Sign in to follow this  
DetCord

Asymmetric Warfare Components

Wanted to try to bring a little more realism to the game via the unknown. That unknown is of course IED's in all their dreadful forms. My main purpose for this was my growing frustration, and that of others I'm sure, that requires the mission maker or player to constantly utilize scripts to get the desired effect. Thus far I have the following in the chute; DBIED's, pressure plate and victim operated IED's, EFP's, SVEST components, and a few others. It's quite a bit of work and considering this is my first go at addon making, the process is rather daunting to say the least. I'm hoping to be able to add those nasty little bastards the Mujh like to hang at or above head level, typically in trees and in urban settings like door jams and bumpers. But we'll see how that goes.

I understand the sensitive nature of this killer all too real. As a active duty member of the Armed Forces (Combat Engineer), I've deployed to Afghanistan and Iraq and have come face to face with them. So please, no hate mail.

Wn9-a-x4LW4

It looked like the humvees weren't being destroyed outright by the blasts. If so, that is good, because playing with IEDs is neither fun nor realistic when the only result is 'vehicle totalled, everyone dies.'

Very impressive, must be hard to improve that kind of stuff with RV3 engine.

This looks brilliant, I hope you include a way to make these all happen dynamically

Edit -

Edited by DetCord

Well some of us are in different time zones and haven't seen your post until now. Not to mention the 1.60 RC release diverting attention.

But, I'm enthused, it looks great. I'm one of those that just scripts the bloody things and I'm sure your solution is (would have been) much more elegant.

Don't lose heart mate!

Yeah I agree, I don't think anyone is looking at much apart from the 1.60 release, it would be a pity to stop now, this is looking amazing

I'd recommend to create addons and mission based on needs/wishes for your self and not for others. After that just release it to the crowd if you suspect one or two might find it useful (and I think you'll find a wider crowd than that) and let go.

I'm guessing there isn't much need for this as determined via the lack of posts/interest. I'll go ahead and discontinue work.

Thanks for the enthusiasm, however limited.

Just because people don't post here doesn't mean that they don't think it is a great idea. Oden's advice is great. If you build it, they will come (to quote a phrase)

I'm guessing there isn't much need for this as determined via the lack of posts/interest. I'll go ahead and discontinue work.

You shouldn't discontinue it. For every person that post there's probably a whole lot of people who like the idea but don't post. I am one of those. I think this would be a great addition to the game, since all the scripting etc. required usually puts me off adding IED's to the game. I would sure as hell use it.

Yeah i for one would be very interested in seeing how this progresses and using it. IED's are something that is a major part of combat operations all over the world today.

Personally from an ArmA point of view i'm still trying to find a good IED system, as both the ACE IED and Reezo EOD have some problems which can be a real pain.

If you do continue with this, it might be worth look at the IED's within ACE and the EOD mod by Reezo just for a reference.

ACE - Easy to plant an IED, but apart from placing them manually then setting the tripwire from them there is little else that can be done. Also the fact that IED's can be detected by the ACE metal detector is cool. But there is no diffusion options for engineers (if the IED is placed from within the editor).

EOD Mod - Very nice idea and works well on vanilla maps, but has some shortcomings on custom maps (not a major thing). Biggest problem i have found really is that IED's placed with this system can only be placed on roads.

This is all well and good for those missions, but it would be nice to have the option to plant IED's whereever you want.

These are the options i would like to see in a IED mod/addon...

1. Ambience (EOD mod does this well using the ALICE & SILVIE)

2. Ability to pre place IED's and various positions (Roads and Offroad).

3. Ability to detect certain IED's with something like the ACE metal detector.

4. Have the ability to attempt to diffuse the IED if its a simple enough device. (Engineers only just so its not too easy, not sure if it could be scripted that if you approached it slow in the prone position you could get close enough to diffuse).

I really like the idea of having to cover an EOD team as they approach an IED.

5. Ability to jam RD IED's, again the EOD mod is a good example with the THOR III

Anyway those are just some thoughts...

As the other guys have said there is interest out there, me personally i would love to see an IED mod that is addaptable enough for most maps/situations.

Hopefully you will reconsider your stance on the addon...

Edited by Shadow.D. ^BOB^

agreed DevilDog. Dont give up the ship so easily. You mentioned you were in the service I believe. Perhaps your experiences can be applied here to bring a new twist. Im one of those people that is very interested in this but has not commented til now.

I don't get where there is lack of interest, when since opening the thread there have been nothing but positive posts? If you are expecting hunreds of responses within a day or two, it won't happen, lol. I'm one of those people that usually just read threads and rarely post any more. Busy with other things, want to steer clear of any forum drama's, etc. That sort of thing.

But honestly, I along with many here are really excited by your project and really hope you continue to develop and build upon your idea. This is something I'd really like to have in missions--especially after repeatedly watching re-runs of Bomb Patrol: Afghanistan on G4tv. Would be kinda cool to have EOD missions setup. I've grown particularly very fond of that clAfghan map, so I would love to add something like this to missions for it. Definitely also liking Shadow's feedback. Sounds really good.

Hope you keep moving forward! :)

Hey DevilDog! You should keep going on this, since you have a point about how this should be properly working... if coding stuff gets harder or stuck you will always can upload this as wip or test addon and I am pretty sure that many other guys will continue with your effort...

I don't know if everyone have interest in this, but I wouldn't doubt that A LOT of people indeed have it and will keep pushing to get the best of all of the current development...

If you take a look closer to some threads, you will note that people is making improvements over former work that was made due to other guys effort... and this happens all the time

So, this is some kind of joint ops where all of us can enjoy continuous improvements and I bet this effort of yours is not going to be lost...

Saludos!

I was blown away when watching the clip. Excuse the PUN! Anything that brings realism in game is an absolute must. So i agree also with the guys above. ;)

nice addon. suitable both for counter-insurgency ops and covert ops, training, respectively.

would be nice if it persist undetectable[w/o special devices in soldier, or more likely, vehicle, equipment/inventory and this would be time-consuming].

also would be nice to add ability to "mine anything" like in RL, insurgents/saboteurs do. vertical surfaces, horizontal ones, plants, trees, houses/doorways, vehicles, roads, even animals [imagine chicken, rushing toward you in patrol, screaming "Alah Akbar !!" :P].

Seriously, don't stop this.

Abs

Thanks for the enthusiasm, however limited.

Are you being serious? People getting no posts after 7 days can say that.

You got 4 posts on the same day you opened the topic so uhm... wth is wrong with that? Also, only about 40% of registered users post in a topic even when they find it interesting and another 50% would post if they had an account for this forum.

Atleast those are the numbers I estimate after being around different forums for some time. And another good portion of this community is occupied with real life and will not check this forum 24h/7d.

Edited by Icewindo

It sounds very very interesting so go on my friend I would love add this mod to my game.

Thank you for your work