Looking for Military/Strategy Books

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Master Sergeant

• Members
  • 604 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:26 #1

Hey all,

I'm searching for books as per the above (including books about the hardware rather than the tactics - i.e. tanks, and with a modern focus (i.e. cold-war to now and into the future)). For example, I have a fantastic book that breaks down some WW2 land battles (although not in the greatest of detail), with some pictures and a map or two. Anything like that would be good too.

I love a good diagram/image here and there, so no novels, please!

Any ideas?
- HateDread.
HateDread's Guide to the BIS Conversation System, including FSMs:

Part One.

Part Two.

Read the fine print.

Sergeant Major

• Members
  • 1698 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:49 #2

Hey mate...

There are always manuals. There are a few translated manuals of Russian armour and APC's.

There's always random PDF's on technicals you can find all over google (like weaponry technical briefs).

Hope this helps...

Darkhorse 1-6
Darkhorse 1-6

Chief Warrant Officer

• Members
  • 3100 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:33 #3

"The Battle For The Falklands" by Max Hastings and Simon Jenkins is a good one, as is most of Tom Clancy's non-fiction work.

Maybe it's that the OFP era community has retired and the CoD community era has begun? Demanding 12 year olds who must have something now

Oh, almighty w0lle, grant this pilgrim safe passage through the craggy mountain passes of modding, and let him not be crushed by a boulder. If he should need a helping hand, let him find help on the forum from gnat or some other person.

• Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:54 #4

I have a book called "Combat", it's from the 80's, early 90's, and most things are explained in it. From patrolling on foot, to sniper stalking to tank tactics.
It's not exactly what you're looking for, but can be quite handy.

CWR² Developer

• Members
  • 4449 posts

• LocationUnited States

Posted 29 March 2012 - 18:21 #5

These might be useful. They are not books though:
“[…] today's high tech wars don't seem to have as much potential for a good game as the conventional infantry / armour / aircraft war has. No other period offers such a huge selection of military equipment […]” -Marek Spanel, on the topic of the Cold War in video games

The Green Sea Expansion Project