Lenyoga

Operation SHOCK (Full Mod + Campaign)

Everyone, I have an announcement to make. Sadly, this mod is not going to be finished... no, just kidding.

Bad joke, really! ;)

I reworked a lot of textures, finished the radiation system except for a few sounds, finished the keypads for the locked doors and started work on the security system.

Impressive, most impressive. :)

Bad joke, really! ;)

My sense of humor is and stays chaotic evil, after all...

And here it is, the next video with a bit of interesting content (cameras, ceiling turrets, security stations, hacking, ricochet effect, QBR device, keypads and radiation effect)

EdMw_mNqM6k

Next on the menu are a better interface, ground turrets (hackable), a special death script, the last two or three rooms for that map and yeah, Geiger counter sounds.

Shit, if not the action menu it'd look like a completely different game!

Shit, if not the action menu it'd look like a completely different game!

Ha, true - will have to edit that one too!

Looks like a game like GoldenEye or Pefect Dark could be re-created in the OFP engine... :p

I suggest you use some specular/diffuse on some textures to create a more "metallish" look. You could even use a customized DXDLL config, similar to the Conspiracies series of mods. Just a thought. :p

Looks like a game like GoldenEye or Pefect Dark could be re-created in the OFP engine... :p

I love Perfect Dark... not gonna lie, I had some ideas to recreate weapons from that game in OFP/CWA.

I suggest you use some specular/diffuse on some textures to create a more "metallish" look. You could even use a customized DXDLL config, similar to the Conspiracies series of mods. Just a thought. :p

Good thought - do you know anything (or any tutorials) for the specular/diffuse settings in the config? I thought about tweaking those too, but I think I'd have to get the models into ODOL format, right? About DXDLLs, I'm using the one by Kegetys, any idea on how to assemble a custom one (the only thing which is really necessary so far is just that night shader effect anyway, don't want all the colors to be black and white)?

I love Perfect Dark... not gonna lie, I had some ideas to recreate weapons from that game in OFP/CWA.

I wanted to make a mission/campaign in it's style with addons once, same with Bond. :p

Good thought - do you know anything (or any tutorials) for the specular/diffuse settings in the config? I thought about tweaking those too, but I think I'd have to get the models into ODOL format, right? About DXDLLs, I'm using the one by Kegetys, any idea on how to assemble a custom one (the only thing which is really necessary so far is just that night shader effect anyway, don't want all the colors to be black and white)?

No experience with these settings. However mods like FFUR and GRAA make heavy use of it. Maybe Sanctuary could share the know-how with you if he's around.

DXDLL is even less my territory (outside of tweaking the settings) but there's also a version of ENB compatible with OFP/CWA, I think the GTA:SA one. But I think to enable/write new effects in it you'd have to be an experienced programmer. :p

You got the "Night shader override" function in DXDLL btw. Try to use that to prevent the unwanted black and white effect.

Edited by noob1
Additional response

I think to enable/write new effects in it you'd have to be an experienced programmer. :p

That's what I thought, but the nighttime effect works with Kegetys' DXDLL, so there's probably no need to risk my sanity by going through hundreds of documentations and falling into despair. I'll dedicate some research to the material settings, though. I think I've once seen pretty cool results (was probably from a FFUR screenshot).

Here's the ENB in action:

Clicking on the vid will give you the links to the files. All it really does is a exaggerated bloom effect when pressing shift + F12. Things like motion-blur, HDR, reflections, DOF and so on don't work. I guess they could be enabled but like you assumed it could give you headaches. :p

Here's the ENB in action

That has a nice look to it... can it also remove the night pixelshader effect like the Kegetys one? Because that's the most essential thing for me; in order for the lighting to look correctly it has to be night in the game time.

That has a nice look to it... can it also remove the night pixelshader effect like the Kegetys one? Because that's the most essential thing for me; in order for the lighting to look correctly it has to be night in the game time.

Like I said, only the bloom effect works in it. Everything else would have to be enabled or (re)written. The night shader override option in dxdll should do the trick as far as I understand.

I'll dedicate some research to the material settings, though. I think I've once seen pretty cool results (was probably from a FFUR screenshot).

I'm using those material effects it in my Roman mod and now in my FPW mod. That's quite easy, even if it's a matter of try and miss. For example, in FPW, i'm using one material shining looking like metal and another one shining like gold :

//end of cfgvehicle------------------------------------------------------

class CfgTextureToMaterial
{
class fpw_goldShine
{
	textures[]=
	{
		"FPW1\tex\cuirasseB.pac",
		"FPW1\tex\cuirasseBL1.pac",
		"FPW1\tex\cuirasseBL2.pac",
		"FPW1\tex\cuirasseF.pac",
		"FPW1\tex\cuirasseFL1.pac",
		"FPW1\tex\cuirasseFL2.pac",
		"FPW1\tex\cuirasseS.pac",
		"FPW1\tex\cuirasseSL1.pac",
		"FPW1\tex\cuirasseSL2.pac",
		"FPW1\tex\cuirasseCh.pac",
		"FPW1\tex\cuirasseChFL2.pac",
		"FPW2\tex\jugulaire.paa"

};
	material=#fpw_goldShiny;
};

class fpw_metalShine
{
	textures[]=
	{
		"FPW1\tex\ge_helmC.paa",
		"FPW1\tex\ge_helmCL1.paa",
		"FPW1\tex\ge_helmCL2.paa"

};
	material=#fpw_metalShiny;
};

};

class CfgMaterials
{
class fpw_goldShiny
{
	ambient[]={.8,.8,.9,1};
	diffuse[]={1,1,1,1};
	forcedDiffuse[]={0,0,0,0};
	specular[]={0.720000,0.700000,0.80000,0};
	specularPower=50;
	emmisive[]={0,0,0,0};
};

class fpw_metalShiny
{
	ambient[]={.8,.8,.9,1};
	diffuse[]={1,1,1,1};
               specular[]={0.5,0.5,1.0,0.0};
	specularPower=50;
	emmisive[]={0,0,0,0};

};
};

As you see, i'm writing this at the end of the config vehicles where the soldiers are defined, and binarizing the models together with the config and the textures (the binarizing tool must find the textures and the config).

In the main config of the game you find :

class CfgTextureToMaterial
{

class CarGlass
	{
	textures[]={"data\jeep4x4_glass.paa","data\jeep_kab_sklo1.paa","data\jeep_kab_sklo2.paa","data\jepp4x4_glass.paa","data\jepp_kab_sklo1.paa","data\jepp_kab_sklo2.paa","data\scud_sklo.paa","data\scud_sklo2.paa","data\scud_sklo3.paa","data\scud_sklo4.paa"};
	material="#SpecularGlass";
	};

class AirborneGlass
	{
	textures[]={"data\jeep_kab_sklo1.paa","data\uh60_kab_sklo2.paa","data\uh30_cargo_pilotdoors.paa","data\uh60_cargo_dvereokno.paa","data\uh60_gunner_okna.paa","data\ah-1_kabina_predokno.paa","data\ah-1_kabina_zadokno.paa","data\ah-1_kabina_topokno.paa"};
	material="#SpecularGlass";
	};

class Metal
	{
	textures[]={"data\mutt_frontg.pac","data\mutt_kapotag.pac","data\mutt_sklog.pac","data\mutt_sideg.pac"};
	material="#Metal";
	};

class AirBorneMetal
	{
	textures[]={"data\ah-1_1_pokus.pac","data\ah-1_2_pokus.pac","data\ah-1_opak_pokus.pac","data\ah-1_kabina_predo.paa","data\ah-1_kabina_topokno.paa","data\ah-1_kabina_zadokno.paa","data\cobra_rotor_top.pac","data\cobra_rotor_top.pac","data\cobra2_kridlo_predni.pac","data\cobra2_kanon_front_b.pac","data\cobra2_kulas_front.paa","data\cobra2_kanon_side.pac","data\cobra2_vejfuk.paa","data\cobra3_cumak.pac","data\ah-1_bottom1.pac","data\ah-1_bottom2.pac"};
	material="#Metal";
	};

class RifleMetal
	{
	textures[]={"data\m16_pmp_1s.pac","data\m16_pmp_ph.pac","data\m16_pmp_lod.paa","data\m16_pmp_lod_gif.pac","data\m4_1.pac","data\m4_2.pac","data\m4_miridla.pac","data\xm177_1s.pac","data\xm177_ph.pac","data\xm177_details.pac"};
	material="#RifleMetal";
	};
};

class CfgMaterials
{

class Water
	{
	ambient[]={1,1,1,1};
	diffuse[]={1,1,1,1};
	specular[]={0.4,0.4,0.45,0};
	specularPower=6;
	emmisive[]={0,0,0,0};
	};

class Terrain
	{
	ambient[]={1,1,1,1};
	diffuse[]={1,1,1,1};
	specular[]={0.03,0.03,0.03,0};
	specularPower=3;
	emmisive[]={0,0,0,0};
	};

class SpecularGlass
	{
	ambient[]={1,1,1,1};
	diffuse[]={1,1,1,1};
	specular[]={0.8,0.8,0.8,0};
	specularPower=5;
	emmisive[]={0,0,0,0};
	};

class Metal
	{
	ambient[]={1,1,1,1};
	diffuse[]={1,1,1,1};
	specular[]={0.2,0.2,0.2,0};
	specularPower=5;
	emmisive[]={0,0,0,0};
	};

class RifleMetal
	{
	ambient[]={1,1,1,1};
	diffuse[]={1,1,1,1};
	specular[]={0.2,0.2,0.2,0};
	specularPower=5;
	emmisive[]={0,0,0,0};
	};
};

Edited by ProfTournesol

I'm using those material effects it in my Roman mod and now in my FPW mod. That's quite easy, even if it's a matter of try and miss. For example, in FPW, i'm using one material shining looking like metal and another one shining like gold :

This is extremely useful, thanks!

I just took a closer look at the Dark Engine, at System Shock 2's script files, to get a better idea about how the AI behaves. For the sake of simplicity, let's just say this ended in schizophrenia and diarrhoea, so I'm now simply going by what I know. There are different stages of alert with different sets of sound files playing for each NPC.

0 - idle state, standing or patrolling

1 - gets a glimpse of the player, just mumbles something

2 - notices potential danger, goes to investigate

3 - sees the player, attacks

So what I'm trying now is to do a similar system. "knowsAbout" is a good way to begin (already used that in the earlier version of the scripts), although the values vary due to the nighttime lighting situation (I'm only using artificial light based on fireplaces, I'm not sure if the AI really reacts to that as a parameter at all.) I'm thinking about a script which has those 4 stages, maybe with a script that plays the randomized sound sets running parallel, with a combination of player distance, the knowsAbout value and more specialized move scripts for the aggressive ones like the cyborg assassin (that thing is already a claustrophobic nightmare anyway.) I'm just seeing a few problems already, because I don't know any way of making a unit un-know another unit (edit: the drop in the know value comes naturally. It's just a matter of finding the optimal intervals for the different stages now.)

If anybody has suggestions or ideas, that would be cool. I'm taking some time with this anyway, don't want anything too buggy.

Edited by Lenyoga

Dear everyone,

I just updated the screenshots on page one, post #5 - I remembered my photobucket password, so that was cool. Also, I'm not happy with the above AI system, so I'm gonna keep it simple with "shoot the player and walk over if you can't shoot him." In addition to that, the whole UI system is now done, except for potential context-dependent resources and a bit of polishing. Upgrade stations work, research and audio logs work, no bugs encountered yet. By November I should have a bit more time on my hands and will probably be able to talk about a realistic release date for the demo mission, which will also be the first mission of the campaign.

I only just noticed this thread.Or rather what it was actually about.I loved System shock 2. :)

Having a look back,I see you've done quite a bit of really impressive work.The RV1 engine and it's

successors are adaptable.But some of the limitations can be very frustrating.

I'm glad to see you're still working at it.

Good news, everyone!

I'm not officially dead yet and stopped my phase of procrastination. A few things have been updated and the first mission is coming closer to a release. Lots of small changes still have to be made.

Px636QpZj2w

Finally, the sound is where and what I want it to be, some visual things have been improved and gameplay-wise, the first mission is done. All that's left are a few graphical details, intro/outro and a bit of a cleanup in the mod folder. Which will, of course, take me longer than expected, as always. No, I'm not going insane yet, the blankets are much too soft for that, I should get laundry done again soon.

I'm aware of the limitations you face.Especially with AI and indoor environments.

But regardless the work you've done so far looks fantastic. :)

Lots of small changes still have to be made.

Don't worry, and take all the time You'd need. This is mod that's worth waiting for!

Just 2 or three texture jobs, a bit of scripting and animation for intro/outro fun, then the first level should be ready to go. I've also started some work on the soundtrack for the intro. More or less subtle reference to Thief: The Dark Project included.

https://soundcloud.com/assimilateddiscord/intro2

Edit: after a latenight shift, everything involving the demo mission / first mission is done, except for the radiation hypo script. That and a general cleanup of the mod folder, then we're ready to go.

Edited by Lenyoga
Progress

Absolutely amazing!

Have you considered making a moddb page? I believe this mod deserves far more attention than it currently has and now with all the material and upcoming demo it would be more than perfect. :)

Have you considered making a moddb page? I believe this mod deserves far more attention than it currently has and now with all the material and upcoming demo it would be more than perfect. :)

That might be an idea! I haven't even thought of it yet. But I think I might wait until I'm a bit further into the whole thing, considering my pace the whole campaign might take a year or more.

Well, finally. After a week of sickness and then, worse, a week of work and overeating, I managed to pack it all up and release it! First post has been updated.

Downloading! I just hope I will not be lost because I have never played System Shock :)