Photo
- - - - -

How to change between stable Arma 3 Alpha versions & release candidates @STEAM client

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
78 replies to this topic

#1 Nicholas

Nicholas

Warrant Officer

• Members
  • 2966 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 00:00

NOTE: Using the development version of the game could hamper your experience with the game, with some unfinished assets available. However, we would greatly appreciate your feedback. Feedback can be submitted at feedback.arma3.com.

Want to be apart of the ArmA 3 development builds? Follow these 5 simple steps:

1) Open Steam and go to your game library
2) Right click on ArmA 3 Alpha, click Properties
3) Click on the BETAS tab
4) Click on the drop down menu, choose development - Development Build
5) Click Close

Congratulations, you are now in the development build of the ArmA 3 alpha!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Nicholas, 08 March 2013 - 07:23.

"The greatest way to avenge your enemy is by learning to forgive." - Takashi Tanemori

Opt Into the Development Build

AMD Drivers | NVIDIA Drivers

#2 BigMorgan

BigMorgan

Gunnery Sergeant

• Members
  • 571 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 00:03

Thank you for this! Had no idea!
Visit The Game Wardens Gaming Community
Posted Image
| i7 920 d0 @4.1gHz | ASUS Rampage III Formula | 12gb DDR3 1600mHz | Zotac AMP! Ed. GTX780 @1176mHz core | Crucial M4 500gb (Steam / A3) | OCZ Vertex 2 128gb (Boot) | Dell U2711 2560x1440 | Win. 7 x64 |

#3 Bee8190

Bee8190

First Sergeant

• Members
  • 812 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 00:09

Greatly appreciated. I'm new to steam and quite baffled by it, so any guide is well welcome

Ps- Would you happen to know how to send somebody the alpha invitation? Once they go green there will be many to circle around and I imagine I can't be the only one whos got no clue whatsoever ;)

It won't stop some people. Sadly, for some people it works like this: if it's not true, then it should be.

Soldiers! Don't fight for slavery! Fight for liberty!

A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.

Signature update in progress, sometimes

#4 pettka

pettka

BI Developer

• BI Developer
  • 693 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 00:09

Or try to look into the game directory for arma3_quick-start_guide.pdf - it is going to be set as a game manual soon(Valve-time) :icon_twisted:
Bohemia Interactive :icon_twisted:
I used to bounce during livestreams but then I took an Arrowhead into my knee :bounce2:

#5 Nicholas

Nicholas

Warrant Officer

• Members
  • 2966 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 00:13

Thanks pettka, I didn't even notice the PDF in the directory. Added some information from the PDF into the first post.

Edited by Nicholas, 07 March 2013 - 00:16.

"The greatest way to avenge your enemy is by learning to forgive." - Takashi Tanemori

#6 Wolffy.au

Wolffy.au

Gunnery Sergeant

• Members
  • 570 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 00:20

Great info - thanks
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#7 CombatComm

CombatComm

Staff Sergeant

• Members
  • 384 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:55

Can someone explain what this is exactly? Does this mean we are pushed updates and patches as soon as they come out?

#8 tremanarch

tremanarch

First Sergeant

• Members
  • 914 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:48

can you revert back anytime?

didntz work btw. the game crashes at start.. steam didnt download sth. when I checked the dev build

Edited by tremanarch, 07 March 2013 - 03:09.

Posted Image
. . . . .

#9 Bobby Budnick

Bobby Budnick

Sergeant

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:30

This method leaves much to be desired. Before this Steam DRM, we could concurrently run development versions and "stable" versions. This appears to replace the original version because Steam does not have a robust update system because they wish to forcibly ram updates down your throat!

#10 Tuskin38

Tuskin38

Private First Class

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:46

Thanks for the info.

#11 Tark

Tark

Private First Class

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:06

This method leaves much to be desired. Before this Steam DRM, we could concurrently run development versions and "stable" versions. This appears to replace the original version because Steam does not have a robust update system because they wish to forcibly ram updates down your throat!

Cry some more.

#12 Jsmuk

Jsmuk

Staff Sergeant

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:26

And you just switch it off if it is broken and it gets the right exe again.. The same way it works with other games that do it (and have more players than ArmA) like TF and CSGO.

#13 Gorbachev

Gorbachev

Sergeant

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 05:19

Seriously. Steam doesn't cram anything down your throat. You can OPT OUT OF ANY UPDATES WHATSOEVER.

I do this with Skyrim because SKSE updates sometimes days behind patch releases rendering the game useless until they update.

DROP IT.

#14 Nicholas

Nicholas

Warrant Officer

• Members
  • 2966 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:19

can you revert back anytime?

didntz work btw. the game crashes at start.. steam didnt download sth. when I checked the dev build

Working perfectly fine for me. I just played for a few hours with the development build.

#15 DMarkwick

DMarkwick

Major

• Members
  • 7297 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:27

Seriously. Steam doesn't cram anything down your throat. You can OPT OUT OF ANY UPDATES WHATSOEVER.

I do this with Skyrim because SKSE updates sometimes days behind patch releases rendering the game useless until they update.

DROP IT.

Not knowing that much about Steam, is it still possible to have a regular install (with its own desktop shortcut) and a beta install (with its own desktop shortcut) at the same time? My bandwidth doesn't allow for casual updates of large amounts of data.
Feel like ArmA is letting you down in some way? Watch this:

#16 TonyGrunt

TonyGrunt

First Sergeant

• Members
  • 972 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:30

Working perfectly fine for me. I just played for a few hours with the development build.

Are you sure you are using the development build, because enabling/disabling this option doesn't do anything for me, no new files are downloaded (I tried with verify game cache and restarting steam).
What is your build number in menu?
Maybe it's a placebo effect that it is running better.

#17 Nicholas

Nicholas

Warrant Officer

• Members
  • 2966 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:33

Not knowing that much about Steam, is it still possible to have a regular install (with its own desktop shortcut) and a beta install (with its own desktop shortcut) at the same time? My bandwidth doesn't allow for casual updates of large amounts of data.

I don't think so. Bohemia Interactive would have to do something similar to what Tripwire Interactive did with Red Orchestra 2. Tripwire Interactive had two versions of Red Orchestra 2 on Steam, one was the beta version and the other was the stable game. This allowed you to participate in the betas as well as have the stable release.

---------- Post added at 01:33 ---------- Previous post was at 01:31 ----------

Are you sure you are using the development build, because enabling/disabling this option doesn't do anything for me, no new files are downloaded (I tried with verify game cache and restarting steam).
What is your build number in menu?
Maybe it's a placebo effect that it is running better.

Yes, I am using the development build. You might not see any changes because they may have not uploaded anything to the servers. I have v0.5.102571

Edited by Nicholas, 07 March 2013 - 08:36.

#18 Gliptal

Gliptal

Master Gunnery Sergeant

• Members
  • 1254 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:37

I already passed to it yesterday, finally I understand what this means!

Happy to help the developers, but could someone explain what this option exactly does? Does this mean the game will be automatically hotfixed as the developers upload different versions of it? What's the difference with the normal patching system?

Yay!

#19 TonyGrunt

TonyGrunt

First Sergeant

• Members
  • 972 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:39

Yes, I am using the development build. You might not see any changes because they may have not uploaded anything to the servers. I have v0.5.102571

v0.5.102571 is normal version (what everyone runs), so you have just enabled the development build version but you too are waiting for it to be updated.
You are not running on a newer build.

#20 Nicholas

Nicholas

Warrant Officer

• Members
  • 2966 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:27

v0.5.102571 is normal version (what everyone runs), so you have just enabled the development build version but you too are waiting for it to be updated.
You are not running on a newer build.

I didn't believe I was, as there were no updates to perform when I opted into the development build. I know that they can update the game as much as they want, hopefully they will start using it soon.