Sign in to follow this  
W0lle

Cold War Rearmed² : Demo³

I checked the Nogova fountain twice already, it has no missing texture. Looks just fine in Buldozer preview. Also our packing tool wouldn't pack it when there's a missing texture. Not sure now what the problem is but we'll eliminate it.

Adding window lights and chimney smoke is a boring job to do and can only be done on 'our' buildings at all. If the building in use is from A2 then there's nothing we can do except replacing the model.

Good idea with the concealment. :)

Lamp lighting poles are not on at night on all islands except Nogova.

scaled.php?server=825&filename=arma2oa2012090500005923.jpg&res=landing

TPW has an excellent lighting script.

IIRC it automatically adds lights in random houses.

Better still it's VERY configurable.

Maybe that script could be added.

In the editor, i can't place unit, the small tabs for choosing unit type and group don't work.

Works fine here for me and many other mission creators, obviously.

Screenshot please, and information what other Mods you are using.

TPW has an excellent lighting script.

IIRC it automatically adds lights in random houses.

Better still it's VERY configurable.

Maybe that script could be added.

Would be worth an attempt. I gonna find that guy and talk with him. :)

Lamp lighting poles are not on at night on all islands except Nogova.

On the other island we use the light poles from OA or A2. I'm not sure though if that problems exists on Takistan too. If not then it's definitely a problem on our side.

On the other island we use the light poles from OA or A2. I'm not sure though if that problems exists on Takistan too. If not then it's definitely a problem on our side.

That problems exists on utes and Chernarus. On Takistan it's fine. https://dev-heaven.net/issues/16464

Re-checked CWR2 water fountains on Nogova in A2OA: Mirov, Neveklov, Loukov and Lipany (2x) - they all appear only with a light blue texture unlike the transparent water texture of fountains on Everon. Btw instead of including TPW houslights incl. its shortcomings and requirements what about just adding few wooden lamp post (dim light) here and there? :)

Re-checked CWR2 water fountains on Nogova in A2OA: Mirov, Neveklov, Loukov and Lipany (2x) - they all appear only with a light blue texture unlike the transparent water texture of fountains on Everon.

This confusion is entirely my fault.... :o .....

I added a sneaky separate "water object" to the Everon & Malden fountains and forgot to tell anyone..... :D

The streetlights are a tricky one... they DO actually "light the area", but there's no actual visible light source - same odd behaviour as the default Arma 2 ones...

I'm not sure exactly how we'll address that issue... Wolle's decision.....

I had a little go with TPW's houselights... Clever! I used the basic addon version with default configuration... it picked out around 200 houses/structures on Malden suitable for illumination and, after an initial startup nanodelay while it did so, it seemed to work without issues from then on... added some nice extra lighting to a lot of the enterable buildings!

Adding windowlights, chimneysmoke, civ spawn points, etc......

This is a tricky compromise problem....

As everyone knows, we use a lot of "Arma 1" buildings in CWR2... in a lot of cases, those buildings are actually basically enhanced versions of original OFP structures - which is why we favour them of course - they're as close as we can get to the originals.

Better still, BIS did at least have a go at providing "backward compatibility" to Arma 1 when they designed Arma 2... they're not used on Cherno/Utes, so it's easy to miss them, but default Arma 2 does actually include a whole selection of original Arma 1 objects!

That's handy for us for several reasons...

Firstly we can draw those structures directly from the stock model selection - that makes our own Models .pbo's considerably smaller - always a Good Thing.

Secondly, BIS did at least nominally "upgrade" the Arma 1 stuff they included in Arma 2 to "Arma 2 standards" - they added Civilian spawn points to some houses, for example, enhanced the destruction models here and there...

It wasn't exactly a thorough job though, and they didn't bother with windowlights, chimneysmoke etc...

They also didn't include ALL the buildings models, so other stuff, like Barns, Fuelstations, etc we had to recreate ourselves - so technically we DO have control over those models - we could add chimneysmoke and civ spawning, etc to them, but... they're barns and fuelstations! - don't really want chimneysmoke on those types of buildings!

And.... the buildings where we would want enhancements like that - civilian residential houses, etc - they're mostly stock models so - we can't actually edit them!

Most annoying!.. But the only practical way around that is to basically include new versions of all those structures into our own Buildings Pack - then we could edit them how we like.....

But that's a Big Job, for a Small Return...

B

Hehe just add this sneaky separate "water object" to all CWR2 islands (except winter ones they could be empty or with ice/snow). As for TPW houselights shortcomings are that they will lit up things that don't have a light"bulb" source eg magic light on those iron stairs over oil pipeline + in mp people do see different lights at same location (sync problem). Guess its easier to place some wooden lamp post, check if they are working + can be switched off by a bullet or two. ;) Btw the M1A1 Abrams tank does have a bug where you can see the tracks through solid material (well known A1 bug - fixable).

The BIS models use a marker light for the "orb". Look at the train track crossing lights as one example (in MISC3 as I recall).

You might also want to check out the MLODs in my light poles addon:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?132456-Light-Tower-Addon

I have a static stadium light with all the light fixture stuff... it is basically a headlight to give that "light orb" effect.

Btw the M1A1 Abrams tank does have a bug where you can see the tracks through solid material (well known A1 bug - fixable).

Send me PM please with details on how to fix that, maybe I can do that sometime soon. :)

hcpookie

Expect another PM from me soon lol

W0lle, I have to ask, CWR2 is a great mod, but there are some, well not errors, but but incorrects when it comes to realism of vehicles. For example the M1A1 model, based on BIS model that is completely incorrect with reality. For example gun barrel, commander cupola and machine gun mount as well as lack on your model, storage boxes mounted on turret sides. IMHO currently the most realistic models are these of Mateck and ACE2 team.

Perhaps You could ask Mateck if he could give permission to use his models, especially that besides M1A1 there is also original M1, both are realistic model, and both would give some more options for mission makers in editor?

Just my thoughts.

There is a point where we must stop porting / cleaning up / redoing / replacing whole addons to improve the look of a few details. I'm not saying no, but I am saying that I personally would not be thrilled to learn that I have yet another weeks long modelling / configing task to adapt someone else's work to our mod. These things don't just plug in and run. At some point, we have to call it good enough.

This mod isn't a realism mod, unfortunately, and while we do like to be as accurate as possible, our primary goal isn't to replicate reality. Our goal is to recreate OFP, and any outlying side quests now are quite frankly obstacles to completing it.

Yes, this is a fair point, but it can be done sometime in future as a small patch, if there of course be such possibility. :)

BTW FYI OFP had extremely inaccurate gear/vehicles, so I'm all for ditching realism in favor of the "OFP feeling".(and I'm a realism whore) But while realism matters, OFP feel > anything. I'm sure many OFP players will say the same=)

There is a point where we must stop porting / cleaning up / redoing / replacing whole addons to improve the look of a few details. I'm not saying no, but I am saying that I personally would not be thrilled to learn that I have yet another weeks long modelling / configing task to adapt someone else's work to our mod. These things don't just plug in and run. At some point, we have to call it good enough.

This mod isn't a realism mod, unfortunately, and while we do like to be as accurate as possible, our primary goal isn't to replicate reality. Our goal is to recreate OFP, and any outlying side quests now are quite frankly obstacles to completing it.

Max is just mad hes been having to fix my shit, arent you bro?

There weren't many issues. There's some things I decided not to fix unless we get bug reports but I think yours was one of the more complete sets we got. There was one weird issue that took some research to find. But porting stuff is kind of a thankless task because you're not only fixing your own errors you might make naturally, but also someone else's... and that requires a lot of research. You have a behaviour you have to find that is related to files you're not familiar with, so it requires a lot of pulling stuff apart and experimenting to figure out what's going on. There was a problem I was trying to fix, for example, in one of your objects where the thing never appeared in shadow. After basically remodeling several LODs, rewriting the rvmats, and examining the textures, I found that it was because a texture wasn't named _co. Porting is seldom a cake walk.

Edited by Max Power