Sign in to follow this  
LordJarhead

JSRS2.0 WIP Thread

What do you prefer? Stereo or 5.1 audio systems?  

305 members have voted

1. 1. What do you prefer? Stereo or 5.1 audio systems?

• Stereo (or Headphones)
    • 5.1 Audio System
    • Stereo due to TeamSpeak/ACRE

Devbuild.

One game without your mod and I feel disoriented lol.

Yes, I spent most of my time in the normal Beta version, since DevBuild is, obviously, changing to often things I dont want to do change back again :) Just some weeks and I know for sure whats there and whats not, so I can really focus on things that will stay.

Oh and thank you for your ... second mentioning :P

LJ

Hey thanks for the feedback. Though I know what you mean about what you said with "more bassy over distance" and all that, surely I can say it is quiet not able to reproduce in ArmA with an easy config value. Giving the explosions more of a bass punch will cause this bass punch to appear on any distance and it wont raise the higher the distance is. But, Psycho was delivering the new script (which is working just awesome!) and so we can concentrate on new things. We are trying to make scripted sounds for explosions as well. Like shrapnel noises flying around you when you are too close to an explosion, an explosion inside a room is causing debris sounds and a really loud bang. And of course different sounds over distances. So this way we were able to reproduce what you've said about them being more bassy. That was actually what I had in mind for them anyways :)

LJ

Hope that JSRS 2.0 will get there :) Right now handheld weapons sound amazing, when it will be released with all library and scripts I believe it will sound like war symphony :)

Hey Jarhead, just letting you know that with the today devs update it seems that everything is working fine again, thank god!

BIS is looking into indoor firefights ablility for AI so all of you please keep your fingers crossed :D

Nothing to push hard, just an idea to look into the future - would be nice if there would be an applied filter sound/script to the indoor sounds when listener is outdoor (outside of the building) - same to the outside sounds when your'e inside the building - muffled like shots etc. (like in vehicles eg. Hunter but without so much occlusion).

To the first - It is probably already possible - that indoor BANG sound could be heared in certain distance to the building but outside environmental/firefight sound being occluded inside the building would probably need some scripting.

If the AI will have possibility to engage indoors it would enhance dramatically not only the soundscape but also the immersion.

Edited by fragmachine

BIS is looking into indoor firefights ablility for AI so all of you please keep your fingers crossed :D

Nothing to push hard, just an idea to look into the future - would be nice if there would be an applied filter sound/script to the indoor sounds when listener is outdoor (outside of the building) - same to the outside sounds when your'e inside the building - muffled like shots etc. (like in vehicles eg. Hunter but without so much occlusion).

To the first - It is probably already possible - that indoor BANG sound could be heared in certain distance to the building but outside environmental/firefight sound being occluded inside the building would probably need some scripting.

If the AI will have possibility to engage indoors it would enhance dramatically not only the soundscape but also the immersion.

With our current script this has been done already. Who ever is inside a building is causing a certain sound from the inside of that building hear able up to 130 meters :) Although, the idea of a filter that filter ALL sounds of the game when being inside a building would be superb.

LJ

OMG this is frikken amazing! At first, I didn't notice much as my recon troops all had silencers, but, once I met up with CSAT, it was an orchestra of ordinance! Can't wait to see what you have in store for us. Why the vanilla game's sounds aren't up to this quality is beyond me, but glad you're out there making it so!

We'll getting there^^

So, little Update, not a update, but a status update:

I was working on the vehicles mostly today. Spent many hours on config tweaking but I'm frustrated now. The Tracked APC's sounds like RC vehicles due to the fact that as soon as you go of the pedal the RPM will drop back to Idle. Causing like when driving the vehicle is all fine hearable and you make the slightest turn and the APC is almost muted (Wont make the Idle's much louder, that would be stupid). I dont know what BIS tried to get here. So that's pretty hardcore tweaking this out... dunno.

The wheeled APC's though are working finally after I had some serious issues getting ANY sounds into the game (Or the APC) at all. Turned out that I had to address each APC variant individually! Even if the other two are inheriting the sounds it still wont work. So yeah, took me hours to figure that out. So now I can actually tweak the config to my taste until the sounds fit. Still not sure what to do with the Tracked APC's. It might end up sounding like bull....

LJ

yeah. the whole controlling of vehicles gas needs a rework..

why not let us control it via the mouse wheel.. there are already tickets out there.

Well i got the mostly to work the way I like it, but it takes so much time. Any little changes needs to be tested and starting the game isn't a quickie btw. The BTR-K Kamysh is ok so far and sounds good to me. Some most sound tweaking but mostly to the sound files, not the config (THANKFULLY!) and the IFV-6c Panther is using mostly the same values so it'll be an easy job giving it the fitting sounds as well. The AMV-7 Marshal sounds still weird due to its heavy RPM's drops, but its manageable. The MSE-3 Marid is mostly perfect to me. But juuuuuust some small tweaks.

What about the others: HEMTT, Zamak and Strider have their configs done. The two Trucks are mostly done and fine while the Strider uses some placeholder sounds. But its mostly ok as well. Just the Ifrtit missing, which I, personally, dont like at all, so that thing gotta wait his turn.

Besides that I would say Cars, Armored Vehicles... 50% done. Of the beta stuff! Not the DevBuild and far not the Full release. But what I can say, is, that I only needed to make one vehicle of one kinda class perfect. One perfect Wheeled APC and I can copy and past the config plus sounds over to any other (changing the RPM values and such of course) and can work on sounds only. Thats important, so every next vehicle will be a piece of cake to give good sounds.

Yes, next update, I HOPE by next week, containing the vehicles. I'm thinking of an Update in between, giving the new (back to mono) Explosions and Environment sounds. Then Vehicles, then scripted stuff... then make a full version. Then taking a break and looking into the full release to see whats new and what has been changed. Hmm. Tell you what, if I get to work tomorrow soonish and can get the two vehicles done that need the most work I'll drop the a bigger update with explosions and vehicles tomorrow. Otherwise, just the explosions and environment sounds.

LJ

LJ you beast! ;)

you make everyone's arma 3 experience |-------------------------------------------------------------------------------| much better

If you manage to find some "free" time can you consider to add some "generic" silencer sounds for each 5 calibers ("7.62","6.5","5.56","0.45","9")

until the config problems will resolved??

LJ you're my god ! just a quick tip if you didn't see it , you can test the full content of the game the 4th september with the dev branch ;)

With our current script this has been done already. Who ever is inside a building is causing a certain sound from the inside of that building hear able up to 130 meters :) Although, the idea of a filter that filter ALL sounds of the game when being inside a building would be superb.

LJ

That's great man, JSRS1.5 was a must-have mod for A2 and this mod will clearly be a must-have mod for A3 contest - winner :)

Im eager to see what JSRS2.0 will bring to the table in near future. Keep up the great work! :cool:

Awesome job LJ, can say A3 turns into another game when using this mod, much better feeling of weapons and danger while in a firefight. Can't go back on vanilla sounds anymore.

Keep up the good work!

Guest Ti0n3r

Suddenly hugging the ground feels justified. Looking forward to your work in A3 LordJarhead!

LJ can you also tweak the volume inside vehicles (its a bit too quiet for my tastes) and maybe the fade out when looking on the map - could be less drastically too...

LJ can you also tweak the volume inside vehicles (its a bit too quiet for my tastes) and maybe the fade out when looking on the map - could be less drastically too...

The vehicle noises are getting all set up first and then they'll be tweaked to its perfection, so I keep your post in mind, but also I keep in mind the thousands of request back in A2 when people said they couldn't hear their teammates on ACRE anymore. And NO, I wont start providing several configs ^^

I'll make it fit, realistic but still enjoyable!

Don't know what you mean with the Map though!?

LJ

PS: Wasn't there an update mentioned that should've been released today? Something about Explosions, Environment, Vehicles? Nah I dont think so, I think I said Sunday, I think I said "Sunday will be the day you get it!" I promise :P

Edited by LordJarhead

What he means by 'map' i don't think is something you can do anything about, what he means (i think) is when you go to map view, the audio is localized geographically to the location you were when you opened the map. If you are in a vehicle, you'll literally hear the vehicle drive/fly off from you until you exit the map screen.

Hey LJ,

Good to see you and crew bringing the JSRS goodness into Arma 3 :)

IIRC, you make some use of the lineIntersectsWith command. The positions are in ASL format and are currently broken.

I put a ticket on the BugTracker about it.

I wanted to let you know in case you want to vote it up.

Greets DA

This really did make a difference! Cool mod and keep up the great work

The vehicle noises are getting all set up first and then they'll be tweaked to its perfection, so I keep your post in mind, but also I keep in mind the thousands of request back in A2 when people said they couldn't hear their teammates on ACRE anymore. And NO, I wont start providing several configs ^^

I'll make it fit, realistic but still enjoyable!

Don't know what you mean with the Map though!?

LJ

PS: Wasn't there an update mentioned that should've been released today? Something about Explosions, Environment, Vehicles? Nah I dont think so, I think I said Sunday, I think I said "Sunday will be the day you get it!" I promise :P

Yeah please, keep the in vehicle volume down. I know in reality they're loud as hell but in reality you also have an intercom - not to mention ACRE isn't as loud as people could reasonably shout either.

It makes it virtually impossible to discuss/plan anything in an armoured vehicle with JSRS in arma 2

Yeah please, keep the in vehicle volume down. I know in reality they're loud as hell but in reality you also have an intercom - not to mention ACRE isn't as loud as people could reasonably shout either.

It makes it virtually impossible to discuss/plan anything in an armoured vehicle with JSRS in arma 2

I agree with Kerc, I found the vehicles and choppers to be too loud in A2. In reality, you'd have the intercom and even if you hadn't got it you could always shout, but shouting to your microphone doesn't increase the intensity of your voice unlike in reality, so there's no way to compensate the loudness of vehicles and choppers that you could do in reality. I appreciate it that you're willing to change it in A3 version!

I agree and thanks for considering lowering inside of vehicle noise in 2.0.

During the occassions I had a ride in a chopper or plane, we had headsets that worked quite well (ehm, the noise *is* excessive in a chopper or prop plane at max power even with them but you can still hear each other pretty well). Even in the back of a (modern) APC without headsets, we heard each other. I guess every crewmember in Arma3 would use one.

So thanks for tweaking the inside sounds, and looking forward to more releases!

I agree and thanks for considering lowering inside of vehicle noise in 2.0.

During the occassions I had a ride in a chopper or plane, we had headsets that worked quite well (ehm, the noise *is* excessive in a chopper or prop plane at max power even with them but you can still hear each other pretty well). Even in the back of a (modern) APC without headsets, we heard each other. I guess every crewmember in Arma3 would use one.

So thanks for tweaking the inside sounds, and looking forward to more releases!

Yes Im taking this in account. The whole ACRE stuff is really important to many players these days. I would even say it should've been part of Arma3 anyways but it isnt. So yeah. As mentioned earlier i'll take it in account when i rework the interior sounds by tomorrow!

LJ

Yes Im taking this in account. The whole ACRE stuff is really important to many players these days. I would even say it should've been part of Arma3 anyways but it isnt. So yeah. As mentioned earlier i'll take it in account when i rework the interior sounds by tomorrow!

LJ

Sounds good, I completely agree re ACRE (And I'd add weapon resting and wind affected ballistics to that as well).