Sign in to follow this  
maddogx

Altis - Info & Discussion

Underground structures never were promoted as a feature for A3, was a rumor started by the community after seeing a single picture.

And kind of overreaction isn't it? A minority of buildings will not be fully enterable. Hold on till monday before making any more judgements.

Are you at the gamescom? Papanowel is/was.

Are you at the gamescom? Papanowel is/was.

I was there yesterday ;)

I was there yesterday ;)

That's why I'm sure you can have a better insight of what's enterable and not than Smurf at this moment.

What happened to being optimistic peeps? That's what I meant by doomsayers lol. Let us all hold off on judgement till Monday shall we?

Optimisim? Kinda flew out the window a few months back, every time a bit of bad news was announced it became doomsday, just need time as usual.

Mostly because they remirror their experiences from over the years. Name one building which had intense indoor-fights in the ArmA series. All were either not completely accessable, too tight for the clumpy movements or not accesable at all. And from Papanowels post it sounded like nothing changed, again.

People generally avoided interiors from arma (well even OFP) for three reasons.. Firstly is the movement, getting stuck by your own body was very easy but having played A3 indoors a fair bit I can safely say it feels entirerly different.

The second problem was HDR, introduced from Arma 1 and carried into Arma 2 and it's expansion. The shaders freaked out when you lost sight of the sun, suplimenting its own brightness and often making the scene far too bright, not good times. The third problem rose in Arma 2 with the new post processing effects, the difference in A3 is night and day, there is simply no comparison..

This video demonstrate the visual side of things, the changing light is rather distracting as it he post processing from a window, in comparison to what we have in A3 which is steady lighting and not so BLOOM IN YO FACE.

OA was very close quarters oriented and I feel bad that the infantry movement at the time kind of detracted from it, I think it will work MUCH better in the all in arma mod pack considering A3 fixes all 3 of these problems.

Edited by NodUnit

Can't wait for Altis to arrive. I hope it can keep me occupied until Rome 2 releases :D

You won´t get stuck anymore, just hit V and the dude will walk through mountains :D

Which brings me to another point, somtimes i´m aiming well above the rock ahead of me yet the shots still impact an invisible mountain rather then actually hitting the guy i´m aiming at.

Bit annoying as he can see me but i can shoot him unless i move.

You won´t get stuck anymore, just hit V and the dude will walk through mountains :D

Which brings me to another point, somtimes i´m aiming well above the rock ahead of me yet the shots still impact an invisible mountain rather then actually hitting the guy i´m aiming at.

Bit annoying as he can see me but i can shoot him unless i move.

Please remember that you need to take into consideration the fact that your sight is above your barrel on the rifle.

Please remember that you need to take into consideration the fact that your sight is above your barrel on the rifle.

that is true although it´s not just a smidgen over the rocks, we are talking maybe 20-30cm above the rocks.

Far bigger then the distance between the pipe and the red dot sight.

You can actually see the bullets hitting "nothing"

Underground structures never were promoted as a feature for A3, was a rumor started by the community after seeing a single picture.

And kind of overreaction isn't it? A minority of buildings will not be fully enterable. Hold on till monday before making any more judgements.

The Arma2 Namalsk map has an awesome underground bunker maze-of-tunnels system. Tunnels are easier than buildings because they are linear, rather than expansive 2D. High rises must also be a rendering/processing nigthmare because they are full-on 3D. Tracking the permeability of layers upon layers of walls, ceilings, floors and doors must be a big computational problem for the engine.

that is true although it´s not just a smidgen over the rocks, we are talking maybe 20-30cm above the rocks.

Make sure 'Ground Detail' is HIGH or above.

@smurf on the old site for a3 features it was a confirmed feature like the 3d editor was, but it probably has been taken down now -I know I saw it on the bis a3 site not from the forums if you read the under ground posts you will see that they were meant to be released with the game before the big change happened

It was in the sticky too at one time couldn't see it when I just checked but it probably has been updated to take out all the axed features that were originally planned.

Quote Originally Posted by shephart

BI confirmed that arma 3 will have underground structures.

just take a look at the sticky topic about confirmed features

Not an over reaction really to expect to use every building is it maybe its just me but I have been modding the a1 buildings to use properly check some out here http://smokedog3para.blogspot.co.uk/ I have been slowly rebuilding these for a while so far have about 15 buildings that are now use full including roofs and adding ladders to access roofs

Of coarse ill wait for the release I have been waiting 3 years already and 2 late deadlines later here we are.

Back on topic though maybe Rock ill be able to build you your Gibraltar island now we have the right type of buildings now to suit it

Edited by SmokeDog3PARA

In that case it maybe an issue with the "hitbox" around the rock itself, can you produce a repro of what is happening?

In that case it maybe an issue with the "hitbox" around the rock itself, can you produce a repro of what is happening?

I´ll give it a go in an hour or so (just woke up), found the mission in steam now so i know where the rock is too.

---------- Post added at 11:44 ---------- Previous post was at 10:52 ----------

Ok went back to the rock and it seems some points on it is very good, you can shoot just above the rock and they will still hit the car but in some places the shots just hits air.

Here´s a snapshot of it, if you download the mission "mission patrol" you will find this rock quite easy, i´m sure it´s no different then any other rock.

Notice the particle/debris, it´s not from the car, it´s the same particle you get when you hit the rocks.

http://i.imgur.com/kCGRPxQ.jpg (252 kB)

Give it a go yourself and try areas around the rock, some are very very good, can shoot just an inch above the rock and in some areas a bit iffy, but this isn´t really a problem for me.

It was actually a bit smaller then i first thought, maybe 10-15cm above the rocks or so.

Altis is an incredible map! The versatility of the landscape is very pleasant to see. There are several huge cities, many large ones and smaller villages dotted all around.

The whole feel is extremely authentic, filled with details like these windmills (ingame). I also found the limnos powerplant which is modelled very accurately

Also, the beautiful Panagia Kakaviotisa chapel can be visited :)

Questions!!

1. Compared to Chernagorsk, how big is huge?

2. What impressed you most about Altis?

3. Are there forests like there are in Chernarus?

4. Any other titbits you want to share?

In all videos i 've seen until now i m not happy seeing the lack of tall buildings 4+ floors

Also (again from videos) i m getting the usual ArmA empty-ness. (too few objects in the environment)

Without wanting to be offensive..i still believe the Takistan-ish kind of maps are more suitable for this engine..

but i still hope because i haven't examine the map yet personally :/

In all videos i 've seen until now i m not happy seeing the lack of tall buildings 4+ floors

Also (again from videos) i m getting the usual ArmA empty-ness. (too few objects in the environment)

You're unlikely to find urban apartment buildings on a sub-urban island community. Comparing this aspect to past games is unnecessary.

Since Chernogorsk is a city in Chernarus it´s a bit of an unfair comparison.

Compared to Chernarus it´s about twice the size.

http://i.imgur.com/R4orCie.jpg

Not at all, it's a comparison. Saying that Altis is bigger than Chernarus is irrelevant.

You're unlikely to find urban apartment buildings on a sub-urban island community.

To be honest..i haven't been in 'Altis' myself..but i imagined it's more or less similar to construction principles as other islands.

I will check Images and come back :)

Comparing this aspect to past games is unnecessary.

I said that because Takistan-ish environments are less demanding on object density due to "Desert" as main theme so...

this is beneficial for BI artists and engine capability because in most cases they won't need to manipulate Thousands of objects in a 100m radius.

A Mediterranean theme is really demanding in object density/placement (trust me on this) ;)

Since Chernogorsk is a city in Chernarus it´s a bit of an unfair comparison.

I think dale is talking about the cities on Altis compared to Chernarus's Chernogorsk.

Questions!!

1. Compared to Chernagorsk, how big is huge?

2. What impressed you most about Altis?

3. Are there forests like there are in Chernarus?

4. Any other titbits you want to share?

To answer the questions, huge is pretty big :cool:

The thing with these big cities is that they spread over quite a large area and smaller buildings extend even further, so there are no abrupt borders. Though like in reality, there are no big apartment blocks. Nonetheless, there are quite a few big structures like a hospital with enterable lobby and helicopter pad (including backyard with trashcans etc) and other bigger buildings with multiple story staircases. While Chernogorsk might appear big, it actually isn't filled with that many buildings. The two large cities on Altis have a very dense centre and include way more buildings than e.g. Chernogorsk.

What really impresses me about Altis is that there are so many points of interest, so many small details to explore and especially seeing how authentic it is to the real island.

I haven't checked out the more vegetated parts of the island but during some runarounds with splendid camera, I've spotted several forests.

Unfortunately, Karel and Jiri were only present in the press booth on Thursday so the only Arma related member present at that time was Ivan, who could of course not answer many of the new feature and technology related questions I've had prepared so I couldn't go into detail as much as I did with DayZ.

Though there's also these interesting screenshots of the insides of the mystical dromes.

Edited by PurePassion