Photo
- - - - -

What languages do you know or want to know.

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#1 GRS

GRS

Master Sergeant

• Members
  • 687 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 05:02 AM

Hope this isn't too OT. Didn't see another thread for this either.

We have a pretty spread out community here and the political battleground threads are getting old. What languages do you all know, want to learn, or are currently learning?

I only speak English (obviously) fluently, but I'm slowly learning Russian. I had Spanish in school years ago but don't remember a word of it and was never that interested. After Russian, I want to try Czech, thanks in no small part to OFP and my favorite handgun being the famous CZ75. Unfortunately I'm done with university education soon (but not soon enough) so I'll be lone-wolfing Russian and god only knows how I'll learn Czech. Any tips from you multilingual people out there?

Go!

#2 Rye

Rye

Sergeant Major

• Members
  • 1689 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:07 AM

Privet!

I am slowly learning Russian too.... very slowly. I have 1-5 on the ball.

One - OdIn
first - Pervuj
ready in voice - Pervuj
two - dvA
second - Vtoroj
three - Tri
third - Tretij
Four - chetUre
fourth - Chetvertoj
Five - pJat'
fifth - Pjatuj
Six - Shest'
Seven - Sem' (Semi)
Eight - Vosem'
Nine - Devjat'
Ten - DesjAt'
How to say good morning and good evening - Dobroe Utro and Dobruj vecher
good bye - PokA
Good - HOrosho
Ok - Ok :D
Thank you - SpasibO
I am - Ja (y-AA)
You - tU

Edited by Rye, 20 February 2012 - 07:12 AM.

#3 Tonci87

Tonci87

Colonel

• Members
  • 9536 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:44 AM

Croatian (+all the other ex YU languages that are basically the same)
German
English
French
Spanish

I would like to learn russian someday
Posted Image Master of testing for a better Arma and well, for science.
Teach the AI how to drive. Teach AI Tank drivers to turn their front towards the enemy. Give us supression effects for AI . Make AI ragdoll if they get hit. Give us proper animations for throwing Frags. Give us a proper wounding system. Fix the armored vests so that they don´t protect the whole torso. More Civilian assets. Females. Weapon resting. Give us inertia influenced movement depending on the Weapon you have.

#4 nettrucker

nettrucker

Warrant Officer

• Members
  • 2020 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:14 AM

Speaking German (Mothertongue)
Fluently English and Italian.
cheers

p.s. Might be time to learn Chinese. LOL ;)

Edited by nettrucker, 20 February 2012 - 09:02 PM.
typo.

Do you like music?
http://www.alchemydi....com/index.html

Originally Posted by walker
Took out myself and two other squad mates bouncing a grenade off a wall.

Originally Posted by CarlGustaffa
Bah, I've done that since OFP I can't hit a barn when I'm trying to. But with nades, I can hit a barn when I'm not trying to

#5 Celery

Celery

First Lieutenant

• Members
  • 5084 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:21 AM

Finnish, some Swedish and German, and bits of Spanish, Dutch, Japanese and Czech, and currently I'm trying to learn Czech. I already got confused a couple of times by the word "ano" which is "yes" in Czech but I'm used to the meaning of "uh..." in Japanese. The pronunciation is quite easy.

#6 rtka1234

rtka1234

Lance Corporal

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:27 AM

Hi my motherlanguage is hungarian and i speak english fluently:m:
:war:Long live Chernarus and her people

#7 -FRL-Myke

-FRL-Myke

• Moderators
  • 6571 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:36 AM

Well, swiss german is my native language, therefor german would be my first "foreign" language. Besides this i speak english (obviously) and french, a very little italian and one (and probably the most important) sentence in spanish: "una cerveza, por favor". :D
Posted Image

#8 ProfTournesol

ProfTournesol

Lieutenant Colonel

• Members
  • 8407 posts
  • LocationParis, France

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:54 AM

Finnish, some Swedish and German, and bits of Spanish, Dutch, Japanese and Czech, and currently I'm trying to learn Czech. I already got confused a couple of times by the word "ano" which is "yes" in Czech but I'm used to the meaning of "uh..." in Japanese. The pronunciation is quite easy.

Yep, i guess we all learnt Czech here by trying to figure out what p3d selections mean. Hlava, bricho, hrudnik and stehno FTW :cool:

#9 Sickboy

Sickboy

Colonel

• Members
  • 9946 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:58 AM

My mother language is Ruby, I speak other dialects of Ruby, but also speak some other languages fluently like C# and Java, some CoffeeScript(modern Javascript)... Oh wait... :D

#10 Mr. Charles

Mr. Charles

Sergeant Major

• Members
  • 1837 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:24 AM

English, German, Latin (i barely made my Latinum)
Posted Image

#11 Dekster

Dekster

Sergeant

• Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:46 PM

*Dutch
*English
*French (not that good at grammar, but I know a lot of words, so understanding and speaking to people is quite easy for me)

I also know a little bit of German.
Want to learn: Russian and expand my knowledge of German.

#12 PELHAM

PELHAM

I shall not insult moderators

• Banned
  • 1576 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:24 PM

English, French, Spanish (South American dialect too).
A little Italian, Portuguese, German, Greek, Shona and Zulu.

#13 -Martin-

-Martin-

Master Gunnery Sergeant

• Members
  • 1145 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:40 PM

Languages? :butbut: That’s my passion, even more then addon making, or anything else.

I can speak (fluently): English, Czech, Polish, Russian, Ukrainian, Serbo-Croatian, Macedonian.

I can understand, without any major problems (and they can understand me if I speak one of the languages above): Belorussian, Slovenian, Bulgarian, Slovak...

Slavs FTW! :cheers:

Languages that I would like to learn to speak fluently? :j: Would definitely have to be Bulgarian. :smile:

Any tips from you multilingual people out there?

For a person that only knows English (I’m not trying to discourage you or anything, but I have to let you know) I would say the following:

Russian, try... But it's going to be VERY HARD, there are things in Slavic languages that just don’t exist in English and you will have a hard time getting your mind around them. E.g. Male/Female/Neutral words. You will also have to learn Cyrillic, which shouldn’t be a problem tough, in my view its way easier than Latin.

Czech, pretty much forget about it (Although if you learn Russian well, you will know basically most of what there is to know in Czech, but you will have to learn some new words, and a special letter. Constructing sentences is also a tiny bit different in Western Slavic languages then in the Eastern ones). It’s the hardest Slavic language that even other Slavs have a hard time getting their mind around, not to mention the long letters, and the famous letter Ř.

Edited by -Martin-, 20 February 2012 - 08:56 PM.

#14 Rye

Rye

Sergeant Major

• Members
  • 1689 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:05 PM

Male/Female/Neutral words.

This is the same with Arabic. It takes some getting used to. You're best off sitting one to one with somebody and just repeating every word.. one's you know in English, and their definition.

#15 Robster

Robster

Gunnery Sergeant

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:09 PM

LOL
@Celery: In spanish that word "ano" means that infamous little orifice at the end of your back hahahaha y no es chiste perrín!!!!
Posted Image

Posted Image

#16 DM

DM

Major

• Members
  • 7876 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:13 PM

and the famous letter Ř.

It is my personal nemesis....

well you are 1 of the greatest examples that pressing the reply button doesn't mean necessarily answering.

#17 GRS

GRS

Master Sergeant

• Members
  • 687 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:29 PM

Russian, try... But it's going to be VERY HARD, there are things in Slavic languages that just don’t exist in English and you will have a hard time getting your mind around them. E.g. Male/Female/Neutral words. You will also have to learn Cyrillic, which shouldn’t be a problem tough, in my view its way easier than Latin.

Czech, pretty much forget about it (Although if you learn Russian well, you will know basically most of what there is to know in Czech, but you will have to learn some new words, and a special letter. Constructing sentences is also a tiny bit different in Western Slavic languages then in the Eastern ones). It’s the hardest Slavic language that even other Slavs have a hard time getting their mind around, not to mention the long letters, and the famous letter Ř.

Well, the good thing is that I actually understand the Russian gender stuff very well and most of the cases as well. I have the strange ability of being able to pronounce words that other English only speakers find hard, it's using them in conversation that I struggle with most. I'm definitely still learning though. I usually spend one to two hours a night studying Russian and my teachers are very good at what they do.

Edited by GRS, 20 February 2012 - 10:58 PM.

#18 Antrix

Antrix

Private First Class

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:35 PM

Bulgarian
English
German (Deutsch) (Not much...) Want to expand my knowledge for this language, but in this moment - I don't have time.

Want to know: more slavic languages - Russian, Serbian and etc. Yes, they are similar to Bulgarian but... not too much. I don't talk about to understand me, because they are very similar in this attitude, but in grammar and etc.

---------- Post added at 11:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:32 PM ----------

Languages? :butbut: That’s my passion, even more then addon making, or anything else.

I can speak (fluently): English, Czech, Polish, Russian, Ukrainian, Serbo-Croatian, Macedonian.

I can understand, without any major problems (and they can understand me if I speak one of the languages above): Belorussian, Slovenian, Bulgarian, Slovak...

Slavs FTW! :cheers:

Languages that I would like to learn to speak fluently? :j: Would definitely have to be Bulgarian. :smile:

For a person that only knows English (I’m not trying to discourage you or anything, but I have to let you know) I would say the following:

Поздрави от България! Хаха. :)

П.С. Чувствам се поласкан, че си избрал моя роден език. Знай, че всички езици от този регион са трудни, дори аз, все още не владея езика си на перфектно ниво, а съм на 18 и го уча от близо 14 години.

Edited by Antrix, 20 February 2012 - 09:44 PM.

#19 .Taffy

.Taffy

Gunnery Sergeant

• Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:03 PM

I speak English and Welsh fluently and I hope to learn Italian. Would like to have basic conversational stuff down before my cousin's wedding in Italy this August.

#20 RangerPL

RangerPL

Master Sergeant

• Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:05 PM

I'm fluent in Polish as well as English, both of which I use on a daily basis. I'm somewhat communicative in Spanish though I haven't used it in a while.

I can also understand some things in Czech/Slovak as well as Russian and German, though I have no education in those languages. I'd love to learn both German and Russian sometime.
Fun is just a buzzword people use when they can't think of a good reason why they enjoy something.