Sign in to follow this  
Rydygier

"Fire At Will" - Functional AI artillery without any knowledge about scripts etc.

Does the scripts activate on UAV's or do i need to set manually? Tried briefly last night with no luck but left it at that for now. Again great addon

Script is not directly referenced in any way to UAVs, but relies on what allied units know about enemy. So if allied unit examines the area by using UAVs, and if in this way can be increased their knowledge about enemy units (if in that case is rising value, that is corresponding to command "knowsAbout"... I do not know this, not yet experimented with UAV module), in this way, indirectly, UAVs contributes to shelling enemy which is detected that way.

Just an offhand thought about the accuracy - perhaps the arty unit's skill level could be altered on the fly? If so you could have their skill level increase based on the "knows about" model so the more the arty "knows about" a target, the greater their skill for a brief amount of time. THen have the skill reset to a lower skill level after that time expires.

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/setSkill

According to this Biki article, you could do it with this command. If it works like I imagine it does, then I will guess this could also be used to introduce some randomness to the arty dispersion... maybe not?

Thanks for idea, hcpookie.

What you suggest probably can be done, but I can also achieve dynamic improvement of accuracy without changing battery skills, but by adding directly related to the "knowsAbout" factor into the formula that calculates dispersion. In the same way I can directly add to the formula another random factor (do not know if it is necessary, formulas already include a random factor). I do not know whether it is justified growth of accuracy following the increase of knowledge about target, since its location and vector is anyway equally well known. Chances for accurate hit, I think, do not depend on detailed knowledge about target, but mostly on the knowledge of where it is and in which direction and how fast it moves.

---------- Post added at 07:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:14 PM ----------

@Rydlock

I did a little test with GRAD on Arma 2 1.10. Everything looks fine (although it may, however, GRAD shoot too accurately). Thus it may be, unfortunately, the problem between script, and CO, and maybe it's about something else. There is a buffer zone of safety. Artillery does not aim at the position located too close to allied units. Radius of this zone is widest for GRAD, is equal 3.5 * 200 * (1 + "overcast") ("overcast" = 0 is the best weather, 1 is the worst). This radius can be changed by typing in the init field of any unit lower value, for example for 5 meters radius will be equal (3.5*5* (1 + "overcast")):

RydART_Safe = 5;

It is worth checking if this will help.

Addon updated to version 1.1.

No signature :(

Nice work though, makes implementing threat Arty this so much easier !

Unfortunately. I had somewhere above described problems with creation of necessary files. What's more, addon is not at all designed for MP for this reason, that I know too little about how to design scripts to work in MP. In general, I have zero experience with MP gameplay and it is unlikely to change, so even if once I find out more info about scripts for MP, I will not have opportunity to test them (creating such kind of scripts without frequent testing is a very bad idea). If someone wants and can do, may freely to improve or to modify this addon according to own needs. If possible, I will provide willingly needed for this purpose info about those scripts (how it works, which is what, and so on).

Edited by Rydygier

Addon updated to 1.1a - eliminated some error...

Addon updated to 1.2

Note: In this version, salvos drift finally is calculated exactly as I wanted. In comparison with earlier version it may be larger. If you prefer a smaller drift - remember about possibility of adjustment this parameter with RydART_Acc variable (is equal 2 by default). 1.1a version is included in "old" folder.

Parameters in demo mission are set up so that artillery fire was the most frequent and intense. In a standard missions I recommend a default value of RydART_Safe, which is 200 meters. In this mission player is a civilian spectator - so for addon version test just wait a minute and watch fireworks. For script version testing launch game without FAW&CBA addons. Then use radio ALPHA channel to initialize script. Map markers are active.

Edited by Rydygier

...and some quick hotfix maded...

Nice work!

This concept enables some AI triggered artillery, but leaving some chances for enemy to survive :-)

I did test your sample mission with Arma 2 + Arma 2 OA combination and do confirm it works!

Note: For anybody who did not yet had a look at this: after triggering the radio to start the AI Artillery it takes a few minutes before the rounds start to explode, so please be patient.

I tested your script in editor with ACE abd ZEUS AI and it is AWESOME. Now I only need sth like this for CAS:)

Now, for my cold war scenario I want to implement arty pieces from

VILAS Project '85, because he has some nice guns in there...

Where would I have to put the classnames for vehicles and ammo to? just simply add them where the VANILLA units are defined in your script?

Thanks!

@ZeroG

Generally yes. I'm afraid that adding new units to the script is not very user friendly. Need to review the code and in places, where classnames is used ,analogously to add new. However, even if you succeed, it may not be the effect. Script is based on cooperation with the BIS Artillery Module. The question is, whether these new units are designed to work with this module.

Now, for my cold war scenario I want to implement arty pieces from

VILAS Project '85, because he has some nice guns in there...

Where would I have to put the classnames for vehicles and ammo to? just simply add them where the VANILLA units are defined in your script?

Thanks!

Vilas' new artillery units (the 155mm M109 Palladin, 152mm 2S3, 203mm 2S7) aren't compatible with the Arma2 artillery module yet. I've proposed fixes to him. Not sure when they will end up in his upcoming update of P85.

New version released.

Changelog:

- redesigned whole code;

- some bugs fixed;

- improved reliability;

- improved debug markers including shellView tool;

- handling of OA counterparts of A2 artillery pieces;

- AI will choose best kind of ammo on its own from possible HE, WP, SADARM;

- working ammo limitation;

- possibility of direct creating SMOKE and ILLUM salvos;

- movement predictor consideres roads.

Great, thanks, as always, Foxhound. :)

I just got to say Rydygier, your addons are just the best and i really enjoy them keep up the work i cant wait to see what else awaits in the future

Thanks for this update: it's a great addon with lot's of config options!