Sign in to follow this  
Drumheller

ArmA 3 Editor Tutorials - Building Simple Missions

This stuff is so helpfull! I just want to say thank you again! :bounce3:

I finally got tired of just poking around Straits and this is exactly what I was looking for next. Thank you for doing these tutorials.

I know this is probably a lot to ask but is there a chance of making a vid of the commands. In your last video your AI are following you. I can get the to get in a vehicle and dismount but i cant get the vehcile to follow me, and when they do get out they just stand around (as if having a chat)

Thank you so much, Macscottie. For all those incredible video tutorials about the editor.

A quick question:

How can i create in the editor those types of objectives that automatically counts from 100 to 0, and the circle goes blue or red with the presence of the teams?

I see that in Capture the Island mode, how can i set this modes on the editor? Can we have a tutorial for that as well?

Thank you, mate.

Just like to say thank's for those incredibly helpful tutorials. I always wondered how modules i.e. site and support worked. I'am wondering however if you know how to hook the support module up to a require a trigger activation before it can be used by player's?

Tal

OP Updated: Customizing Unit Loadouts

Thank you so much, Macscottie. For all those incredible video tutorials about the editor.

A quick question:

How can i create in the editor those types of objectives that automatically counts from 100 to 0, and the circle goes blue or red with the presence of the teams?

I see that in Capture the Island mode, how can i set this modes on the editor? Can we have a tutorial for that as well?

Thank you, mate.

No idea how to do this.

Just like to say thank's for those incredibly helpful tutorials. I always wondered how modules i.e. site and support worked. I'am wondering however if you know how to hook the support module up to a require a trigger activation before it can be used by player's?

Tal

Nope I don't know how to release support on a trigger. :/

These videos are superb! Started with the editor a few days after release and.. well it was pain to get through it. With these videos it's quite easy and they're also fun to watch. I like it. :)

Edited by SeiFe

Very helpful, thank you!

---------- Post added at 11:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:51 AM ----------

Tal

Posted this in another thread:

I had the same problem but I found a (unrealistic but working) fix:

1. give the mortar a name, for example mortarBlufor1

2. when placing the mortar, pull the ammunition slider all the way to the left (no ammo) - u can still access it from the beginning now, but it lacks ammo and thus can't fire

3. when you meet the requirements (through a trigger or whatever), add ammo:

Code:

mortarBlufor1 addMagazine "8Rnd_82mm_Mo_shells";
mortarBlufor1 setVehicleAmmo 0.1;

The last line makes it only have 1 round. If you don't use this line, you'll have the full 8 shots.

Nope I don't know how to release support on a trigger. :/

Managed to figure out how to release and remove support modules using triggers with thank's to Azza76 in another thread.

Here's how I do it now for setting up Transport, CAS and Artillery Support modules.

Support Requester synced to Support Provider synced to AH-6/MH-6/Artillery etc.

Trigger Activation: What ever you need to set off the trigger e.g. Blufor, Present, Once

Trigger set Condition: What ever condition's you need such as

this && taskState task2 == "Assigned";

Trigger set to On Act:

support_module_mortar synchronizeObjectsAdd [player]; //support_module_mortar is the name of the Support Requester, make yours match

If you need to remove the support later, you can use

support_module_mortar synchronizeObjectsRemove [player]; //support_module_mortar is the name of the Support Requester, make yours match

in another trigger.

Thought I'd share it encase you wanted to mention it in a video or expand on it etc. Once again, thank's for those brilliant videos.

Tal

Jester I'd like to thank you for giving me the enthusiasm to start making my own missions for my clan and hopefully the community at large when I get better

I have been trying to set up a custom loadout, following the guide that MacScottie/Jester posted. I am having an issue with getting ammo mags to appear in my inventory when I start the mission. I have tried both of the following:

this addmagazine "30Rnd_65x39_caseless_mag"; multiple times

or

this addmagazines ["30Rnd_65x39_caseless_mag",6];

When I start the mission, I only have one mag in the rifle and nothing in my gear. I'm totally new to this, and would greatly appreciate any assistance offered.

Edited by Galactapuss

This question is in regards to the "ArmA 3 Editor Tutorial - Custom Unit Loadouts"

After respawning back into the map It defaults back to the regular unit loadout. Is there a way to ensure that everytime you respawn - you come back wearing the custom gear that was put into the unit's init file ?

Do I need to modify the descriptor txt file you outlined in one of your first tutorials in order to get the respawn working with the custom loadout ? :confused:

This question is in regards to the "ArmA 3 Editor Tutorial - Custom Unit Loadouts"

After respawning back into the map It defaults back to the regular unit loadout. Is there a way to ensure that everytime you respawn - you come back wearing the custom gear that was put into the unit's init file ?

Do I need to modify the descriptor txt file you outlined in one of your first tutorials in order to get the respawn working with the custom loadout ? :confused:

For ArmA 2 there was a module that you could simply place down for this. Maybe it was part of ACE. I don't know. It requires actual scripting and it's beyond me at this point in time. I recommend putting a custom gearbox down at the respawn point. Sorry I can't help more on this!

Hopefully someone will release it in module form again soon.

---------- Post added at 08:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:25 PM ----------

I have been trying to set up a custom loadout, following the guide that MacScottie/Jester posted. I am having an issue with getting ammo mags to appear in my inventory when I start the mission. I have tried both of the following:

this addmagazine "30Rnd_65x39_caseless_mag"; multiple times

or

this addmagazines ["30Rnd_65x39_caseless_mag",6];

When I start the mission, I only have one mag in the rifle and nothing in my gear. I'm totally new to this, and would greatly appreciate any assistance offered.

Are you the same guy that I'm trying to help with this exact same issue on reddit?

For ArmA 2 there was a module that you could simply place down for this. Maybe it was part of ACE. I don't know. It requires actual scripting and it's beyond me at this point in time. I recommend putting a custom gearbox down at the respawn point. Sorry I can't help more on this!

---------- Post added at 08:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:25 PM ----------

Are you the same guy that I'm trying to help with this exact same issue on reddit?

No - I'm not the reddit guy .....buuuuut I did post the same issue on your Facebook under the video tutorial for Custom Unit Gear:j:

P.S. Thanks for the tutorials btw - your an ace & I salute you sir.

This is apparently how respawning works: a new unit of the same type as the dead unit is spawned at the respawn marker. The control of the old unit (now just a corpse) is switched to the new unit. This new unit is of the same type as the unit you placed in the editor, but it is not the same unit you placed, so the code in the init. field in the editor is not executed on the new unit. You need ask the arma engine to alert you when the unit respawns, and then execute the custom loadout script again.

Put this anywhere in the init. field:

this addEventHandler ["Respawn", { _this select 0 execVM "Jester Loadout.sqf"}];

_this select 0 refers to the newly spawned unit. _this select 1 would refer to the old unit, which would be dead on the ground at this point. (The respawn event happens when the unit dies, and the code in the curly brackets is not executed until the respawn event happens.)

Or, you can add this to the end of your custom loadout file, so that you wont' have to add the above line of code to init. fields.

_idx = _this addEventHandler ["Respawn", 
{
	_newUnit = _this select 0;
	_newUnit removeEventHandler ["Respawn", _idx];
	null = _newUnit execVM "Jester Loadout.sqf"
}];

But, everytime the loadout script is run a new event handler is added. To ensure that strange problems don't arise, before the loadout script is run again, the old event handler is removed, so the unit only ever has one respawn event handler.

I am, thought I would cover my bases. Thank you for your help. Your suggestion worked perfectly, list the uniform before the equipment and the magazines loaded correctly.

This is apparently how respawning works: a new unit of the same type as the dead unit is spawned at the respawn marker. The control of the old unit (now just a corpse) is switched to the new unit. This new unit is of the same type as the unit you placed in the editor, but it is not the same unit you placed, so the code in the init. field in the editor is not executed on the new unit. You need ask the arma engine to alert you when the unit respawns, and then execute the custom loadout script again.

Put this anywhere in the init. field:

this addEventHandler ["Respawn", { _this select 0 execVM "Jester Loadout.sqf"}];

_this select 0 refers to the newly spawned unit. _this select 1 would refer to the old unit, which would be dead on the ground at this point. (The respawn event happens when the unit dies, and the code in the curly brackets is not executed until the respawn event happens.)

Or, you can add this to the end of your custom loadout file, so that you wont' have to add the above line of code to init. fields.

_idx = _this addEventHandler ["Respawn", 
{
	_newUnit = _this select 0;
	_newUnit removeEventHandler ["Respawn", _idx];
	null = _newUnit execVM "Jester Loadout.sqf"
}];

But, everytime the loadout script is run a new event handler is added. To ensure that strange problems don't arise, before the loadout script is run again, the old event handler is removed, so the unit only ever has one respawn event handler.

So... I'm not using a script for the loadouts. I put them on the unit's init field directly in game. I'm not GREAT with scripts(Hence the "simple" editor tutorial series ;) ). When you say "Jester Loadout.sqf" are you assuming that I assign the gear to the units via external script? Would that be the only way to make the unit respawn with the same gear?

So... I'm not using a script for the loadouts. I put them on the unit's init field directly in game. I'm not GREAT with scripts(Hence the "simple" editor tutorial series ;) ). When you say "Jester Loadout.sqf" are you assuming that I assign the gear to the units via external script? Would that be the only way to make the unit respawn with the same gear?

Yes, I'm assuming that you do assign the gear in an external script, and, as far as I know, I think that is the only way to make a unit respawn with the same gear. To assign the gear in an external script, in the Notepad file you made in the Custom Loadout tutorial, just replace all occurrences of "this" with "_this" ("_this" is a reference to the argument passed into the script. I don't think "this" is defined as anything in a script), and save it as whatever.sqf. The whole init. field of whichever unit you want should like:

this execVM "whatever.sqf"
this addEventHandler ["Respawn", { _this select 0 execVM "whatever.sqf"}];

The first line is necessary because the first time a unit spawns is not considered a respawn. Also, here "this" (your unit) is the argument passed to the script whatever.sqf

Great tutorials, they've been immensely helpful to me! I'm looking forward to seeing more!

I have been working on making up a simple mission and as part of it I would like to have a QRF board a heli and fly to a set down point. I want to set the heli up with waypoints for this, i.e. move, load, move, transport unload etc. However I am failing at the most basic step of getting the heli to move at all. I have tried spawning BLUFOR heli on the ground, giving it MOVE. It just sits there. I have spawned empty heli and a pilot, giving him the command GET IN, followed by MOVE. Nothing. I feel retarded and quite frustrated. The only command that will get the heli to power up and move is SEEK and DESTROY. I'm sure there is something glaring obvious that I am missing, so I apologise if I am bringing every one's collective intelligence down.