Sign in to follow this  
VectorX96

F-14D Super Tomcat

I just wanted to say that this is one of my favourite airplane addons so far just because I've always wanted to fly an F-14 ever since watching Top Gun as a kid. You've done a wonderful job with this, and I'm looking forward to your finished and polished project!

Abs

Thank you Abs if you love the one thats out already you might love the updated one soon to come

Just downloaded your F-14 and I'm in love! Such a beautiful model!

but with every good there is a little bad, found 2 bugs.

the first you can walk thru the nose of the plane.

http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/4480/arma2oa2012012416024363.png 752,69 KB picture

and the second i apologize for the crappy quality of this video but my internet is the suck and would have taken me an hour to upload this at full res. The wing lights dont follow the wing when they are swept

Edited by Foxhound
removed hotlinked image over 100kb

Yeah they are known bugs which i'm trying to figure out how to fix. The lights one to me seems more irritating. I dont think there is a way for the lights to follow with the wings. However thank you for bringing them up!

@BHCSAVAGE

There is a 100kb limit for posting pics. ;)

@VectorX96

Make sure the light memory points have the same selectionnames like the animated wings. It should work to have the very same points defined as 2 selections, one for the light and one for the anim.

For the collision detection, make sure your geo LOD is very simple, basically a bunch of cubes should do. It doesn't need to be very accurate in following resolution LOD's at all.

Just tried 1.0 out very quickly... And it gorgeous.. Very nice detail best of luck with completing it sir!!

Hey man got to have a bit more of a play with it last night and just thought I'd add a few ideas on how it could be improved. It would be good if the wing were automated to swing at certain speeds..... I gotta say the models really nicely done.. Its got that agressive "Hunched shoulders" look.. And I love the little detail of the greenish tint to the front window.... Only other suggestion I could make is to maybe ask J-dog for the fuel hose connection thing on his carrier.

Great stuff really glad to see one of my favourite birds given some love once again..

Will certainly have another play tonight...

Oh yeah didnt check.. do you have damping on the landing gear?

Cheers once again!!

Well, the automatic sweep is yet to come, I guess. Right now there is only the "oversweep" action where the wings are swept over the max position which is only used for storage in tiny aircraft carrier hangars.

You still have to consider that it's BETA and vector's list is already packed with things to do. :D

@wolfbite

The tomcat can accept fuel from the Nimitz either by opening the probe(non-realistic)

or by just pulling up aside. I put the required memory points to do this on the probe and just on the right side of the plane. I also do have damping but when i try to make it realistic the plane bounces erratically and just wont stop so i put the values in the opposite way to prevent this till i get around to it.

Hey im looking for some suggestions, should i merge the cockpits into one LOD, such as just one cargo LOD for the whole plane? Or should i keep the View Pilot and View Gunner LOD's seperate.

Edited by VectorX96

Make seperate LODs for better performance. You won't see the RIOs panel as pilot and vice versa. Use copy&paste (Guttenberg method).

As Jester said, keep separate LOD's for Pilot and Gunner. You can delete faces that aren't visible for them also to save a lot of polys. As example, those guys in the cockpit probably can't see the bottom of the plane.

Don't care about 3rd person view, first resolution LOD is used there.

Hey guy's Here's a sneak peek of Version 1.2 soon to come:

arma2OA_2012_01_28_17_13_21_384.jpg

Upside.jpg

Hope you like the screens, shes coming out beautifully atm but you all don't want to see the inside talk about ugly. I'm still working on the textures and new shadow volume the afterburner is almost in the right place. I'll probably work on the Interior cockpits some time next week and then ill show some screens of it then i plan on a release soon afterwards.

Is this gray camouflage should not be dull? Or at least less shiny?

I'm working on it Yac this is when i first applied the rvmat. Im going to play around with the specular power a bit.

You should reduce the brightness smdi and reduce shininess in rvmat.

Do you know how to create a good SMDI? Everyone i make comes out with blue in it and they normally don't look like that.

We would be happy if I can help on their skills.

Contact the PM - I go to sleep now I'm after a hard day's work. So if this F14 looks great cheers