Sign in to follow this  
lordprimate

SweetFX in Arma 3

Most options are non hardware consuming as far as I know - only a few require more power.

Just switch these off;)

It looks amazing but unfortunately the FPS impact is, Im afraid, not worth it:confused:. I get 70-73 FPS in Agia Marina with an empty map and with SweetFX I get 60 FPS.

I might use it in the future if the game gets optimized by BIS.

Sweetfx FPS impact should be 1-2 frames. Disable Lumasharpen, bloom, HDR and SMAA in sweetfx config to get back that fps.

It looks amazing but unfortunately the FPS impact is, Im afraid, not worth it:confused:. I get 70-73 FPS in Agia Marina with an empty map and with SweetFX I get 60 FPS.

I might use it in the future if the game gets optimized by BIS.

"empty map" may be the most important part here. There are a lot of mods, which impact FPS by a noticeable amount when run at an editor mission. But once you play a mission with some scripts, AI on MP, fps drop is usually around 0.5 to 1 fps, as the mission will bottleneck a lot of your hardware resources.

Did the latest update break sweetfx? It is not working anymore for me..

I've been using SweetFX with Arma 3 since the Alpha release and I've never had a problem, even with opting in and out of dev builds. Might be something on your end.

Strange, the next day SweetFX worked again ...

what i have noticed is that if you start video recording software before you launch the game it will interfere with SweetFX.

for instance:

If I start bandicam , or playclaw BEFORE I launch the game .. SweetFX DOESNT work. If I start ARMA before I start any video recording software.. SweetFX works. I dont have Fraps so I cant say if it has the same affect..

what i have noticed is that if you start video recording software before you launch the game it will interfere with SweetFX.

for instance:

If I start bandicam , or playclaw BEFORE I launch the game .. SweetFX DOESNT work. If I start ARMA before I start any video recording software.. SweetFX works. I dont have Fraps so I cant say if it has the same affect..

Thanks man, you just answered my question about recording before I typed it. I want to use this but do a lot of fraps recording. Now that you cleared that up I will be downloading this for sure to use in my new machinima.

Can anyone tell me why my night sky looks like this using 1.4 haven't changed any settings?

---------- Post added at 20:49 ---------- Previous post was at 20:47 ----------

Can anyone tell me why my night sky looks like this using 1.4 haven't changed any settings?

http://i.imgur.com/zZcBKlF.jpg (181 kB)

Aaaaah colors. All the Arma games day time have always been so grey. SweetFX really does the trick.

---------- Post added at 20:49 ---------- Previous post was at 20:47 ----------

http://i.imgur.com/zZcBKlF.jpg (181 kB)

Its the midrange texture mod.There is an updated version with a fix.

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=19524

using 2.0 without twaeking as it is, must say, it really improves the overal look, picture looks more contrast, colorful, only with nigh googles it looks oversaturated.

using 2.0 without twaeking as it is, must say, it really improves the overal look, picture looks more contrast, colorful, only with nigh googles it looks oversaturated.

Hey neuro, where did you get sweetFX 2.0.. I have tried looking for a few and the link posted by author at Gugu3d doesnt have it..

I toned down the vibrance a little bit more:

screenshot7814als0k.png screenshot22595xqsa2.png screenshot74193xos6h.png screenshot84777ygs9h.png screenshot135569stsz0.png

didnt use much: (doesnt cost any fps)

#define USE_SMAA_ANTIALIASING  1            // [0 or 1] SMAA Anti-aliasing : Smoothens jagged lines using the SMAA technique.
#define USE_LUMASHARPEN        1            // [0 or 1] LumaSharpen : Also sharpens the antialiased edges which makes them less smooth - I'm working on fixing that.
#define USE_VIBRANCE           1            // [0 or 1] Vibrance : Intelligently saturates (or desaturates if you use negative values) the pixels depending on their original saturation.
#define USE_CURVES             1            // [0 or 1] Curves : Contrast adjustments using S-curves.

Edited by tremanarch

Awesome pics tremanarch :)

Pictures 3 and 5 are the most beatiful :rolleyes:

didnt use much: (doesnt cost any fps)

#define USE_SMAA_ANTIALIASING  1            // [0 or 1] SMAA Anti-aliasing : Smoothens jagged lines using the SMAA technique.
#define USE_LUMASHARPEN        1            // [0 or 1] LumaSharpen : Also sharpens the antialiased edges which makes them less smooth - I'm working on fixing that.
#define USE_VIBRANCE           1            // [0 or 1] Vibrance : Intelligently saturates (or desaturates if you use negative values) the pixels depending on their original saturation.
#define USE_CURVES             1            // [0 or 1] Curves : Contrast adjustments using S-curves.

tremanarch, did you use only those settings with the default setting.txt or did you use someone else's settings as platform? Pics look awesome, even the strong sharpening fits it pretty well IMO, but when I tried those settings it looked completely different on my screen.

Here's my settings.txt (for version 1.4), didn't use much time tweaking but it looks pretty neat on my screen now: http://www.sendspace.com/file/5irz0v

Here are both SweetFX v1.4 and the tweaked settings: http://www.sendspace.com/file/ndgc0j

Installation:

1. Just extract the .7z file into your Arma 3 main folder so that the files (.dll, .fx and .txt) are in the same folder with arma3.exe

2. Launch the game, go to editor, place an unit there and preview

3. Make sure that the profile is enabled by tapping SCROLL LOCK key (it disables/enables the profile)

4. Then adjust gamma in game video settings (game must be in fullscreen mode)

Note: My screen is in sRGB mode so if you're using tweaked screen settings or some special preset (eg. theater/movie mode or night view mode), the game might look oversaturated and overcontrasted

Edited by Ezcoo

no I didnt use hte default setting.

http://pastebin.com/rQycBXXX

yeah I have a bit too much sharpening, but its pleasure for my old rusty eyes.. I cant play arma competitive without glasses and a bit more sharpening, sadness :(

but anyway.. i can upload my settings if you like, heres some comparisons (so you see I didnt change that much, the beauty comes from the game itself ;) ) - anyway since I installed sweetFX I keep toning down the changes, maybe in the end I am with vanilla again XD

screenshot99201krsi1.png screenshot99206qis3z.png

--

some more beautiful screenshots (I love the nighttime!!!!)

screenshot128089qgsj0.png screenshot143448jds6r.png screenshot159848hxsdb.png screenshot200513c0sh8.png screenshot2142685dsix.png screenshot229810gwsmm.png

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?147389-Arma-3-Photography-No-images-over-100kb-Pictures-only-NO-comments!&p=2431032&viewfull=1#post2431032

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?147389-Arma-3-Photography-No-images-over-100kb-Pictures-only-NO-comments!&p=2436442&viewfull=1#post2436442

Edited by tremanarch

How do you take the screenshots with SweetFX on? I have tried with Steam screenshot function, MSI Afterburner and basic PRTSCN and pasting it to Paint, but with Steam screenshot the picture shows without SweetFX tweaks, and with Afterburner and PRTSCN the whole pic is just completely black.

Arma 3 need to loose colors for real, not encreasing. My new monitor with ~105% sRGB gives me more in blue and red and color balance became perfect. So, this thing not gonna help. So, in game color balance close enough.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4934308/Arma%203/SweetFX.jpg

This is example. Sky have wrong color. Ground have overconstract. And that is totally away from Ageos Elfstratis references.

http://f4.s.qip.ru/WMlLyKqU.png

But 'old' need some cyan in this view.

Edited by Anachoretes

Anyone with an ATI GPU really should be using RadeonPro for SweetFX and FPS/Screenshotting. Works beautifully.

How do you take the screenshots with SweetFX on? I have tried with Steam screenshot function, MSI Afterburner and basic PRTSCN and pasting it to Paint, but with Steam screenshot the picture shows without SweetFX tweaks, and with Afterburner and PRTSCN the whole pic is just completely black.

sweetFX itself has a screenshot function, along with a reload and a toggle on /off

@anachoretes: i did not understand what you said, nor what the pics mean.

with sweetfx you can alter the colours and the saturation.. im pretty happy with vanilla atm.

tremanarch

As i can see, people don't know about natural colors. So, 80% of sweetFX results is oversaturated, overcontrasted, clipped out. And game itself have alot of SMAA presets with same FPS loss(or even better). That's why i can't realize how sweetfx improve something. And i don't want to play with people who have tools for PP. This is potential cheating.

Edited by Anachoretes

tremanarch

As i can see, people don't know about natural colors. So, 80% of sweetFX results is oversaturated, overcontrasted, clipped out. And game itself have alot of SMAA presets with same FPS loss(or even better). That's why i can't realize how sweetfx improve something. And i don't want to play with people who have tools for PP. This is potential cheating.

potential cheeting ... LOL .. natural colors .. LOL...

First of if "YOUR MONITOR" has a problem creating colors maybe it needs some of its settings changed "IE" color temp, contrast.. etc.. I can see that you dont like COLOR .. so lets just say, "DONT USE SWEETFX" its as simple as that...

I dont know about how you see the world Buddy.. but when i open my eyes i see Vibrant Colors, and Crazy hue's.. I See in Color.. Arma have NEVER provided the color saturation that i see in real life.. So when i found SweetFX i was stoked that i can make the game look more like I see things .. not shrouded in GREY... If you cant tell that the arma series always has a Grey haze... Then i feel sorry for you because that just means you cant see color you see black and white.. and i feel bad for anyone that cannot experience the Pure Joy that is Color...

And as far as you insinuating that people who use SweetFX are Cheeting somehow.. GTFO... Are you Serious?!?!?! because people have a sharper image, and more color saturation, vibrance, dither, then you do on you shit monitor, you want to call them cheeters.. Go Sit and spin my friend because you are a total Troll... I have used SweetFX for a LONG time now in ARMA 2 and now 3 and i have to say there is NO way you can use it for cheeting .. JUST A BETTER GAMING EXPERIENCE... Troll GTFO!