• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic
Nicholas
Nicholas

Warrant Officer

• Members
  • 2966 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 03:27

Absolutely loving the preview. Just curious what all of you out there have setup and running for Take On Helicopters - CP.

I've got:

Logitech G940 HOTAS - This is very useful, especially with the pedals it's very easy to set trim.

TrackIR 4 - Yay! More degrees of movements!

22" Monitor - No 3 screens....yet

In the latest revision (83244), we've added some logging of how the game detects your connected hardware peripherals. We're working on better schemes, default mappings and solving compatibility generally. If you could help us by posting the log results in this thread, together with the description of your setup as you've been doing, that would help a lot.

Depending on your OS, the RPT should be at Documents and Settings\<user>\Local Settings\Application Data\Take On Helis Preview\takeonpreview.RPT

The relevant section looks like:

Detected Joystick: Saitek X52 Pro Flight Controller
    0 ... X Axis [1,30]
    1 ... Y Axis [1,31]
Please post only joystick-related logs, instead of the entire thing, or hide it in SPOILER tags

Edited by Nicholas, 30 July 2011 - 19:11.

"The greatest way to avenge your enemy is by learning to forgive." - Takashi Tanemori

Opt Into the Development Build

AMD Drivers | NVIDIA Drivers

CameronMcDonald
CameronMcDonald

First Lieutenant

• Members
  • 5962 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 05:00

Mouse, keyboard and huge balls.

ArmAriffic
ArmAriffic

Master Gunnery Sergeant

• Members
  • 1267 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 06:54

Logitech Attack 3
Crap computer
No pedals

Edited by ArmAriffic, 24 July 2011 - 07:17.

Spoiler

EMann
EMann

Private First Class

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 12:44

I've got:

Logitech G940 HOTAS - This is very useful, especially with the pedals it's very easy to set trim.

Hey Dice, i'm thinking of splashing out on a G940 too, can you tell me what the FFB is like for TOH or other flight sims.
Based on the majority of review's out there, the feedbk has been quite positive regarding the FFB.
It's not really a huge deciding factor as i think without it the G940 pkg is still relatively well priced.

*I also wonder how many of us with Flight sticks etc fly with the Joystick between their legs (using some kind of custom bracket etc) or use a desk mount with the stick to the side or in the middle?

If your a helicopter fan i'm guessing the obvious?

My spec:

Office Desk setup
24" Monitor
Saitek EVO
No pedals

KeyCat
KeyCat

Warrant Officer

• Members
  • 2835 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 24 July 2011 - 14:05

Thrustmaster FLCS + TQS HOTAS (SWF22 modded)
I have no room for pedals so I use the antenna pot
on TQS for that, works great.
TrackIR 2

/KC
>> It's all about teamwork! <<

purepassion
purepassion

• 4358 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 14:25

been testing with my Saitek Cyborg Evo

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Macadam Cow
Macadam Cow

Master Sergeant

• Members
  • 707 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 14:58

Thrustmaster Warthog
TrackIR 5
No pedals (yet)

*I also wonder how many of us with Flight sticks etc fly with the Joystick between their legs (using some kind of custom bracket etc) or use a desk mount with the stick to the side or in the middle?

I use 2 small bed tables, on the left and right side of my chair so my stick and throttle are at legs level. It feels quite natural. I've tried putting the joystick between my legs but
1. in order to make it work properly I'd have to modify it
2. I already have a joy stick between my legs (can't make it work with any games tho) :D
I just don't understand how some people are playing with their joystick at mouse/keyboard level. Using your mouse with this setup is really unpractical and your arms are standing way to high, doesn't feel natural to me and...it's tiring :P
Posted Image

Nicholas
Nicholas

Warrant Officer

• Members
  • 2966 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 16:27

The FFB on the G940 is really good. The stick, throttle, and pedals are very smooth. You can also adjust the tension on the throttle and pedals. I absolutely love my G940.

If you do get it, be sure to download the drivers from Logitech. The device will actually show up as 3 different controllers, so it might not work good in all games. But most flight sims allow multiple controllers, so there should be no worries there.

I don't have the stick between my legs, I tried it once and felt pretty awkward. I actually play with it sitting on my desk. I tried the stick and throttle on my sides and really liked it, but I need to get a good, sturdy mount.

Another good thing about the G940 is you can hard-mount each peripheral as they all have screw holes on them.
"The greatest way to avenge your enemy is by learning to forgive." - Takashi Tanemori

EMann
EMann

Private First Class

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 19:07

Cheers Dice! yeah i think i'm gonna get one, it's in my price range. I think TOH will be worth the investment (hours of play i hope?) :rolleyes:

I use 2 small bed tables, on the left and right side of my chair so my stick and throttle are at legs level. It feels quite natural. I've tried putting the joystick between my legs but
1. in order to make it work properly I'd have to modify it
2. I already have a joy stick between my legs (can't make it work with any games tho) :D
I just don't understand how some people are playing with their joystick at mouse/keyboard level. Using your mouse with this setup is really unpractical and your arms are standing way to high, doesn't feel natural to me and...it's tiring :P

Yeah my cyborg-evo is taped to a small lamp shade table (about office chair height), it's a bit cheap but it does the job, cant fly with the stick to one side:confused:

BTW: chk- http://www.simhq.com...ology_188a.html

For center stick mount desk bracket solutions. Might get one?

Edited by EMann, 24 July 2011 - 19:13.

Nicholas
Nicholas

Warrant Officer

• Members
  • 2966 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 20:06

Those desk brackets look like they'd be pretty good. But they are damn expensive as well! I'd rather create a mounting system myself because it would be much cheaper!

-DirTyDeeDs--Ziggy-
-DirTyDeeDs--Ziggy-

Sergeant Major

• Members
  • 1854 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 00:58

Oh! I like that Warthog throttle !

I am using a HP basic keyboard with a Microsoft Intellimouse Optical and Rocketfish reversable mousepad. :P
Posted Image

Liquidpinky
Liquidpinky

Sergeant Major

• Members
  • 1565 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 12:12

Saitek Cyborg Evo, Logitech G700 mouse and G510 keyboard, Xbox 360 wireless pad, TrackIR 5 and triple 24" HP monitors.
The Cyborg needs retired now as it is a bit sticky to move from centre position and makes it a tad awkward to fly precisely, I will probably try chalk or graphite powder first as I have grown fond of it over the years and don't really want to part ways.

The Dummehs guide to running Arma2 within a RamDrive or on multiple HDDs

Spoiler

soul_assassin
soul_assassin

Chief Warrant Officer

• Members
  • 3515 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 15:48

Thrustmaster HOTAS Cougar sans pedals

-Sn1PeR-
-Sn1PeR-

Private First Class

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 16:15

i7 2600k, Asus P8Z68-V Pro, Corsair h60, Corsair AX850, 2x Asus 6950 2GB DCII CF, 16GB G.Skill DDR3 1600, Corsair 650D

3x Dell P2310H monitors landscape eyefinity (6048x1080), 28in (1920x1200) Hannspree over the top

Saitek X52 Pro, Saitek Rudder Pedals, TrackIR 5, old alps mech keyboard, Razer Deathadder

dna
dna

BI Developer

• 1696 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 13:24

In the latest revision (83244), we've added some logging of how the game detects your connected hardware peripherals. We're working on better schemes, default mappings and solving compatibility generally. If you could help us by posting the log results in this thread, together with the description of your setup as you've been doing, that would help a lot.

Depending on your OS, the RPT should be at Documents and Settings\<user>\Local Settings\Application Data\Take On Helis Preview\takeonpreview.RPT

The relevant section looks like:
Detected Joystick: Saitek X52 Pro Flight Controller
    0 ... X Axis [1,30]
    1 ... Y Axis [1,31]

Please post only joystick-related logs, instead of the entire thing, or hide it in SPOILER tags :)
Bohemia Interactive
Arma 3 - Project Lead
Watch us, tweet us, poke us

Take On Helicopters - Project Lead
Take On Noisecontrollers!

OMAC
OMAC

CWR² Mission Developer

• Members
  • 2104 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 15:28

Mouse, keyboard and huge balls.

Same here! :D

CarlGustaffa
CarlGustaffa

Captain

• Members
  • 6397 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 15:57

Thx for the update. My controls:
Logitec Wingman (pretty much an antique by now).
CH Pedals.

For the joystick I have set up switches to enable/disable manual trim, action menu up/down/selection (for airplanes I would use these for aileron trim, but in Arma I fly with mouse+keyboard, as I'm primarily infantry grunt). Num 5/(and stick button) resets view orientation, and ctrl num 5 also resets view position.

Not in use: CH Yoke and CH Twin Engine Throttles (6 levers). I also have TrackIR but don't really use it.
Regards
Carl Gustaffa - left this game due becoming Steam Exclusive :(

-DirTyDeeDs--Ziggy-
-DirTyDeeDs--Ziggy-

Sergeant Major

• Members
  • 1854 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 16:02

fyi here is the RPT for my Microsoft SideWinder Precision Pro

Detected Joystick: Microsoft SideWinder Precision Pro (USB)
0 ... X Axis [1,30]
1 ... Y Axis [1,31]
5 ... Z Rotation [1,35]
6 ... Slider [1,36]

currently using keyboard/mouse because I'm just now learning to use the joystick. credit this sim for that lesson !
Posted Image

sbsmac
sbsmac

Master Gunnery Sergeant

• Members
  • 1297 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 16:11

For Win7 it should be at

C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Take On Helis Preview\takeonhpreview.RPT

Alternatively use rptmon and just browse up a couple of directories to find the ToH rpt file.

For my X52 Pro with throttle and pedals (and a few other things) the report contains...
Spoiler

Author of PVPmissionWizard ArmA2FPSAnalyser AddonChecker and ... squint

Tools homepage

Crosseyed and Painless - a blog about my ArmA2 developments

Winchester Delta_1
Winchester Delta_1

Sergeant

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 16:58

I'm using the Saitek X-52 Pro