Sign in to follow this  
Meatball0311

F/A-18 Super Hornet

Good job, this is a great addon. Thanks!

Hey Meatball, excellent work! I downloaded the updated version of the plane, however i still can't use Mando systems even tho i put in all the game logics. I assume that it happens because Mando needs to be updated to support the F-18, right?

congrats on the release but yeah, the size is definitely too big and only the US Navy and Royal Australian Air Force fly the Super Hornet, not the USMC.

Nice job MB

congrats on the release but yeah, the size is definitely too big and only the US Navy and Royal Australian Air Force fly the Super Hornet, not the USMC.

Yes .... request RAAF unit please :D

Hey Meatball, excellent work! I downloaded the updated version of the plane, however i still can't use Mando systems even tho i put in all the game logics. I assume that it happens because Mando needs to be updated to support the F-18, right?

I am not sure why... but for now just use the F/A-18 without Mando until we get this all sorted out. Thanks!

Thanks for pointing that out... but I already know about those issues. From the beginning I have acknowledged the fact that the Marines DO NOT fly the F/A-18F but the F/A-18C and F/A-18D. This is my version of the addon and in my world the Marines fly Super Hornets ;) Ooorah! Semper Fi!!!!!!!

Gnat;1987866']Nice job MB

Yes .... request RAAF unit please :D

Yes they will come soon...

This addon is for a game where the entire US Army uses SCARS and the Russian Army all have AK-107's. I think a Super Hornet in the USMC instead of a regular F18 is a small issue...

Very well Put...Stop dissecting the thing and just be happy...;)

Great addon but no damage model?

Aslo found this lil bug in the life raft: th_h1ac002.jpg

They are floating above the raft like a foot. not game breaker but funny.

Edited by PROTOTYPE 001

Fantastic work, meatball. I'm already working on a mission for it :)

A few questions, though. Do you plan on adding a working HUD in the next version and do you have any plans to change the engine sound when its at full power? The idle sound of the plane is nice but I hate the standard bohemia jet sound with a passion.

I absolutely love the amount of features this plane has. Folding wings, the ability to jettison the fuel tank/weapons racks, etc. Its all just fantastic. Again, great work.

I have a problem. I've downloaded the file. Made a modfolder for it. And when I open up A2, the pilot and the liferaft are in game. But the F/A-18F is nowhere to be found. Help!

Great mod!

I'm not sure about the scaling, the photos we have seen are taken from wierd angles, afaik nothing is wrong with it.

a few notes to help the dev:

-the pilot does not have any gear, so when ejected he doesnt have a pistol or map.

-when using "optics"(numpad 0) the zoom goes to the dashboard, not the HUD.

-could you place it in the editor under USMC->airwing->etc.?

I think its a really complete mod, all the options in the menu and even a liferaft! Afterburners look nice too.

great job!

Just noticed that the "Real Air Weapons" is listed as required addon. In general the RAW shouldn't be a required addon unless the mission itself requires it.

Remember: the RAW addons adjust default BIS weapons to fit with the Missilebox weapons (i.e. same speeds and engagement ranges for weapons that exist as BIS aswell as Missilebox variants like a AGM-65 just to name a example.

So although i higly recommend the RAW addon if the Missilebox is in use (well, i do recommend it anyway as it adjusts the weapons closer to realistic values) it is not meant to be required. Finally, exactly because several people asked for separate addons (Missilebox and BIS adjustements) i've outsurced the RAW parts from the Missilebox.

However, the F/A-18 is not my addon nor do i have any rights to demand anything, just giving my 2 cents. Finally i'm glad there is now a F/A-18 available. Keep it up, Meatball0311.

Its great that its released and all, but its not perfect and i hope you will address these issues in the long term and not take this too harshly.

1. Cockpit player camera placement. Can't actually see what the gun reticle is pointing at, that and its not integrated into the HUD.

2. HUD colour and design. I'm really not sure what to make of it, but i do know that the HUD doesn't curve when pulling into a 90 degree position. I'm also not sure why i have to revert to manual fire so that i can use Pilot functions such as missiles and the gun.

3. VMFA writing standards look too big, possibly due to...

4. Scale, as aforementioned, but i also have a nagging feeling about the wings. I'm gonna take a few screenshots in a moment just to try and find out what the issue is, but i think its because wing textures don't flow onto the flaps.

Thats a Classic Hornet D, not entirely clear on what you're trying to show by this.

-EDIT-

Ok, here are some screens basically showing the Aircraft to the closest possible similar, the FDF Classic Hornet (...can we please have some bombs for this?! :D). I'm trying to work out what is so alien on the Super that is nagging me.

Side Profile

Top down

Rear view

Wing close up

The strange HUD

-NOTE-

The above set of images are not to scale, just references for shape of aircraft.

As for Camera position, it seems if you spawn in the Aircraft as the player, the camera is off, but if entered instead of spawning, its fine.

Starting as player

Entering vehicle after spawn

Now for all those wondering about scale, heres a few comparison shots. See if it lines up with real life, i for one don't know.

With FDF F/A-18C

With X-35A

With A-10C

With AV-8B

Make of it what you will.

Edited by Foxhound
Please do not quote images! When quoting a post with an image please remove the img tags.

OK I guess everyone is flying and blowing shit up with it, but has anyone tried to lock a missile on it ? Doesn't work small bug me thinks :P

OK I guess everyone is flying and blowing shit up with it, but has anyone tried to lock a missile on it ? Doesn't work small bug me thinks :P

That would be adressed to me as the Missilebox is from my side. So a few more info would be nice: what weapon and what tried you to lock on?

We've tried it on MP and found a quite serious bug. If there are 2 guys in the plane the gear won't stay down, it goes back up. Also if there are 2 planes at the same time in the air, if one tries to put the gear down, the other plane will automatically put it's gear down, but neither will stay down, they just retract. Anyone else having this problem?

During a quick test last night we had lots of gear issues, but I wasn't paying enough attention to compare the situations to yours.

As for not being able to be locked by a missile I was shot down by a russian plane by a missile for what that's worth. :)

Great news on release, will check it out.. cant wait!

Myke;1988239']That would be adressed to me as the Missilebox is from my side. So a few more info would be nice: what weapon and what tried you to lock on?

I experienced the same bug trying to shoot at the super hornet.

Any of the russian "R" series missles will not get a lock on, as well as the GSH cannons.

Oddly the Ch29 locks on just fine? not sure why.

haven't tested american missles like stingers against it yet, will try later

edit: would be nice to have counter measures on the super hornet too :yay:

I experienced the same bug trying to shoot at the super hornet.

Any of the russian "R" series missles will not get a lock on, as well as the GSH cannons.

Oddly the Ch29 locks on just fine? not sure why.

haven't tested american missles like stingers against it yet, will try later

edit: would be nice to have counter measures on the super hornet too :yay:

Thanks for the report, will immediately look into it. Could you please post what others addons you had runnin beside the F/A-18 and the Missilebox?

Also could you please report any issues with the weapons (except the gun, this is part of the F/A-18 addon afaik) either here or here

Edited by [FRL]Myke

Hey Myke, I ran thru the mod last night, and spoke with Meatball off and on, i am going to try and fix some of the Tex issues as i have a large to scale photo gallery of misc f-18 textures and photos from my Flight sim days, i have tightened up some of the graphics using the VRS F-18E superbug as a reference, i also noticed that the aircraft is not sitting properly, the rear main Landing gear are supposed to sit in or around 45 degrees, with the strut the runs parallel to the deck at a 90 to the deck. it is sitting almost vertical, which will give the impression that the plane is too tall, so basically its acting as if there is no load on the gear. Also i experienced some of the same issues with the lock on functions with all weapons requiring a lock, the enemy box up but thats about it..

Edited by F2F_BHO
added content

@F2F_BHO

everything related to the F/A-18 is Meatball's business, i'm only involved when it comes to external weapons (which excludes the cannon).

I've took a quick look at the config and i can't see a reason why it wont work.

Although some things come to mind:

- is MMA active?

- is it on the 2-seater or the singleseater? I know of a A2 bug that weapons wont lock on manual fire mode, happens with Vanilla A2/CO on the 2 seaters (Apache, Cobra i know for sure) aswell.

Could you please verify these points? Would be a great help for me to narrow down possible issues.