• Please log in to reply
158 replies to this topic
macscottie
macscottie

Master Sergeant

• Members
  • 705 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 19:35 #1

Greetings fellow ArmAholics. I have created a series of tutorials going over everything you should need to know to build a simple-moderate level missions from the ground up in ArmA 3. The ArmA editor is very simple to understand and use once you get to know it, but starting out it can be a little daunting.

Building a Simple Mission Part 1 - Editor Familiarization and Friendly Spawn Setup
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3gPC6hDOwY

Building a Simple Mission Part 2 - Garrisoning an Enemy Base
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N-sRmbDcEo

Watch a playthrough of the mission created with just the two tutorials above

Editor Tutorial 2 - Building a Custom Gearbox

Editor Tutorial 3 - Markers, Waypoints, Triggers and Syncing - Whoops, I screwed something up in this video, check this link to see what it was and how to fix it.

Editor Tutorial 4 - Module - Sites

Editor Tutorial 5 - Modules - Support

Editor Tutorial 6 - Custom Unit Loadouts

Editor Tutorial 7 - Modules - Tasks

Editor Tutorial 8 - Modules - Briefings

Editor Tutorial 9 - IEDs and Ambushes

Editor Tutorial 10 - AI Building Patrols

Editor Tutorial 11 - Multiple Trigger Conditions

Editor Tutorial 12 - Building Custom Bases

Editor Tutorial 13 - Simple Hostage Rescue

Editor Tutorial 14 - Using the Config Viewer to find Classnames

Editor Tutorial 15 - High Command Tutorial, Guide, and Demonstration

New Video(after all this time) - Zeus Overview, Guide, and Quick Tutorial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UR_TN_XiZNE

I hope this helps you who are new to editing, and maybe even show some of you that are more experienced a trick or two!

BTC Revive set-up Tutorial

Edited by MacScottie, 12 April 2014 - 01:14.

MAJ J. Drumheller, "Goliath 6"
Commanding Officer
1st Battaloin, 506th IR
506th Infantry Regiment Realism Unit

Jester814 - My ArmA Youtube Channel

WetNeptune
WetNeptune

Private First Class

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 21:27 #2

Absolutely fantastic. Waiting for the next one, and the next one :icon_dj:

Desrat
Desrat

Staff Sergeant

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 21:47 #3

why SP Editor? Usually a good idea to do editing in MP editor unless you specifically want a SP mission..

Also you can change layout to be more like A2 editor which is a little more n00b friednly (ie units, groups etc have names instead of just icons)

good job otherwise though..
FSM Support System - AirDrop, Artillery, CAS, Bomb runs & Transport in one package.
A3 - Random House Garrison Script - Spawn units in houses randomly within give area.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Posted Image

DeadNome
DeadNome

Private First Class

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 21:59 #4

It was only yesterday I was looking unsuccessfully for a tutorial video for the Arma 3 editor.

Thanks a lot for this, very informative and easy to follow vid, looking forward to the next one.

Subbed.

lokoroth
lokoroth

Private First Class

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 22:46 #5

Thank so much for this! I had given up on making empty vehicles, but now I can do all the things!

3instein
3instein

Corporal

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 23:40 #6

Agreed,thanks for doing these.
I would like to try and get used to making short missions for myself so this is right up my street.
One thing I would like to learn is scripting.Not loads or big ones,just some small ones like the patrol script and how to put these into the editor and the best way to get them to work,so I hope you will cover that kinda stuff in some of your vids.
Eagerly waiting on others,
Cheers,
Mick.
3instein
Keep the faith

clydefrog
clydefrog

Master Sergeant

• Members
  • 704 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 23:59 #7

why SP Editor? Usually a good idea to do editing in MP editor unless you specifically want a SP mission..

Also you can change layout to be more like A2 editor which is a little more n00b friednly (ie units, groups etc have names instead of just icons)

good job otherwise though..

Why not? I've only ever made multiplayer missions and have always used the sp editor as in the mp editor you can't preview easily and there was some other problem too. What is it about the mp editor that is better for making mp missions because at least in arma 2 as far as I could tell it was exactly the same without the ability to do a simple preview, it would just load up a local host instead I think which is just not needed imo.

macscottie
macscottie

Master Sergeant

• Members
  • 705 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 00:38 #8

in the mp editor you can't preview easily

And that's why I use the SP editor.

Commanding Officer
1st Battaloin, 506th IR

Riff
Riff

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 15:55 #9

Thank you very much for the Tutorials!

They were extremely helpful and are much appreciated. I had spent several hours trying to create a mission but I was missing several things. Your tutorials clarified the process and I was able to make my own mission that works great!

Looking forward to any others you create.

Regards, Riff

dale0404
dale0404

Warrant Officer

• Members
  • 2472 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 16:25 #10

MacScottie, any chance of you doing a tutorial for MP missions? I can create SP missions quite easily but doing MP missions, I get the dreaded desync problem and I dont know why.

Thank you in advance.

Dale

Lockshot
Lockshot

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 16:32 #11

Hey great videos!
I am very interested in the editor and how it works, seeing arma 3 is very new there are not many videos available.
Your way of explaining things is very calm and clear, i am very much looking forward to more of your videos.
Because of this video series we may see a lot of cool new scenarios coming out :D

memphisbelle
memphisbelle

Master Sergeant

• Members
  • 661 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 16:39 #12

For all the new guys here around. Get the ArmA Editing guide from my signature below...it was originally written for the very first ArmA but most of the content is still working, at least those which are needed to built a working mission. The guide was written by Mr-Murray, I only made the translations from german to english
Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image ArmA Editing Guide Deluxe Edition - English Version Download
Posted Image ArmA Editing Guide Deluxe Edition - German Version Download
try my Weaponbox signs Addon
My System
ArmA3 Bugtracker

sproyd
sproyd

Gunnery Sergeant

• Members
  • 493 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 17:41 #13

Well I saw this thread after I'd found the vids on YouTube and i must say these are probably the best mission editor tutorials I've seen for Arma 2/3. However, I would really like you to go into more detail around triggers and syncing because although your friends all know when to call off a mission I'd like to make an exclusively single player mission that ends when certain conditions are met.

If you could make some more videos in this regard it would be greatly appreciated!!!

FortuN
FortuN

Sergeant

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 21:31 #14

Very good tutorials for those who are beginning with this! Think you are helping alot of people out there to start with the editor. I did learn somethings myself that i didn't know about, like the posititions in house you could set with waypoints.

Hope you are doing more and advanced videos soon! ;)
Computer Spec Intel 3570K | 8 Gb Ram | GTX660 TI

daze23
daze23

Staff Sergeant

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 22:46 #15

Well I saw this thread after I'd found the vids on YouTube and i must say these are probably the best mission editor tutorials I've seen for Arma 2/3. However, I would really like you to go into more detail around triggers and syncing because although your friends all know when to call off a mission I'd like to make an exclusively single player mission that ends when certain conditions are met.

If you could make some more videos in this regard it would be greatly appreciated!!!

yep, plus sometimes it's hard to tell if you've done something, like kill all the bad guys in an area, because the AI is good at hiding, flanking, etc

this guy also has a good series, and gets into triggers in this vid:

sitric28
sitric28

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:02 #16

Thank you so much for making these videos. I'm a complete newb at Arma, and when I saw the editor the other day, I was like..... "NOPE".

Going to jump back into it now and fiddle around with some very small missions to start :) Thanks again

Subbed to your channel as well

macscottie
macscottie

Master Sergeant

• Members
  • 705 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:15 #17

MacScottie, any chance of you doing a tutorial for MP missions? I can create SP missions quite easily but doing MP missions, I get the dreaded desync problem and I dont know why.

Thank you in advance.

Dale

The tutorial I did was a mission that would work in either SP or MP. As to your desync, I don't think that has anything to do with the mission. :/

I'll be doing several more. I'll probably do at LEAST Modules and Triggers/Syncing this week. There are some REALLY cool new modules.

Thank you so much for making these videos. I'm a complete newb at Arma, and when I saw the editor the other day, I was like..... "NOPE".

Going to jump back into it now and fiddle around with some very small missions to start :) Thanks again

Subbed to your channel as well

:) I made them because I know how daunting the editor can be to begin with, but when I started with it I had been modding/editing Morrowind/Oblivion for years, so it wasn't quite as bad for me. I have a great platform to help the community get started in mission making and I want to share my knowledge with everyone I can to see ArmA succeed amazingly.

You guys have no idea how excited I am to see ArmA III Alpha no.1 on steam top sellers every day since it came out. There is so much amazing potential for the new game that it's nearly incomprehensible.

Commanding Officer
1st Battaloin, 506th IR

sproyd
sproyd

Gunnery Sergeant

• Members
  • 493 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:18 #18

You guys have no idea how excited I am to see ArmA III Alpha no.1 on steam top sellers every day since it came out. There is so much amazing potential for the new game that it's nearly incomprehensible.

Arma 3 is the medicine the industry needs. It has been very sick for quite a while.

This kid
This kid

Lance Corporal

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:55 #19

Thanks MacScottie! This was great! Really helpfull stuff! :)

FortuN
FortuN

Sergeant

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 19:58 #20

Estimated time for next videos? ;)
Computer Spec Intel 3570K | 8 Gb Ram | GTX660 TI