Sign in to follow this  
Dwarden

ARMA 2: OA beta build 108074 MP compatible build, post 1.62 release)

...more likely it's related to the changes which now classify the undeclared variables also in spawn etc. ... breaks our own scripts and modules too , they need to be updated

Dwarden, why would you guys make such a change so late in the game? On the Comrades in Arms server we have 453 missions that we still want to play and now a lot of them will be broken? Most of them will never get updated by their authors at this stage!

this change might mean shortening the life of Arma 2 significantly. BIS, please, we urge you to reconsider.

Edited by Variable

yes, all scripts needs to be fixed to adhere the new rules ...

this does apply also to any script being used in Arma 3 via e.g. All in Arma

I am not sure why you introduce these changes so late. It will break a lot of missions, that might never get updated because the author moved on or moved to Arma 3. Why do you introduce new rules in what essentially might be the last patch ever for Arma 2? I don't get that.

hence why the stable beta is 103718 while anything beyond that is experimental (even on the OA STEAM branch)...

this change simply neeeds us to do data fixes ...

Alwarren if you prefer no changes then we can cease to do any updates ...

optimal solution would be additional compatibility commandline parameter like: -ignoreUndeclaredVariables

Edited by Dwarden

hence why the stable beta is 103718 while anything beyond that is experimental (even on the OA STEAM branch)...

103718? It says 103419 in the first post of this thread:

note: also deployed on STEAM! (inside "test" branch, default beta is 103419)

Which is it?

Alwarren if you prefer no changes then we can cease to do any updates ...

That's beside the point, Dwarden. I am not talking about fixing things, I am talking about making changes that break a lot of stuff. The removal of things like the vehicleInit will break hundreds of missions that use UPS/UPSMON. There is little to no hope that all of these missions are going to be fixed.

If these error messages are "cosmetic", then there is no issue, but to the best of my knowledge, the cancel the execution of the script, and that is indeed quite a big issue.

EDIT: okay, I admit I am confused now.

I was sure that the setVehicleInit and processInitCommands where removed from the OA betas, but they don't seem to be and the only thing is the undefined variables throwing an error (but the scripts continue to run) ?

Edited by Alwarren

setVehicleInit / processInitCommands weren't removed from OA betas so why you even mention them (that's Arma 3 only issue)

103718 shall be the last stable beta before the undeclared variable after SPAWN was implemented ...

the only issue is the undeclared variables after SPAWN change, causing RPT spam in default, popup spam if -showscripterrors enabled

only crucial question remains if it's breaking the functionality (next to performance issues by the spam)

setVehicleInit / processInitCommands weren't removed from OA betas so why you even mention them (that's Arma 3 only issue)

My fault, I don't know why I thought they where no longer available.

only crucial question remains if it's breaking the functionality (next to performance issues by the spam)

It seems to be fine. The undefined variable message does not stop the script, so the worst that can happen is RPT spam.

Sorry for causing a commotion, I had really thought that the setVehcileInit was removed from the beta as well as Arma 3. Mea Culpa :)

ok, then what we need is -nologs for Arma 2: OA ... (unless someone has repro proving the post 103718 changes breaking scripts (ours or yours))

Edited by Dwarden

optimal solution would be additional compatibility commandline parameter like: -ignoreUndeclaredVariables

Please don't stop the updates - they are deeply appreciated by the community in general :)

The issue here is partly that of confusion about whether the undeclared variables issue means that scripts and missions will break, or not (& I'm still not clear on that, apologies if I'm being thick).

If it is just a question of report spam then that command-line switch would be ideal :)

Re my earlier comment about MP, never having run a server I didn't know whether the RPT was used to log matters like player IP addresses, hacking attempts etc. - in which case "-noLogs" would be a bad move. I now gather that this is done by Battle Eye and possibly other scripts running on the server, and uses separate logs. Pardon my ignorance.

Thanks for the replies, Dwarden.

ok, then what we need is -nologs for Arma 2: OA ... (unless someone has repo proving the post 103718 changes breaking scripts (ours or yours))

To my knowledge and the mods we've run (Custom + some of the well known ones, CBA, ACE, Jayarma2lib, ACRE, TPWCAS, ASR_AI & serveral others, we've not encountered any scripts breaking, but as mentioned, do notice the RPT 'spam').

Therefore for my personal greed, the '-nologs' (or some other) param is a high priority feature to add before the next official patch release (I know we've already typed about it offline to here) :)

@londlonLad, thanks i feared the worst (broken scripts)

ok, then what we need is -nologs for Arma 2: OA ... (unless someone has repro proving the post 103718 changes breaking scripts (ours or yours))

-nologs would be great!

To my knowledge and the mods we've run (Custom + some of the well known ones, CBA, ACE, Jayarma2lib, ACRE, TPWCAS, ASR_AI & serveral others, we've not encountered any scripts breaking, but as mentioned, do notice the RPT 'spam').

Could you check the game CTI mission with the latest beta, please? I cannot play it. I start MP by LAN, Utes map, 'War welcome' scenario on my first computer. Then I join to this server from my second computer and start the game. The problem is that the player on the host computer cannot spawn after death. The player from joined computer can spawn fine. If I disable beta on both computers then everything works good.

@londlonLad, thanks i feared the worst (broken scripts)

Yes, scripts work for the most part. Just massive .RPT spamming and desync ;)

Thanks for keeping in touch with us over this issue.

@massive .RPT spamming & an added tag (toggle switch) -nologs would be great! ..agreed

+ please no editor mission testing autosaves -noeditsave, I'm tired of seeing annoying popup errors when leaving the editor "soinso.sqf" not found.

Edited by MadM0nkey

Now that A3 has been released, will there be a new push to get 1.63 and an ACR patch out? Hope springs eternal.....

Now that A3 has been released, will there be a new push to get 1.63 and an ACR patch out? Hope springs eternal.....

Any news about this ? I guess if you wont patch A2OA no more you could release the latest patch as 1.63.

If you do, please at give us a command line parameter to remove the spamming of the RPT, e.g. -nologs

Don't get me wrong, I love the fact that the deeper reporting allows us to better scrutinise the errors from mods but the fact is that most mod makers have moved onto A3 and their motivation, sadly, is rarely sufficient.

Is ArmA II now stuck into the eternal beta stage? Woukd be a shame because ArmA II is at least a full game and has exeactly the content I want it to have...(ArmA III is the contrary)

ArmA II is at least a full game and has exeactly the content I want it to have...(ArmA III is the contrary)

True. But I guess it's the priorities why we're left with this beta-state for A2OA atm. Hmm, so it's a little like "unfinished", anyway. For me too Arma 3 is no option, right now.

Edited by langgis08

What's beta about it? If the beta patches are stable, it's as good as an official patch, except for those afflicted by OCD, unable to tolerate the string of numbers.

I think we're all aware that no ArmA game can ever be finished or made entirely bug-free, and that BI will eventually release a final patch, be it years down the road (as it was with OFP).

Well, it would make sense to roll it up into a 1.63 patch if it's stable enough now...there hasn't been a new beta release in months, so it's hard to say how frequently there will even be more patches in the future. Getting it to a stable 1.63 seems like a decent idea, for the time being. It doesn't have to be the final patch ever.

Also, last time I checked there were no real content patches in the betas, so all of that work is as yet unreleased if there has been any done since 1.62.

What's beta about it? If the beta patches are stable, it's as good as an official patch, except for those afflicted by OCD, unable to tolerate the string of numbers.

You do realize that if you are playing campaign, every patch renders the saved games useless. So if you begin a campaign, lets say, today, and then tomorrow they release a new patch, you have to start all over again. Just release a stable 1.63 as it is now. Although i really think that BI as left the building months ago !!!