Sign in to follow this  
InRange

Combat boots

UtesPi4.jpg

How hard are they to see compared to the regular US camo?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Benze @ July 18 2002,23:02)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">UtesPi4.jpg

How hard are they to see compared to the regular US camo?<span id='postcolor'>

My opinion would be "very."

Semper Fi

I was issued these at Basic Training.  Standard US Army boots.  They did me right for the first few years I was in.

cbi03b.jpg

Then I got a pair of Corcoran Jump Boots at a garage sale for $2.  Considering that a new pair goes for $100 or more, I got a great deal.  I love these boots.  I'll never put on another pair of standard issue boots again. Funny to think that they've been making these the same way since WW2.

cjm98a.jpg

Unless, of course, it's cold (as it often gets here in Minnesota). Then I wear these standard issue boots:

8932L.jpg

These Matterhorn boots are super-comfy. Even in the summertime, these are great boots to wear. Lots of cushioning, and they're waterproof. The jump boots aren't.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (USSoldier11B @ July 16 2002,20:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I wear Altamas as well. I hate them. .<span id='postcolor'>

Why do you hate them?  I think they're pretty good.  They wear out a bit faster but they fit me great and practically feel like sneakers for me.

Meindl Tunturisusi...

"Tunturisusi" means (roughly) "Tundra wolf" in Finnish, so I think it´s wierd that a German company manufactures them.

confused.gif

hehe, and I know that many clothes of the german army are made by an indonesian company. I got a friend whose father once managed the german market.

I got a question though. I always see the same boots over and over again. It appears they are the same for decades, nearly a century now. Even if they are so good, they are damm heavy and need so much care. Isnt there something new like GORE-TEX or so,? I mean light, warm, breathing shoes? Or are they simply too expensive?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Why do you hate them? I think they're pretty good. They wear out a bit faster but they fit me great and practically feel like sneakers for me. <span id='postcolor'>

My feet are shaped wierd. I have really high arches, really wide in the ball of foot area, but narrow in the heel. Altamas are too wide in the heel and give me terrible blisters. I won't hump in them, only use leg boots. As most G.I.'s have found after being in the Army for a while, putting a really good sole on your boot makes a world of difference. I do not like the standard issue Panama sole, also remove the heel and toe caps. Makes boots harder to spit shine, but much more comfortable.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Gollum1 @ July 22 2002,21:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Meindl Tunturisusi...

"Tunturisusi" means (roughly) "Tundra wolf" in Finnish, so I think it´s wierd that a German company manufactures them.<span id='postcolor'>

Yep, it is weird, but that's the way it is. Meindl IS a german company. I think that Tunturisusi-model is a special adaptation of Meindl's Island-model for finnish conditions. Thus they labelled it with a finnish name.