Lenyoga

Operation SHOCK (Full Mod + Campaign)

That's impressive work, good to see mods still been developed for OFP :)

Wow, thank you all for the feedback!

And here we go with a little update. The lighting finally looks acceptable, and the very raw skeleton of one of the first areas is almost done:

ON0LBpXRxmg

A big bit of sound editing done today, and those text-to-speech programs aren't half as bad as they used to be. Next up is the rest of the first demo mission, which is already half done, a bit more sound editing and some coding (resources, config, equipment html).

Now that was a long day...

- finished weapon entries and pics for everything

- sound editing and lighting for the intro level

- new floor-mounted turret

- ricochet system (to be improved)

- different ammo types

- different models for guns and ammo on the ground

uP_MknVgNqQ

This is stunning, and I don't know what amazes me the most: effects, level design (that teleport to virtual reality!), hacking mini-game or GUI? Keep it up, You're becoming a legend!

BTW: in the fusion cannon video, You're Buldozer uses simple blue background, instead of green and sky. How You achieved that?

This is stunning, and I don't know what amazes me the most: effects, level design (that teleport to virtual reality!), hacking mini-game or GUI? Keep it up, You're becoming a legend!

BTW: in the fusion cannon video, You're Buldozer uses simple blue background, instead of green and sky. How You achieved that?

Thank you! And the background is simply an inverted, big blue box I set to "shining" - using that for screenshots, etc., because removing the green/sky part with Gimp takes too long.

I'm a fan of the System Shock series, preferring the first one to the 2nd, both being equally masterpieces from the legendary LGS. Not to talk about Thief, belongs in my top 10 games any day. The company truly was something great.

What can be seen in the previous videos, especially in the latest one, you have made excellent progress with your project, and it looks really good! I especially love the sound environment atmosphere, please continue the style you have when you create the levels!

It's fascinating to await and see how well you can transfer it to the Real Virtuality. Count me in as the very interested! Now, just to have as fluid mouse & character movement as in Dark Engine...

Edited by batis4
embarrassing typo

I'm a fan of the System Shock series, preferring the first one to the 2nd, both being equally masterpieces from the legendary TTLG. Not to talk about Thief, belongs in my top 10 games any day. The company truly was something great.

What can be seen in the previous videos, especially in the latest one, you have made excellent progress with your project, and it looks really good! I especially love the sound environment atmosphere, please continue the style you have when you create the levels!

It's fascinating to await and see how well you can transfer it to the Real Virtuality. Count me in as the very interested! Now, just to have as fluid mouse & character movement as in Dark Engine...

Thanks, also a fan of the Looking Glass games. The sound work is in fact very much inspired by Eric Brosius' work on System Shock 2 and the Thief series (also the most fun thing for me to experiment around with, and the RV engine is nicely open in that regard). The movement and animation issues are a bit annoying, but can be managed. The aiming deadzone can be eliminated (minGunTurn, maxGunTurn) and with the right modified animations, I could probably reduce the interpolation speed between the static and movement animations, too, to make it feel less inert.

Thanks, also a fan of the Looking Glass games. The sound work is in fact very much inspired by Eric Brosius' work on System Shock 2 and the Thief series (also the most fun thing for me to experiment around with, and the RV engine is nicely open in that regard). The movement and animation issues are a bit annoying, but can be managed. The aiming deadzone can be eliminated (minGunTurn, maxGunTurn) and with the right modified animations, I could probably reduce the interpolation speed between the static and movement animations, too, to make it feel less inert.

Yes, you do that and I hope you succeed in it! OFP's movement solutions are maybe the first, maybe even the only things I would be concerned about; they are what prevents many mod ideas to be created. I have been very interested in a Thief-like mod since the beginning of the OFP modding scene, but that wouldn't work very well now would it?

Anyhow, keep on doing what you do.

Edited by batis4

Yes, you do that and I hope you succeed in it! OFP's movement solutions are maybe the first, maybe even the only things I would be concerned about; they are what prevents many mod ideas to be created. I have been very interested in a Thief-like mod since the beginning of the OFP modding scene, but that wouldn't work very well now wouldn't it?

Anyhow, keep on doing what you do.

I've already animated more horrible things, so a few cyborgs and movement tricks won't be too difficult (yet a bit maddening...) Years ago I've thought about doing Thief-like addons too, but that would be pretty bug-infested and hard to pull off... and an extremely high workload.

I've already animated more horrible things, so a few cyborgs and movement tricks won't be too difficult (yet a bit maddening...) Years ago I've thought about doing Thief-like addons too, but that would be pretty bug-infested and hard to pull off... and an extremely high workload.

Yeah. I would be most interested how well would the player movements be interpreted. Hopefully all goes well.

So, basic animation concerns are gone - setting the interpolation speed to about 15 makes it all feel way quicker. Now I've got to get the rtm files done... that's gonna take a bit longer.

I just solved (maybe not the perfect term) an issue I already forgot about - the health bar. I've been using the tank unitInfoType for the player character since the beginning now, but always noticed that the values that were displayed were never correct - sometimes, when I was killed, the bar was still half full. I just stumbled upon a thread that confirmed this, saying that a headshot with an M16 only caused the getDammage command to return a value of 0.5 - which means the soldier would have still been half functional. I then set the values for armorStructural and the differnet body parts to 1, and it displayed it correctly. I still don't know how the exact calculation for the armor and damage values looks like, though.

Now, the puzzling thing... the hits a unit can take to legs, arms, body and head are still not the same. I can shoot the player in the head twice and he dies, but he can take 4 shots to the legs (talking M16 here, again). I suspect that it could have something to do with the direct/indirect damage values of the bullet, too (as far as I got it, indirect damage isn't a fixed value either, but the parameter rather calculates the blast radius using other values, too.) Is it like with the tanks, too, that the hitpoints LOD also has some influence on it all? Does anybody have any further info? Would be interesting to decipher the system behind it. Back when I was still young and naive, I thought it's all fixed values ... haha ... ahahahahahhaa....

Hi, this may interest you : https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Damage

This is just what I needed, thanks a lot!

---------- Post added at 21:21 ---------- Previous post was at 19:32 ----------

Another small update; this time it's one of the enemy units, the cyborg assassin.

Features:

- fast movement speed

- medium high armor

- high damage

- more or less stealthy (if placed right, he goes with surprise attacks)

- practically deaf

- almost perfect vision

- attack script makes him very aggressive, no respect for personal space

Bugs:

- if alerted too early (that's why I made him deaf) he walks through walls and other obstacles

- "fire" command doesn't make him shoot straight, so I had to use a bypass script to correct the vector speed of the projectiles

- minor issues with the attack script (comes too close, walks into player) -- easily correctable

About the sound editing - I'm not sure about that one. Somehow couldn't get the style of the original Shock 2 assassin quite right. Not sure what exactly Brosius did to make that thing sound so weird, but I feel like hiding in his closet to ask him at night when he feels secure in his own house.

QOKEE-Wr-Ws

Too bad you're not making a port of Dark Forces II to OFP instead. :p

j/k, the mod looks great. Very interested to see how in-door environments and alien worlds will work in OFP.

Too bad you're not making a port of Dark Forces II to OFP instead. :p

j/k, the mod looks great. Very interested to see how in-door environments and alien worlds will work in OFP.

I actually tried a few Dark Forces things once... Darktroopers, concussion rifles, the lizard people. And in-door is hell; everybody does follow the pathway markers, but transitions from one room to the next can still be a pain.

I'm back from the dead and have a bit of time to work on this again. I've also thought of a few changes:

- The weapon skill makes things too complicated - instead of having separate pistols and assault rifles for all skill levels, I'm thinking of simply unlocking weapons with higher tiers, instead of 'leveling' them up. (maybe apply a dispersion script which gets less intense on higher skill levels.) So, level 0 would be the pistol only, level one a rifle or shotgun, level two the assault rifle, and level three the fusion cannon.

- Scripts for all the gun effects will be optimized using functions and better structure, otherwise frame drops have bad effects on the gameplay.

A little update, no? Pretty much all of the player weapons are done and finished, scripts too. Only the special abilities of the psi amp will be more or less mission-specific.

Rifle and pistol have three ammo types still, the shotgun has two (normal and explosive). The protocol droids could be a bit more aggressive, will still have to rework them. The demo level still needs 9 or 10 separate rooms and a bit of scripting and sound work, then I can release it. But I'm busy with university at the moment, so this could still take months.

HC53iroSqz0

I'm busy with university at the moment, so this could still take months.

I know what You mean - mine projects are also on hold due to studies :(

But don't let it put You down! Your mod already looks exceptional and revolutionary!

I'm still amazed what you can do with OpF! Great job!

Man, this is amazing. You've accomplished so much in so little time. I created a successful...what? Two whole units in the past year (admittedly, work hasn't helped this)? Man, this is what I call awesome! Keep up the great work!

Everyone, I have an announcement to make. Sadly, this mod is not going to be finished... no, just kidding. I've made a lot of progress lately, although I just had little time and lots of stress.

I reworked a lot of textures, finished the radiation system except for a few sounds, finished the keypads for the locked doors and started work on the security system. Also, it's beginning to look somewhat good already.