Photo
- - - - -

New 15.36 x 15.36 island map WIP (since October '12)

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic
daringd
daringd

Sergeant

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 19:35

Hello people,

So since October I've been banging away at an island map that I want to finish off at around the same time as the release of DayZ SA, but obviously make the map available to ARMA users, with a mind to also spending some time updating the map in the future for ARMA 3 aswell.

So far I've managed to all but finish off the terrain and sat map, and I'm now beginning to go town to town, adding in the buildings and trouble shooting terrain issues I find along the way, and updating the sat map and layers as I go, it's a constant process, and as I'm not as experienced as the likes of Icebreakr or Bushlurker it's taking me some time.

I'm popping some screen shots so far, some map views so you can get an idea of the size, road system and so on.

I'm looking for a few things along the way, suggestions, critics, help, models... etc. All and any of this will be greatly appreciated.

Is it based on anything?

Yes! The map is based loosely on Bamberg (map)in upper Frankonia in Germany, a small city famed for it's beer and basketball team. I took the liberty of turning it into an island, with the help of some coastline stolen from the mid north of the Cardigan Bay (wales) (map), an area just east of Braemar, Scotland (map), Sutton Park, Birmingham (UK) (map), and the rest was added to try and bring some elements to the map that would otherwise have been missing, such as smaller islands, isolated hills, flatland, forest, etc. The map has a working name of 'Bamgorsk' and I may or may not change that, but it's geographic location will potentially be in the Caspian sea, at about 43 degrees north, giving it longer days, and the island's industry would be based on the export of limestone, so I'm looking to add some quarries to try and tie everything up and give the island a believable feel.

Do I need any help?

Yes! In terms of models I'm looking to also recreate with a soviet edge, as best as the engine can handle, Bamberg's old town and identifying features such as the Altes Rathaus, Bambeger Dom, Altenburg and various other landmarks such as bridges and statues, and right now all of my energy is going into the production of the terrain so I would be very appreciative of any help in terms of model makers or suggestions!

Well, I really hope that this might get a few of you excited, raise questions or issues and if you have any questions or suggestions then PLEASE fire them at me, I'm more than willing to answer, or explain myself further.

on to the pictures!

A shadowed map of the elevation
Posted Image

a clear view of the road system so far
Posted Image

current state of sat map (the underwater texture WILL be cleaned up
Posted Image

Various views of the island and some of the newly placed towns
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

peas!

Daring

Edited by daringd, 13 February 2013 - 20:10.

Posted Image

fingolfin
fingolfin

Gunnery Sergeant

• Members
  • 413 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 19:55

Looks great. Especially the first picture!

ezcoo
ezcoo

Gunnery Sergeant

• Members
  • 509 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 19:58

Wow! This impressed me! Absolutely amazing job mate. The appearance is great and I really like the map every way – it has gradients in many ways, like populated areas vs. dense forests, it has also diverse and rich nature etc. Maps that have dense and rich nature and e.g. topography have been always the most interesting ones, and this is totally a map that fulfills those terms. I'm looking forward this, really! :)

jumpnjack
jumpnjack

Sergeant

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 19:59

Reminds me of the walking dead already, very nice!

daringd
daringd

Sergeant

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 20:05

Thanks for the comments, you may notice the pictures are going to be down for a little while, I just realised they break forum rules due to the size, I'm about to correct that! should be about 10 mins!

D
Posted Image

wa lancer
wa lancer

Corporal

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 20:50

Try and watch out for the green turning into a blue at the middle of your sat map.
Posted Image

Leaulux
Leaulux

Corporal

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 22:23

I love big islands. Try to release it before ARMA 3 comes out, bro!

daringd
daringd

Sergeant

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 22:39

@ WA - Thanks for the heads up, I've already started addressing the 'blue grass' on some of the smaller islands, it's really obvious when I've done a few tests with clutter because it shades it quite a funny teal colour, I'll deal with it as I'm adding in buildings and more detail, but good spot though, the trouble I face looking at this day in, day out, is I begin not to see obvious trouble areas and problems... the proverbial ticking clock that you can't hear anymore. I still keep finding terrible bumps and 'jaggies' in the terrain it's self too... it begins to feel like a never ending story.

@ Leaulux - I love them too! that's why i wanted to do something big, I could've had a smaller island finished by now, but it's life span in terms of playability would be too short, I like the feeling of having real space to explore, I'm also (as I go through the island populating the towns) going to add in a few easter eggs and in jokes too.

D
Posted Image

R0adki11
R0adki11

Major R0adki11

• 4907 posts
  • LocationGreat Britain

Posted 13 February 2013 - 22:44

Great looking progress, keep it up :)

Slatts
Slatts

Chief Warrant Officer

• Members
  • 3414 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 23:14

Looks fantastic! Best of luck with this :D
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Slatts_modding
PhotoBucket album: http://s296.beta.pho...ro-man/library/

Slatts & HydroPump - Brothers in ArmA since 2002

Help fuel the Monster fund! And in turn, help me create more free content!
https://www.paypal.c...d=VBKWN4UGDL676

wa lancer
wa lancer

Corporal

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 23:33

If I can make a recommendation. Have a look a my island Schwemlitz, specifically for the grass and wheat objects I used on it. If you are interested in using it in your fields or using it at all contact me or just use it. I don't care. I just recommend having a look, they add a whole lot to the useable concealment on the terrain around you.
Posted Image

sabre
sabre

Colours with Crayons.

• Members
  • 791 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 13 February 2013 - 23:43

This looks nice mate.

Good work.
Posted Image

smurf
smurf

Chief Warrant Officer

• Members
  • 3671 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 23:46

Really nice indeed.

kotov12345
kotov12345

Staff Sergeant

• Members
  • 364 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 23:59

I suggest you avoid big hills (maximum equal highest building in game is enough) as game not good with physics and narrow places,as ai not good with path finding and it might be cause of lag.
Obviously runways should be free of trees and hills.I also suggest island type of maps (ofp,arma) not like chernarus.

daringd
daringd

Sergeant

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 00:02

AH... I didn't realise this was yours, Good work on that by the way, I was looking through other people's custom maps a few days ago to get a bit of inspiration and see how people dealt with certain limitations. I'm going to download the extras you used and your grass and wheat, and I'll do a few tests and see how I can use it, I'm always really keen on using as much as I can and people allow me too, not only becaue it makes it easy for me, but I think it's good for the community and I'd be stoked if someone used some of the stuff I'd made in their map too. As ever, I usually play around with how things look and then contact the author of the model/texture/script/etc to ask if it's cool to use it with my terrain.

D
Posted Image

ltsthomas
ltsthomas

Master Gunnery Sergeant

• Members
  • 1122 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 00:11

Wow. Just wow.

chrisb
chrisb

Warrant Officer

• Members
  • 2057 posts
  • LocationU.K.

Posted 14 February 2013 - 00:26

Very nice, good luck with your project.

I will look forward to your release..:)

30ug0eh.jpg
--
Smart AI Info (Please note; this is not the KAI mod)
One thing BI said & wrote that rings very true, quote  "Arma 2 The Ultimate Military Simulator", they got that very right. There won't be another like it.

Spoiler

belgerot
belgerot

Sergeant Major

• Members
  • 1848 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:09

Stunning, impressive work so far!

Posted Image

invasion1944.info

-APS-Gnat
-APS-Gnat

Captain

• Members
  • 6401 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:06

Looks great
Posted Image

bushlurker
bushlurker

CWR² Developer

• Members
  • 2137 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 16:36

I've already started addressing the 'blue grass' on some of the smaller islands, it's really obvious when I've done a few tests with clutter because it shades it quite a funny teal colour,

The clutter "tinting" can totally work to your advantage once you get the hang of tweaking the sat layer shading... Try "Image > Adjustments > Curves" (if you use photoshop) either on the full RGB image or even just the Green channel - you should be able to ease the overall image away from that atmospheric-filtered "bluey-green" most raw sat images have, towards a more natural "yellowy-green"...

PS - picture #9 is my favourite! - I'm a big fan of back yards... :)

B

Edited by Bushlurker, 14 February 2013 - 17:11.

Posted Image