150 replies to this topic
_raine
_raine

Rookie

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 10:26

Hi folks.

I have always been a fan of OFP and ARMA but I am not usually the sort to get involved in forum discussions. However after what I have just seen I felt compelled to start a thread here.

Last night, a U.K based T.V channel broadcast a documentary discussing the Libya's alleged support of the IRA. When discussing how the IRA were capable of shooting down helicopters with Libyan weaponry, they showed what was painfully obvious to be footage of ARMA II, labeled as "IRA footage 1988".

Someone has already taken the liberty of posting the particular segment on Youtube here:

You can watch the documentary in full here: http://www.itv.com/i.../?Filter=276162

This bothers me on so many levels. Is it even legal for them to use footage of B.I's engine in this manner?

---------- Post added at 11:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:19 AM ----------

I would also like to make it clear that ITV in NO WAY indicated that it was supposed to be some kind of reconstruction, it was clearly labeled as "IRA footage 1988". :mad:

Placebo
Placebo

Retired Über Verwalter

• BI Forum Team
  • 21317 posts
  • LocationVisby, Gotland, Sweden

Posted 27 September 2011 - 10:30

This bothers me on so many levels. Is it even legal for them to use footage of B.I's engine in this manner?

Absolutely not, we've had requests in the past to use Arma2 footage for scenes in a documentary and the request was turned down because of the possibility it showed Arma2/Bohemia Interactive in a negative way, now using our game to show the actions of terrorists is potentially a very negative and damaging use.

Fully retired from all forum/community related aspects so please don't contact me unless it's an emergency and nobody else will talk to you :)

PuFu
PuFu

Poly Bully

• Members
  • 7214 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 10:34

isn't EULA against using said product for any further commercial gains?

Posted Image

Placebo
Placebo

Retired Über Verwalter

• BI Forum Team
  • 21317 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 10:36

Absolutely, and ITV is a commercial TV network.

Fully retired from all forum/community related aspects so please don't contact me unless it's an emergency and nobody else will talk to you :)

soul_assassin
soul_assassin

Chief Warrant Officer

• Members
  • 3515 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 10:38

could have at least used some cool addons and blastcore :P

seems the video was taken down from ITV website

PuFu
PuFu

Poly Bully

• Members
  • 7214 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 10:41

then the addon makers could be entitled to lawsuit ITV just as well ;) good thinking

Posted Image

abs
abs

Warrant Officer

• Members
  • 2427 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 10:47

lol at the quote "No one was killed in this attack."

No shit...it's a computer game. :P

Abs
My Projects:
Posted Image
RHS Contributor | Former ONS Member | Former W'39 Member
I will not be taking part in the contest, but I support it 100%! Great idea, BIS!

RobertHammer
RobertHammer

Second Lieutenant

• Members
  • 4779 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 10:49

lol - that reminded me those videos from Kuma War :P
Posted ImagePosted Image
There's one place for One Snake and for One BigBoss !!!
Posted Image

dm
dm

Major

• Members
  • 7876 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 11:10

bahahahahahahahaha

well you are 1 of the greatest examples that pressing the reply button doesn't mean necessarily answering.

PELHAM
PELHAM

I shall not insult moderators

• Banned
  • 1576 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 11:15

OMFG Journalists!!?? Whatever next?

There is lots and lots of IRA footage showing them dragging 12.5mm DSHKs across the landscape. I don't think they ever used anything bigger than that or shoulder launched SAMs supplied by Gadaffi (later some were sold to ETA but were faulty and did not work). Truck mounted guns like that are too difficult to hide.

I guess ITV didn't want to pay/could not get access to the rights for the original vids?

Having travelled widely and seen what journalists really get up to I am not surprised. A friend told me he saw a well respected journalist throwing handfuls of coins into a rubbish pile so he could film local children picking through it. It made a nice 'poverty' piece to camera back in the UK.

Edited by PELHAM, 27 September 2011 - 11:32.

Daniel
Daniel

Chief Warrant Officer

• Members
  • 3602 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 11:32

I love the way to truck does the little "OFP/Arma jump" after it starts firing. I hope the BBC or similar run a story on this, that'd be exceptional publicity for BIS. Especially if they make it clear that BIS products in no way depict the IRA...

Edited by Daniel, 27 September 2011 - 11:38.

Posted Image"RIVET-COUNTER" ALARM [SCANNING]

VOLCBAT
Future Hamok Pilot

VanhA-ICON
VanhA-ICON

Gunnery Sergeant

• Members
  • 541 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 11:48

What about journalists then nowadays? Fantastic!
They have access to the internet which is brilliant, because there lies the more convenient truth, innit. Fabulous! And how about those video games then? Marvellous!
If ITV would also regenerate world history using the A2 zombie mods we'd be like blown away by it.

Yes, this is likely to be pulitzer material?
Posted Image
My missions

mrcash2009
mrcash2009

Second Lieutenant

• Members
  • 4228 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 12:05

I've seen some utter B.S in the media and the "lie box in the corner" in my time but that was priceless.

I assume Ivan or legal are on the red bat phone as we type?

SICK OF IDIOTS & STEAM.

Placebo
Placebo

Retired Über Verwalter

• BI Forum Team
  • 21317 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 12:28

could have at least used some cool addons and blastcore :P

seems the video was taken down from ITV website

Nope you need a UK IP to view it, use a free VPN or proxy :)

PuFu
PuFu

Poly Bully

• Members
  • 7214 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 12:55

Nope you need a UK IP to view it, use a free VPN or proxy :)

Yeah, still up via UK based proxy.

PS: Happy Birthday placebo you old fart. have a good one :yay:

Posted Image

Placebo
Placebo

Retired Über Verwalter

• BI Forum Team
  • 21317 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 13:22

LOL thanks :)

STALKERGB
STALKERGB

Sergeant Major

• Members
  • 1537 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 13:40

Although this particular case is just ridiculous (it's still beyond me how ITV managed it lol), in defence of us Journalists, these days there are far less journalists in each organisation but they are often being made to produce more content. So less manpower more production often leads to "corner cutting". It's often why you can spot stuff (especially stories as opposed to video) taken from the internet. Not that it's any excuse for this documentary.
STALKERGB ♪♫ FYI AFK IRL... (Very slow to answer these days...)

British Infantry for ARMA 3

British 3 Rifle MTP ARMA2 - Twitter with updates on WIP: @Mat_Kav

-KH-Jman
-KH-Jman

First Sergeant

• Members
  • 861 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 13:47

Leaving aside the fact that ITV have used Arma2 footage without permission, the programme's presenter (Paul McGann if I'm not mistaken) clearly states that it is 'the terrorists own footage'. That has far more serious implications and is very damaging indeed.

At the very least I would expect the production team to make a retraction on terrestrial TV after all this was peak time viewing.

Edited by [KH]Jman, 27 September 2011 - 13:55.

[KH]Jman - Kellys Heroes ArmA Clan Leader
Posted ImageDedi Server Guide | PersistentDB
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

steveja360
steveja360

Gunnery Sergeant

• Members
  • 584 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 14:06

I am diying to get back home and watch this haha!! Arma on the big screen next!
"Just guys from Bohemia Interactive deserve a little scratch for the handle, I have not come as a lonely limb" - RiE.

DMarkwick
DMarkwick

Major

• Members
  • 7298 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 14:09

Faking, or using fake footage is not only dumb but it seriously impacts on the entire reliability of the documentary. How can we take in and process any bit of information knowing that any of it can be faked, made up, inserted without care or attention? It's a dullwitted affair when videogame footage is being supplied to us as proof of wrongdoing by a dictator. How, and why should we believe anything?
Feel like ArmA is letting you down in some way? Watch this:
https://www.youtube....h?v=Fh3webkCo4Y