Sign in to follow this  
ylli122

ArmA 3 Scripting

I wonder if ArmA 3 will have the same scripting language as ArmA 2 or maybe they will implement a new language? If they do implement a new language, maybe it will be based on C# or C++ (Preferably C#)?

What do you (the community) think?

Well, Surely C# would be better? And its easier for beginners. Maybe they should release an instruction manual or an e-book of some kind to teach us the implementation of Java. Lets discuss...

Well, Surely C# would be better? And its easier for beginners.

C# would also be my number one. Dunno if it is easier for beginners or not.

The only thing that makes me wonder is why BIS has chosen Java. I have found only one game so far (made around 2000, can't even remember its name) which uses Java as scripting engine (I am not talking about games completely made in Java like Minecraft or games/engines which support Javascript).

No other current game uses Java as scripting engine...

Maybe they should release an instruction manual or an e-book of some kind to teach us the implementation of Java. Lets discuss...

Just wait till the next Take On Helicopters patch, then we'll all know how it works.

Xeno

Thanks Xeno. If they decide to release such a manual and i can be bothered to learn Java and i have time off from my studies then ill see about maybe contributing to ACE for ArmA 3?! :D

Btw i first learnt C#, i think it was quite easy. Much better than Java i'd say. Nice to see a fellow programmer here in the forums. :D

They picked Java because it has its own engine that can take every scripting language and output it to the game? I don't know anything about scripting but that's roughly how I understand it haha :P

Edited by James2464

They picked Java because it has its own engine that can take every scripting language and output it to the game? I don't know anything about scripting but that's roughly how I understand it haha :P

hahaha its ok, dont worry. But to clarify it for you languages have compilers, which turn the code into binary for the CPU to use as instructions. Now if BIS has some sort of Java compiler which can compile code from any programming language into Java then into binary, it would be brilliant. Means, i dont need to learn Java. If not? Well, then life is tough. :)

The .NET VM has the same capabilities. I guess it's a choice based on preference, perhaps based on performance or other considerations.

My first choice would also be C#, but I think we can all agree that either would be a great addition and steps forward.

You are the perfect example of a person who posts without knowing anything about the subject.

I should make you a .JPG medal for that.

Until then:

facewall-summer448-16388318-508-487-jpg.72943

I think they chose Java because... you know... .NET kidna sucks.

Enjoy your day.

.NET is great. It gave rise to C# and a decent version of VB. I still am yet to to find a reason why BIS chose Java over C# or even VB ( even though VB is pretty stupid) .

Is it going to be another Java vs C# "discussion"?
Mine's bigger!

I hope not. I mean, i started this thread to find out if the claims were true. But, now i kinda wanna know why BIS chose Java. I mean, like most of us said, C# is much better. I dont mind using Java, i just wanna know the reasons. At least they're keeping SQF though. :)

Oh, and post any scripting ideas for ArmA 3 on this thread people, maybe someone will create them when the game comes out. !! :D

I understand "better" means "I prefer"? Otherwise what makes C# much better than Java especially when we're talking about scenarios coding?

Most probably there will be linux version of dedicated server - are there mature .NET or whatever is needed to interpret C# on linux?

C# is so much more powerful than Java, plus is easier to use and understand. I haven't much experience with Java. But, from what I've done C# is just easier to use. Maybe to you its the contrary. But, no more arguments about what is better. ACE and some including me think C# is better. Others think Java is more appropriate. Everyone has their own opinion on languages.

Most probably there will be linux version of dedicated server - are there mature .NET or whatever is needed to interpret C# on linux?

There is, it's called Mono and is widely used in the gaming industry. For example Second Life or the Unity engine :)

See also: http://tirania.org/blog/archive/2011/Mar-07.html

Though, it really doesn't matter as long as there is something better than sqf :p

Xeno

maybe they've seen the following drama:

H7QVITAWdBQ

;)

Where did you find that video!! Brilliant! Epic! Fantastic!

Like I said, people have their own opinions about which is better for them. For me, its C#. But its not the same for all. I did not want to start an argument thread, but oh well!

:D :D :D :D

This new development works in my favor, i just started using Java in my programming course :D

But I also wonder, why Java exactly? I would prefer (as others said) C#, or maybe python or perl? I wonder if Java's API and library will be integrated into Arma scripting?

Maybe they choose the JAVA because it is the most popular language. They can employ java developers for scripting.

Even so the JAVA VM is not the best for C++ engine because it's have a big communication overhead. What about squirel, anglescript?

The Java VM, as well as Mono, both are able to run Python (and Ruby, and a couple of other languages).

However languages like Python and Ruby should have more performance overhead than Java or C#.