Sign in to follow this  
Leaulux

ARMA 3 OPFOR Discussion Thread

Are you excited for what OPFOR Faction(s) we will be able to play as in ARMA 3? It sounds like BLUFOR and OPFOR will actually be equal terms this time around. (I felt like the Russian Technology in ARMA 2 was still obsolete compared to US/NATO Forces)

ARMA 3's storyline takes place in the mid-2030s during the fictional Operation Magnitude, a military operation launched by NATO forces fighting in Europe against "Eastern armies" led by a resurgent Iran.
ARMA 3 is set in the near-future, during the mid-2030s, where NATO forces deployed in the Greek islands of the Aegean Sea are trying to hold off a massive Iranian military offensive from the east.

Source

It seems that the world may be on the verge of a World War as the conflict isn't localized like it was in ARMA 2 in the small nation of Chernarus.

If Bohemia Interactive isn't working 24/7 on Bugs, it would be very cool if they released a steady stream of content that continued the story and they could continue to release Armed Forces DLC of both OPFOR and BLUFOR countries. (but I hope they would include ALMOST everything in the military of Country X)

At the release of ARMA 3 to six months in the future, we could see a handful of NATO Countries and Iran and then BI could "expand" the war. For example, we could see a new campaign in another hot spot. (North Korea Vs. South Korea, Pakistan Vs. India, etc)

It would also be very interesting (but unlikely) that we could choose to play as OPFOR in the Singleplayer Campaign.

ARMA 3 Alpha Pictures

image.jpg

arma3_2013_03_06_22_46_41_94.jpg

arma3_2013_03_06_22_22_37_05.jpg

arma3_2013_03_06_22_07_03_72.jpg

arma3_2013_03_06_22_08_16_33.jpg

arma3_2013_03_06_22_29_15_43.png

arma3_2013_03_06_22_40_56_72.png

PRE-ARMA 3 Alpha Pictures

images_1.jpg

pic16_16471.jpg

PICTURE LIMIT - REST IN SPOILER

***Fan-Made OPFOR Media***

Speculative Global Map In 2035 - By Antoineflemming

arma3worldblocs.jpg

Edited by Leaulux

I know I plan to work on and release Takistani Armed Forces and Russian Federation addons once we are able to crack into the PBOs and check out these configs. Given that at least some of the Iranian tech is Russian, it shouldn't be too difficult making Russians and Takistanis. I do hope however that BIS would include some Russian or Chinese OPFOR DLC. A US vs China Pacific DLC would be awesome.

A little devil from BIS said that this time the OPFOR will be more badass.... just hope that Blufor and OPFOR still got some unique own features aka surprises up in their sleves. You don't go into war without some trump cards/assets. ;)

We were outnumbered by OPFOR in OFP:CWC and Resistance, missions were toughter so I think it's good move by BIS, coming back to the roots :)

One of my curiosities regarding OPFor is their Special forces. The regulars already have advanced equipment (artistic design wise) so what could the SF be sporting? My guess is lighter traditional equipment enhanced my ergonomic gadgets similar to the US infantry design.

One of my curiosities regarding OPFor is their Special forces. The regulars already have advanced equipment (artistic design wise) so what could the SF be sporting? My guess is lighter traditional equipment enhanced my ergonomic gadgets similar to the US infantry design.

Jetpacks!

Opfor is bestfor.

The Uniforms represent a different philosophy from the western equipment, and they actually are, as far as technology is concerned, feasible in the timeframe. They have thermo-regulating undersuits for thermal camouflaging (that´s why they have the heatsink on the back.). The fully enclosed helmet represents the Idea of a standardized military force, where all equipment is mass produced without much freedom of modification to lower the training and cost requirements. Then you have different layers of gear over the top, apart from the rigs shown there we´ve also seen screenshots where Iranian soldiers wear OTV style bodyarmour with PALS webbing.

Over the top of the undersuit you have loose fatigues that close off at the elbows and have pads over the top, again to simplify them and reduce cost. The lack of camo patterning all over like in some russian camo smocks is also to reduce cost, I presume, and to improve abrasion resistance in the fabric by using heavy materials in heavy wear areas. Because you have a thermally regulating undersuit, you do not need different Battle Uniforms for different weather conditions, all you need is for the soldier to adjust his thermosuit to keep him as cool or as warm as he needs to be. The only thing you will need is different types of camouflage.

http://www.armaholic.com/datas/users/arma3_facebook_9_4.jpg <- Urban style Camo.

I think special forces will not be very different by base equipment, they´ll also have the thermosuits and maybe enhanced helmets with audio-enhancing sensors, sort of like the more expensive hearing protection sets you can get nowadays. They´ll have more advanced mission specific equipment, lighter bodyarmour, and possibly better weaponry, but visually will likely not be easily distinguished, but I´ll let myself be surprised if BI decides otherwise.

Then you have the Vehicles, which are sort of geared towards a COIN type of operation (with the M-ATVs and stuff, rather than the more cold war styled vehicles Blufor seems to have, Fenneks, Merkavas, etc.), which is what the Iranians seem to be doing at the time Arma 3 starts.

:I So.

Opfor is Bestfor, clearly.

Iranian SF will have "optical"/"adaptive" camo. They will be invisible. They will be protecting Namdar's military base on Limnos. Otherwise I'm not sure just how needed Iranian SF will be. And they need to be using experimental technology and gear. But, on the topic of Iranian military doctrine during this period. Why would NATO shift from a COIN mindset? I mean, the US is transitioning to using the M-ATV right now. There's no legitimate explanation for why NATO would shift to a more conventional mindset, especially for the middle east and mediterranean.

Edited by antoineflemming

Would be interesting to use them in game!

Go blufor!

Edited by OChristie

^this

+for adaptive camouflage - these would be nice addition but only on short range = grass draw distance.

What I really fail to understand is all the Israeli things. Tavors, Merkavas, and even Achzarit APCs. Seriously, the last is a vehicle designed to work in pretty much only COIN, why'd Iran be using it when they conquer the Mediteranian?

What I really fail to understand is all the Israeli things. Tavors, Merkavas, and even Achzarit APCs. Seriously, the last is a vehicle designed to work in pretty much only COIN, why'd Iran be using it when they conquer the Mediteranian?

They´re Namer IFVs, not Achzarits. The choice is mostly for the sake of Rule of Cool. Plus, Israeli equipment is about as mediterranean as it gets.

I am most definitely excited to see what they are doing with the OPFOR group. It will be something different, rather than the usual Russia as OPFOR and US as BLUFOR.

I really want to know how Iran was able to get that equipment to begin with.

Does this mean that every country west of Iran to Greece was possibly absorbed and merged into the New Persian Empire? Or perhaps a new "Axis of Evil" that has united to face NATO.

Possible resurrection of Persian Empire?

persian_empire.jpg

I can see this war being feasible if Europe and United States continued to rot away due to economic issues, but Israel has said it would use the "Samson Option" if it was on the brink of annihilation.

Edited by Leaulux

I really want to know how Iran was able to get that equipment to begin with.

Does this mean that every country west of Iran to Greece was possibly absorbed and merged into the New Persian Empire? Or perhaps a new "Axis of Evil" that has united to face NATO.

Possible resurrection of Persian Empire?

http://www.farsinet.com/persiansinbible/images/persian_empire.jpg

I can see this war being feasible if Europe and United States continued to rot away due to economic issues, but Israel has said it would use the "Samson Option" if it was on the brink of annihilation.

In the ArmA3 timeline, Iran experiences a revolution that overthrows the Islamic regime. Iran becomes secular, like Turkey. Chances are, Iran either 1) is initially on friendly terms with Israel and the West, getting technology from Israel before eventually striking out at Turkey, or 2) they make copy-cat Israeli technology. If BIS is going for the third possibility (that Iran conquers Israel) then I think they are being a bit unrealistic, as yes, Israel would potentially use nukes (what else could the Samson option be? Samson is the one who, after having his hair cut off and his eyes gauged out, brought down an entire building on top of his captors by physically pushing against two pillars. Symbolically, that's bringing down the entire house - gotta be nukes).

Yeah, Mi24V can be more useful than AH64D just because apache has more advanced targetting systems and optics that Mi24 lacks ... but everything gets normalized in the game because of TAB that the two helicopters have the same "value".

I don't care about models and colors (visual stuff) but i do more care about what the vehicle can do and what are the limitations.

Edited by On_Sabbatical

In the ArmA3 timeline, Iran experiences a revolution that overthrows the Islamic regime. Iran becomes secular, like Turkey. Chances are, Iran either 1) is initially on friendly terms with Israel and the West, getting technology from Israel before eventually striking out at Turkey, or 2) they make copy-cat Israeli technology. If BIS is going for the third possibility (that Iran conquers Israel) then I think they are being a bit unrealistic, as yes, Israel would potentially use nukes (what else could the Samson option be? Samson is the one who, after having his hair cut off and his eyes gauged out, brought down an entire building on top of his captors by physically pushing against two pillars. Symbolically, that's bringing down the entire house - gotta be nukes).

Not only have there been a revolution in Iran. China is supporting Iran with their massive economy while the economy in the western countries have gone fubar. NATO is weaker than ever as more and more nations leave the alliance while Russia and China(with Iran and possibly more allies) gets stronger.

According to this map " http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/418/arma3worldblocs.jpg "

Iran got many allies in the surrounding coutries and Israel is totally surrounded(but not occupied). Heck. Iran got even allies in south america.

Also judging in the far east, China influences everything except for South Korea and Japan(and Australia) which probably means that usa is kinda busy there.

Not only have there been a revolution in Iran. China is supporting Iran with their massive economy while the economy in the western countries have gone fubar. NATO is weaker than ever as more and more nations leave the alliance while Russia and China(with Iran and possibly more allies) gets stronger.

According to this map " http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/418/arma3worldblocs.jpg "

Iran got many allies in the surrounding coutries and Israel is totally surrounded(but not occupied). Heck. Iran got even allies in south america.

Also judging in the far east, China influences everything except for South Korea and Japan(and Australia) which probably means that usa is kinda busy there.

That world map is my map that I did to convey everything I said in the post you quoted. It's not official. BIS's official ArmA3 map only showed Europe, Turkey, and part of Iran. So I made that map to show what I think the rest of the world should look like.

Edited by antoineflemming

That world map is MY map that I did to convey everything I said in the post you quoted. It's not official. BIS's official ArmA3 map only showed Europe, Turkey, and part of Iran. So I made that map to show what I think the rest of the world should look like.

ahh ok, I understand.

sry ashamed.gif