Sign in to follow this  
suma

ARMA 2: OA beta build 89025 (1.60 MP compatible build, post 1.60 release)

When you're far from objects, like it was in the past. It was "fixed" (mostly anyway) at some point pre-1.60 but now seems to be rearing its ugly head again.

EDIT: Actually, for some reason I'm not able to get the same behavior that I was a couple betas ago (using whichever beta is the latest on Six right now, I think it's 89018?). I tried a couple different FXAA/Sharp/AToC combos but it's not doing it now. I'll test it more later.

Edited by MavericK96

I think Varanon and me found a repro for the excessive use of binoculars, and AI using NVG's as binoculars.

Please, somebody try the repro steps I added to this issue. Thanks :)

Some rocks are blinking for me much when those are about 40m away and I use zoom. During that zoom time, those change lods like 10 times. Noticed this while playing in Takistan.

Comp: i7 2600K, HD6870 (2 months old drivers), Vista 64bit, 8Gb DDR1600 memory.

Dead/killed units are still standing up for a split of a second. Best+fastest chance to see this is on bigger missions with many AI teams + groups, just pay attention to dead units when looking around.

As I wrote, car controls did not change yet, only a visual indicator was added for them. Experimental new car controls will be present in the next beta.

---------- Post added at 18:44 ---------- Previous post was at 18:42 ----------

Good find, will be fixed.

To be honest I don't get what exactly changed. For me driving boats is quite the same.

The only difference I found is what is quoted above, that now when in freelook mode you can't steer boats only with keyboard, which is a step backwards. Glad to hear it will be fixed, since I often look around and control the shores visually, when driving a boat.

Can anybody explain to me more precisely what changed with this beta about the controls?

EDIT: Ok, now after reading all the posts I get it. The reason I don't see the difference is, because I always steered boats with the keyboard.

Hmm, I don't know if this would work out well with cars...you can't keep the angle with this system. I apply to make it optional. Some of us probably got already very used to the "new" ArmA style steering.

Edited by Kroky

Anyone else noticing small objects like ammocrates popping in/out when turning slightly around? I've seen this before back with 1.59 but not in 1.60 release.

/KC

I like it, though I'd have to try it in a car for a better idea of how it is. Driving in a boat is a lot easier than in a car on winding roads.

I saw the indicator when steering a Bradley and an Abrams, so it works for vehicles other than cars as well. With tracked vehicles, I find that you have to move the mouse too far to the left or right to get a sharp turn. Perhaps the mouse sensitivity should be increased slightly for such vehicles?

------------------------------

I'm still seeing some pixelation around bright objects in thermal optics with FXAASharp=2; FXAA=7; FSAA=2; AToC=7.

Here are similar shots from 1.60 vanilla with no sharpening (same .cfg as above):

Edges look smoother.

On this note, I'm also noticing some weird artifacts with sharpening. The one that comes up most fresh in my mind is the Aimpoint red dot reticule. At the beginning of a game start, it appears fine. But after passing it over certain areas of the screen, a light green ring appears around the dot. I'll try to get a screenshot of it later.

Using a gamepad i noticed a problem with the boats. When steering with a gamepad the mouse is still active forcing the boat to go forward. The new marker is seen drifting out to the side(s) when steering with the gamepad so the boat wants to steer back to center following the mouse marker.

This does not happen with cars. When steering with gamepad the mouse steering marker disapears/stays dead center.

The combo of "left/right" with A/D for quick and strong turns, and "more left/right" with the mouse and indicator works well. Good job.

However please consider to make the cursor permanent and available in all axis when group leader/effective commander to use it for AI commanding like in OFP.

See: https://dev-heaven.net/issues/13218

However please consider to make the cursor permanent and available in all axis when group leader/effective commander to use it for AI commanding like in OFP.

See: https://dev-heaven.net/issues/13218

I would not link driving and commanding together. I hope to approach commanding from vehicles sometimes later, as this is also currently lacking, but I think the commanding cursor should be handled differently.

As for making the cursor permanent, I am considering it, but I do not like it at first sight. We prefer not to have any HUD elements shown which serve no purpose, and this cursor is not useful when you are not using a mouse to steer. Perhaps time based fade out instead of (or together with) center based one could work well.

For me it breaks driving, I don't have my mouse bound to turn left/right as I'm very comfortable driving with keyboard and always enable freelook in vehicles. On Regular difficulty I can see the cursor wherever the vehicle was pointed when I get in but I cannot steer much away from that point.

Perhaps time based fade out instead of (or together with) center based one could work well.

This is a good approach. In any case please allow the use of this icon when HUD is disabled. I would like to use the mouse for driving using the cursor, but not show the weapon sights HUD icons.

I would suggest to integrate such little helpers/assistants into the option menu. That way everyone can simply select what he likes or need.

Some people prefer a clean screen, some need only few HUD elements and others can't play without a cluttered/overloaded HUD.

I would suggest to integrate such little helpers/assistants into the option menu. That way everyone can simply select what he likes or need.

Some people prefer a clean screen, some need only few HUD elements and others can't play without a cluttered/overloaded HUD.

Agree... or leave it to disappear.... keeps it clean. It is not a precision driving sim.... close enough is good enough..But on elite have them removed

Or you can press space to show the cursor like you do it currently with infantry even on veteran. Except inside the car obviously.

I too prefer HUDless ArmA.

I would not link driving and commanding together. I hope to approach commanding from vehicles sometimes later, as this is also currently lacking, but I think the commanding cursor should be handled differently.

Well, the problem is that commanding while in driver position now requires either TrackIR or freelook mode. Enabling freelook takes time, and removes control over vehicle until disabled again. While freelook is not enabled, it would be nice to make commanding cursor (and camera?) follow driving cursor at least as option - it would fit "Quick Command" purposes very well.

removes control over vehicle until disabled again

I would assume this to be a good thing. Or do you want to drive your vehicle in the direction of the command you are issuing?

Still, as I wrote, I agree commanding in vehicles should be improved, but I see reasons both technical and design why I do not want to link commanding to driving.

It's not like you cannot talk and steer vehicle in the same time ;)

I'd like the OFP behavior most, with commanding cursor to which driving and turret aligns unless freelook is enabled (like optional freeaim zone for infantry). Since it's heavily different to current game design, it should be optional change if at all.

==

There's example video of that feature, by kju:

https://dev-heaven.net/attachments/7669/OFP_PilotCommandingGunnerOrOtherTroops.avi

Please notice that camera view also was not "fixed" straight forward, but followed the command cursor, allowing fast looking around, not limited by turret rotation speed. That is not a problem when player uses TrackIR device, but it would help mouse drivers, gunners and commanders a lot, helping their situational awareness.

Edited by zGuba

Suma it is not about commanding and driving/flying (aka steering) at the same time, but commanding WHILE in a vehicle.

Especially with/in 1st person only.

More aspects to consider:

a) no more "dead zone" in vehicles (one can see this very well in that video; in OFP you could move your mouse quite much in the center without the vehicle reacting (much))

b) missing cursor while in freelook (either temp (alt + mouse) or permanent (2x alt?))

c) missing cursor even outside freelook (standard view)

d) missing mini cursor in the top radar bar

e) it may have different importance and maybe even way to work different for different kind of vehicles (like car vs tank vs chopper vs plane)

f) 1st person only importance vs with 3rd its a lot easier to command AI

In the end one could argue:

"why do you need to command AI or the crew in vehicles in the first place"

Well because a) AI is not acting on its own at all or effectively for several reasons and b) the alternatives to command AI are not effective nor efficient (like radio: 2-x (target)).

@PvPScene, @zGuba I am usually a patient man, but sorry, this time it is somehow getting to be too much for me. People, cannot you read? I have no intention to argue about something I never wrote. :banghead:

Let me repeat (for the third time, I think), I want to address commanding from a vehicle, as it does not seem good to me in its current state.

Freelook does not disable the control of a vehicle, it only disables a MOUSE control of the vehicle. This seems like a sensible thing to me. If it does not to you, zGuba, please, explain how would you want to use the same mouse to drive and look around at the same time. Regarding what PvPScene wrote, those are some reason which lead me to conviction commanding needs to be handled separately from driving, as commanding cursor requirements are different.

Suma we are only providing feedback and thoughts from the player perspective.

You are to judge and decide what to do with it.

To skip or postpone work on improving commanding AI (in vehicles) for now,

is a decision we will live with and can live with.

If you want to focus now only on the driving/steering part, that is fine and we are to accept that.

I think there's communication issue. I am perfectly fine with how freelook works; I only criticized the behavior of commanding cursor, which is stick to straight forward direction unless player enables freelook. Having to enable and disable freelook just to send simple order is cumbersome.

I also have no objections about development issues. I am very happy about new steering btw.