Why do guns seem like they sound less realistic than arma 2? They don't sound as sharp? Is it higher quality audio recordings than arma 2?

Edit, I think I found the reason: no acoustic simulation?

Edited by ProGamer

Dear god now that I've played 1 minute of the campaign the 5.1/7.1 mid speaker bug is annoying me. Can't hear a dam of those conversations. Immersion bug #1 that needs to be fixed really.

Why is this still not fixed? Not even a reply from a developer?

We can't play the whole game constantly turning our heads slightly to the right for every dialogue.

There is definitely improvement needed in the Audio department.

What bugs me the most though, is that there are posts and numerous tickets on the Tracker, but i have yet to see a dev respond to the issues that are raised. A reaction to engine possibilities and/or improvements. 3D sound problems. Indoor- and outdoor effects. Etc...

Nothing.

Inside, the sounds of the engine usually are not that loud, which is good normally, but boring. Engines should definitely become louder, but not too much from the inside. On the outside its a different matter.

However: Vehicles need gearbox sounds!

It can be one of the most notable sounds in larger vehicles, if you are sitting inside. Here are some extreme cases:

(shifting at ~0:35, whailing combination of gearbox+tires)

And

inside a "Strider" aka Fennek.
. Notice how audible the gearbox is even at those low speeds!

It also makes listening to a vehicle more enjoyable if you have not just the (silent) engine noise and monotone boring tire grinding sound.

And we also need appropriate Tire sounds for normal roads (kind of whailing

) , and a mix of the whailing sound + dirt sound on those compressed dirt roads. Edited by Fennek

ATM, sound is the weakest part of A3 and will remain so in 1-2 years, until we see an expansion / DLC or even A4.

Yeah, to be quite honest, the 'sound' section of the RV4 engine features on the official site rather overstates the quality of the soundscape in Arma 3.

One of the most critical parts of creating a believable world is sound, and Arma 3 is no exception. Representing a significant step forward in the simulation of sound, with a single rifle shot consisting of various different sounds, the proper simulation of the speed of sound, different sounds when inside and outside of vehicles, and more, Arma 3 puts you right in the middle of a living, breathing environment.

Sound has always been one of the most neglected areas of this series, and although Arma 3 has brought significant improvements, there is still so much that is lacking or simply broken.

At last:

A commonly reported issue relates to surround sound audio setups. We are specifically looking into problems with center speaker volume during conversations in 3D space.

Source: http://dev.arma3.com/sitrep-00033

Where did you find this report?

Latest SITREP. Those are actually worth reading. ;)

I've noticed strange issues with speech (e.g. during the mission briefings from Miller), where the volume varies greatly depending on which direction I happen to be looking (without any change in distance). If I turn 90° to left of the source, the sound goes very quiet, almost inaudible. Look straight at source, volume increases. Look 90° to the right, volume gets louder again. Can anyone else confirm?

I'm using headphones and an X-Fi card. All the Creative and Windows speaker settings are set to stereo headphones, no CMSS or other effects.

EDIT: this issue describes the effect I'm having: http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=10145

Edited by ceeeb

I've noticed strange issues with speech (e.g. during the mission briefings from Miller), where the volume varies greatly depending on which direction I happen to be looking (without any change in distance). If I turn 90° to left of the source, the sound goes very quiet, almost inaudible. Look straight at source, volume increases. Look 90° to the right, volume gets louder again. Can anyone else confirm?

I'm using headphones and an X-Fi card. All the Creative and Windows speaker settings are set to stereo headphones, no CMSS or other effects.

EDIT: this issue describes the effect I'm having: http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=10145

Same here.

The bug you're describing is mentioned several times in this thread if i'm not mistaken.

Ah thanks, you're right. My bad sorry, I only read the most recent posts.

Just to let you folks know that dwarden set up an arma3 Skype channel. I could sacrifice three chickens and a goat to figure out how to pass you the url for it, or simply ask dwarden to connect you.:cool:

Apart from the obvious in-development problems of correct left / right stereo channels and all the other 'annoyances' this thread is talking about, which is engine specific and nothing 'we' can do about except report such things, there are two major technicals that also need to be addressed (and things we can do something about):

1) this thread started life as a blog of 'how clever we are' because the wss format was changing and would (apart from other things) accept stereo.

this is total rubbish. the wss format has not changed, and stereo has been available for anyone using dewss.exe for quite some time.

2) There has been a typical stuff up where the old sound array[] formats have been destroyed. While the parameters remain the same, some genius altered their meaning in an all too familiar 'we do n't care about backward compatibility'. Particularly the db level and volume. What that means for us is that we can't just copy n paste A2 sounds[] arrays and expect them to work

hopefully the skype channel can get some fast responses and work arounds from and for the community, because sure as hell, your bis tickets are inevitably ignored.

Some of things like the snapping sounds the Arma 2 sounds had are missing causing the sound to be a lot more unrealistic like battlefield 3/4. Though it seems like the sound engine is still WIP. Hope to see improvements!

Edited by ProGamer

I'd be happy if it was clearer where incoming fire is coming from. Right now its so hard to hear over headphones , but its not the headphones because other games are clearly able to provide positional information via the same headphones.

I only came here to say something I noticed today: I installed the JSRS 2.0 mod for a better sound.

And... And... WOW! I mean, you guys (BIS) would do the greatest mistake if you don't understand that it does SO MUCH difference, I mean it's totally incredible! I think the rifle sound are great in default version, but for explosion and gunfire that come from the enemies, and also for the teammates firing from behind, it's incredibly better!! I was not anymore moving under fire (because not anymore 'pic' 'pic' 'pic' when someone shooting at me), but instead hidding as much as possible. And only because of the sound! I will probably never be able to play without it, unless BIS try to do something with the default sound engine! I repeat: I think you're doing a mistake if you think it is not important. Look at BF3, everybody talk about that. Sound immersion is very important.

PS:sorry if this has already been said, but I had to add my part!

I was wondering, can I have the default small arms sounds but use JSRS's sounds for everything else?

edit: This might fit better in the JSRS-thread...

Edited by CaptainObvious
wrong thread perhaps

i hope You noticed our Sound Recording Master there (the guy in red is Ondrej Matejka) :) )

note: he record and manage sound/music for quite lot of games/studios ;)

Coldn't recognize him without the sandals. And socks. :D

I was wondering, can I have the default small arms sounds but use JSRS's sounds for everything else?

so far as I am aware sounds[] generally are now incompatible to a2. A different formula is used for the meanings of db level and volume. It's not across the board yet, and it's patchy as to what's currently not been tinkered with and what's been left unmolested. But essentially, bis have broken compatibility when there was no need to do so.

It is rare to unlikely that bis have even heard of JSRS. Cwr2 uses it and we will not be making the effort to reinvent wheels (yet again) to move to a3.

i hope You noticed our Sound Recording Master there (the guy in red is Ondrej Matejka) :) )

note: he record and manage sound/music for quite lot of games/studios ;)

He seems to have a interesting Job^^

(Does this mean that any of this might be coming to A3?)