mankyle

Big PHYSx compatible ship. LCS 2 technological demonstrator

Gnat;2439547']Tried reproducing JDogs experiement

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?157367-The-answer-you-were-waiting-for-carriers-are-possible-in-arma-3&p=2426734&viewfull=1#post2426734

by attaching them to the LCS' date=' unfortunately it doesn't seem to work the same. Man class simply falls off the training bridge.[/quote']

Got a ticket for it?

I have added a couple of things to the LCS. During the weekend I will upload a new version

- Some WIP (very) basic textures.

- Tweaked main cannon values. Now it uses its own weapon class, it shows the correct name and uses specifically designed ammunition against air targets.

- Tweaked Searam Launcher. Now it uses its own weapon class, and uses new values based on THIS document.

- If I have enough time I will add an artillery system that uses auto guided missiles.

Dan;2439566']Got a ticket for it?

Already there for a long time Dan ..... same old story since forever, only VBS offers walking on moving vehicles.

I have added a couple of things to the LCS. During the weekend I will upload a new version

- Some WIP (very) basic textures.

- Tweaked main cannon values. Now it uses its own weapon class, it shows the correct name and uses specifically designed ammunition against air targets.

- Tweaked Searam Launcher. Now it uses its own weapon class, and uses new values based on THIS document.

- If I have enough time I will add an artillery system that uses auto guided missiles.

Sounds very good; looking forward to it! :)

Gnat;2439865']Already there for a long time Dan ..... same old story since forever' date=' only VBS offers walking on moving vehicles.[/quote']Unfortunately Dwarden recently characterized the walking part as "highly unlikely to happen":
shooting from vehicles (ye i would like this myself and again it was 'put to side to work on other stuff' instead of giving it priority)

* might happen post release , but i don't want promise it until i know we can deliver :)

moving in vehicles (i always commented as nice to have but highly unlikely to happen)

* might happen post release , but i don't want promise it until i know we can deliver :)

On the other hand:
many will say we can't deliver or failed to deliver all what was mentioned or promised ...

as Joris clearly stated, features we can't make in good / great quality shall be put aside and done when we can deliver

theoretical example : it's better to have fully working resting and bidpods 2 months after release, than buggy barely working on half weapons today

I wouldn't write it off, the Physx mode should make it much simpler for them to add it to the RV engine.

But post release? I'm OK with that.

..... just look at the differences between A2 initial and A2OA final .........

Some new version of the LCS.

- Model improved

- Added some placeholder textures

- Tweaked turret values

- Searam missiles only target Air targets

- Added a bridge

Just tested it out. Very good indeed. Although, infantry keep falling through the flight deck and into the ocean. :(

Also, have you tried checking out TurboSquid? They have quite a few high-poly LCS-2 models, complete with high-resolution textures! :)

Now, all we need is an NWU unit! ;)

Edited by Laqueesha

Just tested it out. Very good indeed. Although, infantry keep falling through the flight deck and into the ocean. :(

Also, have you tried checking out TurboSquid? They have quite a few high-poly LCS-2 models, complete with high-resolution textures! :)

Now, all we need is an NWU unit! ;)

With the engine limitation we currently have I really don't know if it is worth to continue working on this, but I have (surprisingly) learnt to model in Oxygen 2 and I just want to know if I can release a medium quality addon. I'm not going to spend money in a model done by other to import it in a game engine.

Maybe they will improve PHYSx so man class can walk on big ships while those are moving, they will increase the RLOD and GEO LOD limit for man class and basically they will allow creating really big ships. For the moment I will continue working on this adding things here and there.

For the moment I have a code that lets the LCS fire missiles via the artillery computer. They are autoguided submunitions. Next thing I will try to make them get fired from the bow SSM VLS. The main problem is that submunition class simulation is considerwd as a shell when the engine considers the spawning point (gun_beg_gun_end).

BTW, submunition class ammo is bugged. The ammo count doesn't go down when you fire a weapon loaded with a submunition class. Speaking plainly you have unlimited ammo.

And.... NWU unit? What does NWU stand for?

Edited by mankyle

Do we need men to walk on moving ships? Is there some way to move players from the passenger compartment of a ship (like the LAV compartment) into a chopper that's 'attached' to the flight deck? In my vision I see ships working just like land vehicles, with a driver, gunner, etc, and having the capacity for holding a bunch of passengers. I have no problem with a chopper getting close to the flight deck and attaching. From that point the passengers need a way to transition to the chopper without being on the deck (since you'd fall into the water). For what I'm thinking, we don't need men to walk on the deck of a moving ship in the first place. Would it be nice for a fully functional aircraft carrier, with planes, men, and objects able to move along a moving ship? Yes, but a working carrier as a static object is still a cool thing too.

• Like 1

some colision issues with man class (mainly the RLOD size limit) have been partially solved with this week's updates. Man class interacts much better with big objects than before. Unfortunately, men still don't move with the ship when it is moving.

Thanks BIS!!!! You are on the right way!!!

some colision issues with man class (mainly the RLOD size limit) have been partially solved with this week's updates. Man class interacts much better with big objects than before. Unfortunately, men still don't move with the ship when it is moving.

Is this on account of engine changes in recent dev builds? Sounds like something that should go in the "carriers are possible" thread...

Very good to hear.

Say mankyle, is there any way to further up friction, since it sounds like both helos and men have the same issue?

Say mankyle, is there any way to further up friction, since it sounds like both helos and men have the same issue?

there is some connection here

class DriveOn: PhysXMaterialBase

{

restitution = "0.0f";

staticFriction = "0.5f";

dynamicFriction = "0.5f";

};

and

driveOnComponent[] = {"Skids"};

i didnt try yet to see if material can be inherit and changed to stop general impact ( pc over heat at moment du to weather if A3 started lol)

class DriveOn: PhysXMaterialBase
{
restitution = "0.0f";
staticFriction = "0.5f";
dynamicFriction = "0.5f";
};

With these parameters alone it is not enough to maintain a chopper over a ship.

Restitution represents "bounciness" for explaining it easily. So it is the elasticity of the material. Higher values mean that you will rebound on this material when landing on it. Negative values don't "atract" or "glue" a chopper on the surface.

staticfriction and dinamicfriction changes don`t have appreciable effects on helicopter behaviour on a landing pad

Edited by mankyle

thanks for explanation restituion

in terms of others ,

staticfriction and dinamicfriction changes don`t have appreciable effects on helicopter behaviour on a landing pad

I believe the material friction of physx component in this example Skids of helicopter and the friction when Driveon (for example car driveon component is wheels) is amount of slippiness when landing at speed , for static means when it has stopped .

i intend to nvestiaget when cooler conditions but i guess frst question is are these core parmater or can be inherit and adjust

they can be modified.

I have modified them in this addon. Try opening the addon and setting a higher value in restitution. If you try to land on the ship the helicopter will bounce on the landing pad

they can be modified.

I have modified them in this addon. Try opening the addon and setting a higher value in restitution. If you try to land on the ship the helicopter will bounce on the landing pad

Did you make a ticket or talk to BIS about the man simulation class walking on large drive able boats?

I'm using Developers branch and with the latest build the helicopter-PHYSx ship interaction is much much better. Even the Mohawk doesn't fall of the landing pad anymore.

Could anyone please check this?