Sign in to follow this  
Alwarren

FHQ WIP Thread (contains lots of images)

what's wrong with the vanilla one?

Isn't that a "plain" M24? The A2/A3 have a different stock IIRC.

Well, The M24A2 has a 10 round detachable Magazine, a barrel worked to accept a sound suppressor, rails on the top and sides.

Then the M24A3 is chambered for the .338 with a 5 round detachable magazine with detachable backup sights.

So in truth, the A2/A3 models are rather different to the vanilla one provided in game. And sorry if this is vague sounding info. It's from information I looked up within 5 minutes.

Finally, some news.

With Holiday season over and being back to work, things have slowed down again. Here now is the first in-game version of the Remington Gas Piston R5 Carbine. The texture is only preliminary, there are some things to correct (metal parts, weird shadow on the forward assist, etc).

arma2oa2012011618502783.th.jpgarma2oa2012011618494223.th.jpg

Modelled in Blender with 212k polygons, then reduced in size by re-moddelling on top of it and baking normals and AO map (for example, the storage compartment on the back is only normal map).

Thanks RobertHammer for your comment. You were right of course, the result looks better :)

Just curious what units are you using when you take these screenshots. (The units in your first post.)

really really looking forward to the Addon.

If you need any help with Texture or Values - just ask i would be please to help you out if need be.

really really looking forward to the Addon.

If you need any help with Texture or Values - just ask i would be please to help you out if need be.

For the time being, I am using Blender's automatic unwrapping and direct texture painting. The result texture cannot really be easily worked on in a paint program, but the process is much faster than having to unwrap the model the hard way.

Hey random question, whats the current size of the files? and are you guys doing individual models for each sight/weapon combo?

Hey random question, whats the current size of the files? and are you guys doing individual models for each sight/weapon combo?

Currently, the pack has around 250 MB. There is one base model for each camo, and then I add proxies to that and extract them. The result is one individual model per weapon; I don't know how else to do it, since keeping the proxies works when you hold the weapon but they vanish if you drop it or look at it in the Armory's viewer.

On average, each weapon has 6000 faces, plus a few for the optics, making the face count vary between 7k and 11k (the grenade launcher/Holo/x4 scope combo is the biggest)

Currently, the pack has around 250 MB. There is one base model for each camo, and then I add proxies to that and extract them. The result is one individual model per weapon; I don't know how else to do it, since keeping the proxies works when you hold the weapon but they vanish if you drop it or look at it in the Armory's viewer.

On average, each weapon has 6000 faces, plus a few for the optics, making the face count vary between 7k and 11k (the grenade launcher/Holo/x4 scope combo is the biggest)

hmm, interesting, recently i've been with someone in my clan on a internal mod which is essenaly the aussie army but slightly updated (so all is not lost when A3 comes out :) ) and from what i understand our weapon's (Steyr A3, M14 EBR and various others at the current time) is around 70mb through from what i understand (i just nod politely and do the textures) the project lead has added every sight/attachement over the same model and used hidden selections to make each sight ect appear/disapear depending on what you grab out of the create (on top of that its using the player ID so when you pull say a basic steyr out of the create it customies the Camoflage and attachements when picked up)

if my understanding is correct it could bring down the size a bit by reducing it to one model insted of mulitple ones.

if my understanding is correct it could bring down the size a bit by reducing it to one model insted of mulitple ones.

that is not possible because there is no way to define all the attachements as proxies. So the current workflow is having one model for each combination of attachment...that is till A3 comes around

hiddenselection should be possible, but hardly recomended, especially for attachments with multiple eyesights points

Edited by PuFu

hiddenselection is possible, but hardly recomended, especially for attachments with multiple eyesights points

Do hiddenSelections work with weapons at all? I tried that to be able to have retex configs of the weapons, but I didn't manage to get those to work.

Hiddenselections does not work with weapons, if I recall correctly from threads past when it was introduced.

Do hiddenSelections work with weapons at all? I tried that to be able to have retex configs of the weapons, but I didn't manage to get those to work.

yeah you are right, got carried away by the quoted discussion. i stand corrected. hs doesn't work on weapons.

Quoted from the Creator:

show selection when sight active, hide when inactive.

simple if statement[/Quote]

works so far... though no one seems to belive it.

Quoted from the Creator:

1. who is the creator?

2. care to put a link to the weapons you are giving as an example?

3. so what you are saying it is that is better to have a couple of tens of sections per model (i would assume each attachment has its own uv), because you'll have all the models in the same file (note that it will most likely go over the max tris count) resulting a high fps hit due to the amount of textures game needs to load per mesh, just so the size of the pbo is smaller by a couple of megs? allow me to dissagree.

4. I have a feeling you are confusing things around. Don't take it personally, i'd love you to prove me wrong

Edited by PuFu

Say again, to the best of my knowledge, hidden selections do not work on Weapons. I'd love to see myself corrected here, since it would allow to retexture weapons without duplicating the model, but the hiddenSelection keyword is explicitly mentioned only in the CfgVehicle section.

If you can, please provide an example. That would definitely be interesting.

1. who is the creator? [/Quote]

Not known in the community, but goes by the name Monty, though sickboy might recall :D

2. care to put a link to the weapons you are giving as an example?[/Quote]

Sorry, its internal and the property of some of its spread around for the last year or so (people from various clans working on it as a whole), another problem is said model has been copied and even sold by people on turbosquid (imagine how that went down :| ) that and the fact its only half configed due to implamentation of Customised weapons we're currently working on for each member of our clan, sorry

3. so what you are saying it is that is better to have a couple of tens of sections per model (i would assume each attachment has its own uv), because you'll have all the models in the same file (note that it will most likely go over the max tris count) resulting a high fps hit due to the amount of textures game needs to load per mesh, just so the size of the pbo is smaller by a couple of megs? allow me to dissagree.[/Quote]

Sorry, i my self haven't had a chance to use the weapons as i've been working on other parts of the mod so i couldn't say what the FPS is like with them set this way, and i'm not that experianced with mapping and such, i ussaly just stick to texturing with photoshop so i couldn't really say.

4. I have a feeling you are confusing things around. Don't take it personally, i'd love you to prove me wrong

Hmm, it is possable, though recently the auther came onto devheaven and talked about the same issue to the ACE team and explained it a little there.

https://dev-heaven.net/issues/28618

I'll have a talk when he's online next time and see if he can create a quick demo of this working after we've finished, though i can't promise

Either way, good luck on your contiuned work on the remington pack, hope to see it soon?

Edited by Scarecrow398

Sorry, its internal and the property of some of its spread around for the last year or so (people from various clans working on it as a whole), another problem is said model has been copied and even sold by people on turbosquid (imagine how that went down :| ) that and the fact its only half configed due to implamentation of Customised weapons we're currently working on for each member of our clan, sorry

that's not nice to hear that the model may have been sold, but im rather disappointed that you can't share with the rest of the Arma2 community :(

that's not nice to hear that the model may have been sold, but im rather disappointed that you can't share with the rest of the Arma2 community :(

Especially seeing he's made money out of our work :(

Time for an update again I suppose. I've been remaking most of the stuff now, including the ACR.

This is a new image of the ACR (hires version).

acrhires.th.jpg

(click for larger)

An image of the RGP with EGLM module. This is a low-res, bumpmapped and textured version as it appears in game.

eglmlowres.th.jpg

(click for larger)

An image of the RGP with the new short Eotech and Eotech magnifier. The texture on the Eotech looks weird in blender, but it looks normal in game, although I am generally not too happy with the way that the Holo sight came out - I might re-do it.

rgplowres.th.jpg

(click for larger)

Does anybody have any hints on polygon reduction? Currently, I am using Blender's snap-to-object tool to re-model a lowres version of the model, but that takes almost more effort than modelling the highres. Unfortunately, the decimation tools I tried (Blender's Decimate modifier and MeshLab) don't yield very usable results - they're either too complex still, or the silouette is completely lost in the process, or there are other very obvious flaws. Snap-to-object and remodelling works, but takes a long time.

As usual, comments and hints highly appreciated.