Sign in to follow this  
fredkatz

AI Heli Control 1.0

Commands to fly at different heights

no way, i always wanted that ,,does that really work??? is it possible to modify the heli heights? i only saw the screenies in this thread, like 100m max. for heli. would it be possible to put a slider in there like 0-1000m , so you fly high with AI and do halo into mission zone?? Edited by Fruity_Rudy

no way, i always wanted that ,,does that really work??? is it possible to modify the heli heights? i only saw the screenies in this thread, like 100m max. for heli. would it be possible to put a slider in there like 0-1000m , so you fly high with AI and do halo into mission zone??

Yes way!

To set the helicopter height you use the command;

helo flyinheight 100

Where 100 is the height you want and helo is the helicopter. The addon allows you to do this from the action menu. Great for preparing to fastrope!

ah i have to use the code? i Know that from editing. I thought i simply press the buttons in the UI dialog , i have to check it out when i'm home..sounds really superb..

edit: just tried it, looks good, but could you explain the correct order of making him land correctly on marker?

i did:

1. action menu --> waypoint, click on map heliLZ

2. selected pilot , told him to fly there

3. on the way i selected combat insertion , nothing happend ..1 min later the blue text popped up but he did not land on that LZ

I'll try again, but it's awesome how do i get the dialog like in post #34 ?

Edited by Fruity_Rudy

ah i have to use the code? i Know that from editing. I thought i simply press the buttons in the UI dialog , i have to check it out when i'm home..sounds really superb..

edit: just tried it, looks good, but could you explain the correct order of making him land correctly on marker?

i did:

1. action menu --> waypoint, click on map heliLZ

2. selected pilot , told him to fly there

3. on the way i selected combat insertion , nothing happend ..1 min later the blue text popped up but he did not land on that LZ

I'll try again, but it's awesome how do i get the dialog like in post #34 ?

No, forget the bit about the code - I just confused you!

New Version Released! :yay:

Update is in first post!

Quick Changelog:

----------------

Added the dialogs that were seen in the last 2 pages

Added compatibility with ACE Interaction Menus

For Non ACE users, added the dialogs to a interaction like menu for no extra clutter in the action menu - also a userconfig file to set the key

Added a AI compatible slingrope - set the flyheight to 9 meters and place the vehicle under the heli and select the attach slingrope button

Edited by fredkatz
Added Changelog

what has been changed? And could you maybe explain how to use it? I'm a bit confused about the order, how to set waypoint, make him fly and stuff..

Well stone the crows it's in the readme:

Version 1.2

-----------------

-Added a dialog to control helicopters

-Added a dialog to control airplanes

-For ACE Users added the dialogs to the self interaction menu

-For Non ACE Users can change the key in the Heli_Extras_Settings.hpp Userconfig file (default is Left Windows Key) - if no key is selected, it will default to Left Windows

I can't wait to try this tonight with the fast-roping mod.

OK I must be missing something here because I can't get it to work.

The main problem seems to be that I cannot ever select a helicopter from the drop-down menu entitled "select heli".

Do you have to do something in particular? Or does the mission have to be specially coded?

I can talk to helis/aircraft in my team, but here is an idea.... be able to direct OTHER non-team helis/aircraft on the battlefield. Possible?

@Foxhound Thanks!

@domokun Do you have any helicopters in your squad, or are they other AI helicopters? At the moment the system only works on helicopters in your team/squad. In the future I would like to add support for all AI controlled helicopters on your side to be available for control.

@Kremator It is a future feature, but I have been busy with classes and not much free time to work on it, but I am still working on it when I get the chance.

Cheers Fred. Certainly opening it up to all AI helis/aircraft would give humans a hard, but rewarding experience.

Have you thought of a 'patrol' option where a series of waypoints could be followed in a cycle (as in ON STATION, CAP etc)

This is a very exciting project and if I can help in any way, please ask (although I can't code for toffee :) )

fredkatz: thanks for the info. No I don't think that the helicopter was in our squad. So that makes sense then. Maybe you should add this msall btu important detail to your readme. I also think that Kremator's suggestion is awesome though it would inevitably unbalance many missions.

I'm not too sure how it would imbalance the mission - as we aren't using it (YET!) as an attack mechanism :)

Being a FAC would be an awesome addition, but we can just wait to see what fred can come up with. Whatever it is, I'm looking forward to release!

Dumb question... how to open the menu/dialog? i get nothing in action menu from your test mission

I can open the dialog on SP, local host, but not on dedi :(

You need to change the key Katipo. It's in the readme.

Hey fredkatz,

I think there must be something wrong with the script version. I can order the helicopter to take off, but after that it becomes unresponsive - it won't even respond to normal 'move' actions. I think it may have got stuck in a loop which is keeping it at it's current position as it's slightly 'jittery' like when you move a helicopter manually using script. I tried it in both the Vanilla and ACE versions using your demo mission.

Actually, just tried the script version and can confirm Jedra's findings. It waits for one action to complete before doing anything else.

Actually, just tried the script version and can confirm Jedra's findings. It waits for one action to complete before doing anything else.

Just checked the code, and after a START ENGINES action it then waits for a DUST OFF. Once you have performed the Dust Off it seems to work. My apologies.

Ok i deciphered that 219=the "left windows" key... how could i miss something so friggn obvious!

I can open the dialog on SP, local host, but not on dedi :(

which dialog do you mean? I can open it up on dedi .i don't understand??

Is it possible to set up a sort of combat insertion? What I mean is (before you get there) telling the pilot to land at a designated LZ, then immediately take off once all occupants are disembarked in one command? This would be perfect. I think giving the AI pilot multiple commands as you're trying to manage your own squad of infantry would be quite a challenge.

If I install this on my dedicated server or mission would the clients connecting need the mod as well? Would they be able to join and/or use the script without installing it in their game? I think if it's mission-based then it'd work but if it's addon based it doesn't?