Sign in to follow this  
whiskeytango

How do you guys trim effectively?

Hey guys, I've never really trimmed a helicopter flight sim before, does anyone have any tips on how and when you do this?

Do you guys have this setup on a HAT like a fixed wing plane might? If so, do you have a separate one for the tail rotor? Do you trim the aircraft once you get to your desired state - like cruising speed or hovering?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I haven't mastered trim in the game at all, but in a helicopter, you push a button on the cyclic before you make a movement. When you have the cyclic where you want it to be, you let the button out and the stick will stay in the same position it was when you released the button.

but in a helicopter, you push a button on the cyclic before you make a movement

In some helicopters that is that case.

Some are trimmed with a hat just like fixed-wing aircraft.

Some have both.

- Bear

this is how trim works, if you center your stick in level flight and if the nose wants to pitch up by itself then trim rear/back/aft cyclic. what trimming does is repositions your cyclic towards the direction you trim by small amounts at a time which can relieve cyclic pressure for the pilot. after adjusting trim center your stick again in level flight and see if it's still pitching up, if it is then trim aft some more until you can let you helo fly without any or very small amount of input. you will probably have to do multiaxis trimming with a helicopter because most likely you will have to trim left or right as well. hope this helps.

The manual trim in Take On works this way:

* you fly some attitude (colective set, speed, bank and pitch as you need)

* if you want to rest your hand and dont keep pushing your joystick, that offten has some centering forces, you can press manual trim key

* after you press the key, new "center" is set for all cyclic and antitorque axes and you should return your controls in centered position

* each time you make new controls adjustment you can trim controls by pressing manual trim buton

* there are also available keys for incremental triming of each specific axis (see controls menu)

* than there is buton for reset trim, it removes all trim adjustments. I use that for example before "autohover" is engaged.

The manual trim in Take On works this way:

* you fly some attitude (colective set, speed, bank and pitch as you need)

* if you want to rest your hand and dont keep pushing your joystick, that offten has some centering forces, you can press manual trim key

* after you press the key, new "center" is set for all cyclic and antitorque axes and you should return your controls in centered position

* each time you make new controls adjustment you can trim controls by pressing manual trim buton

* there are also available keys for incremental triming of each specific axis (see controls menu)

* than there is buton for reset trim, it removes all trim adjustments. I use that for example before "autohover" is engaged.

Excellent thanks! I'm familiar with the old trim hat from DCS A-10C.

Armored_Sheep how do you make the trim reset progressive to avoid strong and fast attitude variations before enabling the auto hover ?

tahnks