AZCoder

Gambit Royale FDF Edition

gr_logo.jpg

Gambit Royale FDF Edition is a complete remake of the original campaign released in March 2011 and contains twelve completely new missions, numerous cutscenes, and many other features. Play 1 mission as US Army, 6 missions as Delta Force, 3 as FDF, and 2 as spetsnaz. FDF Mod is used in 9 of the missions which take place in Chernarus, Podagorsk, Utes, Thirsk, and Quesh-Kibrul.

DOWNLOAD

Armaholic v2.50

GR FDF v2.50

CHANGE LOG VERSION 2.50 Director's Cut

All Zargabad/Takistan missions replaced by originally developed but never released Quesk-Kibrul versions

Added new intro mission featuring Ian Jones in Operation Desert Storm

Fixed bug with POW Jones in mission 01

Assigned FDF voices to all FDF identities

Added Rockhount lights FSM to night missions

Added alice civs that can drive silvie cars in a couple of the missions

Added new AI Reactive script to some missions (first used in HEB mission)

Replaced BIS First Aid with Celery Heal script

Added Vector Binoculars to inventory

Created "Info Log" for advanced hints to be saved with Map Notes

Added new Get Weather radio check

Added unlimited saves to each mission

Changed all mission list images to real photos

Fixed minor bug in load weapons crate script

Additional dialog recorded for several characters

CHANGE LOG VERSION 2.01

*** General Changes ***

Tweaked scoring in all missions.

Added many more weapons in the briefing.

Added new ACR weapons to ammo crates for players running the DLC.

Increased number of weapons and ammo for those who store extras in vehicles.

Vehicles in certain missions have empty cargo for player convenience.

Improved automated load weapons crate script.

Created an NVG Adjustment script with option to disable if player wishes.

Increased the challenge of most missions.

*** Mission Specific Changes ***

M01 - added dialog for helo exfil, player can repeatedly update exfil pickup point

M02 - added graphic to AAN intro so it's clear when the video is not yet queued

M06 - fixed problem with battle starting before player ready

M07 - changed mission time to dusk, added terminating car alarms with flashing lights

M08 - fixed major bug where EAST was friends with WEST, extended C130 sequence, added jump lights and buzzer, added more patrols, more objects, added markers when side objectives found

M09 - missing on-screen text when HQ talks for final objective (thanks tom3kb for spotting)

- text for final objective was outdated (i.e. wrong) in stringtable

M10 - sync'd start of battle with player

M11 - expanded the possible mission outcomes

- added new voice overs

- redid the final scoring

- removed ammo crates from start, still available later on

- removed ambient animals because of unexpected cow & goat sounds during outro

S08 - slightly modified end movie based on outcome of final mission

Special thanks to nettrucker, Inlesco, Brainbug, and tom3kb for feedback and suggestions.

DIRECTOR'S CUT

When building this campaign in the Spring of 2012, I had originally used Quesh-Kibrul for the last four missions. For some technical reasons, I replaced the QK missions with Takistan versions prior to release of 2.00 last Summer. After building Hoc Est Bellum and working on Dark Tides, I had planned to release version 2.02 of the campaign, but I wanted to give players something more than just a basic update: I added a bonus mission to the start of the campaign, and reverted back to Quesh-Kibrul with all technical problems resolved. As with films that release a version on DVD of what the director really wanted, version 2.50 of Gambit Royale is the Director's Cut.

BACKGROUND

Gambit Royale FDF Edition is a campaign with a mix of Delta Force special ops, Finnish RDF, and Russian spetsnaz missions revolving around the efforts to track down a terrorist known as Denmark. A ChDKZ loyalist for several years, Denmark is also a GRU trained spetsnaz operative that conducts unofficial missions for his employers. Allied with rogue Russian general Leonid Zheldak, he sets various plans into motion to become wealthy through nuclear blackmail. Delta Force and the FDF must race against time to stop Denmark from unleashing nuclear terror that could provoke two mighty nations into nuclear oblivion.

KEY FEATURES

- special intros for most missions to notify the player of which character will be played (Ian, Niko, or Denmark)

- intro typing effect

- optional ammo crates available in all missions except 1 and 7

- customized GPS display based on which team you are playing

- voice acting in English, Russian, and Finnish

- AC-130 by LurchiDerLurch used in one mission

- UPSMON by Monsada used in several missions

- numerous cutscenes

- occasional hints about the upcoming sequel campaign

REQUIRED ADDONS

A2 Black Ops and Mercs

Thirsk

Quesh-Kibrul

FDF Mod

OPTIONAL ADDONS

Christian.1987 Cigarette Addon OA (highly recommended)

June 2012 version of R3F Armes

RH HK416 pack

RH MGS Pack

AK pack

RH Pistol Pack

Players who use the Cigarette addon will see Denmark blowing "smoke" thanks to tpw's Foggy Breath Script. Otherwise you will get Denmark with eyewear and no smoke.

RANDOM RELEASE NOTES

- ACE2 is not supported because ACE_SYS_COMBATDEAF persistently fades sound to full volume which interferes with most of my scenes. There are ways to disable it, but due to initialization and timing, you often end up with sound fading up and down in the first few seconds of a scene. If you use ACE, just be aware that sound volumes will be louder than they should be in many places.

PROMO VIDEO

SOME SCREENSHOTS (from version 2.00)

promo1.jpg

promo2.jpg

promo3.jpg

promo4.jpg

promo5.jpg

Edited by AZCoder
Patch v2.50 Released

Great, new version of one of my favorites campaigns, thanks AZCoder. Cool that you use FDF mod, one of the best.

PS: I remember that you say few months back that you working on campaign with units from CSLA mod, is this still actual, or maybe you abandoned that campaign.

Edited by tom3kb

The CSLA campaign will be the sequel. Parts of it have been done, most of it still to do :)

tom3kb volunteers himself to help you out with your CSLA campaign.

Thanks Tom! Your a good guy! :p

Downloading now!!!!

Yeah thanks for all your work and effort you put into this new version. I'm really excited. All required addons are top notch. Thirsk and Podagorsk are beautiful maps. FDF team produces high quality stuff since OFP and Schnapsdrossel's units are looking bad ass. So what's not to like?

Just finished the download.

Thanks for sharing some intense fun.:yay:

greetings:bounce3:

@Kommiekat

I have now very long holidays from editing (almost year :D). Few months ago I started doing mission pack for CSLA and abandoned this work. Few days ago i started making mission pack for ACR DlC and also gave up :). Recently we have to many releases of great campaigns and missions, I do not have the time or desire to even consider editing ;). I just want to play. :D

@Down/Kommiekat

I know ;)

Edited by tom3kb

^^^

Just teasing you there Tom.

AZCoder,

Damn! Damn fine CAMP you have going here.

Expertly done in all aspects.

Think I'll take my sweet time on this one.

Thx for your efforts!

Hi AZCoder

I couldn't resist and I had to give some feedback. Gambit Royale is most probably one of the best campaigns I've ever played in ArmA II. Not withstanding that the plot is the same but it is also different to the first

version. The maps are different and the plot has been further improved and developed. Really outstanding the introduction of the campaign with all the nice overlays. Lot's of eye candy. Cinematics are brilliuant too and

the voice acting is the icing on the cake. I've played the first 3 missions now and they got me hooked. I'm truly impressed so far.

An absolute must for everyone who likes to play campaigns. This is a masterpiece and a

jewel. Thanks for that

Please don't read the spoiler tags in case you haven't played the first 3 missions yet.

Feedback Royal Gambit vers 0.2

ArmA CO vers. 162

playing set up

low end Dualcore @ 2.5Ghz with GTX 9800

Difficulty Veteran

Mission 1 - Conspiracy:

i

ntro: The introduction to the campaign is really awesome. Great story telling and great camera scenes. Voice

acting is just so cool. Love it. :inlove:

The approach on Devils castle is very delicate. Max caution is to be applied when closing on target area. I had to revert a couple of times because we got shot up really badly. I hate loosing men during operations when I'm

in command. LOL. So I reverted twice and micro managed the AI, moving them slowly into position without any shots being fired. Then we came to the point where confrontation and combat was unavoidable. we penetrated slowly the target area and took out the enemy one by one including 1 BMP. My AI team did a good job covering the perimeter we've set up, neutralizing a lot of threads. We rescued Ian and moved out from the area of operation. Moved the squad back to the insertion point for safe extraction. No casualties taken. I've to admit I cheated on that by reverting twice, but as I said I hate loosing men.

Mission time: 1h 31 min.

Outro is well made, really awesome.

observations: After a while the name tags of my team disappeared I don't know if this is to be considered a bug or not . . . nothing really big. I noticed that after a couple of user save games.

Everything is working perfect in this mission. I love the atmosphere this mission has.

Mission 2 - Interception

Intro: I noticed the AAN overlay kicking in a bit later on, but that might be on purpose. The screen overlay with the video was fantastic. Very well done.

Went from the LZ with my team into attacking position. Radioed in Team Alpha and then we attacked the railway station. After having neutralized the enemy we found the truck with the warhead. Nice effect with the Geiger counter BTW. From there we moved with the truck to our final destination. We arrived at the place where the BRDM was parked, killed all enemy units and took the BRDM to provide some more fire power for our small convoy.

From there we moved ahead until we reached the fuel station. We took out the enemy APC and proceeded to final destination wiping out every enemy we encountered on route. AI did a good driving job, set to safe, followed me all along the coastal road without too much troubles. Warhead delivered, casualties taken none. Without reverting this time.

mission time: 1h 21 min.

Mission 3 - Retribution

This was a really good stealth mission. When we reached the enemy base. I left my team mates outside the base perimeter, to reduce the probability of being spotted and then I went to search for the briefcase. when I found the location I took out the guards with my silenced pistol, which was kind of tricky due to the reduced power of the pistols in general introduced in patch 1.62. Should have used team switch and penetrated the base with the silenced weapon equipped AI, but I did not. After running out of ammo of my silenced pistol I was forced to use my AK and there goes my stealth approach. The Hind, who was showing up shortly after, was kind of a pain and kept me on my toes. The first escape attempt was a complete disaster. I got spotted by the hind and he put some heavy fire on me. I was trying to get rid of him and trying to reach my team to exfill. when I reached my team I got shot by the hind who was tracking me constantly. Foolish me that I haven't equipped any AI with a Strela launcher. My bad.

During the rescue attempt (my team mates trying to heal me) my team got shot up badly until I got killed by the hind. OK revert from last save point.

New attempt to escape the base. This time I paid a lot of attention of not being spotted by the chopper. Moving carefully and hiding whenever I could. I made it to the rally point and joined my team and then I got the "Hell out of Dodge".

Great mission. If you get spotted by the hind you are screwed. Stealth approach is absolutely a must to accomplish this mission. Reached extraction point with no casualties taken after being killed 1 time.

Mission time: 37 min.

In general:

what I've noticed is that only a few markers are really linked in the briefing, but this is definitely just a small thing compared to the overall work. For the rest everything works perfectly no show stoppers encountered.

will give some more feedback once I progress.

Thanks for this outstanding campaign.

cheers:D

Edited by nettrucker

Thanks for the enthusiastic comments, they are appreciated :)

nettrucker mentioned that the name display feature sometimes stops working. That happens whenever you reload a mission. The best way to avoid the problem is not to die ;)

Thanks for the enthusiastic comments, they are appreciated :)

nettrucker mentioned that the name display feature sometimes stops working. That happens whenever you reload a mission. The best way to avoid the problem is not to die ;)

yeah I gonna bear that in mind next time I gonna get shot at. :681:LOL!

I'm currently on mission 5 - Sleet. Everything works perfect. This campaign is really awesome. every detail has been taken care of.

It really gives me the thrills like back in OFP when everything was still new. The plot is really laid out very well and it's just addicting to play this campaign. Not to mention the awesome cut scenes and the voice acting. IMHO this campaign is of very high standards might be even better than certain BIS campaigns.

Just amazing.:notworthy:

Im on 2nd mission now but i must say its great campaign, very good mission with cool stuff (colored teammates names wenn you target them with mouse) etc. You added also few great looking things in cutscenes (in 2nd mission ANN news with "movie in movie" with CSLA units, i see something like this first time in usermade campaign-awsome). Cant wait to play more tonight. Great work :D

Excellent campaign. I admire your efforts. A campaign without proper cutscenes is simply a bunch of missions (deceitful advertising, you know). I've managed to playthrough all 13 missions and it was really impressive. I don't know why, but at first I expected longer cutscenes. Also, I was looking forward to better explanation of the way all characters behave. In particular, their motives, methods, attitude on various things (this type of details does not require a voice-over I think). This is acceptable if you reasonably left some aspects unexplained for a sequel which will follow later on. Nevertheless, this is a fine work everyone should take as an example. :)

Suggestions & feedback (story spoilers):

Mission 1... Helicopter extraction: IMO, it'd better to implement a system which lets you change pre-set chopper's course to EZ.

Gratitude... Here's how I escaped Thirsk: I rushed to SUV, got in and simply drove away from the town by the roads. Several FDF troops intercepted me but quite strong SUV armor compensated everything and I escaped without a scratch. However, for some reason signalizing of SUV didn't turn off on entire trip Russian border. Perhaps it's a bug? Besides, this mission gives a good thrill when you're alone. Suggestions: 1) change time into night-time and modify the intro accordingly. I think this adjustment is a key to a more immersed mission. 2) Include a script which lets dogs attack humans (Denmark would be their primary target, ofc ;)).

Turblence... The only thing I didn't like is the way 'Secure Plasma' objective is presented. I mean, newly spawning enemies in designated locations when I secure the base is breaks realism apart. IMO - you should make 1 obj instead of 2. Or only 1 - 'Occupy and hold Feruz Abad'. Everything else was fine!

Gambit Royale... When I drove the warhead out of Zargabad, the clock was counting 6+ minutes left. In that time, you can try requesting an evacuation helicopter to take you away from the bomb.

2 endings? 1: Ian is alive - he manages to escape the nuclear explosion by successfully heading back to Zargabad. 2) Ian dies the way he did in this v1.0. Sure increasing flexibility of the storyline takes time, but IMO, it's a right thing to do. 2 different cutscenes would be needed.

As I probably mentioned, more details on characters is always welcome: information about their past, shocking moments in the lifetime, etc. I think these little details are worth consideration.

Good luck expanding & improving this magnificent work, AZCoder! :)

@Inlesco - Thanks for the feedback. I will put my responses in spoiler, and please nobody read this if you haven't finished the campaign:

Mission 1 - I agree, good idea

Gratitude - the alarms/barking implemented are fairly simplistic, so unfortunately they never shut off, but I can see it would be a good idea, and night time? Maybe, I was probably tired of using NVG's in so many missions :)

Turbulence - this was a very difficult mission to implement, the enemy is actually "disabled" from the start and re-enabled after the first objective. I did this because FDF tanks, soldiers, and Marines would decide on their own to go and kill most of the enemy, leaving the player little to do. The Takistani are literally inside the buildings from the start, then I shut off simulation and made them invisible so that friendly AI would ignore them. This seems fairly realistic to me, because they are simply hiding out until it's time to strike back at the invaders. I hope that clarifies my intentions on that.

Last mission - There is no helicopter rescue because of the expected EMP from the nuke, so HQ orders all flights to ground. I could have Ian radio HQ and have this explained, though. At any rate the original plan was to have 2 different cutscenes as you mentioned, LOL! I axed that ultimately because I want continuity with the next campaign Dark Tides, and also wanted to portray the selfless sacrifice of elite warriors. Always caught between give and take on plot decisions :) I might change my mind on this later, who knows. Thanks for you ideas, it helps a lot to see how others view it, especially when it's all in my head, and I'm not sure if I conveyed enough or not.

One other thing on the last mission, Denmark is at the final firefight, but he tries to escape by vehicle. He can be stopped if your approach is right and you have enough firepower. Just letting you know.

Also, Inlesco, if you have any lingering questions about the plot, I would welcome any PM's to me if you feel up to it. Some of it will be explained in Dark Tides, but I would like to make sure the important parts are covered in this one.

Best user made campaign for ArmA II I've played so far since release. Superb quality, on par with the official campaigns even better then some. This a is must play for everyone who likes single player campaigns.

Mission 4 - Regret

Not really much to report here awesome cut scenes.

Mission 5 - Sleet

Also this mission went perfectly. The robbery at the fuel station was a cool idea.

Mission 6 - Frostbite

in this mission I was obviously too slow . . . when I arrived at the town the party was all over, nothing left to fight. Meanwhile I was setting the load out for my team at the ammo crate. The fighting already started between the FDF forces and enemy forces. They were already engaged in fighting before I reached my attack position. Most probably the attack position of the FDF forces are too close to the enemy position and once the fighting starts there's no way to stop. Casualties taken none due to the fact that we didn't get into the fight. My bad was too slow equipping my team.

I believe that something went a bit square in this mission needs a replay

Mission time: 11 min

Mission 7 - Gratitude

Loved that mission. At mission start I immediately went for the next car nearby (it was not the SUV), hearing the sirens of nearing police cars, I decided get some distance and get disappeared.

I got shot various times during my escape ride with the car. So I decided to abandon the car when I was somewhat close to my destination and went on foot. Had to cross one last road where 2 tanks were patrolling, in order to reach safety. So I waited some time to figure out if I could understand if there was some kind of patrol pattern. I slowly sneaked past the patrolling tanks without them noticing me and reached safety.

I did not take the boat to avoid certain death by boredome. LOL.

Mission 8 - Infiltrator

Wow back to Takistan.

Captured myself two enemy jeeps equipped with machine guns. At the first ammo cache I encountered, I loaded some ammo and weapons onto the jeeps and then I went to all marked objectives taking out 1 AA gun after another. During the operation a Shilka appeared which got promptly taken out by an RPG from my team.

Suggestion:

This mission was a little bit to easy in my opinion since none of the AA positions were guarded it was not really challenging. put some guards around the AA positions and this mission is good as the others.

All AA guns destroyed casualties taken none.

satcheled also a grad position I found.

Mission time 3 h 2 min. can be done in less but I lost some time to get my jeeps loaded with all the necessary goodies.

Mission 9 - Turbulence

Another well made mission. Enjoyed the attack on the base at Feruz Abad. Once the base was cleared we proceeded

to secure the 2nd objective and then set up defensive position awaiting the enemies counterattack which promptly started as soon as the 2nd objective was accomplished.

counter attack defeated - Casualties 3 KIA on my team

Mission Time: 30 min.

Mission 10 - Maelstrom

Awesome mission. Everything worked perfectly. Extremely cool the video overlay at mission end.

All objectives accomplished casualties taken none.

Mission Time: 26 min.

Mission 11 - Gambit Royale

Sad ending but awesome the mission idea. Very well done. Managed to get the bomb out before being blown to oblivion.

Mission time: 1h 6 min. casualties suffered 3 KIA.

thanks for this jewel. :D

@nettrucker, I have a couple comments on that:

mission 6 - the same thing happened to me once, and in retrospect I should have fixed it. I'll get it in a patch.

mission 8 - there are random patrols, but if you miss them then yeah it's kind of easy, plus I found a bit of a problem that the Takis don't seem to ID you very well since they don't have NVG's, I will definitely revisit this in the future.

Well you and Inlesco have given me some things to think about. Now only if I could get another Finnish voice actor....

Send you a PM concerning the Finnish voice actor. Couldn't do more for the time being.

I second nettruckers comment on Frostbite, I was still a few meters east of the road and just about to make contact when the scripted end sequence set it and ended the mission. I also spend quite a while rummaging around in the ammo crate, but I expected the FDF teams to wait for my signal. I suspect some triggers to be set wrong; didn't inspect the mission in the editor though, but from the lines at the end (get out blabla) it must have been intended differently.

It is fixed in the upcoming patch. The support team started too close to the enemy, and after a time the enemy patrols would find the support team causing combat to begin, after which the hold waypoint doesn't really seem to matter. There are a few other changes in the patch, I am still working on the last change and then I will release it.

Just finished this campaign, great work AZCoder: nice cutscens and good music. Very good missions, maybe sometimes to short :). Great story.

1 bug? In mission Turbulence before task Reinforce Usmc position there is no text massage wenn we hear radio massage.

1 suggestion for Infiltrator-add small patrols 3-4 men to all AA sites, becose now AA batterys dont have any protection only gunner in AAgun

Yes indeed, great campaign, I'd give it an oscar if it were a movie ;)

If you still want to tweak a few things, I'd suggest to empty the vehicles you give to the player. It is quite annoying to empty out all the useless handgrenades (read nettrucker's signature quote^^), wrong magazines, Mk16 etc. so that you can put other stuff in it instead of throwing it behind the vehicle on the ground because it is full already *sigh*. And also I suggest to put all of the weapons (including the optional ones from RDF, RH etc.) in the briefing screen "ammo stash" (enough of each to equip every team member with the same one if the player likes to), so that people can take all the time they want to choose their favorite loadout and still don't lose time in the mission. At the moment there is not enough cool stuff in it (somehow I hate the BIS SCARs), and the RK 95 SD has no ammo (the RK mags don't work, RK SD mags are missing).

And yes, Infiltrator is too easy, you can just drive around unarmed and put a satchel under the igla guys, no danger at all. At least some defense would be suitable.

In Turbulence, the mission didn't end, I cleared out all enemies in and around the tower compound and also went up the tower, but I had to give up eventually and type ENDMISSION. Or do I have to clear the whole town? Maybe you could check the trigger again.

@tom3kb - thanks for spotting the missing text for the radio message. What happened is that I was using kbTell which displays it on the screen automatically, but I switched to playSound because I can't hear what anyone says over the radio with kbTell in any mission, including those from BIS. I just now added sideChat for those lines.

@All - Infiltrator was fixed the other day. The main problem is that I had set East friendly to West, when I meant to set them friendly to CIV. Thus they don't shoot at you. Horrible bug I know. There were several additions to that mission as well.

@Brainbug - I cannot include RH weapons in the briefing because there is no mechanism to verify optional addons in Description.ext, and I don't want to make it required to play. In fact, that is the only reason I put crates into the missions.

I *will* look into missing ammo and get back to you on that. I put a limited number of rifles because I felt it was better to diversify, but the more I think of it, might as well let the player choose to diversify or not, so I will make sure to put 5 of each type in there. I will also see what other weapons can be added to Description.ext (aka the briefing).

On Turbulence, I think you are referring to Clear the Plaza? There are only 3 buildings in the plaza to clear, however there is a building in the courtyard west of it, it's possible a Taki was hiding in there (I assume you cleared the 3 obvious buildings :D). I am shrinking the trigger to not overlap the next courtyard, going from ellipse to rectangle. This is not the final objective, btw.

Also, as far as equipping from crates at the start of a mission, I think the main issue was with mission 6 and that was fixed as I noted previously. You can spend hours picking out gear now. There is only one mission where the action intentionally starts right away (the final mission), and it was not like that originally. After playing the first objective 50 times (seriously), it seemed better to let the main force go ahead first while the player "gears up". However, I am going to remove the ammo crates at the start, because for the 2nd half of the mission there are more crates, and you don't really need them for the first objective.

Thanks all for your input. The patch will be released "in days".

2 more things:

In mission Sleet in briefing before you start mission you see 4 red markers Site1-4, wenn you start mission there are hidden and you have to go to gas station for info where you should go(4 sites show on map).

I dont know if you use setmarkersize [0,0] or something like this to hide markers but you should add it to init.sqf/or sqs to hide markers even in briefing before mission.

---------- Post added at 06:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:42 AM ----------

In Turbulance when we have last task Reinforce Usmc Position there is no task position on map (no yellow circle where we should go). First i wanted to go to south part of city where is one of Usmc (attack direction) markers on map but i choose to go south-west to crossroad and there after few shots task was completed and mission ended. Its not a bug but maybe you should add more info where to go.