Sign in to follow this  
hcpookie

Ships, Naval Mines, and Naval Objects

Yes of course... MLODs for the community :) Should be released by the end of the week. I am still working on the Fire GEO LOD... you can shoot right through the boat! LOL I think the Fire Geo LOD is the last thing on the list.

I'm also trying to tweak the HitPoints LOD but can't seem to find the magic formula to make fuel and engine damage work. I'd like to be able to shoot out the engine and disable the boat. However this is a minor point.

I fixed up some issues with the PBR and patrol boats. Wrong placement of memory points, missing proxies, etc. I'm going through the existing boats to try to find any other stupid mistakes I've overlooked. I haven't had any bug reports so it is hard to say what else may need attention.

Oh and I also FINALLY figured out how to add a boat horn... this will be available via the actions menu. Also signal flares on the boat (boats are supposed to have them anyway).

Has the incompatibility issues with pook_water been fixed? Had to uninstall these due to problems caused with several addons including GNATS B52,SU34 and the lataest F/A-18 addons.

Has the incompatibility issues with pook_water been fixed? Had to uninstall these due to problems caused with several addons including GNATS B52,SU34 and the lataest F/A-18 addons.

This is the first I've heard of this. I'm running fine with Gnat's addons. What exactly is the issue you are seeing?

Dear god that's a beautiful ship. Front opening hatch reminds me of the Swedes CB90.

-edit-

Any chance of putting a platform above the RHIB slip, where a small helo could land? Or even a sort of command version, where the cabins roof gets extended quite a ways, and replace the troop capacity with a sort of CIC?

Edited by Darkhorse 1-6

It is loosely based on the CB90. Just larger (about 20m in size) for the Zodiacs and troops.

I looked at the Mark V but not sure if I'll actually sit down to do it. Definite Maybe :)

Here's a question - would the glass on a ship of that size be bullet-proof? I'm fixing up the Fire Geo LOD and can make the driver and commander vulnerable, or keep them happily inside a bullet-proof bridge. Thoughts?

---------- Post added at 11:47 ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 ----------

Fixed the Fire Geo - must be CONVEX shapes!

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Oxygen_2_-_Manual#LODs

Decided to make glass bulletproof...

Edited by hcpookie

v2.1 released! See first post :)

==============

CHANGELOG:

==============

v2.1: 1/23/2013

NEW: Large Assault Transport Ship. Features include:

- Transport for 24 troops

- Scripted launch/recovery for 2 zodiacs

- Fully animated cargo doors

- Dual MG mounts

- Bridge with fully animated gauges

- Credit to Gnat - Zodiac scripts are based on his FSF scripts!

NEW: Large Assault Transport Wreck model. Found under "Wrecks"

NEW: Zodiac boats per faction. No longer are factions limited to "just" the CRRC and PBX!

NEW: Boat flares (launched by driver, commander) and boat horns!

IMPROVED: PBR gunboat armor panel improvements, PBR dual M2 MG's.

FIX: Numerous LOD improvements for different ships.

Yeah if you could do the Mark V, with the zodiac launch, turrets, and somehow implement FEINTS RQ-11 to be launched from it... I'd have to put on new pants.

@hcpookie, i like the Large Assault Ship alot. As a suggestion or idea, could you develop it further and perhaps make the it transport less infantry. Then add more weapon systems to it, such as Stingers and perhaps even a heavy deck gun. To turn another version into a small gun boat. :)

Thanks Foxhound for the mirror!

Can't add any rocket weapons to a boat. Believe me I've tried. They launch with zero velocity and blow up the boat. I would like to add stingers to it. I suspect the Mando missile mod could be used to make that happen. I think Gnat used the AttachTo command to add stingers to his FSF boat. I could probably do the same but honestly I would like to figure out how to add stingers to the boat. I would also like to add RPG's to the Assault Boats since that's usually what pirates like to do in Real Life.

Infantry numbers... 24 too many? The MLODs are there... it would be a simple matter to change the transportcargo setting from 24 to whatever number you have in mind. What's wrong with transporting 24 infantry? :)

Thanks Foxhound for the mirror!

Can't add any rocket weapons to a boat. Believe me I've tried. They launch with zero velocity and blow up the boat. I would like to add stingers to it. I suspect the Mando missile mod could be used to make that happen. I think Gnat used the AttachTo command to add stingers to his FSF boat. I could probably do the same but honestly I would like to figure out how to add stingers to the boat. I would also like to add RPG's to the Assault Boats since that's usually what pirates like to do in Real Life.

Infantry numbers... 24 too many? The MLODs are there... it would be a simple matter to change the transportcargo setting from 24 to whatever number you have in mind. What's wrong with transporting 24 infantry? :)

No worries on the Stingers part, thought it might be a good suggestion. 24 Infantry is fine, i was just thinking if you released the transport of infantry you could mount more defensive weapons on it :)

No worries on the Stingers part, thought it might be a good suggestion. 24 Infantry is fine, i was just thinking if you released the transport of infantry you could mount more defensive weapons on it :)

Or actually make a BIG boat with big guns xD

Edited by Sakai

hcp, I just took a look at the boats; awesome work indeed!

If I may suggest for the Mark V (you seem to have everything needed already in the medium assault boat):

• Grayed Texture (take the British Medium Assault and gray-scale it, it should be good)
  • Not knowing what you based the Medium Assault Boat off of, may have to rescale it for MkV SOC, but from what I can tell you'll have to just re-position and make the front of the top desk a bit more slanted and the front deck larger to allow for the transport seats(there's minimal right angles on the MkV).
  • The top deck is the transport section of the boat is right behind the pilot and commander, it has a crew of 5 and can hold 16 seals in the seats behind the pilot.
  • The Zodiacs are great additions (seriously, very nice work) - the MkV can have up to four in its landing deck, but launched 1 at a time (although two can be launched at the same time), they stack the others and manually put them on the ramp after the initial one on the ramp deploys. Having four would be amazing but two is just as good IMHO.
  • Edit: the landing deck for zodiacs look just enough for two to be deployed/launched at the same time (see here)
  • Also on the Zodiacs, can you make them so they're retrievable / launched from behind the boat?
  • You'll need to reshape/create a radar mast like in the MkV photos.
  • The MkV has four gun mounts able to mount all of the following: Mk19, M240, M60, M134 (under its GAU-17 designation) and your AWESOME dual .50 caliber gun. You can make various version like your SOCR!
  • The dual .50s are awesome, on the MkV, the guns are closer together instead of being spread out like on the current Medium Assault Boat.
  • According to global security it has 5 mounts, I can only ID 4 though.
  • They also have a UAV launcher version while allowing the guns, only downside is that it only holds 2 zodiacs versus 4. But, again, if you could make it work, holy heck.

The transport seats are aligned in four rows of four behind the pilot and they're offset from each other every row. EG (each X is a seat):

--- pilot ---

_X_X_X_X

X_X_X_X_

_X_X_X_X

X_X_X_X_

-----------

Again you have the infrastructure already present! Let me know if I can be any more help.

Edited by SpectreRSG

Just to also bring something up, you cant destroy the large naval mine. I've placed 5 satchels on it, and it'll still be active; all mines are below the surface as well, I'm not an expert but isn't there some portion of the mine exposed on the surface? Will the damage to the mine rendering it inactive be fixed?

Edit:

Major bug found with the launch/retrieve Zodiacs... In a dedicated server environment, you have the option to retrieve the zodiacs, but when you do use that action, nothing happens except giving the Assault boat driver access to launch another zodiac (which doesn't launch anything); so, you cannot retrieve the zodiacs.

And they also made some serious FPS drops for other clients for some reason. Just approaching the boats created lag for many.

Edited by SpectreRSG

Just to also bring something up, you cant destroy the large naval mine. I've placed 5 satchels on it, and it'll still be active; all mines are below the surface as well, I'm not an expert but isn't there some portion of the mine exposed on the surface? Will the damage to the mine rendering it inactive be fixed?

Strange... armor value is 2. These have destrType = "DestructBuilding" meaning they should smoke and sink into the ground upon destruction. I haven't tested with satchel charges however... will have to play around with that to see what happens.

Major bug found with the launch/retrieve Zodiacs... In a dedicated server environment, you have the option to retrieve the zodiacs, but when you do use that action, nothing happens except giving the Assault boat driver access to launch another zodiac (which doesn't launch anything); so, you cannot retrieve the zodiacs.

And they also made some serious FPS drops for other clients for some reason. Just approaching the boats created lag for many.

Scripts are set to exit dedi servers, so I'm not sure why they arne't working. Will look at these as well.

Thanks for the feedback!

@hcpookie love your boats pack, any chance we might see any bigger boats in the future. Such as a patrol boat or bigger with deck guns mounted on them?

pookie, if you need other stuff tested please let me know. We really want to use your mod and really want to see a Mk5 SOC to go with the SOCR. If there's anything you need please PM.

All mines are below the surface as well, I'm not an expert but isn't there some portion of the mine exposed on the surface?

I'm not an great expert either although would depend upon the type. Your non-moored contact type I reckon would indeed. Although moored mines (whether with contact or sensor) I reckon going to be submerged. As they are tethered to an anchor (or something alike) and so cannot rise beyond that distance. Also as theres that principle that torpedoes went with regarding exploding near/under where the target is rather than actually hitting the target, as the waters displacement caused the ships to break thier backs. I guess also why have your mine visible upon surface to be detected via the eye when you can have the thing sitting submerged unseen to the eye.

And with mines I presume just as with buoys/cardinals/pots and similar its not an simple straight up always same distance thing either. What with low/high tides in neaps/springs. And the tides are dragging them which also then would drag them down (like when you move fast with an balloon on a string). Ever seen buoys within tides, an parent owns an yacht around lymington, some you can see the water rush over them as they struggle to stay above surface.

Majority the Royal Navies various marks over the years appeared to be moored ones, love this website; http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/index_weapons.htm

A quick test last night verifies satchels won't destroy them. Need a few days to sort it... Probably Fire Geo LOD issue.

Yes they float a few feet below the surface ;) The height-adjustable ones can go deeper. RL versions are usually moored below the waterline. Practical application in-game is that stormy waves make their fixed position very obvious.

Yes, but if you leave them under the waterline, they're damn near impossible to destroy? It just seems (IMHO) that due to the engine limitation they should have something poking out of the waterline (nothing crazy, just something barely noticeable) under calm conditions.

You can in fact see them with lights, clear skies, clear water, etc. if you're going slow and keeping watch. The shadow is another telltale in shallow water. Have fun in murky water or at fast speeds! :) The AI detection is set so that they don't really see them as a threat, otherwise the AI will always try to avoid them. Any attempt I tried to have them work in clear water made them look stupid in stormy water because of the "bounce" of the waves. They simply look like a big lollipop stuck in the sand! So the best solution I could think of is to keep them just under the surface of the water.

I set the "minefields" collections to have marker buoys around the perimeter, and the expectation is that mission makers will either add some sort of marker or provide explanation in the mission description.

Of course, you can always just drive a boat near them - they will be destroyed :) Actually now that I think about it the water drone would be a perfect "UWV" for such a task :) Hrm...

---------- Post added at 18:11 ---------- Previous post was at 17:41 ----------

Edit - adjusting the geometry doesn't seem to do the trick. Thought it was going to be a quick fix... I will have to look at this a bit more.