Sign in to follow this  
maruk

Please share your 1.60 impressions

A hell lot of work has been put into 1.60 patch and as much as I was (rather) sceptical about completely ironing the distant units warping, BIS really done it. Incredible.

Overall, very smooth and with lot better, sneakier AI, they're pretty decent challange now.

( is it me or does the AI actually simulating on being dead?? )

Also loving the extras throwned in, like Ai dropping their weapons when shot, nice addition for further immersion.

Need to test some more but seems like my avatar also no longer stands up while crowling near rocks or obstackles alike. Another great fix ( I must say finally, here, though :p )

All in all, great stuff and BIG step forward indeed. I hope patch 1.60 will get the well deserved attention from players that might have turned out their backs before this patch as it really brought what was promised.

Well done

Much looking forward what will be the next step!

TY BIS :)

Has anyone else noticed the clock indicator to be nearly useless? I am forced to look at the map for enemy contacts not to turn around 360° to try and find them. Direction is always messed up my 2-3 "hours", I mean when my team mates report something at 12 o' clock it will be in a range from 9,30 to 2,30 o'clock.

Can anyone tell me if this patch updates standalone A2 as well ? with AI improvements.

I have CO but find performance better in Chernarus with A2 on its own ...thanks.

Disable ATOC in OA and your performance should be basically the same.

Has anyone else noticed the clock indicator to be nearly useless? I am forced to look at the map for enemy contacts not to turn around 360° to try and find them. Direction is always messed up my 2-3 "hours", I mean when my team mates report something at 12 o' clock it will be in a range from 9,30 to 2,30 o'clock.

IMO the clock has always been problematic, it seems to be relative to a direction that's not clearly defined. Either the current travel direction, or the current leader direction, or the player direction, seems to be a little hazy. In that respect, I haven't noticed much difference, probably because I only pay a small amount of notice to it.

I've long campaigned for a more defined & controllable method, my suggestion would be:

1. Leader-placed temp waypoint.

2. Next group waypoint direction.

3. Direction of travel over last 100m.

4. Direction leader faces.

in that order of priority.

You did a great job, really. Especially on the warping (it was the most important problem according to me).

....Overall, very smooth and with lot better, sneakier AI, they're pretty decent challange now.

( is it me or does the AI actually simulating on being dead?? )

Also loving the extras throwned in, like Ai dropping their weapons when shot, nice addition for further immersion.

Need to test some more but seems like my avatar also no longer stands up while crowling near rocks or obstackles alike. Another great fix ( I must say finally, here, though :p )

Haven't noticed any of the above said...

They lose now their weapons and simulatiing beeing dead?

Reinstalled Arma2 to try out the new patch - hugely impressed by the near total absence of multiplayer lag/warping and even more so by the evident improvements in enemy AI. Been having a real blast playing Insurgency against these sneaky buggers! Brilliant work, BIS!

Anybody else seen vehicles and inf sliding sideways ?

It's not always in the far distance either :)

would be nice to have repro mission for that and CIT ticket

I reinstalled the whole game to test it. Some good stuff here, but I started Harvest Red again (combined ops), and in the Utes church cutscene at the very beginning I had a disappearing guy right in front of me and a flying APC...

Then with Normal Post Processing, I seem to see everything twice as blured as I remember it : not only things far away, but also close to me. This combined with AO and it makes a sort of splotchy noise on the grass... So I turned PostProcess back to low as usual and I'm a happy camper.

Hello guys, just want to ask after applying the 1.60 patch for OA, do I still need AI mods to make the game play a little bit fair on both sides? I am using ASR_AI so the AI won't headshot me with their laser gun since I only play arma2 on Expert difficulty ( What Arma2 feels best on this one, compass and the map comes into play ).

Also, how ACE2 works with the official missions now(patch 1.60)? I had some problem before where ACE seems will break some scripts, for instances, Russia leader in EW won't lead the guys to the harbour and in Harvest Red after I destroyed some tanks the mission won't end.

hmm not infantry.

But I see tanks drifting ( turning sideways when trying to slow down).

Drifting tanks has always been in arma. Funny when a BMP3 is flying down a road and tries to make a sharp turn and goes skidding into a bank of trees and flips.

Also, how ACE2 works with the official missions now(patch 1.60)? I had some problem before where ACE seems will break some scripts, for instances, Russia leader in EW won't lead the guys to the harbour and in Harvest Red after I destroyed some tanks the mission won't end.

For ACE and original campaign/missions, you should probably use the addon to disable the vehicle damage system, for the triggers to work etc;

http://ace.dev-heaven.net/wagn/Vehicle_Damage_System

(Link in Notes).

would be nice to have repro mission for that and CIT ticket

Here is the ticket :)

See if it is reproducible for you

Drifting tanks has always been in arma. Funny when a BMP3 is flying down a road and tries to make a sharp turn and goes skidding into a bank of trees and flips.

hehe yeah i saw that happen :D

Edited by PurePassion

@sickboy

Thanks for the heads up, gonna try it out, not to mention that ACE2 is awesome!

@Dwarden

Devs keep supporting their games is one of the reason why I will buy arma3 day one, keep going guys! you guys are great!

Sickboy - thanks for the ATOC tip...

What the hell did you do to the AI :yay::yay::yay:

They engage from waaaaaaay further out - my men are actually useful and the enemy are monstrously good ! Im a happy bunny. Thanks BIS

i updated the AToC and FXAA description on BIKI to include the detail when it's disabled and when enabled :)

This has happened on and off with me in the past, seems to be happening again. Scenery microstutters whilst driving vehicles or flying. I have searched for the solution but no joy. Thanks...

I tried MP a few times before but warping and rubberbanding always put me off so I spend most of my time playing around in the editor and with mods. This Patch has changed this! I played quite a lot MP in the last days and I simply love it!

I also restarted the original Arma 2 Harvest Red campaign and the AI is way better than last time I played it (1.54 I think).

@cartier90: Your best bet would be a SSD or a RAM-Disk. If that's not an option make sure your HDD is always properly defragged. Also read this: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=128100

Thanks derby I defragged , fine while flying but still the same for vehicles.

The AI is very impressive - particularly from own team members, nice not to have to do all the work.

I have that problem too. I get some kind of micro stutter when driving. It seems as if sometimes the Hi Res LODs don´t load properly even if I stand in Front of the Object (usually a bush or a soldier). Funny thing is that it happens only in old Arma 2 Missions (including harvest Red) but not in MP or in the Editor. (7500RPM drive, defraged). Since using 1.60 I also get game freezes from time to time. I´m really thinking of doing a complete fresh install

I´m really thinking of doing a complete fresh install

Me too. Haven´t done this since i buyed OA --> CO.

Windows says : Installed at 31.05.2011