• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic
NaturalFlying
NaturalFlying

Rookie

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 19:34

Ok first of all,Im 13,now i'm playing BF3 on xbox and i am planning to get a gaming PC. Arma seems to be really cool and i seem to have a Natural talent at flying (I learned to fly in 2 attempts on BF3) also maybe i will try out the game 'Take on Helicopters' but do you think i will understand the game well and that the players will accept me,also this registration was kinda weird,they asked for Operation Flashpoint Cold Crisis release (Google searching...) or something... i proved that i was a human to many times ._.

Still think i will be good in this game? i love flying..its addicting like chocolate for me,im Swedish and i know the English language well.

Now no haters.

Did this forums have lots of spammers cause of the registration/thread posting stuff?

I'm asking this cause of Youtube vids and it seems very.....mature and REALISTIC <3 Mw3 i played it,exchanged it for Skyrim,BF3 Meh,im tired of it,its to easy now,no flamming just good ol'e answers.

And for you guys that hates CoD,im with you all the way....i hate cod so dont say CoD fanboy..

Archosaurusrev
Archosaurusrev

Gunnery Sergeant

• Members
  • 518 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 19:45

Err, first of all, wrong section.

Second, sure, if you really think you're up to it, go for it. I'm the same age as you and I don't have any problems playing Arma or tweaking it outside the game.
I'll just say, after you get it, look around on how to get better performance as Arma can usually run a lot better than how it runs default. Set video memory to Default, I cannot stress this enough!

Flying in BF3 is piss easy, it is a bit harder in Arma but really easy compared to flight sims.
United as one, divided by zero.

JdB
JdB

Hipster Addonmaker

• Members
  • 4525 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 19:49

Welcome.

I started playing BIS games when I was 16 (when the first one was released), but I used to play flight sims all the time back then, so it shouldn't be a problem as long as you've got the patience to learn through a reasonably steep learning curve. All of BIS' games have a steeper learning curve than most other games, flying is relatively simply in the ArmA games compared to dedicated flight sims, although it should get better when ArmA3 gets the far more detailed Take on Helicopters flight model. Currently ArmA2 has the old flight model, but there is a beta of the ToH flight model that you can play with in ArmA2 to see how it improves the flying experience. Everyone can learn to play BIS games, it's just a matter of being prepared to invest the time it takes to "get it".

Edited by JdB, 14 February 2012 - 19:58.

Hipster addonmaker for ArmA:CWA
Posted Image
Posted Image

ddeo
ddeo

Lance Corporal

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 20:25

Welcome! I've started playing original cwc when I was 11. :) But I wasn't flying at that time. I don't think age would be the problem. ;) From bf to arma? You might be shocked!

NeuroFunker
NeuroFunker

Warrant Officer

• Members
  • 2207 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 21:14

just get any 2500k or 2700k intel sandy bridge processor, newest ATI 7970, and you'll be able to play arma 2 on max deiials, probably also arma 3 when it comes out. Nice to hear, there are even young people, that can figure out - BF and COD are simply to easy and mainstream, if you want real challenge - Arma is the only way to go!

Welcome to our community ;)
Posted Image

I just dropped an IFV from 3,000 feet in the air. You know what happened? That's right, absolutely nothing. It hit the ground at 150 km/h, landed upright, and the AI driver kept right on trucking without a bit of damage.

But BIS! You have promised "The most realistic simulation game!" ;)

paecmaker
paecmaker

Gunnery Sergeant

• Members
  • 464 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 21:24

Welcome

I think the flying is fairly simple in Arma(when it comes to shooting Im not as good :P).

On the ground however you are really vulnerable but it shouldnt be a problem if you take it easy, just have patience.

Most important is to be on the lookout because most battles are at long ranges so you will barerly see the enemy and to take it slow(as said before)

NeuroFunker
NeuroFunker

Warrant Officer

• Members
  • 2207 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 21:25

[quote name='paecmaker']
Most important is to be on the lookout because most battles are at long ranges so you will barerly see the enemy and to take it slow(as said before)[/QUOTE

lol yeah, i know it since flashpoint times, got shot out of nowhere? Take it easy, you are in a battlesim ;)
Posted Image

I just dropped an IFV from 3,000 feet in the air. You know what happened? That's right, absolutely nothing. It hit the ground at 150 km/h, landed upright, and the AI driver kept right on trucking without a bit of damage.

ziiip
ziiip

Sergeant Major

• Members
  • 1535 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 21:27

No you cant.
Posted Image
(\_/)
(O.o)copy the bunny into your sig
( ><) help him achieve world dominashun

mrcash2009
mrcash2009

Second Lieutenant

• Members
  • 4228 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 21:29

Ok first of all,Im 13

No then :)

SICK OF IDIOTS & STEAM.

NeMeSiS
NeMeSiS

Captain

• Members
  • 6366 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 21:35

No then :)

I was about the same age when i started playing CWC.

JdB
JdB

Hipster Addonmaker

• Members
  • 4525 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 21:41

I was about the same age when i started playing CWC.

Are you trying to prove his point? ;)

Age doesn't matter, attitude does.

Hipster addonmaker for ArmA:CWA
Posted Image
Posted Image

NeMeSiS
NeMeSiS

Captain

• Members
  • 6366 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 22:05

Are you trying to prove his point? ;)

I would think of a witty comeback, but with a signature like this i am afraid it is futile. :P

NeuroFunker
NeuroFunker

Warrant Officer

• Members
  • 2207 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 22:52

the size does matter
Posted Image

celery
celery

First Lieutenant

• Members
  • 5084 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 23:22

When I was your age... I started playing Operation Flashpoint. :)

Whalen207
Whalen207

Private First Class

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 23:57

Still think i will be good in this game? i love flying..its addicting like chocolate for me,im Swedish and i know the English language well.

I wouldn't worry about the level of flying difficulty in the ArmA series. It's easy stuff, just BF3 with a couple extra difficulties like lower landing angles and higher takeoff speeds. I'd worry more about not getting shot down and learning to properly use ordinance.

But welcome to the ArmA family.

Maddmatt
Maddmatt

Chief Warrant Officer

• Members
  • 3798 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 05:51

I was 12 when I started playing Operation Flashpoint, that was 10 years ago. It's harder and demands more patience than most games, give it a go.
The helicopters were also what lured me in at first.

Flogger23m
Flogger23m

Staff Sergeant

• Members
  • 266 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 05:59

The flying in the ArmA series is terrible. It is worse than BF3 even. If BF3 is your only experience with flying in a game, then pick up Ace Combat 6 (not Assault Horizon) for the Xbox 360. AC6 is an arcade game, though the controls and flight model are done far better than ArmA/BF. Once you get the hang of AC6, pick up Apache Air Assault and/or Wings of Prey. Both are games with some slight simulation aspects. Both are far harder to learn than AC6. When you master though games, look into Lock On: Flaming Cliffs 2. It is a survey sim, but it does a decent job of modeling the various planes and tactics (though simplified). If you can master Lock On, get into the DCS series.

Alternatively, you can download the Rise of Flight demo (full game minus all of the planes), which is free. This is a true flight simulator, yanking on your stick will tear your plane apart or cause you to stall. It is a great simulator, and very fun to fly, though I am not sure if WWI flight is of interest to you.

If you are interested in realistic infantry tactics, get ArmA. The gameplay is nothing like BF3, it is very much the opposite. I am not saying you will not like the game, but just remember the gameplay is nothing like BF3.

nuxil
nuxil

Sergeant Major

• Members
  • 1606 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 07:03

hmm.. the game will be rated 16 or 18 afik. so you can play the game but should not. you would need someone else to buy it for you thought.
and to the people who say. give it a go etc and brag how young you where when you started playing ofp/arma. i think its wrong..
would you reccomend a 13 year old kid a horror movie set to 18, even tho the game doesnt have gore. the game has blod, bad language. massive killing etc. just a thought!

Edited by nuxil, 15 February 2012 - 07:23.

nikiforos
nikiforos

Warrant Officer

• Members
  • 2222 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:21

I was 3 when I started with operation flashpoint:)
"Whoever comes to us with the sword from the sword will perish"
Alexandr Nevsky Prince of Novgorod and Kiev 1220-1263

msy
msy

Gunnery Sergeant

• Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:24

The flying in the ArmA series is terrible. It is worse than BF3 even. If BF3 is your only experience with flying in a game, then pick up Ace Combat 6 (not Assault Horizon) for the Xbox 360. AC6 is an arcade game, though the controls and flight model are done far better than ArmA/BF. Once you get the hang of AC6, pick up Apache Air Assault and/or Wings of Prey. Both are games with some slight simulation aspects. Both are far harder to learn than AC6. When you master though games, look into Lock On: Flaming Cliffs 2. It is a survey sim, but it does a decent job of modeling the various planes and tactics (though simplified). If you can master Lock On, get into the DCS series.

Alternatively, you can download the Rise of Flight demo (full game minus all of the planes), which is free. This is a true flight simulator, yanking on your stick will tear your plane apart or cause you to stall. It is a great simulator, and very fun to fly, though I am not sure if WWI flight is of interest to you.

If you are interested in realistic infantry tactics, get ArmA. The gameplay is nothing like BF3, it is very much the opposite. I am not saying you will not like the game, but just remember the gameplay is nothing like BF3.

The flight in BF3 only shows car can be faster than a jet plane and AA GUN has a poor fire range of 200m.