Sign in to follow this  
Beagle

"Tab" targeting issues

@DM

I haven't seen good suggestions or even people that represent themselves as "defender" of realism or SP/COOP players to offer compromises, did you?

It's always only "I like it the way it is and it must not be changed" or "in the real world this given weapon system has this capability".

And more important there is no "sides". It is always about individuals to make comments.

No one can speak for "a side". Especially 99% of the players/people don't speak up at all (here).

Arma offers the flexibility to be played in many different ways and it should be.

@DementedFool117

It is not complicated really. One can offer optional/configurable solutions (difficulty settings, additional classes).

Also ACE has many nice scripted systems and adjusted configs. Does any realism or SP/COOP player complain there about (TAB) lock removal?

Of course various community members have made different working solutions as well like HeinBloed (GDT) or Mandoble (Mando Missile) or Big Dawg KS and others.

Edited by .kju [PvPscene]

Realism-elitism is a problem that isn't exclusive to this community either. I personally disagree with all the bickering about it. Strangely enough different people like different things. I've found a lot of the Flight Sim community to be full of it too. Those who prefer games such as Lock On or Strike Fighters are often looked down upon as "kiddies" by DCS players for example.

With ARMA you can play it how you want. If you want to change something, just pick up modding and change it yourself like so many others have done before. It is what makes ARMA great after all.

There's no need to force your opinions on others or belittle them about their own.

Those who prefer games such as Lock On or Strike Fighters are often looked down upon as "kiddies" by DCS players for example.

Actually, I played Lock on:FC and DCS:A10 and DCS:Black Shark, and that's where I got that idea with a "more manual" locking system from; you know, slewing a reticle over some targets in the A10 to target a group of enemies WITHOUT having the ability to manual-lock would be so friggin nice!

I think some overly (or at least MORE MANUAL!) locking system would make all the noobs back off (right now, everbody who joins screams "I GRAB A PLANE AND BOMB!", and we get a lot of Friendly fire incidents from random bombing), since they'd have to WORK to target something.

As I also said, a more complicated system may screw up the AI and make them either useless or godlike, if the new system affects ONLY human players, the AI would still be able to target what they want with no problems, so it (the targeting system) would still be only prolonging the targeting for the players, and may be very useful in PvP, but when it comes to the AI, they will still probably shoot you from 7km away.

I think some overly (or at least MORE MANUAL!) locking system would make all the noobs back off (right now, everbody who joins screams "I GRAB A PLANE AND BOMB!", and we get a lot of Friendly fire incidents from random bombing), since they'd have to WORK to target something.

Doesn't really stop them though, it just means that they will just drop bombs randomly (like many do) which could actually increase FF, only finding someway of stopping them from getting into the plane first would solve it. However, I would like to see a more manual targeting system, such as the one that goes on the HUD of the aircraft, or a targeting pod.

The said suggestion would not solve everything, yet again one can only work within the limits possible.

As noted before one can remove radar capabilities for given vehicles or their vehicle position even,

one can also make vehicles not "emit" a radar signature altogether or an always white one to allow only direct click locking.

For more check the PROPER and PvPscene tweaks.

One could do this all even optionally and via difficulty settings, but the fanatics want to see the game remain pure..

Because their way is the only way.. fuck off the rest as long as they can have it their way.

Those "fanatics" just made different experiences, by for exapmle, playing SP only and can't see the problem this way, and when there are no big problems to deal with, they get replaced with smaller ones or wishes.. That modders can only work "within the limits possible" is clear to me, the list of changes needed was more pointed towards the devs since i heard a lot about disabling 2-lock and tab beeing a problem for scripters, which also makes the topic dev-material. That the radar thing is possible to do is something quite nice, but is doesn't make a lot of sense to disable radar when 2-lock or tab are still on, does it? :D Ofc - some "mando-light" or whatever which only disables the current locking system but doesn't replace it with a different one and is auto-downloadable so it can be used on public servers would be some nice thing, expecially since benny said he would ban tab in his warfare-missions if he could. But creating this doesn't seem to be possible^^

@DM

I haven't seen good suggestions or even people that represent themselves as "defender" of realism or SP/COOP players to offer compromises, did you?

I am a defender of realism, but instead of going on and on about it or zeroing out some values, I am actually putting effort into making a mod to correct the situation. A realistic approach would be more fun and challenging without reducing modern tank warfare to a game of angry birds. Improve don't remove. I won't post anything else until I have a download link.

what about restrict tab to lock in optical(drawing) view distance (which is now around 2km for example for tanks) ?

> But to make it workable you need to see cursor which is off in vet mod.

Should all cursors in vehicles be enabled for vet?

Yes!

To the rest of you: how about some productive discussion with Dr. Hladik about the specifics of A3 targeting implementation?

Yes!

To the rest of you: how about some productive discussion with Dr. Hladik about the specifics of A3 targeting implementation?

to be honest I already give up with any suggestions.as far I understand bis have own point of view how they want to see their simulation weapons in game.Unfortunately they not understand such simulation neither playable as game or exist in real life and best what they achieve was simulate zombie fighting as it most popular part in game.I don't have any illusions in a3.I even don't know why I still writing something in this section as well :)

There no single ticket was fixed for a2 in that area.Most remarkable was fixing m2a2 tow rocket on long distance :)

Everyone who I know except 2-3 guys dropped play this game long time.

Edited by kotov12345

why bother about engine/core-level enforcements/restrictions, instead of provide flexible/handy way to TWEAK them by server admins and mission creators ? generally, combined with well know "common sense", real-world specifications of related/used/refered hardware can give handy inpot into starting values/levels.