Sign in to follow this  
royaltyinexile

Arma 3 Community Alpha - Announcement!

I prefer a hardcopy with a nice manual and this little idea would not offer it.

This doesn't exist in the world anymore. Also even with a physical product you will need to patch almost immediately meaning your DVD is good for an install for all of 3 minutes while it's being shipped to you - after that there will be so many patches that a full install is the only thing that works, meaning a full game download anyway.

If we got Falcon 4.0-ish comprehensive manuals still than yeah hardcopy would be worth it, but since those days are over, there's really no sense in retail versions anymore. :)

Many publishers/devs use !exclusive Beta testing NOW! mainly just for customer retention and not for bugfixing. Its better to say "Hey, with your help we can make the best/anything happen... just join and sign in for testing our games before release!" instead of "We want a lifetime subscription and that you buy all our products at highest price!" ;)

kylania if publishers + devs would do their job incl. QA there would be less need of release patches and patches to patch patches. But perhaps these companies lack a bit of time + project management and proper inhouse communication? Maybe publishers and their finance monkeys are just a little bit greedy and impatient too?

Hello

I would be very pleased to be part of the Arma 3 Community Alpha.

Athanor :)

This doesn't exist in the world anymore. Also even with a physical product you will need to patch almost immediately meaning your DVD is good for an install for all of 3 minutes while it's being shipped to you - after that there will be so many patches that a full install is the only thing that works, meaning a full game download anyway.

If we got Falcon 4.0-ish comprehensive manuals still than yeah hardcopy would be worth it, but since those days are over, there's really no sense in retail versions anymore. :)

If they only selled downloadable copies people like me(with bad connection) wouldnt be able to play anymore.

Paying for a full game; pre-order => Acess to Alpha.

What is the big deal? Have been done before many times.

Public Alpha may make people think that is the final product or will not change enough until realease. And lets be honest: that might be a problem for a game coming from BIS.

That would mean that people do not know the meaning of Alpha vs. Beta vs. Gold (Release). Ignorance on their part. The problem with pre-order-based tests is that you are saying that someone has to buy the game to see if they're going to like it the mechanics of it, if they like the changes from the previous game, to see if it's broken, with no guarantee that any of that will be fixed. Some people like to know the end state of a game before they buy it. Yeah, they'd test an alpha version and offer feedback. Test a beta version and offer feedback. Play a demo to see how much was changed, and if it's good enough. And THEN buy the game. By making it only accessible to pre-orders, you are saying that you have to be 100% behind this regardless of the end state in order to have any part in the improving of the game. So then, people are blindly pre-ordering the game. The majority of gamers don't pre-order games. They buy games on release day, and for good reason. Why alienate the majority of your market? Have an open alpha, or limited by keys, and BIS will have a larger testing audience, they will get a much broader test that will more accurately reflect their audience. Remember, the ArmA forum is not the extent of BIS's market. There are people who have played ALL BIS games that aren't on here. And they aren't going to jump to pre-ordering the game. Whether you like it or not, an Alpha test or Beta test IS trying out the game as a demo. But it's a specific, limited demo with the expected outcome of getting feedback. The difference is that, with a general demo, any kind of feedback is directed to the wider gamer community in the form of praise or criticism. With an alpha or beta test, most of the feedback is directed at the developers so that they can address and improve the product. Because, regardless of whether it's an alpha, beta, demo, or release product, people WILL talk about it. So it's not that problematic that people will play it and not offer much feedback. Like I said before, if they love it, then they'll probably find something wrong with it and provide feedback in whatever way BIS has set up. If they hate it, then they will just stop testing it altogether. The only problematic scenario is if you have testers who absolutely adore it and find no problem with it at all. That won't be the case. No game is perfect.

Did the world turned upside-down? Paying to test an Alpha? Seriously some folks must be really fanatic or from CM forum....

Obviously your unfamiliar with Wolfire's Overgrowth http://www.wolfire.com/ ;)

And why not? If one doesn't like the idea, one simply waits for Full Retail version. Those who enjoy playing early build, seeing the new technology develop and offering valuable feedback and don't mind paying will also feel fine about it. I'll be glad to have an end to the endlessly fucking played out "Im always paying for a Beta with BIS games..."....please.

I m really happy for the "Alpha" news-but it saddens me the fact i have to pre-order the game (digital version)..'cause

i always prefer having BIS software on DVD's :(

Is there something can be done for the rest of us guyz??

I'm against the idea of paying for testing the alpha and beta (for ArmA3). It's going against the openness that BIS has had with the community in similar ventures with the current beta patch system and the Community Preview for Take On.

I m really happy for the "Alpha" news-but it saddens me the fact i have to pre-order the game (digital version).

No one ever said that this will be the case.

I m really happy for the "Alpha" news-but it saddens me the fact i have to pre-order the game (digital version)..'cause

Yeah as MadDogX pointed out, they are not making us pay for the alpha and beta testing. The idea is just currently being discussed because....well why the fuck not? We got several months before we'll even see what we may be in for at E3.

You don't have to pre-order. Hope it stays that way. I can understand why some people wouldn't mind pre-ordering. But why do you WANT it to be limited to pre-orders?

By the way, froggyluv, right now one doesn't have to wait for retail. If some people are butthurt over the community alpha being open, then they are free to sit out as well. Those who enjoy playing early build, seeing the new technology develop and offering valuable feedback shouldn't really care whether they have to pre-order game to test it, so if it doesn't require a pre-order, then they should be perfectly fine with having a free Community Alpha. Or am I mistaken? What you want is a feeling of exclusivity, to say "Hey, I pre-ordered. Look at me! Now I get something you don't." Otherwise, it shouldn't bother you that BIS has said nothing of a pre-order requirement.

What you want is a feeling of exclusivity, to say "Hey, I pre-ordered. Look at me! Now I get something you don't

Wrong. Please don't try to assess me without knowing me. Im 41, own a business and have family -why the hell would I look for special attention from people who like similar video games as me ;)

What I AM saying is that I don't mind paying to get an early grab of the build -in my opinion early cash flow could promote more growth and possible make or break an added Middleware decision such as Xaitment. Think more carefully before you post making sweeping assumptions -thanks.

Well I came to the conclusion that limiting the community alpha for pre-orders would limit its use. While you don't really pay for the preview as you purchase a normal pre-order of the game, there is no point why you should limit it when you can run normal pre-orders at the same time to support development and keep it more accessible by not bounding it to said pre-orders.

I am really looking forward to the benefits of such extensive community involvement! :)

I am really looking forward to the benefits of such extensive community involvement! :)

Sure but isn't it going to end with a 500page list of wanted improvements with a BIS team that is relatively small stated by the man himself?!

There was a lot of positive and put-into-the-game feedback with the TKOH betas, so I'm assuming we'll get the same from this alpha process.

Holy-- Come on, BIS! I've only been gone for three days or so, and you roll all this out?

Guess I'm getting this year's bad timing award.

Sure but isn't it going to end with a 500page list of wanted improvements with a BIS team that is relatively small stated by the man himself?!

They said, in a kind manner, they will ignore the typical nitpicking.

I have already paid for a pre-alpha with buying Arma1 and Arma2 on release .

Do you really compare the releases of A1 and A2 to Pre-Alpha?? I mean they were bad. But that bad? So if they released the GamesCom version of A3 it would be comparable to the release of A1 and A2? Well then, I guess we are in for a real treat.

This is a very similar formula from when they release OFP..... So lets all help BIS help us.... I am looking forward to the Alpha release.

Kinda hoping there will be some sort of Utes island (bigger than old desert island) to play with and test on. Would Rahmadi be big enough? Not sure to be honest.

Thats why BIS has to make sure that the people understand that it is only an alpha. Something like a Popup everytime you enter the main menu.

Yeah..we'll have the perma header "Demo, Work In Progress", as before.

I can live with it being there for 6 months. :bounce3:

Damn this is cool...

@CarlGustaffa

Surely the Alpha will be on the same Island as the retail version. Why should they use a different Island for this?