Sign in to follow this  
bigshotking

OA Road MLODs coming soon?

Well, I've decided to try my hand at map making again, this time it seems to be going much smoother since I've read up on the newly updated tutorials. It seems even after around 6 months or so after leaving the map making scene, the OA road MLODs are still not here! I would love to make a map for OA with the roads, buildings, etc. but all I got to work with are A2 roads, which would not work well with the terrain and setting.

I did some searching and found this post here but it don't see where the supposed fix to the problem can be downloaded or found.

Can anyone shine some light on this? I would love to enter my map for the Map Making Competition!

Thanks in advance,

-Bigshot

P.S. can anyone send me the link to the Map Makers skype channel? It a great place to pick at peoples minds and get tips and help!

Edited by bigshotking

It seems even after around 6 months or so after leaving the map making scene, the OA road MLODs are still not here!

Are you sureabout that? Have you installed the 2.5.1 Tools?

Hmmm never dawned on me to check for a new version of BI Tools, thank you good sir!

I will do a fresh install of the tools in the morning! I hope that also means that some nice OA roads that are available for use!

EDIT: Do I need to do a fresh install on the documentation it says that it just installs over the old files. So is it fine to just do that, or do I need to uninstall everything, restart, re-install, restart?

Edited by bigshotking

It's usually a good idea to uninstall, reinstall... although it's not an absolute requirement the main reason is that during the install of the tools when it comes to asking which drive letter you'd like your build environment mapped too if you already have the p:\ drive mapped it'll not let you select this letter again. There are ways around that but it's just easier to uninstall then reinstall.

Either way you'll loose user specific settings for things like O2/V3/BinPBO etc.

Ok, I guess I'll have to reinstall again.

One more question though, is there a new version of Arma2p so that I can extract all the pbo's to the P:\ drive? Since the new roads_e are added, I don't want them to get over written if Arma2p extracts the original PBO

Ok, I guess I'll have to reinstall again.

One more question though, is there a new version of Arma2p so that I can extract all the pbo's to the P:\ drive? Since the new roads_e are added, I don't want them to get over written if Arma2p extracts the original PBO

Ofcourse... He may be a of the underarmmous-bowlerous species but he's not slow off the mark... ArmA2P - :).

Thankyou for the help, sorry if it seems that I'm asking stupid questions.

But I would like to end this topic with one last question... Is the Map Making Skype channel still up?

Is the Map Making Skype channel still up?

I suppose so... dunno what the channel name is though...

is there a new version of Arma2p so that I can extract all the pbo's to the P:\ drive? Since the new roads_e are added, I don't want them to get over written if Arma2p extracts the original PBO

it's called arma2p.2.51 *that* might be a clue :D

For some reason I'm feeling like I did install 2.51 .... but don't recall ever finding the OA roads .......

Where does the install tool dump the files normally?

Thanks, MLODs are there, two sub directories, Roads and Runway

Just gotta add the data files from depbo'ing the game files.

I noticed Sidewalks subdirectory isn't there, will have to add that too.

Yeah I also noticed that the data files for OA roads and OA runways was not included with the install. Weird

If you install the latest tools, followed by the latest Arma2P, it should unpack all the appropriate data files to match both the OA and PMC roads - and everything else as well...

B

Well the thing about that is that I move the pre-installed ca folder contents out of there, because I didn't know if it was going to delete or overwrite the files.

Arma2P will wipe your P:\CA folder and rebuild it - that's essentially what it does... It's pretty smart though... it won't touch user created stuff on P:\ at all (though of course having a backup is always a good idea)... It also knows about those special mlod format roadparts, and it'll shift them out of the way while it establishes P:\CA, then move them back in again afterwards... As a final bonus (not required for Gnat ;)), it'll make you a "configs-only" CA folder - (in P:\WRP_PROJECTS)... if you copy that "CA" folder to your "namespace" - (eg: - P:\Bush\Ca), then all your doors and ladders will work for any project contained in P:\Bush\...

This works for subfolders too, by the way... so that one "configs-only" CA folder in my P:\Bush\ namespace directory will also ensure working ladders and doors even if my actual island is somewhere like "P:\Bush\MiscTerrains\StrangeNewWorlds\project"...

B

Yeah, I saw the CA with all the configs, and i move it to my workspace. Now on to figuring which road pieces are which! :)

lol .... always found that pissing about with config files and workspaces the hard way of doing the setup.

.... you's will be converted to my (easier) way of doing things eventually ;)

..... then it won't matter cuz ArmA3 will be here lol

Gnat;2089791'].... you's will be converted to my (easier) way of doing things eventually ;)

Multiply your way (i think someone at BIS probably thought it up before you ;)) by several seperate mod's + upteen one-off compilations and tell me your way is easy to keep in some semblance of ordered sanity. It's fine & valid to build everything from the root of your P:\ drive using the 'P:\<YourTag>_<YourPBOName>\...' method but once you start building across multiple config.cpp/model.cfg branches it can quickly turn to mustard.

It's difficult enough trying to bug-fix someone's build attempt remotely only to find that binarize has parsed someone's obseqeous config.cpp from some deep folder because they're using P:\ as the root instead of P:\<YourTag>\ as the root.

Don't get me wrong though... For the new people & people who are never intending to work on anything other than there own stuff the BIS preferred build method is fine.

Sorry to jump on the bandwagon Gnat but both build methods have there pros & cons and are appropriate for differing use-case senarios in my opinion.

Latest tools install + arma2p should be "one click" install and done.

If there are problems, report them to mikero.

Fair point Synide, but I'd think a mod the size of I44 would still be fine sitting in P drive. Worst case its several dozen folders.

But its not the name-space so much that raises my interest, it the weird and wounderful method people have to re-arrange their CA config files. I believe it all came about because someone way way back in the beginnings of time had trouble with ladders ..... and their weird reshuffle that fluked a result was how they got around it.

All I say, leave every config.cpp where it depbo's, then just unRap those files, keep both. I've never had a need to dulicate elsewhere .....

Until 1 of your builders drops another folder + config's into P:\ that's completely unrelated to your mod then binarize will parse that too.

That was me mate... I convinced a number of people back in '07 to use this build method primarily because a group of us were building for several different mods and groups of people all at the same time off of our P:\ drives.

It became a nightmare. So, I analyzed the hell of it all and came up with a solution that was actually very manageable, at least from our perspective. The upshot was that you were safe in the knowledge that when your root was 'P:\MOD1\...\' you knew that binarize was only going to go looking for config.cpp's inside the 'P:\MOD1\...\' namespace.

The next day when you were working on 'P:\MOD2\...\' again you were safe from 'config' contamination from 'P:\MOD1'. And, so on.

It wasn't much todo with ladders at all. But, more todo with class inheritance and keeping a sane demarcation between entire ecosystems of config's, similar but subtly different models, scripts & other resource data.

Myself and a number of others were using this method to build and getting great results but most importantly, high reliability and consistency.

In mid 2008 there were soooo many people struggling with build stuff I basically got sick and tied of seeing every 2nd thread in these forums relating to build issues. So I whiped out a document to try and get across a reliable method.

Your weird and wonderful from my point of view is practical and prudent.

While you've never had a need... I and many others have had a need.

I could set it up my way in less than a minute on anyone's machine and with LinkShell it's even easier, ya don't even need to copy anything anywhere.

Bare in mind too that your 'easier' does not necessarily equate to 'better'.

Both our methods have valid uses.

Unfortunately, I guess I'll never be able to convert you to the 'dark-side' of the force - :)

It wasn't much todo with ladders at all. But, more todo with class inheritance and keeping a sane demarcation between entire ecosystems of config's, similar but subtly different models, scripts & other resource data.

hmmmmm, Can't picture that problem, so I'll just take your word for it.

Unfortunately, I guess I'll never be able to convert you to the 'dark-side' of the force - :)

lol .... well my "side" is just fine for my small scale 1-man rebellion ;)