Sign in to follow this  
robbie84

Which addons and mods to use in SP to have fun?

Hi.

I finished all campaigns on hard mode, played countless user missions, finished BIS missions, etc. So, I kinda beat the game.

(PS. I have ArmA.2, ArmA.2.OA, BAF and PMC)

So I got the idea... I STILL DIDN'T play MP much! Since I don't play online much because of lag and not so polite people I rather stick to AI. And I don't have time for 2day battle.

So I was thinking the following. I saw many different mods/scripts around Armaholic that make game exciting and improved so I decided to play Warfare (no matter which kind but I guess Benny). Or something else if it is cool.

Can anyone here give me advice what mods and scripts and whatnot to use to make a great gaming experience?

I guess you know what I mean. I want great war but NO OVERPOWERED stuff.

Realistic only. And no ACE. Sorry guys. While I think your work is great, I really just want to play vanilla.

So if anyone can give a list of stuff I should include in my games or missions (I am 5/10 in editor) I would be grateful.

Problem is that there are so much stuff around and I don't know what to choose.

So any kind soul? I know there is!

Thanks in advance.

PS. If you have any further questions, I'll be happy to answer them.

Thank you.

Edited by Foxhound
Topic renamed and moved to correct section

Mods/Addons (besides named AI addons) don't serve much if they aren't built in into a mission (unless you're creating missions yourself). So instead of looking for addons and download a whole bunch which then just take HD space, better look for usermade missions that might be interesting to you and there look what addons they need.

CBA, ASR_AI, Zeus AI. AI mods that make the AI smarter and more realistic. No map mods required, plug and play.

JSRS is a nice soundmod.

Here is a launcher

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=8241

Yes, I have heard of Zeus. I will dload it now.

But aside of AI, I was thinking some other additions to the game. Pardon my newbines about this but I don't know what I can put in Warfare mission in MP Menu.

If you know any other stuff that could be included, please tell them.

Myke;1990261']Mods/Addons (besides named AI addons) don't serve much if they aren't built in into a mission (unless you're creating missions yourself). So instead of looking for addons and download a whole bunch which then just take HD space' date=' better look for usermade missions that might be interesting to you and there look what addons they need.[/quote']

As I said, I know how to make missions. Nothing special, but I always made what I pictured in my head.

--

Ok, to make this easier, I will show you something so you can tell me can that be used and what is it.

First of all, I LOVE mass battles. I played ArmA on pretty bad computer but now I got "The Beast". It runs ArmA2 at 50-60 at 85% of settings on High+ so I would like to experience huge battles. How to do that?

Another example is this. I figure this is some kind of mission but I dont know what:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZfQD4R8h-g&feature=feedrec_grec_index

Anything similar to this would be great.

Also, any scripts for mission editor that are cool and useful would be appreciated.

And anything you can think of.

Sorry for the boredom but there isn't really any other place to ask ;)

BR.

ACE is what the guy in the video is playing with...

Check my sig, its got a link to most decent mods out that are not tied to ACE.

I only play SP and I use ACE2. I know you said you only want to use vanilla but you are missing a lot of fun stuff.

Thanks for replies.

While I have read about ACE and I know it brings "realism"... But what is that exactly?

More complicated gameplay? Just a few examples would be enough. I am not enemy of hard stuff but I am just curious what it offers. Their main page is mostly talks about how good it is, not much details. Or maybe I didn't see it.

If it is really cool, I'll download it and try it.

And also PS. Does ACE has performance troubles? I have friends with average machines. They can run ArmA 2 at 20-25. I remembered some "addons" that improve performance doing some stuff like shortening the view field and similar. I wonder if those are still alive.

Edited by robbie84

There's a ton of user made missions which you can download, but also, I think what you may be after is something like Cipher, the Flashpoint series (ex. Flashpoint: Takistan) and Guerilla Warfare... which are all randomly generated missions, so infinite replay value.

I play Cipher and the Flashpoint series exclusively, as I like randomness. They are both great.

Cipher gives you a very specific mission, where a briefcase with secret documents is hidden in a randomly placed 'hot zone' (enemy area). You have to make your way over there (and it gets very dangerous as you enter the perimeter of the enemy zone), and then try and find where the briefcase is... upload the data, and then escape to an extraction zone.

The Flashpoint series is a bit more broad, giving you a random, ongoing war zone overall. You can get missions to go to a random part of the map, if you want an objective, but otherwise, it's mostly just a battle and survive, which is cool too. This one has loads of options (game modes, game settings, etc), and when you die, you become a rabbit, and can (safely) observe the continuing battle, and spawn back into nearby units whenever you wish.

Both are highly recommended (by me), if you want something that is dynamic/random.

User made missions, obviously, will be less (or not) random, but will arguably be more focused and 'choreographed'.

Hope that helps!

At the risk of slimy self-promotion, have a go of my Fire & Smoke addon, available in my sig. Adds to the atmosphere of the game where any vehicle is destroyed.

Only thing that ACE makes more complicated for common tasks you'll be doing is that there's wind deflection, setting up explosives takes slightly more time, and when using machine guns it's a good idea to have ear plugs. While flying you'll have to be careful at high speeds so you don't black out as well..

First of all, I LOVE mass battles. I played ArmA on pretty bad computer but now I got "The Beast". It runs ArmA2 at 50-60 at 85% of settings on High+ so I would like to experience huge battles. How to do that?

Another example is this. I figure this is some kind of mission but I dont know what:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZfQD4R8h-g&feature=feedrec_grec_index

Anything similar to this would be great.

BR.

Have a go at (my) PlannedAssault mission generator. What is does different is offering a web based UI, and generating a meaningful attack or defense, with maneuver units, air assaults, artillery and close-air being coordinated in their actions. It combines well with most AI mods, and has ready-to-use units for the most popular mods.

The PlannedAssault home page points to three Youtube videos offering a quick impression.

PlannedAssault has its own thread on this forum.

If you don't want all the features that come with ACE as it may be too complicated for you, I'd highly reccommend Zeus AI, which is probably the best AI modification for the game out there. The AI becomes highly aware of its surroundings, almost on par with human players.

ACE 2 and JSRS sound mod for modern afghan/iraq realistic warfare. also, I love big Arma 1 style battles using project RACS and the HSO SLA mod and CAA1. lots of fun to be had with those. for Vietnam, the Unsung mod can't be beat, and for WW2, the invasion 1944 mod is great. also, for some classic OFP/ cold war fun, check the Cold War Rearmed 2 mod. all of these are availiable on armaholic.

---------- Post added at 11:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:31 PM ----------

Thanks for replies.

While I have read about ACE and I know it brings "realism"... But what is that exactly?

I only play SP and I almost exclusively use ACE when not using other major mods like PRACS/Unsung/I44. I like it because it adds a lot of new units to the editor and fixes a lot of unrealistic things in Arma. for instance, the US Army troops carry proper M4's instead of the SCAR L's, and the Russians have AK-74M's. they also fixed a lot of things to do with vehicle armor and things like veiw ports and vehicle weapon reticles. they fixed the reticles on the ACOG's too. it is somewhat hard to explain, but it overall enhaces gameplay. it makes the AI smarter and fixes a lot of little stupid things that are messed up in the stock game, all while giving you a huge amount of content in the editor.

Ah nice. You have given me a LOT to try. Thanks all!

And PvPScene, I played A&S A LOT :) You recommended me the mod a while back. It is great.

Now I am just looking for new things to do but I will for sure return to "classic" mods.

Or ArmA.3 comes and blowes me away ;)

BR.

Alright mate. ZoneKiller makes similar game modes you may want to try.

The random missions suggested already in here I'd recommend you as well.

i recommend anything project racs :)

Heya. Sorry to resurrect the thread again :)

PvPscene, Tweaks with AI is great. Very fun.

But I am more of Warfare type of guy... few days of battle ;)

I know I can go to armaholic and look for mods, but I am curious what you think are best.

Anything except Benny?

Thanks

Try COWarMod

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=14699

that is if you have Arma2CO, you talk about fun game play, but I

think the rest on that page can speak for itself, or A2WarMod for Arma2 alone.

But COWarMod needs to be updated which is currently in the process of, but most questions that have been asked about it being problems,

questions, ect,. have been answered. If you do have questions then use the release thread.

Thanks Gunther, so far I found Cipher and the Flashpoint mods and COWarMod to be great.

Especially Flashpoint. Everything is so Random, yet great and customizable. I hope the author continues pumping out versions for custom Islands + adding more stuff. FP is GREAT!

If anyone is reading this thread and is wondering what to do - Play Flashpoing SP mission.