Rydygier

HETMAN - Artificial Commander

For HAC users: What is the maximum number of simultaneously used by you Leaders?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. For HAC users: What is the maximum number of simultaneously used by you Leaders?

• Only one
    • Two
    • Three
    • Four of them
    • Five
    • Six
    • Seven
    • All eight!

I can see this thread needing its own unit array thread similar to DAC.

The thing i find interesting about using this is i feel i dont need to use any AI respawn scripts like i always want to, i like the idea off the commanders only using whats placed on the map.

Maybe something that might be useful is some sort of bodydetect option, as this might influence some commanders decisions?

What i like about it is its unpredictable... they do not all just charge forward, feels very unique

Edited by Katipo66

Maybe something that might be useful is some sort of bodydetect option, as this might influence some commanders decisions?

You mean detection of dead body? It probably is to be done via command selectBestPlaces. Even will not need much change. I must only consider whether the presence of dead bodies should in some way affect the decisions of the commander ... Separate thread for arrays with classnames? If this addon proves popular enough - why not? I will also add prepared arrays to new versions of HAC.

I reckon 6 pages in 2 days shows its pretty popular :)

I have been playing around with this, trying to get it into the VTS (virtual training system) but it doesnt work that well. I think the reason is that it expects to have everything setup at the beginning of the mission (or I'm doing something wrong). You see I can create everything I need for the mission (commanders, HQs, forces etc) but as they are placed during the game nothing moves. Having the ability to place all the forces, then the HQs and finally the commanders (in that order), then the commanders start doing their stuff would be great!

How would the commanders handle 'on-the-fly' created forces?

Edited by Kremator

You mean detection of dead body?
yeah, but maybe i didnt think it through, as potentially there could be dead bodys all over the map!
If this addon proves popular enough....

I think it will be, it feels like someone is finally trying to put the SIM in simulation, thats the missing piece to this great game :D

I think the reason is that it expects to have everything setup at the beginning of the mission (or I'm doing something wrong). You see I can create everything I need for the mission (commanders, HQs, forces etc) but as they are placed during the game nothing moves. Having the ability to place all the forces, then the HQs and finally the commanders (in that order), then the commanders start doing their stuff would be great!

Well, yes. Recklessly in RydHQInit.sqf I used "if (isNil (" leaderHQ ")) exitwith {};" instead waituntil ... In the next version this will be changed, but for now there are two possibilities:

To stop initialization script to the appearance of the commander and / or its objective, using a variable RydHQ_Wait (eg RydHQ_Wait = 300 gives 5 minutes), or use a script version of the HAC and init script RydHQInit.sqf by "nul = [] execVM "RydHQInit.sqf" only when everything is ready. You can even automate this with a separate init code:

waituntil {sleep 1;not ((isNil ("leaderHQ")) or (isNil ("leaderHQB")))};
nul = [] execVM "RydHQInit.sqf;

or something similar.

How would the commanders handle 'on-the-fly' created forces?

In each cycle, commander checks to see if and what allied and known enemy units are on the map, so will discover new units in the next cycle.

---------- Post added at 16:44 ---------- Previous post was at 16:40 ----------

I think it will be, it feels like someone is finally trying to put the SIM in simulation, thats the missing piece to this great game :D

Indeed. This is exactly my goal. :)

EDIT: @Kremator: "(commanders, HQs, forces etc)" In this addon leader and HQ is the same. You need one unit named leaderHQ and that's it. However, objective very enlivens a simulation (object, eg the empty trigger, named RydHQ_Obj). Similarly for the other side of the conflict, if necessary, and that's all.

Edited by Rydygier

Thanks, I know about high command but I find that it's less intuitive than CEX and missions with it tend to progress at a fast pace. Though James McKenzie-Smith's great HC template does fix these issues a bit.

What i like about it is its unpredictable... they do not all just charge forward, feels very unique

+1

Great work.

Im very impressed, thank you for sharing your hard work.

Since i've spent the last couple of hours watching a battle fought using this addon i thought i would share my experience to give people an idea of what this addon can create!

So This is how it started

arma2oa2011122317570590.jpg

The USMC were the only chaps under the control of the AI commander. Immediately the commander sent out 3 Recce groups (Two Delta Force, and one Sniper group) to three areas surrounding the Main Obj.

Some time after, the Recce groups came under contact at the village north west of the main Obj. The enemy at the Kabanino consisted of 3 infantry groups and two T90s. HAC moved around 5 infantry groups and 4 armoured units to the area as well as one chooper.

The Infantry and air support were sent into the town while the flanks were covered by the armoured units. I was impressed with the behaviour of the armoured units as they stayed out of the built up areas while the engaged thier targets. As the last remnants of the enemy force was cleared up HAC moved the majority of the Reserves into the town, with most of the armour still holding the outsides of the "front line"

Nows here's the bit i found very clever. Once the smaller town was taken HAC sent 5 infantry groups into the Main objective and one group round the rear. At first i was worred since i remembered there were two T90s sitting in the center of the town, however it soon became clear the air support from earlier on had also taken care of it so there was no reason to send armour into the village.

Then HAC very cleverly (i guess) moved all of its reserves to Kabanino, this ensured that should the first assault go badly the reserves would get to the AO in a quicker time!

Watching it all unfold using the debug function and the camera.sqs was very intresting and exciting. Again thank you for sharing this as im sure this will keep me (and no doubt a lot more peeps) busy for ages.

Thanks

Steve

Watching it all unfold using the debug function and the camera.sqs was very intresting and exciting. Again thank you for sharing this as im sure this will keep me (and no doubt a lot more peeps) busy for ages.
Thanks for that demonstration Steve.

That's what Ive been seeing. :-) But I'm still having a hard time running debug, and I cant figure out how to so a camera. Steve Could you post that mission on here.

Here are some configs so far:

RHQ_LArmor = ["M2A3_EP1"];

RHQ_Snipers = ["US_Soldier_Marksman_EP1","USMC_SoldierS_Sniper","USMC_SoldierS_SniperH","USMC_SoldierS_Spotter"];

RHQ_Inf =

["US_Soldier_SL_EP1","US_Soldier_AR_EP1","US_Soldier_Medic_EP1","US_Soldier_AAR_EP1","US_Soldier_AMG_EP1","US_Soldier_MG_EP1","US_Soldier_TL_EP1

","TK_Soldier_SL_EP1","TK_Soldier_EP1","TK_Soldier_B_EP1","TK_Soldier_LAT_EP1","TK_Soldier_AT_EP1","TK_Soldier_AA_EP1",

"TK_Soldier_AAT_EP1","TK_Soldier_AMG_EP1","TK_Soldier_HAT_EP1","TK_Soldier_AR_EP1","TK_Soldier_Engineer_EP1","TK_Soldier_GL_EP1","TK_Soldier_MG_

EP1","TK_Soldier_Medic_EP1"];

RHQ_ATInf = ["US_Soldier_AHAT_EP1","US_Soldier_LAT_EP1","US_Soldier_HAT_EP1","US_Soldier_AT_EP1"];

RHQ_Air = ["UH60M_EP1"];

RHQ_HArmor = ["T72_TK_EP1","T55_TK_EP1","M1A1_US_DES_EP1","M1A2_US_TUSK_MG_EP1"];

RHQB_Inf =

["US_Soldier_SL_EP1","US_Soldier_AR_EP1","US_Soldier_Medic_EP1","US_Soldier_AAR_EP1","US_Soldier_AMG_EP1","US_Soldier_MG_EP1","US_Soldier_TL_EP1

","TK_Soldier_SL_EP1","TK_Soldier_EP1","TK_Soldier_B_EP1","TK_Soldier_LAT_EP1","TK_Soldier_AT_EP1","TK_Soldier_AA_EP1",

"TK_Soldier_AAT_EP1","TK_Soldier_AMG_EP1","TK_Soldier_HAT_EP1","TK_Soldier_AR_EP1","TK_Soldier_Engineer_EP1","TK_Soldier_GL_EP1","TK_Soldier_MG_

RHQB_ATInf = ["TK_Soldier_AT_EP1","TK_Soldier_LAT_EP1","TK_Soldier_HAT_EP1"],

RHQB_HArmor = ["T72_TK_EP1","T55_TK_EP1","M1A1_US_DES_EP1","M1A2_US_TUSK_MG_EP1"];

Thanks for that demonstration Steve.

That's what Ive been seeing. :-) But I'm still having a hard time running debug, and I cant figure out how to so a camera. Steve Could you post that mission on here.

Here are some configs so far:

RHQ_Snipers = ["US_Soldier_Marksman_EP1","USMC_SoldierS_Sniper","USMC_SoldierS_SniperH","USMC_SoldierS_Spotter"];

RHQ_Inf =

RHQ_ATInf = ["US_Soldier_AHAT_EP1","US_Soldier_LAT_EP1","US_Soldier_HAT_EP1","US_Soldier_AT_EP1"];

RHQ_Air = ["UH60M_EP1"];

RHQ_HArmor = ["T72_TK_EP1","T55_TK_EP1","M1A1_US_DES_EP1","M1A2_US_TUSK_MG_EP1"];

RHQB_Inf =

RHQB_HArmor = ["T72_TK_EP1","T55_TK_EP1","M1A1_US_DES_EP1","M1A2_US_TUSK_MG_EP1"];

Yeah no worrys, it's proper basic (my mission), but still good fun :)

Use the radio (0 - 0 - 1) to activate the camera.

http://www.havoc-company.com/forum/default.aspx?g=posts&m=13278

DL is in there :)

How long is a cycle roughly?

This is the formula:

_delay = (((22.5 + (count RydHQ_Friends))/(0.5 + RydHQ_Reflex)) * RydHQ_CommDelay);

(count RydHQ_Friends) is equal to actual number of group under HAC control, RydHQ_Reflex is leaders attribute with value from 0 to 1. CommDeay is equal to 1 until manually changed. So it gives from about 15, when there is a few groups and high Reflex to about 180 seconds, when 100 groups under control and with lowest Reflex. But you should also remember that with the normal settings cycle of one side does not begin until the cycle other side continues, sometimes also time of issuing commands is longer than this interval, so in total cycle may be longer ...

---------- Post added at 21:38 ---------- Previous post was at 21:32 ----------

Have you tried this with your artillery scripts? Would be great !

Tried, in fact. Was designing this addon so that it worked well with the "Fire at Will" and I think they work very well together. I prepared myself a little, simple mission, where I was just a private and impression gained from the battlefield resulting from cooperation FAW with HAC has proved very satisfactory. It is worth in the FAW to reduce a length interval between salvos to about 30 seconds.

@SteveJA360

Thanks a lot for your presentation!

Edited by Rydygier

First thing: this addon is AWESOME!

I can finally play as I like it: a member of squad, not commander. I can just drop some units and not worry about leading them by hand using waypoints and triggers.

Also I think I found the solution for only one objective for HAC. Why not move it? You create game logic that is target, then make a trigger (east not present, west present for x seconds) that would move target to new location once old one is "captured". Im pretty sure that HAC would recalculate for new objective. Very crude, but might be effective.

Also I think I found the solution for only one objective for HAC. Why not move it? You create game logic that is target, then make a trigger (east not present, west present for x seconds) that would move target to new location once old one is "captured". Im pretty sure that HAC would recalculate for new objective. Very crude, but might be effective.

Have you tested yet? hmmm if not if I have more time after Christmas maybe I'll think up something. if it works it works ;)

Quick update to configs with some ACE.

RHQ_Inf =["US_Soldier_EP1", "US_Soldier_B_EP1", "US_Soldier_AMG_EP1", "US_Soldier_AAR_EP1", "US_Soldier_AHAT_EP1", "US_Soldier_AAT_EP1",

"US_Soldier_Light_EP1", "US_Soldier_GL_EP1", "US_Soldier_Officer_EP1", "US_Soldier_SL_EP1", "US_Soldier_TL_EP1", "US_Soldier_LAT_EP1",

"US_Soldier_AT_EP1", "US_Soldier_HAT_EP1", "US_Soldier_AA_EP1", "US_Soldier_Medic_EP1", "US_Soldier_AR_EP1", "US_Soldier_MG_EP1",

"US_Soldier_Spotter_EP1", "US_Soldier_Sniper_EP1", "US_Soldier_Sniper_NV_EP1", "US_Soldier_SniperH_EP1", "US_Soldier_Marksman_EP1",

"US_Soldier_Engineer_EP1", "US_Soldier_Pilot_EP1", "US_Soldier_Crew_EP1", "US_Delta_Force_EP1", "US_Delta_Force_TL_EP1",

"US_Delta_Force_Medic_EP1", "US_Delta_Force_Assault_EP1", "US_Delta_Force_SD_EP1", "US_Delta_Force_MG_EP1", "US_Delta_Force_AR_EP1",

"US_Delta_Force_Night_EP1", "US_Delta_Force_Marksman_EP1", "US_Delta_Force_M14_EP1", "US_Delta_Force_Air_Controller_EP1", "US_Pilot_Light_EP1",

"Drake", "Herrera", "Pierce", "Graves", "Drake_Light", "Herrera_Light", "Pierce_Light", "Graves_Light", "ACE_US_Soldier_Terp",

"ACE_US_Soldier_M224_G", "ACE_US_Soldier_M224_AG", "ACE_US_Soldier_M224_AB", "ACE_US_Soldier_M252_G", "ACE_US_Soldier_M252_AG",

"ACE_US_Soldier_M252_AB","TK_Soldier_EP1", "TK_Soldier_GL_EP1", "TK_Soldier_B_EP1", "TK_Soldier_AAT_EP1", "TK_Soldier_AMG_EP1",

"TK_Soldier_LAT_EP1", "TK_Soldier_AT_EP1", "TK_Soldier_HAT_EP1", "TK_Soldier_AA_EP1", "TK_Soldier_Engineer_EP1", "TK_Soldier_MG_EP1",

"TK_Soldier_AR_EP1", "TK_Soldier_Medic_EP1", "TK_Soldier_SL_EP1", "TK_Soldier_Officer_EP1", "TK_Soldier_Spotter_EP1", "TK_Soldier_Sniper_EP1",

"TK_Soldier_SniperH_EP1", "TK_Soldier_Sniper_Night_EP1", "TK_Soldier_Night_1_EP1", "TK_Soldier_Night_2_EP1", "TK_Soldier_TWS_EP1",

"TK_Soldier_Crew_EP1", "TK_Soldier_Pilot_EP1", "TK_Special_Forces_EP1", "TK_Special_Forces_TL_EP1", "TK_Special_Forces_MG_EP1", "TK_Aziz_EP1",

"TK_Commander_EP1", "ACE_TK_Soldier_2B14_G", "ACE_TK_Soldier_2B14_AG", "ACE_TK_Soldier_2B14_AB", "ACE_TK_Soldier_KonkursG",

"ACE_TK_Soldier_KonkursAG", "ACE_TK_Soldier_RPOM"];

RHQ_Air = ["UH60M_EP1"];

RHQB_Inf = ["US_Soldier_EP1", "US_Soldier_B_EP1", "US_Soldier_AMG_EP1", "US_Soldier_AAR_EP1", "US_Soldier_AHAT_EP1", "US_Soldier_AAT_EP1",

"US_Soldier_Light_EP1", "US_Soldier_GL_EP1", "US_Soldier_Officer_EP1", "US_Soldier_SL_EP1", "US_Soldier_TL_EP1", "US_Soldier_LAT_EP1",

"US_Soldier_AT_EP1", "US_Soldier_HAT_EP1", "US_Soldier_AA_EP1", "US_Soldier_Medic_EP1", "US_Soldier_AR_EP1", "US_Soldier_MG_EP1",

"US_Soldier_Spotter_EP1", "US_Soldier_Sniper_EP1", "US_Soldier_Sniper_NV_EP1", "US_Soldier_SniperH_EP1", "US_Soldier_Marksman_EP1",

"US_Soldier_Engineer_EP1", "US_Soldier_Pilot_EP1", "US_Soldier_Crew_EP1", "US_Delta_Force_EP1", "US_Delta_Force_TL_EP1",

"US_Delta_Force_Medic_EP1", "US_Delta_Force_Assault_EP1", "US_Delta_Force_SD_EP1", "US_Delta_Force_MG_EP1", "US_Delta_Force_AR_EP1",

"US_Delta_Force_Night_EP1", "US_Delta_Force_Marksman_EP1", "US_Delta_Force_M14_EP1", "US_Delta_Force_Air_Controller_EP1", "US_Pilot_Light_EP1",

"Drake", "Herrera", "Pierce", "Graves", "Drake_Light", "Herrera_Light", "Pierce_Light", "Graves_Light", "ACE_US_Soldier_Terp",

"ACE_US_Soldier_M224_G", "ACE_US_Soldier_M224_AG", "ACE_US_Soldier_M224_AB", "ACE_US_Soldier_M252_G", "ACE_US_Soldier_M252_AG",

"ACE_US_Soldier_M252_AB","TK_Soldier_EP1", "TK_Soldier_GL_EP1", "TK_Soldier_B_EP1", "TK_Soldier_AAT_EP1", "TK_Soldier_AMG_EP1",

"TK_Soldier_LAT_EP1", "TK_Soldier_AT_EP1", "TK_Soldier_HAT_EP1", "TK_Soldier_AA_EP1", "TK_Soldier_Engineer_EP1", "TK_Soldier_MG_EP1",

"TK_Soldier_AR_EP1", "TK_Soldier_Medic_EP1", "TK_Soldier_SL_EP1", "TK_Soldier_Officer_EP1", "TK_Soldier_Spotter_EP1", "TK_Soldier_Sniper_EP1",

"TK_Soldier_SniperH_EP1", "TK_Soldier_Sniper_Night_EP1", "TK_Soldier_Night_1_EP1", "TK_Soldier_Night_2_EP1", "TK_Soldier_TWS_EP1",

"TK_Soldier_Crew_EP1", "TK_Soldier_Pilot_EP1", "TK_Special_Forces_EP1", "TK_Special_Forces_TL_EP1", "TK_Special_Forces_MG_EP1", "TK_Aziz_EP1",

"TK_Commander_EP1", "ACE_TK_Soldier_2B14_G", "ACE_TK_Soldier_2B14_AG", "ACE_TK_Soldier_2B14_AB", "ACE_TK_Soldier_KonkursG",

"ACE_TK_Soldier_KonkursAG", "ACE_TK_Soldier_RPOM"];

Found Ace Six site with DAC configs here =BIS_TK_INS&version=59&commit=Change"]browser.dev-heaven.net/cfg_vehicles/generator/dac?options[faction]=BIS_TK_INS&version=59&commit=Change

Edited by Mikey74
source

Im using CEP AI Unit Caching with this, but im thinking it may not work as this will affect commander decision making as he may not recognize the full group?

Commander makes decisions based on the status of all their forces and based on the status of all known enemies, not just leaders (number of groups). While enemies are unknown, may be safely 'cached', but I'm afraid that will also be cached allied units. In that case, HAC considers that they "died" and will adjust behavior for such circumstances, if alive remaining only leaders of such groups, and this is bad ...

---------- Post added at 12:38 ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 ----------

This is very good idea and should work just fine. :)

EDIT: There may be a difference compared to the occupation of the first objective. HAC may not send scout ahead, and immediately send other units, because from his point of view, continues to keep the same objective, and yet it has already been under recon units attention. However, HAC should "feel the need" to renew reconnaissance once every 10 minutes.

Edited by Rydygier

Commander makes decisions based on the status of all their forces and based on the status of all known enemies, not just leaders (number of groups). While enemies are unknown, may be safely 'cached', but I'm afraid that will also be cached allied units. In that case, HAC considers that they "died" and will adjust behavior for such circumstances, if alive remaining only leaders of such groups, and this is bad ..

So that goes for DAC too then I guess?

I guess its possible to get the cached groups strenghts, but that is probably a big re-write in your code..?

One note: currently, RHQ and RHQB arrays should contain classnames of the same units, and all of them, regardless of which side uses them. In fact, currently you can itself ease task, and after entering RHQ arrays can, instead of copying (repeat) the same content for RHQB you can just use this shortcut: RHQB_CertainCategory = RHQ_CertainCategory;. Nevertheless, for now I intend to keep separate category arrays for each side, since such a division may be needed in the future.

Commander makes decisions based on the status of all their forces and based on the status of all known enemies, not just leaders (number of groups). While enemies are unknown, may be safely 'cached', but I'm afraid that will also be cached allied units. In that case, HAC considers that they "died" and will adjust behavior for such circumstances, if alive remaining only leaders of such groups, and this is bad ...

---------- Post added at 12:38 ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 ----------

This is very good idea and should work just fine. :)

EDIT: There may be a difference compared to the occupation of the first objective. HAC may not send scout ahead, and immediately send other units, because from his point of view, continues to keep the same objective, and yet it has already been under recon units attention. However, HAC should "feel the need" to renew reconnaissance once every 10 minutes.

Matbe you could add in a little bit of script to check if the objective has moved, so that if it does move more than a certain amount then it basically resets the commander view of the objective. Then if it moves say 1km or more, he'll re recon it, and if it moves less then he'll just keep momentum and roll straight on it.

Also, you could maybe make different personalities based on real tactics and strategies, with one being the standard BLUFOR response to sending reinforcements to the areas most threatened and likely to collapse, and a standard redfor where he sends it to the units doing best and most likely to push through to the objective.

I guess its possible to get the cached groups strenghts, but that is probably a big re-write in your code..?

It's a big problem. HAC checks to see of what kind is each unit in the group to properly classify a given group. HAC would have to first do this analysis, then preserve the result in the variable assigned to the group, and only then it could be cached. In addition, HAC would have to refresh value of this assigned variable each time the group would be un-cached, because at that time there may occurs changes in that group.

I would like to test my idea, but I usually smash into conditions and stuff like that.

Here is my idea of addition to HAC: a garrison. This unit is not touched by HAC unless enemy is close to their position or situation is really bad. Once enemy is dealt with unit is returned to their original position.

Another good idea would be some support for Logistics. nothing big, if HAC have any repair/fuel/ammo/ambulance trucks it will send one of each type to the secured position (same as moving reserve). HAC should keep them close together so they will create something like forward resupply base. If HAC has more then one truck of same type (eg. 2x Ammo) it will only send one keeping rest in reserve. HAC should keep logistics off the frontline if their position is attacked HAC should try to move them back. in other words: HAC should be really careful when moving it's logistic support.

If squad is low on ammo/fuel HAC should send them to the nearest logistic support group.

IIRC unit caching is optional in DAC, or you can set distance so big that no unit would be cached.

Edited by Taro8

I would like to test my idea, but I usually smash into conditions and stuff like that.

Here is my idea of addition to HAC: a garrison. This unit is not touched by HAC unless enemy is close to their position or situation is really bad. Once enemy is dealt with unit is returned to their original position.

Another good idea would be some support for Logistics. nothing big, if HAC have any repair/fuel/ammo/ambulance trucks it will send one of each type to the secured position (same as moving reserve). HAC should keep them close together so they will create something like forward resupply base. If HAC has more then one truck of same type (eg. 2x Ammo) it will only send one keeping rest in reserve. HAC should keep logistics off the frontline if their position is attacked HAC should try to move them back. in other words: HAC should be really careful when moving it's logistic support.

If squad is low on ammo/fuel HAC should send them to the nearest logistic support group.

IIRC unit caching is optional in DAC, or you can set distance so big that no unit would be cached.

-Smarter commanders will hold forces back rather than pushing them all in to the assault -if there's enough one can assume that a defence would be sustained

-Post #17:

About support...

HAC by assumption operates on waypoints. Probably would be possible to make the commander to send an ambulance near the wounded or repair truck to damaged vehicle, but rather nothing more. I would prefer not to intervene directly in the activity of individual units. It should only assign them waypoints. I will think about that.

Have you tried this with your artillery scripts? Would be great !

It's really fun

You can setup an exception for support units and then give them normal support waypoints and it works well enough anyway. The AI give decent enough support with the support waypoints, and if you really need to, you can use waypoints and triggers that you set in the editor to bring them up towards the front once it moves, especially if youre moving the objective anyway.