copy my stance works exactly how it is supposed to. It makes your soldiers go back to their default stance behaviour. The description is misleading, but it has awlways been intended as a a "go back to default stance" command.

Bouben, the "Copy my stance" order never worked fine in my experience; and the fact is : once you started messing with their stance, there's no option to make your soldiers go back to default behaviour, forcing you to micro-manage them for the rest of the game...

Why include this feature in the first place?

Simply not true. It works perfectly fine. Coulum has it right.

The description is misleading, but it has awlways been intended as a a "go back to default stance" command.

Doh! I didn't know that. ^^'

Yeah thats not unreasonable though. I can't count how many people have made tickets or complaints that "copy my stance doesn't work". BI really should rename it.. and better yet add a copy my stance command that actually... you know, makes the ai copy your stance. But I guess they have more pressing things on their agenda right now.

Yeah thats not unreasonable though. I can't count how many people have made tickets or complaints that "copy my stance doesn't work". BI really should rename it.. and better yet add a copy my stance command that actually... you know, makes the ai copy your stance. But I guess they have more pressing things on their agenda right now.

Agreed.

Thanks for the copy my stance explanation guys. I have always found that useless. No wonder when it's supposed to do something completely different :)

A name change would be wise indeed.

I then start to wonder, was 'copy my stance' baked into the 'find cover' command previously. Because I never used the 'Copy stance' and I remember the AI taking cover correctly?

I usually have had inconsistencies trying to get so to change stance, in campaign the ai followed me stance wise for half a mission, then just stopped crouching with me... Weird stuff happens with ai stance

Thanks for the copy my stance explanation guys. I have always found that useless. No wonder when it's supposed to do something completely different :)

A name change would be wise indeed.

I then start to wonder, was 'copy my stance' baked into the 'find cover' command previously. Because I never used the 'Copy stance' and I remember the AI taking cover correctly?

Well, I only remember that I have criticized in the past that the "take cover" command was not respecting chosen forced stances because it could be particularly annoying when you insist on your units being prone and then order them to take cover and they suddenly stand up and start to peak around a tree or something because their cover positions have hard-coded stances...

So if the forced stances are now respected by the "take cover" command then I would say FINALLY.

I will have to test it to see if it is the case (I hope it is).

UPDATE:

Unfortunately, nothing has changed. They still crouch behind crouchable obstacles even when forced being prone. Shame.

Edited by Bouben

Lately we've been fixing bugs related to AI behavior in the cargo buildings and towers. Some of it was quite... interesting.

If you've ever tried making your teammate enter a cargo building, you know it wasn't the easiest of tasks. AI soldiers seem more than glad to do all kind of stuff except follow you orders.

"Making it to the roof? Can't roger that, thank you, I'd rather crawl around the entrance"

In other cases, these guys would follow yours orders a bit too much. To the death one could say. Literally. We all know the fastest way to make it from the top of a tower to the ground is usually by jumping down. Well, while it may be considered a plausible solution in some cases, it kind of does not feel right.

If you nodded at least once while reading this, we hope you'll understand our decision to remove these, uh, 'features' from our game. You might still come across some similar issues from time to time, however, we're doing our best to make things history. We'd appreciate it if you could let us know about any improvements / problems specifically related to AI planning in these circumstances.

Edited by RoyaltyinExile

Lately we've been fixing bugs related to AI behavior in the cargo buildings and towers. Some of it was quite... interesting.

If you've ever tried making your teammate enter a cargo building, you know it wasn't the easiest of tasks. AI soldiers seem more than glad to do all kind of stuff except follow you orders.

In other cases, these guys would follow yours orders a bit too much. To the death one could say. Literally. We all know the fastest way to make it from the top of a tower to the ground is usually by jumping down. Well, while it may be considered a plausible solution in some cases, it kind of does not feel right.

If you nodded at least once while reading this, we hope you'll understand our decision to remove these, uh, 'features' from our game. You might still come across some similiar issues from time to time, however, we're doing our best to make things history. We'd appreciate it if you coudl let us know about any improvements / problems specifically related to AI planning in these circumstances.

Thank you very much for working on AI and letting us know.

We will let you know too.

If you nodded at least once while reading this, we hope you'll understand our decision to remove these, uh, 'features' from our game. You might still come across some similar issues from time to time, however, we're doing our best to make things history. We'd appreciate it if you could let us know about any improvements / problems specifically related to AI planning in these circumstances.

Very nice to hear all of this. AI has died way too many times when I've ordered it to get down from a tower. They execute the order, that's for sure, but you know how it ends... *SPLAT*

and happy first post btw.

I tested it yesterday and if found this bug(it's at 1:00 and 2:00):

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=20631

Edit: Btw the AI is not really want to move at the exact position inside the building. Like in this building on the top level. You should give a try. I order him behind the stairs and he go to the other side of the room, behind the wall.

Because as i saw the AI has too few reference position that's why we can't order him in the corners and some precise positions. Edited by danczer

The a little "L" at the bottom of the line drawn from the cursor always indicates an AI position outside of the building, by its ext. walls. (the point "by the stairs" is actually outside) Blame the intuitiveness, seems like we should do something about it.

But that hesitation whether to follow the proper path or make a shortcut is interesting, thanks for the repro. Let us investigate whether we rly want to take our support of Poltergeist mod so seriously ;)

Since it is now possible to identify when indoors (proven by countless mods), why not give us the ability to use a new indoor command system which allows us to place the unit anywhere. Wouldn't a simple doMove or moveTo command suffice? Seems simple and would help us place units TREMENDOUSLY

Whenthe hell will we have a decent AI pathfinding, able to stay in line or in column during a convoy and not wandering around???????

Whenthe hell will we have a decent AI pathfinding, able to stay in line or in column during a convoy and not wandering around???????

Your emotional tone isn't helping a bit.

My mental health is fine, it's just I've spend my whole day since 0900 to 2200 trying to have it sorted for my next mission and everything I try fails because of those two things.

My mental health is fine, it's just I've spend my whole day since 0900 to 2200 trying to have it sorted for my next mission and everything I try fails because of those two things.

I understand that but you are on the dev branch.

Bouben's point is about his attitude, not the fact that he's reporting problems. Bringing frustration into a thread entirely about problems with the game is really counter-productive and hinders a positive and constructive environment.

Problem is present on dev branch...

So you consider doing serious mission making in dev branch being normal and rational?

So you consider doing serious mission making in dev branch being normal and rational?

You'd be surprised by how many people think that the dev branch is a stable and tested version.

I'm in stable branch, always work on stable.

But it really needs to be fixed - and tested in dev branch first.

AI pathfinding (but I lost hope about AI fix in the game) and tanks not able to roll over a small wall and being stopped by 30cm of rocks...