Sign in to follow this  
rehtus777

Putting Stratis into perspective on size.

I've forgot about how large Everon and Malden is, how would those compare to with stratis?
I don't think you can compare with Everon and Malden.

This website shows all of the old maps: http://blog.naver.com/PostView.nhn?blogId=jdw13579&logNo=140177513329

The old ArmA CWA Maps seem to have 13kmx13km ( 169km² ) with half of it water. The reason why you can't directly compare their landmass is that they are much less populated then the newer maps. Huge areas are just countryside / empty fields without anything.

Btw.: Why is the BIS WIki not containing all these maps inside the wiki entries of the maps? There are only pictures of specific spots on the island but no real map.

Weird, that link did not work for me. For once I can't read the text and in addition to that I can't seem to find those maps. :/ Anyway, I found a few offical looking Maps for the old islands and could not resist. I decided to create a comparison of the main island based on the most official stuff I could find. I prefered to use those little scale markers in the corner to match up the maps.

http://s7.directupload.net/file/d/3197/b333uo3s_jpg.htm

Nogova does not get its own map, but I found a few maps that placed it's size in the same ballpark as that red map. That also gave me a good reason to use that map of Sahrani. There is another one out there which claims for the island to be a lot smaller, and that did not look right.

Also Skira. Because I actually liked Dragon Rising, bite me:p

I find it funny how the marketing try to dupe us about size and stuffs. For example the BF3 maps, it said "... 1900 meters... ". It does sound big, because we're talking about "one thousand and nine hundred" here. They wouldn't put "1.9km" because it just sounded small

I'll admit, if I didn't know about Arma, I'll probably be impressed with "1900 meters" thing. It really is huge... relatively speaking

Question, are they going to model the watermass between Lemnos and Stratis?

I hope so, but I haven't heard anything about that yet. If you look on the "Altis" map on comment #17 of this thread and the Stratis map on comment #1 of this thread and then compare it to Google Earth, you'll see that the two maps on the NE corner of Stratis and the SW Corner of "Altis" are only 20 km apart. BIS could easily latch the two maps together to make airspace for some tremendous Air Battles. We'll have to wait and see come late Summer or maybe the Beta. I personally hope they don't release "Altis" in the Beta, I want to be surprised with new stuff on the day it is officially released. :rolleyes:

Edited by rehtus777

Here are some more comparisons of "Stratis" with other famous places. It really puts things into perspective.

stratis111.jpg

I overlaid Stratis on top of New York City. :rolleyes: I put the Southern Tip of Stratis with the Southern Tip of Manhattan Island..... the Northern end reaches clear into Central Park.

PS. More city comparisons to come. Prague v. Altis is next.

[side note for the Moderators: I used OpenStreetMap for New York City....no copyright infringements with Openstreetmap, it is a free site and they encourage copying their maps.]

fry_notsure.jpg

Not sure if Stratis is small or New York is big

Edited by NordKindchen
Confused Alits and Stratis .-.-

Isn't Altis bigger than the main map that came with OFP. Even though this will sound odd...it's perfectly acceptable if Altis was the only map we were given lol even though it seems tiny, compared to any other game it's huge. Kudos to BIS for giving us bigger and better environments.

Isn't Altis bigger than the main map that came with OFP.

Which one of 3 of them?

Which one of 3 of them?

The three put together?

This image might give a pretty good idea of the actual size of the Altis... It's just frikkin' huge!

u3PAkvR.jpg

(click the pic to see one with higher resolution)

The sad thing is we'll need maps that are 1,000x1,000km to use jets properly though and ridiculous view/shadow/object draw distances to boot! BI will need to come up with some badass terrain generation/editing tools for that scale and detail in the next decade if that is to become feasible.
Not really. I don't think BI would have any technical issues with a 1000x1000km map, it's just the massive amount of modelling for it and the sheer size in GB that makes it financially challenging. They would have to do something about the rendering/streaming when flying though.

Here is another perspective of how big Altis is going to be....those in Prague should appreciate this image and the Grand Size of Altis. Some may think, "That doesn't look very big?" Have you ever been to the Prague Metroplex? It's huge.

prague11.jpg

Here's Altis vs. Stratis comparison:

mIfCHXk.jpg

(click the pic to see larger one)

Since there is room left on the right seaside, please BIS, can you include Stratis to the Altis Island ???

Well, since Altis is almost here (Aug. 26th) :p I thought it would be good to bump this thread back to the top for the newcomers and take a look at the Size of this Great Island compared to other Island's in the ArmA series. Go to the first page (Scroll down to see Altis) and then read the next few pages that follow. Good stuff.

Here's Altis vs. Stratis comparison:

http://i.imgur.com/mIfCHXk.jpg

(click the pic to see larger one)

Looks nuts...can't wait...

To bad there ain't a single build out there that can run this smoothly at 12000 view Distance. I would by it.

Looks nuts...can't wait...

To bad there ain't a single build out there that can run this smoothly at 12000 view Distance. I would by it.

They done it in A1 (also, only parts of the main map, north and south wich were very different), looks like DayZ SA it getting Cherno and Utes in the same space so one can dream about it.

Performance wise, dunno.

They done it in A1 (also, only parts of the main map, north and south wich were very different), looks like DayZ SA it getting Cherno and Utes in the same space so one can dream about it.

Performance wise, dunno.

Just wait, I guess...stick with my 8350 till something can tank this game with full view D...nothing on the markets gunna give me the desired frames for full distance right now..

Since there is room left on the right seaside, please BIS, can you include Stratis to the Altis Island ???

You realize the map goes infinitely far away from the island with ocean right? Stratis can be any distance from Altis.

Would be nice if they included Stratis with Altis, even using Stratis as a base or something.

You realize the map goes infinitely far away from the island with ocean right? Stratis can be any distance from Altis.

The map beyond the map's border is a procedural terrain. If you wish to have a designed area (such as Stratis) on the map the map has to be that large.

Visitor doesn't handle larger maps very well. It's possible but it's a pain in the ass and stuff starts to go wrong.

They'd do it if they could, I reckon.

Both islands setted together as in the image would be awesome, well maybe I'd rotate Stratus 180 degrees, so the plains that take off have more space. And to me it makes sense that the huge island has close a little "military" island for protection.

Like the little Cabrera close to Mallorca, in the Balearic islands ( in the wiki photo the military camp is the one opposite to the tier where there is a bar an a few houses ).

BTW an island based in one of the Balearic or Pityusic islands would be really nice for a future expansion.

This is interesting:

The poster is at ~ 34 mins and 47 seconds.

Look at the poster and it says that Chernarus is 180km2. I always thought it was 225km2. Is the 180km2 just the land mass then?

Here is a better picture:

cjsp.jpg

Edited by dale0404