Sign in to follow this  
poppidypoop

Arma 3 lighting

From the looks of the screenshots, the lighting in Arma 3 already looks good. I really think the new Arma is going to have some good graphics, but I think they should take into account the lighting in past video games and use it as an example. For example, STALKER Call Of Pripyat was phenomenal with the lighting, and looked almost photorealistic in some parts with a few mods installed. Lighting is one of the most important parts of video game graphics.

I will sleep better knowing ur thoughts on the lighting. stop spamming this forum. theres already a lighting thread.

There is? Sorry, I checked, but I couldn't find one. And if you don't care, this post is not for you. I thought maybe a dev would see it, I don't know if they read the posts, I'm new to the forums.

I did a quick search for threads about lighting and there are very specific threads about the number of lights, etc, and very broad topics about the ArmA 3 engine in general. I don't see anything wrong with a thread about lighting in general per se, I think that such a topic could have a little more meat to it than a suggestion to check out the Stalker series. But, once we again exhaust all conversation about deferred lighting, I'm not sure where we can go from there. I'll leave the thread open for a bit and see if anything interesting happens.

If anyone sees anything that looks like a rule violation, please just report it.

Edited by Max Power

Thank you :). Sorry, I'm new to the forums and don't quite know the rules. But still, this thread was more about lighting in past games (primarily stalker).

Thank you :). Sorry, I'm new to the forums and don't quite know the rules.

You should, since they are shown on registration

But still, this thread was more about lighting in past games (primarily stalker).

If that is the case this thread doesn't belong in A3 subsection anyways

Sorry didn't see it.

And it does belong in the A3 section, it is about lighting in past video games setting an example for the lighting system in A3.

The biggest lie in the world is

I have read and agree to the terms of usage.

Seems to be the case here.

Read the rules!

Deferred lighting FTW.

Still hoping for this, but it doesn't seem to be used in the latest screenshots that show the "new lighting". Considering the effort required to switch to deferred lighting, the chances appear to be slim.

Rules are for children and idiots. Laws however...well that's different ;)

@OP: Welcome to the forums! Don't worry, despite first impressions it isn't usually this anally retentive around here; in fact most days you will actually find plenty of people willing to discuss game-related stuff like your post.

I completely agree that lighting is essential to the game experience - you only have to look at how much $$$ Hollywood spends on lighting movies to understand its effect on mood and immersion. One of the big 'concerns' about A3 has always been that, due to the scale of the game, the lighting engine might remain somewhat limited. Don't get me wrong; I find the HDR in Arma2 really impressive, but when the sky is clouded over and there isn't much bloom etc going on, the Armaverse can look incredibly flat and lifeless. I really hope the devs have managed to innovate in this department to make Lemnos visually stunning all day long :)

I'd be happy with any improvement when it comes to multiple dynamic light sources. I'm not sure if it's doable within new lighting system and what would be the performance cost but I can't really see the purpose of improving lighting engine if it retains the same limitations of the old lighting system...

Musil: Honestly, though—although it might sound a little staged—the best weapon for me is new lighting model, which I like very much personally. Visually, it’s a big step up from our previous games. I hope this weapon will be great help for promoting our game.

Manna from heaven :cool:

If you will check those recent screenshots you will notice that the lighting system has been improved.

In fact one of the screenshots shows a cloudy sky (the one with the little bird) and look how good it looks. In fact to me it looks like early Crysis videos where they still didn't go overboard with those godrays, just a pure HDR.

What I really hope for though is BIS improving shadows so they won't look blocky. GTA4 f.e. uses some kind of filter that dithers edges and gives shadows a more natural look.

I was thinking more of limitations, not the looks. I agree, screenshots look amazing, but they only show how scene is lit by the sun or moon. What they don't show is how objects react to flashlights or car lights etc... You can't really tell from the one with car lights we have.

If your question is 'will objects behind walls be lit up by car lights?' - well the answer is unfortunately yes. That's how 3D rendering works.

UNLESS that said wall together with other objects will project shadows. Then it will be realistic. But on screenshots I didn't see any shadows from car lights so...

I think it can be improved if cars won't light up objects 100 or 200m away like they do currently in OA. For some reason their light is too exaggerated.

If your question is 'will objects behind walls be lit up by car lights?' - well the answer is unfortunately yes. That's how 3D rendering works.

Who's ass do you get this shit from? And since when are you the fucking expert regarding lighting/shading and 3d rendering?

UNLESS that said wall together with other objects will project shadows. Then it will be realistic. But on screenshots I didn't see any shadows from car lights so...

False, again. One has NOTHING to do with the other.

now really, how did that logic test of yours went? Because you seem to be coming back with the same flawed arguments and incompleted pieces of information...

Edited by PuFu

I think it can be improved if cars won't light up objects 100 or 200m away like they do currently in OA. For some reason their light is too exaggerated.

Even in the case of real-time 3D rendering that's not true, maybe if we were in 2004...

So Pufu, despite your post being so full of clever counter-arguments, care to tell me how it really works and why, say, the light source won't affect the wall if there's another wall in between without the proper shading (which will look like a shadow because it will have to be calculated as a shadow) or a shadow projected?

I'm genuinely interested in knowing.

Edited by metalcraze

Well, there are many games without dynamic shadows that Objects do block the light.

GTA IV, if you turn off the dynamic shadows in the options, car headlights for example do not cast shadows, but they do not go through wall etc.

So I'm guessing that light being occluded by objects does not mean you have to have dynamic shadows.

Well, there are many games without dynamic shadows that Objects do block the light.

GTA IV, if you turn off the dynamic shadows in the options, car headlights for example do not cast shadows, but they do not go through wall etc.

So I'm guessing that light being occluded by objects does not mean you have to have dynamic shadows.

Hey, I know you're responding to metalcraze's post, but thanks for actually posting constructive, positive, and informative response instead of just flaming. I wish we had more forum members like that.

Who's ass do you get this shit from? And since when are you the fucking expert regarding lighting/shading and 3d rendering?

False, again. One has NOTHING to do with the other.

now really, how did that logic test of yours went? Because you seem to be coming back with the same flawed arguments and incompleted pieces of information...

@PuFu, I know not a lot of people put up with metalcraze, and I know his assumption was wrong, but learn how to respond to posts from neokika. You don't have to always flame people (and yes, per the forum rules, that could classify as flaming).

I'm genuinely interested in knowing.

I am very happy to hear that. I'll take my time in the next few days to come with a comprehensive and informative answer (sorry, this answer needs images and the likes, so i can't put it down right at this moment). A very short answer is that self-shadows are not always linked to shadow projections

@PuFu, I know not a lot of people put up with metalcraze, and I know his assumption was wrong, but learn how to respond to posts from neokika. You don't have to always flame people (and yes, per the forum rules, that could classify as flaming).

You son are very close to metalcraze on my list (that is the list of people who post stuff they know little or nothing about). You are in no position to lecture me, or teach me about the forum rules, especially when you are breaking them yourself right at this very moment with your previous post of yours.

If you think i was flaming, there is a report button next to my name, i suggest you use it..

I am very happy to hear that. I'll take my time in the next few days to come with a comprehensive and informative answer (sorry, this answer needs images and the likes, so i can't put it down right at this moment). A very short answer is that self-shadows are not always linked to shadow projections

You son are very close to metalcraze on my list (that is the list of people who post stuff they know little or nothing about). You are in no position to lecture me, or teach me about the forum rules, especially when you are breaking them yourself right at this very moment with your previous post of yours.

If you think i was flaming, there is a report button next to my name, i suggest you use it..

Is the post present in this thread or in another? And what rule would that be? Nvm, found it. By the way, yes, I did take the liberty of reporting your post and no, I don't have to teach you the forum rules, as they are spelled out.

Edited by antoineflemming