Sign in to follow this  
yarxie

Will ARMA3 feature realistic tank armor?

ACE does this to some extend but they are limited by the engine.

Limited by the engine, yes... but also limited by not available A2/OA MLODs to change some things...

The IF Model might be better than the ACE Approach but we cant know that for sure until we really try it. As you can see HitPart is currently malfunctional in MP

The IF tank damage system is just a scripted solution too. But as there were no ERA system, laser guided missiles, etc, etc, available in WW2 I guess it is a little bit simpler than what q1184 made for ACE.

The game simply needs an improved engine vehicle damage system and not scripted solutions. And not only for tanks but for other vehicles too.

Concerning hitPart... I guess you are referring to this one: https://dev-heaven.net/issues/27837

It was introduced about 4 months ago and did never work in MP and still doesn't... So nobody ever used it or uses it currently.

Xeno

I totally agree, I absolutely hate when 1 RPG fucks up my Abrams tank too.

The armor on the Abrams is almost impervious to RPG's. During the invasion of Iraq in 2003 an Abrams crew was hit by over 10 RPG's in various places and the tank itself was not destroyed and the crew survived.

That is before the "freedom fighters" for some reason get themself some higher grade RPG rounds.

We just need to vote it up as one of the most favoured additions to the game.

Limited by the engine, yes... but also limited by not available A2/OA MLODs to change some things...

The IF tank damage system is just a scripted solution too. But as there were no ERA system, laser guided missiles, etc, etc, available in WW2 I guess it is a little bit simpler than what q1184 made for ACE.

The game simply needs an improved engine vehicle damage system and not scripted solutions. And not only for tanks but for other vehicles too.

Concerning hitPart... I guess you are referring to this one: https://dev-heaven.net/issues/27837

It was introduced about 4 months ago and did never work in MP and still doesn't... So nobody ever used it or uses it currently.

Xeno

Well that´s what I meant^^

At game developers session 2011 Bohemia Interactive showed a nice physx video of some APC's getting holes punched through them until they catch fire and a tank getting some equipment blown off the back of the turret. I wanted to film it on my phone but we weren't allowed to.

At game developers session 2011 Bohemia Interactive showed a nice physx video of some APC's getting holes punched through them until they catch fire and a tank getting some equipment blown off the back of the turret. I wanted to film it on my phone but we weren't allowed to.

Could a BIS Dev confirm this please?

They showed a merkava tank crushing some cars also but I don't know if the tanks armor can be crushed because they only crashed the tank through some houses and over the cars, it would have been good to see what happens if they crashed the tank into another tank.

They showed a merkava tank crushing some cars also but I don't know if the tanks armor can be crushed because they only crashed the tank through some houses and over the cars, it would have been good to see what happens if they crashed the tank into another tank.

WTF?!?!?!

If this is real, i swear i will buy 2 copies of the game at least...

Incredible...

I'm assuming that if you weren't allowed to film on your phone, then you probably shouldn't be telling us at all? :p If it is true, it sounds amazing. :yay:

Can you imagine if BI was just pulled this out of thin air in e3 or the alpha - "Oh hey guys, we just decided to add in some component based damage into the game in our spare time. here is. no biggie" I would shit myself. But I won't believe it until I see it... can still hope though.

If this isn't real, there will be consequences for my heart palpitations ;)

Can you imagine if BI was just pulled this out of thin air in e3 or the alpha - "Oh hey guys, we just decided to add in some component based damage into the game in our spare time. here is. no biggie" I would shit myself. But I won't believe it until I see it... can still hope though.

I can't think of any reason why they will suddenly drop the physx stuff it would be a waste not to use it now because it looks good. I don't know how armor on tanks will look when damaged but car panels just crushed beneath the tanks tracks and it made like a loud crunching noise so they should keep it. When the tank drove through the houses it looked nice because there was lots of smoke and some big chunks of wall falling but the chunks do dissapear when the smoke dissapears but it still looks real nice.

Holy shit, Booster... That would be absolutely amazing... :don3:

If you're not trolling, I'm betting they're probably saving it for a BIG surprise at E3!!

WTF?!?!?!

If this is real, i swear i will buy 2 copies of the game at least...

Incredible...

^ THIS!

I'm betting they're probably saving it for a BIG surprise at E3!!

I thought they confirmed that they are using physx long ago so I didn't think this would be a surprise to anyone. They are using ragdoll too for injured and dead infantry and said physx takes into consideration stuff like weight and density and air resistance and gravity. they showed some infantry get shot when running and they fell down forwards in the direction they were running because of the momentum from running, its looks good I think people will like the ragdoll. you can make infantry limping if you shoot them in leg but i am going offtopic now.

I thought they confirmed that they are using physx long ago so I didn't think this would be a surprise to anyone. They are using ragdoll too for injured and dead infantry and said physx takes into consideration stuff like weight and density and air resistance and gravity. they showed some infantry get shot when running and they fell down forwards in the direction they were running because of the momentum from running, its looks good I think people will like the ragdoll. you can make infantry limping if you shoot them in leg but i am going offtopic now.

Well yeah, the usage of PhysX for ragdolls, vehicle physics and some other objects like crates in A3 was officially confirmed long ago, but as far as I'm aware there was no word about using it to simulate damage to vehicles. There was a clue in a video where a car was shown with a missing door though, and I was hoping we'd at least get something like this:

But now you talk about far more detailed destruction including crushing of cars... and my heart is racing! :D

I was hoping we'd at least get something like this:

I can tell you that it looks much better in arma 3 because the cars panels actually compress and crinkle when the tank track crushes them and the glass smashes in the windscreens and windows.

Well if IF can have car crushing and tank penetration without using PhysX then I'm sure it CAN be done. We just need to beg for it ...pretty please BIS ?

Well yeah, the usage of PhysX for ragdolls, vehicle physics and some other objects like crates in A3 was officially confirmed long ago, but as far as I'm aware there was no word about using it to simulate damage to vehicles. There was a clue in a video where a car was shown with a missing door though, and I was hoping we'd at least get something like this:

But now you talk about far more detailed destruction including crushing of cars... and my heart is racing! :D

Yep, here is a comparison.

As you can see the Q7 inspired pickup is in the same position.

BTW Booster , you better not be yanking our collective chains :cool:

BTW Booster , you better not be yanking our collective chains :cool:

I'm sacrificing some chicken to make it happen. And a duck or two.

Air resistance... hmm. W-i-n-d?

Not wind, but what he said was a explosion on land would have a different effect than a explosion in underwater environment.

Not wind, but what he said was a explosion on land would have a different effect than a explosion in underwater environment.

Should be, explosives are more powerful underwater.