sproyd

sproyd's Simple Arma 3 Editor Guide

I was messing with the editor for the last hours, i will look at this, nice timing founding this :)

Cheers again for this mate - really good. Oh - and best of luck with all that you've got going on!

Well its the long weekend here in the UK and a rainy one in London so my plan of attack is that I plan to attack this guide. Expect an update some time soon, hopefully I can get it to v1.0 before Retail release. I know its currently seriously lacking in some crucial areas so will try and devote some Steam-time to that.

I thought I'd spend the whole weekend playing Splinter Cell Blacklist but it turns out that its not very compelling so I'm back to Arma, albeit I have to first build some kind of IKEA furniture called Kvidinge (how do you pronounce that, I mean seriously...).

Oh and some of you might have seen my mission Don't Kill Josef made it to the top 3 on the Steam Workshop which was cool and I managed to get loads of feedback. I think its since dropped back off as the rankings are cyclical but was fun to see. Check it out if you haven't already of what kind of mission you can make with fairly basic mission making skills.

Okay, welcome to v0.7 featuring new additions including markers, briefings, random spawn points and other goodies. Check OP for download.

Since you ask, sproyd :) I would really like to learn how to set up a simple patrol of OPFOR AI. You know, plop down a group of opfor and have them patrol a town or a base in some sensible way. I understand that it can be done without mods, I just don't know how.

This is covered in the latest version v0.7. The guide is starting to take shape and I'm happy with the direction.

---------- Post added at 10:07 ---------- Previous post was at 10:06 ----------

however the things that make me confused are the init line scripts. i really want helicopters to force lights on but ____ knows how lol

I think things like force lights on is dictated by combat modes.

---------- Post added at 10:10 ---------- Previous post was at 10:07 ----------

Thank for all your work! Is it possible to add some basic pickup and drop with cars or heli`s?

Yes I'll look into this although you need to be a bit more clear. When you say pickup and drop do you mean AI coming to pick you up and drop you off? I'm assuming that the Combined Arms showcase Heli drop-off and pick-up (at the end) is what you are after? To be honest I've never scripted something like this but I will look into it for you as I'd like to know. It might be going slightly beyond the 'simple' moniker of my Guide though.

hey sroyd good guide, well explained and very nice to read. Are their any plans for a more advancing version in addition to this one in the future?

best of regards

Hey Sproud

Thank you for a great guide, i will use it as a help book when i make missions. :)

This is awesome. With not having a lot of extra time to learn mission making, rather spend it playing, and the scenario editor not in the alpha or beta (not sure if it will be in final game), this is a great guide for us beginners. The mission editor can do so much it gets complicated very fast and this guide clarifies alot of things.

Thanks

Very nice. Can't say I'm _not_ getting confused by the use of 'modules' and various usage of synchronization and grouping. But you make a good effort of explaining - many thanks for that!

What would I like to see...? Well personally I'd like to see if the modules/grouping/synchronization stuff can be replaced by plain code (scripts, functions). Another thing is creating ambient life that reacts in various ways to the player's (and other AIs') actions (sheep scattering when firing, civilians grouping up and then running away, and so on*). I'd also like to know what can and cannot be done when in preview mode in the 'local exec' box. Hey it's christmas soon, isn't it? :)

* one reason being my 5yo son has graduated from Xbox Lego to running around as a civilian in Arma, so I'd like to create any number of non-violent and fun scenarios for him to explore.

Over the years I have been a great Arma fan, Starting with Playing Arma, then onto Arma 2 and Operation Arrowhead.

When Arma 3 came out, I went and got the game the First day it was released, And I Love it.

I have Never Opened the Editor On Arma Or Arma 2/Arma 2 OA, But thought id move with the times and try my hand at

Making a mission in Arma 3.

So i started the game up Opened the Editor, and OMG, I was out of my depth !

Now some stuff is easy to get the hang of like placing players and groups down, and giving them waypoints.

But when it came to Modules and Triggers, i got lost !.

I Read, Or should i say TRIED to read some other Editor guides out there,

But i felt like those were written for people who already had a knowledge of the editor.

When I came across Sproyd's Simple Arma 3 Editor Guide, I found that it was actually written

In a Simple and easy to understand way for people like ME who need things explained in plain English.

Now with Thanks to SPROYD, I am About to Finish my FIRST EVER Arma Mission,

And soon will be able to post it on Armaholic and Steam available to download and play.

Sproyd's Simple Arma 3 Editor Guide Is a MUST HAVE for ANY Arma mission Maker And I Cant Wait For His Next Guide !.

I'll second that sentiment, going to give this a good read and have a play with the editor.

Many thanks

Hi sproyd ! I'm French and your tutorial is very easy to understand, thanks a lot for this work, and please !!, continue to write this guide. It is very plain, and it really helped me to edit new missions !!

Thank for all your work!

I wonder whether you allow me to translate it into chinese and share it with others? :) 

by the way,a new 3d editor has been release and a new guide is inneed :D