mjr.hassle

removing throttle centering on T.flight Hotas x.

I bought the Thrustmaster T.flight Hotas x last year with the main aim of using it with ToH. Alas, it has a fantastically annoying 'feature' where the throttle/collective clunks into the centre position. This makes fine adjustments quite tricky, it takes quite some force to move the throttle out of the centre, more often then not causing me to over torque or bury myself into the ground. Landings just weren't happening.

So it's sat there doing nothing whilst I kept using the Speedlink Blackwidow. (Not a bad stick for the price, but its heavy going.) I'd looked everywhere for a guide on how to get rid of the centering, and last night as a last resort I took the throttle apart to see what I could do.

Keep in mind that I didn't use this stick, and if I broke it I still had the one I was using anyway. :)

It was remarkably easy. And incase anyone else wants to know how, this is what I did. :)

(You don't need to do anything to the joystick part, just the throttle. I found it much easier having the throttle and stick detached from each other. Having the cable loose is needed. So don't tuck it away in the space provided. If you own the stick, you know what I mean.)

I removed the 8 screws from the base. 2 were under where the cable sits, so just follow where the cable goes, and you'll see them.

Carefully remove the top of the throttle, and feed the cable through the hole in the base, to give yourself more room to work with and to avoid pulling the wires out.

Look inside the throttle and you'll see a grey plastic strip in the centre, held in place with a screw at each end. CAREFUL! You need to remove this strip, but there's a spring beneath it, so hold the strip in place whilst you remove the screws. You don't want anything pinging off.

Under this strip, is a plastic cap with a spring inside. Simply remove these. They aren't attached to anything, so no breaking or bodging required. :)

Replace the plastic strip, and re-assemble your throttle.

Thats it! Works perfectly for me. Do note, that depending how tight you put the screws back in the base, the throttle might seem stiff. Simply loosen each screw a tiny bit until the throttle moves in a way that your happy with.

DISCLAIMER: If things go wrong for you, its not my fault. Also this will of course void any warranty on the stick. As long as you're not heavy handed and take care doing this, you shouldn't run into any problems.

• Like 1

Well that's one home-adjusted throttle. :cool:

This sticks are usually stiff so as to simulate throttle in airplanes. They are not designed to be used on helicopters. But on the other hand there is sadly no helicopter designed joystick out in the market. It would really be great to have a throttle specifically for helicopters and if needed why not adjust the throttle and the joystick to a chair of some sort so as to have the joystick between your legs just like in real helicopters. It would really be a unique product.

I mean how difficult can it be? Why has no company made such a thing?

lol! I know exactly what you mean.

When I read the reviews for the Hotas X, they loved it. Only after buying it did I realise they only tested it on fixed wing sims. :(

I guess even in the sim world helo flyers are a niche market. Seems we're forced to buy inappropriate controls, or spend a small fortune on bolt to the floor setups.

Having said that, my Hotas X is a joy to fly with now.

• Like 1

Use a round rasp, a screwdriver. Throttle lever and sort things out Grind off locking tabs. Himself made such a procedure. One week after purchase. Use a joystick for two years.

I did this also, however, there is still an area in the middle that loses it's sensitivity. Look at the calibration screen and you will see that there is play in the middle. About mid way through, the cursor will stop moving for a second and then will pick up.

Heh! I'll be darned. Never noticed it whilst flying, but just opened up the calibration as you mentioned and its certainly there. Hmm. Wonder if the plastic cap is needed for some reason or if this can't be worked around. Will go delving this evening to see if I can change it. Cheers for the heads up!

• Like 1

Apologies for posting on such an old thread.

I was wondering if you could keep the centering, but make the spring shorter?

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure that dead zone in the throttle is in the electronics. It's mostly unnoticeable.

I modded mine by grinding the tab off, polishing it smooth with a dremel, then greasing with dielectric grease (automotive spark plug stuff - don't use lithium or petrolium lubes on plastic).

What irritates me more with mine is that the cyclic stick has a cam feeling about 75% off center in every direction. So, it moves nice and easy for 75% of its range, then you have to muscle it a bit harder over the "hump".

lol! I know exactly what you mean.

When I read the reviews for the Hotas X, they loved it. Only after buying it did I realise they only tested it on fixed wing sims. :(

I guess even in the sim world helo flyers are a niche market. Seems we're forced to buy inappropriate controls, or spend a small fortune on bolt to the floor setups.

Having said that, my Hotas X is a joy to fly with now.

I'm having a lot of trouble setting my x-55 hotas all it shows is mouse controls any suggestions?