Maxzy

You can't join LAN(!!!) dedicated server without internet connection??? WTF???

When beta came out, and Tophe crafted his amazing tool suitable for Arma 3 I decided to try and make my own dedi server. Launched it on the same computer I'm playing and couldn't connect - loading screen for 5 minutes and then "you've been kicked" or something. Ok, I thought, something is wrong but i'll wait for next patch, maybe then all is gonna be ok. Well, i've updated the game today and tried again - result was the same :). I went to forums of course and found this thread. Tried to connect to LAN(!!!!!) server with online steam and all went just fine. So I gotta ask - is this made on purpose and its gonna be like this all the time from now on? I mean what the hell? I need internet to play on LAN??

Terox, maybe I should have mentioned it, but and I'm running different OFP and Arma servers since 2005, so, basically, I know how to do it right :).

point 4. http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?148288-Dedicated-server-status , avilable only in DEV branch for now ...

I don't know why I didn't mention it, but I tried to run dedi server on another computer and connect to it from my gaming computer. result was the same - 5 minutes of nothing and then disconnect. So the problem is not in running multiple instances on one computer - its in the fact that I need Steam to be in ONLINE mode to be able to connect to LAN dedicated server (or any dedicated server I guess :)). When Steam is connected everything works just fine. And when server is not dedicated all works fine no matter if Steam online or offline.

i posted only what covers the OP part about server and client on same computer ...

Made a ticket. Hope it gets some attention.

No change on subject in recent stable patch. Could anyone at least tell - is it a bug or a feature?

I can tell that i can join a dedicated on lan just fine.. not sure what you do wrong. but i can say its working fine.

I can tell that i can join a dedicated on lan just fine.. not sure what you do wrong. but i can say its working fine.

Are you sure that you can join dedi server while your Steam is in OFFLINE mode?

You can't play multiplayer while Steam is in offline mode. But you can run a dedicated server that doesn't require Steam and then join it with a normal game client using Steam in online mode.

For clients, multiplayer is disabled when Steam is in offline mode. Maybe BIS should re-consider and let us play LAN (or at least connect to 127.0.0.1) with Steam in offline mode?

You can't play multiplayer while Steam is in offline mode.

Correction: you CAN play multiplayer while Steam is in offline mode if you connecting to someone who created a multiplayer session (or how is it called - I don't know). You can't do it when you try to connect only to dedicated server. And that's why I'm asking if it is a bug. It have no sense to let you play one type of multiplayer (session, created on someone's machine) and restrict you from another (dedicated server).

Apologies for this shameless bump :p, but it's a bit more than two weeks before release and I would really like to know the answer to this simple but nonetheless very important to me question if this issue is a bug or a feature.

Can't download full version yet, so could anyone please check if there is a positive change on the subject, i.e. is it possible to play on LAN dedi server with steam in offline mode?

This problem still exists in the 1.0 release, please fix this as I and a few friends play in a LAN environment and trying to play warfare or any large mission does not work when one person is hosting the server

Why this issue is being totally ignored is beyond my understanding - is it some kind of horrible secret? Why is it so hard to say something "Well, it is how it is, native steam restriction, can't do anything about it" or "yeah it's a bug, you'll have to wait before it is fixed", FFS.