than A2, and I see way more potential.

... where to start?

guess we're bad bad for allowing AiA and supporting it ...

is it fair to count all A2 vehicle variants against A3 non variants (or as some who count CO vs A3 (technically 2 games and 3 DLCs))

nonsense about models c&p (w/o even opening them to compare shapes)

anyway ...

there is some valid critic (wish it was more of that and less ranting) and things and changes are coming but as there is certain 'no promises' policy

i can't promise ;) but i can grin and throw on you goodies {hint who remember me saying stuff coming}... :p

there is lot to fix, improve and deliver ...

for a bunch of ARMA players we have a lot of Divas here....grab a snickers. Arma 3 is awesome in my opinion.

Peace

... where to start?

guess we're bad bad for allowing AiA and supporting it ...

is it fair to count all A2 vehicle variants against A3 non variants (or as some who count CO vs A3 (technically 2 games and 3 DLCs))

nonsense about models c&p (w/o even opening them to compare shapes)

anyway ...

there is some valid critic (wish it was more of that and less ranting) and things and changes are coming but as there is certain 'no promises' policy

i can't promise ;) but i can grin and throw on you goodies {hint who remember me saying stuff coming}... :p

So we could see some more content from now until launch next week?

Also, maybe you could answer this in the devblog thread or the dev branch thread, but why did you give the original Russian camo you made to the independent AAF? And why is there a UI pic "icon_f_ir_combatuniform_rucam_ca.paa" that is the Iranian uniform (clearly the 2035 Russian gorka by the way) with the AAF camo and Russian? I mean, I get why it's Russian, as Raven Security has that camo and originally was Russian. But why was that pic included with this update (pretty sure I haven't seen it in the beta before). Are the Russians still planned to be included in this (of course there're still all the Russian textures in the game) and/or is Raven still intended to be Russian (even though the Russian flag colors were removed from the logo)? And if so, then how is it that they will share camo with the AAF? I know this is probably more appropriate for the devblogs/reveals thread, but it kinda ties into content.

This?

as someone mentioned in this thread and many others ...

one of biggest timesink setbacks was rewrite of PhysX v2 into v3 and reconfigure everything accordingly (vehicles, ragdoll etc)

the one country incident wasn't good for 'speedy' development either

so quite lot of 2012 was spent on ''no new features'' tasks ...

these who keep mentioning the 3D editor,

this unfortunately comes from over enthuiastic 1-2 commentaries but it nevers was promised as 'set in stone' (at max. more of fixed up old one 3D scripted editor)

advanced complex flight model and full working JAVA people considered as autogranted just because it was in Take On Helicopters ...

and these features weren't flat out denied when asked about more of maybe or more likely... (that was the main mistake)

weapon resting, mantling, collisions (this is definitely very good feature missing and let say design preparation mistake was done there)

* might happen soon or post release , but i don't want promise it until i know we can deliver :)

weapon bidpods, tripods and similar adjustable parts (was put aside due to other priority work)

* might happen post release , but i don't want promise it until i know we can deliver :)

shooting from vehicles (ye i would like this myself and again it was 'put to side to work on other stuff' instead of giving it priority)

* might happen post release , but i don't want promise it until i know we can deliver :)

moving in vehicles (i always commented as nice to have but highly unlikely to happen)

MP GUI redesign and MP improvements (lot of things are WIP)

* might happen prior or at release or soon after, but i don't want promise it until i know we can deliver :)

... yet, You may know (majority of these who read what i post on BIForums or communities / forums / skype / irc ...)

that i'm big supporter of any logical, doable, important improvements for MP, gameplay and ease to use, flexibility, usability and LESS frustration with the game as whole

many will say we can't deliver or failed to deliver all what was mentioned or promised ...

as Joris clearly stated, features we can't make in good / great quality shall be put aside and done when we can deliver

theoretical example : it's better to have fully working resting and bidpods 2 months after release, than buggy barely working on half weapons today

for these who think about some missing units, remember alpha/beta don't have all content of full game ...

in the end it saddens me when someone says you weren't informed ... what i can and i could i informed about ...

Anyway.... was taking some screenshots and my gosh, this game is so full of details, so beatiful! Quality over quantity all the way. But we could use more quantity....

Edited by Smurf

tl;dr version at the end of the post.

I must say I agree to some extent with the OP I am also disapointed, not so much with the copy paste thing,

what content that is there is very beautifully done, the models and textures are very beautiful

(some of the wreck models are not that great though) the tank hull models being the same is realistic so I don't see a problem with that at all.

In real life the Namer APC is actually the same hull of the Merkava MBT just with out the turret, so following this logic I can see where BI is coming from.

Also there are many other improvements to the series that in my eyes justify the buy of ArmA 3:

- New inventory system

- New underwater arena

- Improved movement

- better graphics (ok maybe not that important)

- Phsyx

But, I have my issues with the game,

regarding content they are:

- Having only one jet is very disappointing.

- The story characters are lacking IMHO, (yes that is copy paste issue)

I mean both of the civilian story characters have the exact same face only dressed differently

Where is this cool bald guy with the goatee beard they were boasting in one of their demos? The model was already made, why is it gone?

All the other story characters (blufor opfor and green) are all the same as normal units.

Though maybe they are just place holder units in the editor until final release, could be, I don't know.

Which reminds me, whats that I read here that the campaign is not going to be released with the game? only in a few months? did I miss something?

- All the interiors of the armored vehicles are missing, disappointing.

- Disguising as opfor / blufor, like they showed in their early E3 demos is not possible. VERY DISAPPOINTING!!!

- Altis is very nice and all but all of the buildings are totally empty and some of the big ones are not enter-able or just partially.

- Can't look through sights while in the side prone position

- We got very nice underwater arena which I like allot and was very hyped about (still am), but to me it feels like an after thought,

You can't put explosives underwater,

You can't access your inventory underwater,

No flash lights underwater,

You can't shoot from the water surface with any gun other than the underwater rifle (WHY?)

You can't swim all the way to the shore, you stand up automatically just a bit below head height water and you can't go prone either.

No big ships (I wish there was an oil rig but that's just me) and where is that HUGE submarine we saw in one of the stage demos (was it E3 also?)

All that make the whole underwater thing feel like a novelty nothing more, at least for me.

Now, I really wouldn't mind all of the above if the game would be as polished as they claimed it would be.

While it is a HUGE step forward from ArmA 2, it is not what I expected after all their promises to a smooth experience (of course they didn't promise anything specific, just that they will focus on quality).

- Still can't switch weapons on the move (there is a mod for that, how hard can it be BI?)

- Movement is allot better, but still allot of clipping issues, getting stuck on geometry, jerky animations etc... not what I expected.

- Vehicle Phsyx is ALLOT better than ArmA 2 but still something feel strange to me there, I tried real hard to flip over a vehicle and just couldn't do it, no matter what I did.

- Bullets do almost no damage to AI but you get killed almost instantly, I shot a guy from point blank directly in the face with 5.56 ammo, only the second bullet killed him. IN THE FACE, not the helmet, THE FACE!!! WTF is that???

- AI still walk through some walls here and there (AI have allot of other issues, but lets leave it at that)

- Doors are bugged if you have two or more close to each other, you will try to open one, but you will open the one behind you, (go figure)

- Ladders are glitchy and their animation is just bad (they could not fix it for some reason)

- The old bug from the OFP era is still here, you crawl but all of a sudden you stand up because of a rock, a wall or uneven terrain (so they fixed it that you will go to crouch instead of a full stand, not really fixed than IMO)

- ACTION MENU IS A STUPID DESIGN DECISION that from some reason they are ignoring for the past 12 years. so many good suggestions from the community but they won't do anything about it.

- In direct correlation to the action menu fiasco, the hot zones for the context sensitive actions (click middle mouse button when said icon appear) is still buggy and you will have to find the exact place to activate it. (probably connected to the doors issue also)

- MP is still very not optimized, SP runs great now (well, we shall see how the campaign is holding up), but MP have a major FPS drop and is just totally unplayable sometimes.

- The new fatigue system is just bad, even if my inventory is half empty, I get tired and breath heavily only from walking with the weapon raised or joging for a 10 seconds, really what is that?

I am sure I can find many more bugs and glitches but I think you get my point.

So yes it's way better than ArmA 2 (way way better) but still, I am disappointed,

And personally I also don't like the near future vehicles and weapons but I am waiting for ACE so it's not such a big deal for me, and the campaign could be cool.

- tl;dr -

I really love the game (play it since the original OFP was out) but yes, I am disappointed, VERY.

-EDIT-

I know I sound a bit harsh, so I just want to say that despite waht I wrote, i still love this game and BI for giving us this great and very complex game.

I just hope that you will make enough money so that the next ArmA would be a brand new engine and not a patched engine, because lets be honest, it's long over due guys.

Good luck!

Edited by bez