Sign in to follow this  
pettka

Arma 3 cars config guidelines

What I'm interested in admittedly would be documentation for airplaneX... hopefully before the third campaign episode and the BLUFOR/OPFOR jets. They will use airplaneX, I imagine...?

From what I understood when those jets will be implemented full airplaneX is coming with them. But best luck with the wish for full documentation. At best, you would receive very little....

From what I understood when those jets will be implemented full airplaneX is coming with them. But best luck with the wish for full documentation. At best, you would receive very little....
Even the lines in such jets' configs (I don't know if model.cfg would play a role or whether it'd all be in the config.cpp) would be more documentation than we've gotten to date, other than from a BISim VBS2 2.0 manual.

I also don't understand this line from the wiki:

Value of minimal gear effectivity to hold current gear. If there is better gear and effectivity is below this value then change gear. It is an array of effectivities ordered by gears in complex gearbox. Neutral should have rather low effectivity (0.15 seems to be a good value), drive gears should have rather high value (around 0.95) to prevent switching gears too often

Lets assume there is a better gear. The effectivity is below the value i set, then it changes gear. That means the lower i set the efficiency value, the later the gear will be switched.

So why "drive gears should have rather high value (around 0.95) to prevent switching gears too often" ? This contradicts itself, or is it not? If the value would be high the gear would "already" be shifted at 0.95% efficiency. So either the first case is wrong or the example is wrong.

i confirmed my suspicion, wiki is wrong here. Efficiency 1 means maximum torque. If you set 0.95 as efficiency for the gear, it will only use only the area of your torque curve where torque is at least 95% of peak torque. Depending on the torque curve this range can be extremely small. Therefore, if you want to prevent switching gears too often, you have to set a lower efficiency value. Setting it too low however will cause skipped gears and the engine struggle during high loads for rpm where it has only very little torque.