Sign in to follow this  
bushlurker

Bush's Geotypical Microterrains (with source files).

I only tested the Antartica so far, but I must say WOW! Just WOW! If you just look at the screenshots you ain't seen nothing! You must load the island and walk on it to truly see the awesomeness.

I really really wish more islands were made like that, even at the cost of object count. Having terrain detailed so much is what I always wanted, and now this shows it's actually perfectly possible, running perfectly smoothly for me at max settings (sure it has no objects but considering you don't need as many objects to make an awesome island if you use such terrain resolution and the fact it runs so smoothly without objects makes me optimistic about a full island project like that is possible).

Only problem is some mountain tops seem a pit "pointy", but I'm sure it's probably just a "needs more time spent on it to perfect it" kind of thing and if someone makes a full project using this it won't be a big problem.

i really like the yorkshire map. lovely undulating terrain.

dig to see more maps like this and a bit more vege.

Good work BL! Very nice maps.

Does BIS environment effect module work? I think it create snow, mist and dust clouds depending on type of map. Would add a lot of immersion.

Thanks

Just WOW! Had a look at all three terrains and WOW...You saved me a lot of money, now I don't need to travel to these spots for holiday :D

How long does it take to make such a map? annnnnd: could you be persuaded to make a map of a part of the Fulda gap for a 1980s tank battle scenario?

Faffingdale is purdy

perfect place to break out the UKF vehicles, they feel oddly at home in the terrain

homerange.jpg

homerange02.jpg

Incidentally feels like a perfect place for tank skirmish, lots of dead ground to hide in and get hull down

I'd pine for some Heathland style terrain but I suppose there's so many more to be represented

Pretty impressive, when I get home from this vacation I'm on I'm gonna download UKF again and all these islands.

The arctic map looks nice and Faffingdale works with UKF.

Hi again guys!

Well , just mega-thanks to everybody who's been kind enought to comment - especially the favourable ones! ;)

I think most people have caught the spirit of this little experiment nicely! it's all about atmosphere and landscape of course... though each terrain has some appropriate close-up textures and clutter/veg, etc... if you look closely you'll see it's actually mostly the same textures, the same clutter, used over and over again - in wildly different contexts... all of that was really of secondary importance to the overall landscape itself...

Basically I was trying to nail that "recognition factor" - that "familiarity factor"... whatever it is that makes you look at a landscape or a set of hills in the distance and accept it as reality... An appropriate Sat layer helps of course, but it's not enough...

Take Etah for example (named after Amundsen's lead dog on his Journey to the Pole, by the way - since nobody noticed ;)) - it looks oddly "right" with snow covering - in a way that the Afghan Valley terrain just didn't when I tried covering it with snow... it looked convincingly snow-covered textureswise, but for some reason it didn't look like the vast antarctica I've seen in the movies, etc...

DaveP picked up on this with Faffindale & the UK vehicles for example... I noticed it too...

A glance at the 2D heightmap and you can clearly see this isn't Yorkshire - it was just me "faffin' about" with noise generators ("faffin'" = "messing about with no real goal in mind" - a yorkshire colloquialism which Mondkalb picked up on immediately when I was talking about these terrains with him - thus impressing me still further with his command of English!)...

Yet - as soon as I put the terrain in-game covered with some basic grass I immediately thought - "hold on - I've been here before!"

That's not possible of course since I just made it up, so there has to be something else at work...

In that case I reckon it's that fairly gentle undulating landscape + grassy knolls combination...

To be honest - a lot of the geo-explanations accompanying each terrain were less to do with carefully pre-researched info leading to a heightmap generated to suit - and more about me trying to explain to myself why one heightmap instantly reminded me of one place, but not another - regardless of the flavour of sat layer over the top... (Etah started out as a bright orange cracked soil semi Arizona/semi Australia/Jade Wars look for example... but it just didn't look "right")...

So - have I learned anything from using you guys as recognition guinea pigs?

Well... yes and no...

I've learned I can make a basic terrain to a reasonably acceptable standard in about two evenings... always good to know I guess... but I'm still not sure why some of them were "good" and others were "bad"... :eek:

I've also learned that this 5m cell size works just nicely - so far.. and not just for me with my "recent upgrade" system, so that's deeply reassuring!

Up till now I've worked almost exclusively with real world terrains and DEM's, and there's always been something "missing"...

It's down to the resolution of course... no matter how clean and accurate a DEM is, there's detail lost because of that 32m/pixel resolution... all those sub-30m scale ground features for a start!

I chatted with Ice briefly about this recently - using noise generators on a small-scale to try and re-inject some smaller variations into the landscape again - seems like a good idea, and may help greatly to "re-detail" those low-res realworld DEM terrains... because I think tha't really the primary attractive factor about these maps... those smaller-scale variations, the little dips and rises... not wildly overdone micro-scale moonscape cratered like Proving Grounds, for example - a special case there, but just more natural smaller scale modelling.

Oh well... out of time for the moment... more pointless pondering later no doubt... and also the next terrain in the series!

Thanks once again to Big, Miller & Sickboy for mirrors and hosting! I'll tidy links into all the appropriate places later!

It was my birthday yesterday, so technically I should be going out tonight for that traditional drunken Saturday night rampage around the pubs of Glasgow which my environment, if not my genetics, demands... that might take a while ;)

Assuming I survive... next installment later tonite!

Thanks again for taking part in the little tour guys!

B

Edited by Bushlurker

New on front page at Armed Assault.info

Link to mirror :

Bush Afghan Valley (v 0.1)[CO] : http://www.armedassault.info/index.php?game=1&cat=islands&id=161

Bush Etah Plateau (v 0.1) [CO] : http://www.armedassault.info/index.php?game=1&cat=islands&id=162

Bush Faffindale (v 0.1) [CO] : http://www.armedassault.info/index.php?game=1&cat=islands&id=163

Edited by Old Bear

Awesome work Bush! You're an inspiration with this various terrains ;)

As regards your Yorkshire terrain, would you consider something I have wanted and put in map requests a few times, and that's Cumbria / The Lake District?

Great terrains BTW :yay:

I LOVE the Yorkshire map! Any chance you could make some small villages? It would be fantastic for some PVP scenarios.

Awesome work :cheers:

Just WOW !!! Your Yorkshire terrain is my favorite so far from you !

Keep up this outstanding work !

and now waitung for more :yay:

I see now what you mean witht he loading screens and the random generator. This is the first map Ive ever seen load random towns while not in the editor or in game mission so I thought it was a bug...Odd I have never seen another map do this I have almost all maps.

The town Generator I guess is what caused me to be alarmed I thought it was loading a mission when I exited but I guess in a sense It was. I downloaded your other maps by the way and I have to say I love the Snow map have yet to try Yorkshire though.I apologize I'm trying to throw dirt on your work. I used thirsk Snowstorm logic on your Snow map and it was awesome you really have to watch what your doing on the fly.Great work.

I too loved the idea behind Proving Ground and these look amazing (specially that snowy one!)

Downloading....

:)

Back to the Southern hemisphere again for our next stop - this time to the Southern Bolivian Altiplano...

ChimaslMenu.png

Chimalpopoca, Central Andes.

5.12km x 5.12km Terrain

5m Ground Resolution

The Central Volcanic Zone of the Andes is located between latitudes 14º and 29ºS of the Andean cordillera. An elevated region, much of it over 4000 m in altitude (constituting the altiplano of Bolivia and puna of northern Chile and Argentina) dominates much of this zone.

So little is known about this area that the majority of the volcanoes have never been described, and in a few cases have not even been named. Sixteen of them were considered to be "active" when the existing Catalogue of Active Volcanoes of the World was published (1963-1966).

Chimalpopoca (Smoking Shield) is an unassuming little Holocene volcano situated on the lower approaches to the Bolivian Altiplano. Much smaller than its high-altitude stratovolcano neighbours, Chimalpopoca is well above the treeline, but, at roughly 3500-4500m elevations, it's still low enough to feature grass on its lower flanks.

A catastrophic eruption episode at some point in ancient times resulted in the formation of one massive and several minor pyroclastic channels on the eastern flank, but modern-day observed activity seems to be limited to intemittent minor eruptions of ash.

This synthetic terrain depicts a classic degraded volcanic geomorphology, with major ancient pyroclastic & lava flow features and recent ash carpeting.

Heightmap 2D

Chimal2D.jpg

Heightmap 3D

Chimal3D.jpg

ChimalPic01.jpg

Chimalpic02.jpg

Chimalpic03.jpg

This terrain turned out to be one of the trickiest to implement properly...

On the one hand, this is one of the later terrains I designed, when I'd finally got the hang of dictating a basic starting structure for the landscape, before applying erosion techniques. Afghan Valley, the first to be released, was actually the last to be made, and similarly features far less random generation than the other terrains.

In this first attempt at base mapping, a simple volcano shape was the obvious choice, with a few flaws designed to induce those lava flow channels...

All of which worked remarkably well...

Another big bonus with this terrain was just how well the BIS procedural terrain picked up on some of the dramatic elevations present on the main terrain, and followed the theme off into the distance... Instant Andean Cordillera!

Less successful maybe was my attempt at texturing this fairly unfamiliar style of terrain :rolleyes:

Looking at typical photos of the region, grey ash and rock, with occasional dramatic russet brown and orange tones seem to be the order of the day... I gave it a go... In some places it works well, in others... hmmm...

Requirements

* ArmA2

The Usual Suspects

BIS - For Arma 2 of course!

Tupolov - Map Intro Script (So simple even I could use it!)

Kronzky - Urban Patrol Script (Instant intelligent wandering AI)

Foxhound & Armaholic - Invaluable dev-space hosting! & Mirrors!

JR Walker - I finally read the instructions!!

Shezan74 - World Tools!!!

Wolle - He went on holiday!

Intro Music - 'Munaq Quilla' by Chano Diaz Limaco.

Download

Chimalpopoca, Central Andes v0.1

Armaholic Mirror

Arma2Base.de Mirror

ArmedAssault.info Mirror

Also available on the Six Updater Network

Recommended Addons

As always, I recommend JTD Clear Horizons

Tomorrow is the final stop to our little world geo-tour, so I guess our destination has to be somewhere a little different from where we've been before... somewhere warm & relaxing, somewhere... somewhere over the rainbow...

B

Edited by Bushlurker

Tomorrow is the final stop to our little world geo-tour, so I guess our destination has to be somewhere a little different from where we've been before... somewhere warm & relaxing, somewhere... somewhere over the rainbow...

B

Oztralia?

Loved your Antarctica man. Awesome job. I made a fabulous tank battle on it with a10s and Tunguska buzzing around and it was a terrific terrain to do it on.