Sign in to follow this  
daringd

New 15.36 x 15.36 island map WIP (since October '12)

Looking very nice, looks like you are hitting a fine balance between adding detail to the map itself, vs leaving further detailing up to the editor. Sometimes in some of the really ambitious maps I've played, there's more unmoveable map objects than needed for the editor, and of course in others there are not enough and the editor has to spend tons of time meticulously filling out the details. In this care, seems like a lot of that legwork is being saved... I like how you are infusing the map with personality and at the same time thinking about what editors/gamers want from a map, with things like the awesome bog area.

Keep it up, looking forward to giving it a go when it's ready!

This ia an open appeal for anyone who has the slightest interest in helping me populate the terrain: adding buildings, towns villages and such like. The project has been on the back burner for too long now while work and life commitments took over and I really want to get this moving and back on track.

I don't care about what experience you have if you are interested and can at least place objects in Visitor3, and have a modicum of imagination then we can do this!

I will of course give anyone that helps credit where it is due, so it will no longer be "my map", it will be only "my terrain" with the combined efforts of .....

Thanks to anyone in advance, I'm also fully open to suggestions or ideas of areas, so just post up or PM me if you have anything you think would be worth mentioning.

Daring

*UPDATE*

I now have a couple of people just start working with me on this project and I am still open for more. I have set up a closed Facebook group as a way to organise ourselves, post updates on what areas we are wroking in to avoid clashes, and quickly put up pictures of what we are doing, message each other and so on... If you want to help, you can request to join the group, once you have been accepted, you can see the other people who are working on the project, download the files you need and so on... It could be good practice for anyone not quite up for slogging it out building their own island, and get involved in something to put your name to.

I hope I get some interest, the FB group is here for anyone who wants to help out :)

Daring

*MORE UPDATE*

A few more screen shots of two new areas in the north east of the island. I have a few people who are currently looking at the possibility of helping me out now so with any luck things should start to move along faster and faster now.

So these are shots of the town/industrial area that combine into one location:

ArmA2OA-2013-11-15-02-07-53-80_zps0dd9a1a2.jpg

ArmA2OA-2013-11-15-02-16-41-50_zps5003b30c.jpg

ArmA2OA-2013-11-15-02-21-40-09_zps8d0a41a4.jpg

ArmA2OA-2013-11-15-02-25-11-47_zps5d2c7f87.jpg

one for Bushlurker

ArmA2OA-2013-11-15-02-19-43-70_zpsd3a7500f.jpg

ArmA2OA-2013-11-15-02-13-19-05_zpsbed6c33d.jpg

ArmA2OA-2013-11-15-02-31-24-85_zpse5579cc4.jpg

Continued...

And the new military base up on the hill in the north east:

ArmA2OA-2013-11-15-02-32-57-87_zps8c371e55.jpg

ArmA2OA-2013-11-15-02-33-26-53_zps4a9a5de2.jpg

ArmA2OA-2013-11-15-02-35-51-00_zps86b3f6a0.jpg

ArmA2OA-2013-11-15-02-34-22-19_zpsa26a0cd9.jpg

ArmA2OA-2013-11-15-02-39-56-62_zps480e5a27.jpg

hopefully more to follow next week....

This is looking amazing. I cannot wait to start my invasion of Bamberg :cool:

regards from Oberpfalz

Very nice indeed, great work, hope everything goes along well...:)

Looks interesting. Are you Going to put it on armaholic for download

Once it's all done, yes, although I'm doing it with DayZ in mind it would be criminal not to make it available for anyone else to use for whatever they see fit, if anyone has any suggestions as to what could be added/taken out to make it more compatible or fitting to other mods, then I'd really be happy to consider them.

At the moment I'm a bit worried about the balance of the whole thing, but then I think to myself, any effort to balance out a map automatically makes it unrealistic, since town planners don't sit and make sure there is a nice balance of loot points on the off chance there is a zombie outbreak or deathmatch... but some balance should be struck, that I am aware of, so I might clip the amount of military spawning areas and so on once the map is closer to completion, once again, help is always welcome....

D

As an update..... 13.12.13

I have come close to finishing some unique buildings, pictures WILL come soon, I've been very busy learning O2 and coming to terms with that.

Here is my to-do list for the next stage

1. complete the centre of town unique buildings for the old town hall/main area - (a large lump of this is ALMOST complete)

2. begin work on modelling a bit of a run down "West World" style theme park, including Pripyatesque ferris wheel, bumper cars, and a pier (will be on a coast somewhere) - (planned and basic modelling work begun)

3. continue trying to get help from anyone who is willing

4. not let my head explode with the scale of what is still left to do.

Here are a few shots of some of the models that are finished and some in progress, others are way too early to show off yet, but it's a nice taster

an ornate lamp for the main town area (used as proxies in the main town square model)

modelling_lampe_1_zps8631fec3.jpg

A walkway to help clean up the edge of the waterway in town, also, it's what is there in real life pretty much, I also have modelled 10degree and 30 degree turns inwards and outwards, plus up and down sections.

modelling_walkway_1_zps384fe526.jpg

The main square (in real life it is called Obstmarkt, you can look it up in google maps, it's in Bamberg)

modelling_obstmarkt_1_zps084e1cd7.jpg

and the 'about to receive textures enterable main section of the old town hall (it sits in the middle of a river connected only by a series of bridges, it's awesome, to look it up in Google Maps search "Altesrathaus, Bamberg"

modelling_rathaus_1_zps9ed951f0.jpg

D

This is a bit of a call to arms, well, not exactly....

I'm trying to get BIS to give us an idea on when they will give us some dev tools specifically for REFERENCE REMOVED, so that those of us who want to get a head start can begin testing in the new 'hybrid' engine to see how things perform and perfect our technique well before the community is ready for mods AND allow community created content to have the time to become polished before release.

I need other dev's and people with an interest to put forward their own thoughts, for or against, pro or con, that we can try to grab BIS's attention a little and let them know they have a community ready to begin working on content right now!

I realise that it could be a year or more before we can release this content, but that is time we can refine and sharpen our skills and get good at what we are doing.

you can find the post I made about it here, I'd really appreciate it if people put forward their thoughts on the thread, it's something that really matters to me!

D

Edited by daringd
stuff was against the rules so i removed it before the entire thread was closed down... it was nothing terrible!

This looks awesome!

FYI I don't think dev tools will be released anytime soon, from what I've heard DayZ standalone moddability is pretty far down the roadmap, but that discussion should be kept on the DayZ forums.

Just an update again.

I've been hard at work (real job) and hard at work on the map, doing things that people really would not notice, flattening out beaches, killing some of the stupidly steep hills, re doing the forests and bushes and redesignings the clutter to be a lot more FPS friendly, plus I have been fighting a battle over on the DayZ forums to try and get an editing community set up there... all in all, a busy few weeks, though there will be more pictures, more news and hopefully... the other thing I am working on will be complete too, which will be a video tutorial complete guide to terrain making, from installing BIS tools, to laying out you objects and binarizing it... I#m working through my own system right now and checking all my info works and is correct before I script and release the videos. it's a lot of work....

Just started early work on a quarry, I had to model the rock faes to avoid having that horrible stretched texture thing happening to the sides, and it's coming on quite well now I think, obviously this is taken in buldozer so its lacking clutter and a bit of quality, but I think you get the idea....

daringunnamedWIPqlow_zpsb9691c7e.jpg

So the quarry is almost complete lacking in a few buildings, roads and so on, but I created some new stackable porta-cabin style buildings and stair/walkway systems to add a bit of authenticity.

Just wildly looking at as many pictures of quarries now to get some more idea on what exactly usually appears in a quarry, any ideas?

D

QUARRY1_zps86ec55af.jpg

QUARRY2_zps61007420.jpg

Your doing an amazing job with this, can't wait to see the finished terrain. Good luck with the progress.:)